Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,910 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:02 PM

Things To Check When Buying A Used Phone - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Things To Check When Buying A Used Phone (2437 Views)

Top Guide You Need When Buying A Phone / 5 Things To Check When Buying An Android In 2017 / "Anytime You Buy Fairly Used Phone, You Could Be Buying Your Way To Prison".PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things To Check When Buying A Used Phone by HeavenlyBang(m): 10:40pm On Jan 27, 2015
So, tomorrow, for the first time in my life I'm doing a deal via OLX. I'm buying a smartphone. Thing is, I'm scared I'll be duped. Can anyone give me a list of things to check out on the phone to know if it's in good order? Or better yet, an app that checks software and hardware functionality...
Thanks!
Re: Things To Check When Buying A Used Phone by udemzyudex(m): 12:05am On Jan 28, 2015
HeavenlyBang:
So, tomorrow, for the first time in my life I'm doing a deal via OLX. I'm buying a smartphone. Thing is, I'm scared I'll be duped. Can anyone give me a list of things to check out on the phone to know if it's in good order? Or better yet, an app that checks software and hardware functionality...
Thanks!
I don't know about the app to check software and hardware functionality.. .. check the charging port, ear piece and mouth piece.. press the phone to check if there is any screen touch problem, the phone doesn't need to get a crack screen b4 it can malfunction so check well...

you can go with someone that knows a lot about the type of phone you want to buy and make sure you do the biz in a public place..
Re: Things To Check When Buying A Used Phone by dazekid(m): 12:30am On Jan 28, 2015
HeavenlyBang:
Thanks!

Okay let me give you my tips... As for software testing, download CPU-Z and Z-DeviceTest. Use CPU-Z to check the device specs and all that good stuff then use z-DeviceTest to check the hardware and compare with CPU-Z as well. 

Now to the physicals yeah, first if it is a touchscreen phone, swipe on the screen to see how responsive it is, also try to tap every part of the screen to make sure there are no dead spots. If it is a phone with physical buttons, press all of them to see if they work and are not too hard or too soft. 
Check the camera(both primary and secondary) and also check the flash to see if works. 
Insert your sim into the phone and make sure it gets a good signal, you can as well try to cover the top, back and sides to make sure this type of action doesn't inhibit signal quality. You can also try to connect to the Internet to verify that that works. 
Press the power/sleep button and volume buttons to make sure they work too. 
If you have access to both of this, connect headphones into the appropriate jack and connect the charger into its port and see if it charges. Also try to feel to make sure the phone doesn't get excessively hot. 
If you are buying an iPhone, too much hardware testing may not be necessary but if it runs iOS7 above, check to make sure there is no icloud lock on the phone and if there is, tell the person to sign out. If he can't, then bone the level. Also make sure there are no passcodes on the phone or apps to avoid issues later. 
You should play and videos on the phone to check the sound on the phone, you should probably make a call to make sure the mouthpiece and earpiece modules work as well. 

Ultimately, note what the battery is on when you start and what it is by the time you are done in comparison with the specified battery capacity to make sure there's no excess discharge.

With this tips, you should definitely get good phones from OLX whenever you deal on the site. 
I may have also missed some things so some other knowledgeable people can help me out. 

Daze.

4 Likes

Re: Things To Check When Buying A Used Phone by dazekid(m): 12:40am On Jan 28, 2015
Screenshots of CPU-Z and Z-DeviceTest working

Re: Things To Check When Buying A Used Phone by aliyug79: 1:04am On Jan 28, 2015
BUY MTN DATA SHARED FOR ANDROID AND BB 10 @ CHEAPER RATE:
1GB...1200 NAIRA
2GB...2400 NAIRA
3GB ...3600 NAIRA.
Call 08053635768 & 08143285527.
thankz.
Re: Things To Check When Buying A Used Phone by dazekid(m): 1:25am On Jan 28, 2015
aliyug79:
BUY MTN DATA SHARED FOR ANDROID AND BB 10 @ CHEAPER RATE:
1GB...1200 NAIRA
2GB...2400 NAIRA
3GB ...3600 NAIRA.
Call 08053635768 & 08143285527.
thankz.

Don't you have like a day(even anytime) job or something Or am I missing something here, maybe spamming is your job?
Re: Things To Check When Buying A Used Phone by dljbd1(m): 3:59am On Jan 28, 2015
Nice thread. Quite resourceful.
Re: Things To Check When Buying A Used Phone by initialize(m): 6:16am On Jan 28, 2015
dljbd1:
Nice thread. Quite resourceful.

I follow you come here now.

@Op

There are cheap brand new phones with good quality that you should consider... However, if you still continue with your decision, then so the following when you get to handle the phone:

1. Go with a powerbank to test the charging port.

2. Check the camera and snap enough pix with both front and back camera.

3. If it has a memory card slot, plug in a working tf card to know it's condition.

4. Play music through the back speaker

5. Put your Sim in the phone and place a call to someone. In case you don't have recharge, call customer care line of your network to determine the audio from the call speaker and also test the mic

6. Toggle on/off all connections such as Bluetooth, wlan, hotspot, infra-red grin, NFC, etc

7. Check the storage capacity and also use either cpu-z or vallemo to determine the true specs.

8. Last but not least; as it is Olx like you said. Don't go alone and make sure you sabi correct location study.

3 Likes

Re: Things To Check When Buying A Used Phone by HeavenlyBang(m): 6:29am On Jan 28, 2015
udemzyudex:

I don't know about the app to check software and hardware functionality.. .. check the charging port, ear piece and mouth piece.. press the phone to check if there is any screen touch problem, the phone doesn't need to get a crack screen b4 it can malfunction so check well...

you can go with someone that knows a lot about the type of phone you want to buy and make sure you do the biz in a public place..
Thanks, bruh. I've done enough research on the phone, for like, 3 weeks, and we're meeting in an open place.

dazekid:

Okay let me give you my tips... As for software testing, download CPU-Z and Z-DeviceTest. Use CPU-Z to check the device specs and all that good stuff then use z-DeviceTest to check the hardware and compare with CPU-Z as well.

Now to the physicals yeah, first if it is a touchscreen phone, swipe on the screen to see how responsive it is, also try to tap every part of the screen to make sure there are no dead spots. If it is a phone with physical buttons, press all of them to see if they work and are not too hard or too soft.
Check the camera(both primary and secondary) and also check the flash to see if works.
Insert your sim into the phone and make sure it gets a good signal, you can as well try to cover the top, back and sides to make sure this type of action doesn't inhibit signal quality. You can also try to connect to the Internet to verify that that works.
Press the power/sleep button and volume buttons to make sure they work too.
If you have access to both of this, connect headphones into the appropriate jack and connect the charger into its port and see if it charges. Also try to feel to make sure the phone doesn't get excessively hot.
If you are buying an iPhone, too much hardware testing may not be necessary but if it runs iOS7 above, check to make sure there is no icloud lock on the phone and if there is, tell the person to sign out. If he can't, then bone the level. Also make sure there are no passcodes on the phone or apps to avoid issues later.
You should play and videos on the phone to check the sound on the phone, you should probably make a call to make sure the mouthpiece and earpiece modules work as well.

Ultimately, note what the battery is on when you start and what it is by the time you are done in comparison with the specified battery capacity to make sure there's no excess discharge.

With this tips, you should definitely get good phones from OLX whenever you deal on the site.
I may have also missed some things so some other knowledgeable people can help me out.

Daze.
Exactly what I need. You rock!

1 Like

Re: Things To Check When Buying A Used Phone by dazekid(m): 10:35am On Jan 28, 2015
HeavenlyBang:

Thanks, bruh. I've done enough research on the phone, for like, 3 weeks, and we're meeting in an open place.

Exactly what I need. You rock!

cool you're very welcome...
Re: Things To Check When Buying A Used Phone by Emeka71(m): 11:39am On Jan 28, 2015
HeavenlyBang:
Thanks!
Check the charging-port and ear-piece also, check the battery capacity. cool
HeavenlyBang:
Thanks!
Check the charging-port and ear-piece also, check the battery capacity.
Re: Things To Check When Buying A Used Phone by Nobody: 7:52pm On Jan 30, 2015
@Op
I av a Nokia N97 fr sale
Quote me if interested cheesy
Re: Things To Check When Buying A Used Phone by ekmaxop: 7:53pm On Feb 18, 2015
30,000mAh powerbanks at wholesale price of 3,500 naira each;
12000mah powerbanks at wholesale price of 3, 000 naira each
7200mah powerbanks at wholesale price of 2,300 naira each
5600mah powerbanks at wholesale price of 1,900 naira each.
If you're ready to order, just come to
Model shop A29 opposite Abia plaza, trade fair complex, Lagos. Or call 08033863100 or 08077377940. Whatsapp if you choose to

(1) (Reply)

How Mtn Deducted My Money For Nothing / Gionee Users,come In And Share Ur Thoughts[hot] / Tips To Prevent Your Phone From Overheating

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.