Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:28 AM

Sufism In Islam. Share Your Opinions With Us. - Islam for Muslims (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Sufism In Islam. Share Your Opinions With Us. (7433 Views)

Fertility Issues And Contraception In Islam: / Ingredients Of Marital Love In Islam / What Is Sufism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sufism In Islam. Share Your Opinions With Us. by javalove(m): 6:33pm On Jan 08, 2009
"INA LAH WA MALAIKATAHU YU SOLUNA ALA NBIYYI/
YAA AYUA LAZI NA AMANU, SOLU ALEHI WA SELI MUN TASILIMA"

When these verses were revealed, the Holy Prophet Muhammad and the companions did not know how the prophet should be praised.

The prophet didnt give the companions any verses or recitations to praise him with, for the fear of turning him to a demigod as the chrisitians did to Jesus.

So, Solatu Ibrahimiyah was given to him.

If we read the meaninigs, its not only the prophet Solatu Ibrahimiya praises to remove any doubts about whether the prophet was more that what he was.

Solatul Fatih on the other hand is BIG TIME BIDIAH!!!!!

If everyone is allowed to come up with his own solatu for the prophet, then he would have been idolized, Some people might even start worshipping him

So, lets follow the hadit of the prophet that says we should leave whatever brings doubt amongst the Ummah and embrace the sunnah.

Since we all believe in Solatu Ibrahimmiyah, why the noise. Simply read it anytime. Its the approved one by The Holy Prophet and the companions.

FINALLY, NO COMPANION OF THE PROPHET READ SOLATUL FATIHI. NO

THE COMPANIONS WERE IN A BERRA POSITION TO COME UP WITH ANY TYPE OF PRAISES FOR THE PROPHET BUT THEY DIDNT AND ANYTIME THEY DID, THE PROPHET CAUTIONED THEM FOR FEAR OF CALLING HIM WHAT HE;S NOT!!!
Re: Sufism In Islam. Share Your Opinions With Us. by Jarus(m): 10:29am On Jan 09, 2009
jazakumullahu khaeran my brother
Re: Sufism In Islam. Share Your Opinions With Us. by samba123(m): 4:14pm On Jan 10, 2009
The one that is not extreme is the genuine and authentic Sufism, which is undoubtedly in perfect agreement with the Book, the Sunnah, and the practices of Salaf As-Salih (early righteous Muslims). Tasawwuf of Sufi masters such as Junyad Al-Baghdadi, Abu Sulayman Al-Darani, etc. belong to this category of authentic and genuine Tasawwuf.

In this definition along what kind of Sufism they belong if this will take into consideration? Can somebody explain this group who categorically belong as the authentic Sufism I need some information if there is any group whos followed the above definition.

-------------------------------
, “Authentic Tasawwuf is at once a cognitive and practical discipline of souls, curing of diseases of hearts, implanting of virtues, and purging souls off their vices and carnal desires, and training in patience, contentment and obedience to Allah; it is struggle against the carnal soul, and combating its base inclinations and meticulous scrutiny of actions and non-actions, and guarding souls against the invasions and influx of heedlessness and vain thoughts, and severing off all hindrances and obstacles that hinder and hamper one’s journey to Allah; it is asceticism in everything that distracts a person from celebrating remembrance of Allah and make one’s hearts focused on it.

This is True…but most of our brothers and sisters do not know how to cure our hearts.
Re: Sufism In Islam. Share Your Opinions With Us. by babs787(m): 8:23pm On Jan 11, 2009
They are divided into two groups, one is extreme and one that is not extreme. The extremist group rejects the Attributes of Knowledge, Desire, Ability and Creating from Allaah in favor of the actions of the servant. However, they reject its occurring by His Desire, Ability and Creating. This is what their belief is founded upon.

The one that is not extreme is the genuine and authentic Sufism, which is undoubtedly in perfect agreement with the Book, the Sunnah, and the practices of Salaf As-Salih (early righteous Muslims). Tasawwuf of Sufi masters such as Junyad Al-Baghdadi, Abu Sulayman Al-Darani, etc. belong to this category of authentic and genuine Tasawwuf.

The extreme sufism is a pseudo-Sufism which includes those who uphold and advocate cultic practices or customs that are contrary to the Sunnah, as well as those who have mixed Sufism with speculative Mysticism/Neo-Platonism, and thus dabble in metaphysical theories about cosmos, emanations, etc. Both these groups are charlatans and impostors. While the former invent new forms of `Ibadah (acts of worship) that are not sanctioned by the Law-giver, the latter mix philosophy with religion and blur the essential distinction between the Creator and creation, which is the basis of Prophetic religion. There is no doubt that indulgence in such forms of Sufism takes humans away from their true purpose and mission in life which is to do God’s will on earth. These pseudo-Sufis turn the goal of human life into contemplation of mysteries of the universe; it is contrary to the Qur’anic definition of the purpose of human existence.

It is because of the real dangers inherent in such aberrations, and deviations that the early Sufi masters tirelessly preached the importance of weighing everything by the firm yardstick of the Shari`ah: Abu Al-Qasim Al-Junayd, one of the genuine masters of authentic Tasawwuf, said, “The essence of Tawhid (monotheism) is to distinguish the eternal from the temporal”; he also said, “Whoever does not retain the Qur’an, nor studies the Hadith cannot be trusted in this matter (Tasawwuf) since our knowledge is bound solely by the teachings of the Book and the Sunnah.”

Abu Sulayman Ad-Darani said, “Often one of the insights of the Sufi folk occurs to me and yet I do not accept it until I examine it by the testimony of the two of the most reliable witnesses: the Book of Allah and the Sunnah of the Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him.”
Re: Sufism In Islam. Share Your Opinions With Us. by sherifage(m): 1:32pm On Sep 18, 2009
SUFISM IN ISLAM
my believe is that sufism is the best path that a muslim can move closer to Allah.let me tell u if not the sufis like uthman dan fodio,it is only god that knows where islam will be today in nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Sufism In Islam. Share Your Opinions With Us. by Jarus(m): 3:09pm On Sep 18, 2009
sherifage:

SUFISM IN ISLAM
my believe is that sufism is the best path that a muslim can move closer to Allah.let me tell u if not the sufis like uthman dan fodio,it is only god that knows where islam will be today in nigeria.

Nope. We don't look at people, we look at doctrine. We recognize the efforts of Sheikh Uthman dan Fodio(If he's truly a sufi) and appreciate him, but that doesn't mean Sufism is right. The only authority is Allah and His prophet(PBUH).
Re: Sufism In Islam. Share Your Opinions With Us. by sherifage(m): 5:59am On Sep 20, 2009
what is in the sufism that is not right?Sufism is built only on three pillars 1.Istagfirlllah 2.solatu ala nabiyyi 3. ad dhikr.SO WHICH OF THESE THREE THINGS WILL u tell me is not good or unlawful to be doing,is it astagfrillah(seeking forgiveness from Allah) or as solatu(seeking blessing for the holy prophet p.b.u.h) or ad dhikr(remembrance of Allah).
these three things are commandments from Allah which each having its prove in the holy quran.i don`t really think we should be wooried about sufism.the only thing will can worry ourselves on is how to win more souls into Islam and how to prevent muslims from crosssing over.MA SALAM

2 Likes

Re: Sufism In Islam. Share Your Opinions With Us. by AFEEFA(f): 10:18am On Sep 21, 2009
For me,Quran and Hadith are my the keys to my Islam.
Re: Sufism In Islam. Share Your Opinions With Us. by Jarus(m): 10:59am On Sep 21, 2009
AFEEFA:

For me,Quran and Hadith are my the keys to my Islam.
Me too o
Re: Sufism In Islam. Share Your Opinions With Us. by justfash50: 6:38pm On Sep 21, 2009
Me too, the Holy Quran and Hadiths.

May Allah Continue to guide us alright.amin
Re: Sufism In Islam. Share Your Opinions With Us. by sherifage(m): 1:03pm On Sep 22, 2009
I AGREE WITH U THAT THE QURAN AND THE SUNNAH IS OKAY.YES I ALSO AGREE WITH U.THE REASON BEING THAT ALL THE 3THINGS I SAID SUFISM IS BUILT ON ARE BOTH IN THE QURAN AND ARE ALSO SUNNAH OF THE HOLY PROPHET.WE CAN SEE MANY VERSES IN THE HOLY QURAN THAT TALK ABOUT FORGIVENESS WHICH WE ALL KNOW.FURTHERMORE BESEECHING BLESSING ON THE HOLY PROPHET [S.A.W] IS IN THE HOLY QURAN/LASTLY THE DHIKR IS ALSO THERE.SO WHAT ELSE?THAT MEANS THE REAL FOLLOWERS OF THE WORD OF ALMIGHTYALLAH ARE THOSE THAT FOLLOW THIS COMMANDMENTS[THE SUFIS].
WHERE THE PROBLEM LIES IS THAT NOBODY IS READY TO TAKE WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING.WE ALL HAVE THAT PROBLEM.BE U A TMC,TIJANIYYAH,QUADRIYYAH,MSSN,ACADEMICIAN,SUNNI,TABLIG ETC LET US ALL TRY TO TAKE AND ADOPT ANYTHING THAT PROMOTES ISLAM.THERE IS NO BID`A ANYWHERE.EVERY THING THAT THIS SUFIS ARE DOING ARE WELL PROVEN FOR IN THE HOLY QURAN/MA SALAM
Re: Sufism In Islam. Share Your Opinions With Us. by Abuzola(m): 1:15pm On Sep 22, 2009
Hmmm
Re: Sufism In Islam. Share Your Opinions With Us. by sherifage(m): 1:38pm On Sep 22, 2009
abuzola why hmm?that is the main fact think about it very deep.u will see that i am telling u the plain truth and nothing bt the truth
Re: Sufism In Islam. Share Your Opinions With Us. by Abuzola(m): 1:54pm On Sep 22, 2009
You said the truth man. Am just wondering if what you people are posting is true with the lineage of saying the same word
Re: Sufism In Islam. Share Your Opinions With Us. by sherifage(m): 3:00pm On Sep 23, 2009
thanx man. don`t mind them.they really know the truth but they won`t want to say it just because they didn`t belong to the group or becos their group has a different ideology from those of the sufis.
so man will u like to join the sufi group?if yes,why not look for any tijaniyyah group in ur area to join.i can help with all other info u may need concerning the sufi path.thanx once again for hearing and accepting the truth.
SHERIFDEEN
Re: Sufism In Islam. Share Your Opinions With Us. by Abuzola(m): 3:11pm On Sep 23, 2009
Am not a sufi and will never be . Am ahlu sunnah strictly Quran or hadith anything outside this bidia, such as solatul fati and exaggreting the praise of Prophet Muhammad which he forbade
Re: Sufism In Islam. Share Your Opinions With Us. by olalekan1(m): 2:19pm On Sep 28, 2009
sherifage:

what is in the sufism that is not right?Sufism is built only on three pillars 1.Istagfirlllah 2.solatu ala nabiyyi 3. ad dhikr.SO WHICH OF THESE THREE THINGS WILL u tell me is not good or unlawful to be doing,is it astagfrillah(seeking forgiveness from Allah) or as solatu(seeking blessing for the holy prophet p.b.u.h) or ad dhikr(remembrance of Allah).
these three things are commandments from Allah which each having its prove in the holy quran.i don`t really think we should be wooried about sufism.the only thing will can worry ourselves on is how to win more souls into Islam and how to prevent muslims from crosssing over.MA SALAM
Nice thread and interesting topic here.
If sufi is based on the 3 things (Istigfar, asalat, and dikihr) Are you telling me thats all they do? What about those prayer they write in paper and by just looking at it you will not find any lai ila ila alahu, istigifar or asalat in it? Thats not all they have some things they hide. I am sure of that. There are some prayers they recite which draw jin to them and they send the jin on any errand they want. May Almighty Allah forgive me as you are the knoweth of all things.
Re: Sufism In Islam. Share Your Opinions With Us. by jlo247(m): 11:54am On Jul 14, 2013
what about their jairatukamal does prophet muhammed salalau aleiwasalem recomend it?
Re: Sufism In Islam. Share Your Opinions With Us. by LagosShia: 10:19pm On Jul 15, 2013
[size=14pt]History and Textuality: Shia Opposition to Sufism [/size]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UguwRKiwag
Re: Sufism In Islam. Share Your Opinions With Us. by BetaThings: 7:28am On Jul 16, 2013
trukoments: No time to reply this, but I'm sure Olabowale and babs87 will do justice to it.

i've attended the garthering in london where people of differnt age,color and nationality go every friday to recite istigfar and la ilaha ila lah, in fact it was very good, i pray Allah not to remove us from the garthering of people who recites la ila ila lah always.

furthermore someone posted that the holy prophet did not do such and such when he was alive,i would ask the person this, did the holy Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w) [b]drive or ride in a car?did he open an account i[/b]n the bank?,if not why do you have to do it if he did not do those things, think, !
Although our bother, Olawale, has anwered this, I want to add to his statements
Bidah has to do with practice of islam, not what people do in their everyday life
Non-muslims drive cars, open bank accounts etc. So it is clear that these are not religious acts and the rules of bidah don't cover them
But non-muslim don't recite Laa illah Allah because it it is religious and we have to guard against bidah here
We listen to news on radio. But we cannot be physically alone and join a congregational prayer simply because we can hear the recitation etc on radio

1 Like

Re: Sufism In Islam. Share Your Opinions With Us. by BetaThings: 7:55am On Jul 16, 2013
sherifage: what is in the sufism that is not right?Sufism is built only on three pillars 1.Istagfirlllah 2.solatu ala nabiyyi 3. ad dhikr.SO WHICH OF THESE THREE THINGS WILL u tell me is not good or unlawful to be doing,is it astagfrillah(seeking forgiveness from Allah) or as solatu(seeking blessing for the holy prophet p.b.u.h) or ad dhikr(remembrance of Allah).these three things are commandments from Allah which each having its prove in the holy quran.

The difference between a sin and bidah is that a sin is usually not justified, but bidah is justified because people will say it is legislated
Praising the prophet (SAW) is legislated. But he (SAW) said

"Do not exaggerate about me as the Christians exaggerated about the son of Maryam. I am only a slave, so say 'the slave and Messenger of Allah." (Bukhari

sherifage:
i don`t really think we should be wooried about sufism.the only thing will can worry ourselves on is how to win more souls into Islam and how to prevent muslims from crosssing over.MA SALAM

Should we stop worrying about bidah then?
Should we allow anything in a bid to stop people from converting?

1 Like

Re: Sufism In Islam. Share Your Opinions With Us. by BetaThings: 8:18am On Jul 16, 2013
hajifaty: I don't think there is anything wrong in sufism should it be Tijaniyat or qadiriyat. Infact if you do practice sufism you will surely experience new life and new knowledge about Allah after cleansen your Soul with istigifarul,Solatul li fatih and Laila ila Allahu.
Fari fu ni qabula anta budu ni. Know me before you start worshipping me.
Masallam

I am always wary of dua and dhikr that seem to have very beautiful meanings.
This is because what the Prophet (SAW) taught us are always better
Look at salatul Ibrahimiyah and Fathi

Now let us remember this hadith

'Juwairiyah bint Al-Harith (May Allah be pleased with her) reported, the Mother of the Believers: The Prophet (PBUH) came out from my apartment in the morning as I was busy in performing the dawn prayer. He came back in the forenoon and found me sitting there. The Prophet (PBUH) said, "Are you still in the same position as I left you.'' I replied in the affirmative. Thereupon the Prophet said, "I recited four words three times after I had left you. If these are to be weighed against all you have recited since morning, these will be heavier. These are: Subhan-Allahi wa bihamdihi, `adada khalqihi, wa rida nafsihi, wa zinatah `arshihi, wa midada kalimatihi [Allah is free from imperfection and I begin with His praise, as many times as the number of His creatures, in accordance with His Good Pleasure, equal to the weight of His Throne and equal to the ink that may be used in recording the words (for His Praise)].';''[Sahih Muslim].

As for knowing Allah, the Qur'an is filled with the names and attributes of Allah. Studying these with a sound book of tafsir is much better, in my opinion, than trying to know him through salatul fathi

And we read in that excellent book of Tawhid by Dr Bilal Philips that Shayk Qadr himself related how while he was doing dhikr, a white and blinding light appeared and a voice told him that he (Shayk Qadr) had attained high status through his dhikr and he was no longer required to perform salat. Shayk Qadr asked the voice if he was Allah the one besides whom no one should be worshipped. The light disappeared. Shayk Qadr given his sincerity and steadfastness knew that was shaytan and he told people

How many people have been led astray by such experisnce

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sufism In Islam. Share Your Opinions With Us. by hegelian: 3:24pm On Jul 16, 2013
hajifaty: Sallam alaikum fellow brothers and Sisters. We would like you to share your opinions with us about sufism in Islam.
Well, to my own understanding I think sufism is another step forward of knowing more about our God through teribiya and terikia. Sufism is widely known among muslims in africa(naija,senegal,gambia egypt etc). it is also practice in india,turkey and many other places around the world. But the way it is practice is totally different from each other.What is your opinion about sufism?

sufism bring back the spirituality that was lost in the mainstream Islam. after the death of prophet, there were wars and counter wars (most of these ways were driven by selfish desires. bounty and the love for money), islam was reduced to a physical thing (when you look at sunni sect all u see is physicality and nothing more. they place extreme signifance to the physical, interpreting everything to suite their physical need. spirituality was lost). sufism came to cleanse this and bring back what was desired in islam (when u look at the practise of different sufi sect, u will not see anything different other than a form of austere action. trying to give up everything for the love of God. though the sufi have almost lost the real reason why it started. all u see now is muqaddam this and muqaddam that and nothing of value again. the muqqaams too are now being fired by the love and crave for power, fame and money).

sufism try to teach that humanity is one and that there are different level of truth, that our goal is to reach the highest stage.

humanity is a combination of physical and spiritual. a good religion must take care of both in equal proportion something that is not available in sunni. (everything to them is about collecting reward and outward physical appearance and women). when u meet a genuine sufi, they are not doing what they do for the sake of reward (the do it because they know its the ryt thing to do. they will tell you Allah knows whats good for them), they feel the pain of every living soul, they will tell you they dont have enemies (sunni, shia, wahabbis of nowadays are always having one enemy or the other). you will hardly see a sufi preaching hatred amongst God creation
Re: Sufism In Islam. Share Your Opinions With Us. by abdurrazaq(m): 7:29pm On Jul 16, 2013
1. Were there groups/divisions like shia and sunni in the days of the prophet?
2. Was the second call to prayer during jumaat service sanctioned by the prophet?
Re: Sufism In Islam. Share Your Opinions With Us. by LagosShia: 9:24am On Jul 17, 2013
abdurrazaq: 1. Were there groups/divisions like shia and sunni in the days of the prophet?

Sufism is not a sect or a group in the sense of it being a school of thought.Sufism is a movement that present similar practices (among its adherents) to "increase spirituality through acts of prayers/worship".it does not have for instance fundamentals in religion that are different from the Sunni or Shia.the Shia for instance have Imamate as a fundamental (Usool ud-Deen) belief- alongside Tawheed,Nubuwwah,Qiyamat and Adl (justice of God)- that sets the Sunnis apart from them.the Sufis on the other hand can be Shia or Sunni.there are Shia Sufis and Sunni Sufis.the Sufis cut across the Shia-Sunni sectarian divide.they are not for instance like the (Sunni) Salafists/Wahhabis,who are are never Shia.the Salafists/Wahhabis,even though an ideological movement different to the mainstream Sunnis,always insist they are Sunnis or a part of Sunnis.

Irfan (translated as mysticism) is what Sufism is built upon.Irfan (literally seeking to know God) is part and parcel of Islam.it is about increasing spirituality and the ma'rifa (knowledge) of Allah (swt) and also the creation of Allah (swt).this however cannot be turned into a movement or an institution.it is a personal development whereby each individual develops his or her own spirituality in a sincere way.the Quran says "successful is he who purifies the soul,and lost is he who desecrates it".Sufism is institutionalized and have incorporated practices sometimes deemed forbidden to achieve "spirituality" on the collective level in a mechanized way.spirituality and ma'rifa have different levels from person to person and Allah (swt) is most knowledgeable on our iman and what is in our hearts.so there is no reason for grouping people together to attain in a mechanized way of "spirituality" through collective practices sometimes deemed as alien to Islam.i wonder if there remains any spirituality if practices become mechanized.even when we fasting as we are doing presently,it is a test that differs from individual to individual-you are testing on some many ways as an individual during this period,in which some people excel more than others.imagine if during fasting a movement is born asking its adherents to veil their eyes,so as to have the gaze lowered and avoid sinful views.it would become meaningless.you as an individual when tested with sinful views,you must have the strength within to turn your eyes away and grow pious.

LagosShia: [size=14pt]History and Textuality: Shia Opposition to Sufism [/size]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UguwRKiwag
Re: Sufism In Islam. Share Your Opinions With Us. by abdurrazaq(m): 10:12pm On Jul 18, 2013
The question I asked is to establish the begining of shia/sunni sect in Islam. From my little and hasty research, these sects were introduced after the lifetime of the prophet SAW and ‘Muslims‘ seems to be alright with the despite the fact that the prophet did not sanction any of the two. But, sufism that has proofs widely spread in the Quran seems to be the ‘bidah‘.

Ma‘arifah ALLAH, which is one of the core aim of sufism, can be achieved through congregation/movement as it‘s done although, the level of development in knowledge will differ as it is among the general muslim community.

Salam.
Re: Sufism In Islam. Share Your Opinions With Us. by LagosShia: 11:49pm On Jul 18, 2013
abdurrazaq: The question I asked is to establish the begining of shia/sunni sect in Islam. From my little and hasty research, these sects were introduced after the lifetime of the prophet SAW and ‘Muslims‘ seems to be alright with the despite the fact that the prophet did not sanction any of the two. But, sufism that has proofs widely spread in the Quran seems to be the ‘bidah‘.

Ma‘arifah ALLAH, which is one of the core aim of sufism, can be achieved through congregation/movement as it‘s done although, the level of development in knowledge will differ as it is among the general muslim community.

Salam.

the Shia-Sunni split happened after the Prophet (sa).however as a Shia myself (which you can see of my opinion as biased),what the Shia follow that the Sunnis do not is Imamate.Imamate is a fundamental (usool) of deen for any Shia,while it is not to the Sunnis.from a Shia view,Imamate is found in the Quran and Hadiths,yet the Sunnis do not follow it.

now coming to the question of Ma'rifa (knowing Allah) and the Sufi movement (be it Shia Sufis,or Sunni Sufis) organizing on the basis of Ma'rifa as the purpose for an identity,you cannot claim that any Muslim does not "know Allah",or if he is carrying out the obligations in Islam (like fasting and praying) he is still lacking in knowing Allah (swt) except he be Sufi;Sufis do not hold a monopoly over ma'rifa as Shia do over Imamate because Sunnis themselves admit to reject the doctrine of Imamate.no one gets to judge that on Ma'rifa, especially when all muslims do not deny trying to get closer to Allah (swt).

also,it is a big misunderstanding for you to compare the Shia and Sunnis, as the two branches of islam,to Sufis or Sufism.Sufism is not a sect but a spiritual movement.as Sufi as anyone can get,you are still either identified as Shia or Sunni.there are Shia Sufis in places like Iran,and Sunni Sufis in places like Turkey and Egypt.being Sufi does not exclude you from associating yourself as a Shia or Sunni,and following and been convinced by either of the two.
Re: Sufism In Islam. Share Your Opinions With Us. by vedaxcool(m): 10:56am On Jul 19, 2013
LagosShia:
it is very funny that someone above is calling Saudi Arabia a "theocracy".monarchy and theocracy are two different things,and monarchy have no basis and no place in Islam ,be you as Sunni as Salaheddine or as Shia as Ayatollah Khomeini.

grin grin grin
Re: Sufism In Islam. Share Your Opinions With Us. by BetaThings: 8:52am On Jul 20, 2013
abdurrazaq: The question I asked is to establish the begining of shia/sunni sect in Islam. From my little and hasty research, these sects were introduced after the lifetime of the prophet SAW and ‘Muslims‘ seems to be alright with the despite the fact that the prophet did not sanction any of the two. But, sufism that has proofs widely spread in the Quran seems to be the ‘bidah‘.

I don't think you want to derail this thread by talking about sects
People have fundamental differences
Sunnis don't declare that Abu Bakr, Umar, and Uthman (RAA) usurped the right of Ali (RA) to become caliph after the Prophet (SAW)
Sunnis believe that they will all enter Jannah. Shias believe only Ali (RA) will go to Jannah
You cannot sit on the fence here. If you believe the sunni position, you are sunni, otherwise you are Shia
Sorry, no choice here

abdurrazaq:
Salam.

Why should that become a major issue? Was that what the Prophet (SAW) taught us?
If I study the names and attributes of Allah in the Qur'an using tafsir books, and I make dhikr to Allah by myself, you mean I will still not know him?
Do you also declare that I cannot cross the sirat bridge by myself?
Or that I need to become a murid so that my shayk will help me cross the bridge?

I will also like to know the attributes and powers of a Gawth
Re: Sufism In Islam. Share Your Opinions With Us. by skamoh74: 7:16pm On Sep 16, 2014
My believe is that we must 1st understand d word ''BIDIA'' according to the hadith. That is when we can determine if sufism or solatul fatihi is bidia or nt?

Wa sharrul Umoori Muhdathaatuhaa, Wa kulla Bid'atin dhaialah, wa kulla dhalatin fin-naar" Al-Hadith (Sahih Muslim). Translation of the above Hadith: ''Every innovation is a misguidance and every misguidance goes to Hell fire.''

1- what is the meaning of inovation in the above hadith?
2- In which hadith is inovation defined as what the prophet and khalefas didn't do?
3- what are the yardsticks 4 determination of bidia by the kalefas?
Re: Sufism In Islam. Share Your Opinions With Us. by AlBaqir(m): 7:37pm On Sep 19, 2014
BetaThings:

I am always wary of dua and dhikr that seem to have very beautiful meanings.
This is because what the Prophet (SAW) taught us are always better

First, We need to understand the concept of Du'a or Dhikr. In Islam, you are at liberty to do whatever Du'a or Dhikr in any language you can express yourself. Those recommended in the Quran, hadith or those Formulated individually based on the Quran or hadith. If you are consistent with a particular set of Du'a or Dhikr with your heart present, that Du'a or Dhikr will lift you more than you can ever imagine.

As per recommended Du'as, no doubt those recommended by the holy prophet (peace be on him and his household) are the very best. Alas! Those Du'a are never gonna work or bring you any reward if you do not emulate the prophet (peace be on him and his household) or your practice are contrary to the meaning of the Du'a itself. Then Allah answer all Du'a based on the quality of the Du'a and sincerity of the heart of the person.

Many atimes he (peace be on him and his household) recommend different Du'a for different individuals among his companions based on personality and capability of the individuals. In this case, its not a FIXED OBLIGATION upon ALL muslims to perform that particular Du'a. Sometimes, he (peace be on him and his household) gives GENERAL du'a in its simplest form to every sundry taking cognizance of the weak, rich, poor making sure there is no BURDEN upon anyone's shoulder.

For example, the prophet (peace be on him and his household) never perform salat while leading jama'a with long suras. He only pray with short and medium-sized suras taking cognizance of the weak, old, children etc. However, there are reports that while ALONE, he recited long suras that his feet swell.

BetaThings:
Look at salatul Ibrahimiyah and Fathi

Salatul Ibrahimiyyah is an excellent salat recommended by the holy prophet (peace be on him and his household) to those set of companions who asked him how they will seek prayer (salat and baraka) for the prophet (peace be on him and his household) as commanded by Allah.

That doesn't mean ONLY salat Ibrahimiyah is VALID and no salat ala Nabiyy can be performed even if its not recorded in the book of hadith.

Here's a case:
In sahih Muslim book 007 number 2667 and 2668:

"Abdullah b. ‘Umar reported that the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) entered upon the state of Ihram near the mosque at Dhu’l-Hulaifa as his camel stood by it and he said: Here I am at Thy service, O Lord; here I am at Thy service: here I am at Thy service. There is no associate with Thee. Here I am at Thy service. All praise and grace is due to Thee and the sovereignty (too). There is no associate with Thee. They (the people) said that ‘Abdullah b. ‘Umar said that was the Talbiya of the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him).

Nafi’ said: ‘Abdullah made THIS ADDITION to it: Here I am at Thy service; here I am at Thy service; ready to obey Thee. The Good is in Thy Hand. Here I am at Thy service. Unto Thee is the petition and deed (is also for Thee)."

It is crystal clear from the above-quoted hadith that Abdullah Ibn Umar aside the Talbiyah of the holy prophet (saws) added his own wording. Has he perform bid'ah (HARAM)? Absolutely NO! The prophet (peace be on him and his household) open the door and give guidelines. Therefore formulating within this scope is no sin or offense.

Looking through different form of salat ala Nabiyy recorded in the books of hadith, the commonest inseparable ingredient in ALL is "seeking blessing for Muhammad and his household". Any form of salat without this is invalid. Sheik Nasir deen al-Albani stressed this in his book where he talked about 'salat ala Nabiyy'; suprisingly, he even criticized those who only say salat on Muhammad but not include his household.

Now looking at Salatil Fatih, every single content of this Salat has a reference in the holy Quran or authentic hadith; and it contain "seeking blessing for Muhammad and his household".

The controversy surrounding this salat is what we should condemn not the salat itself. Controversy like: its reward is greater than Quran or it can replace obligatory salat etc

2. The saying of RadiAllahu anhum or Ridwanullahi alehi after mentioning names of sahaba.

3. Tarawih prayer which the 2nd caliph established and tagged "Bid'a Hassana"

Those underlined phrases and practices were NEVER recommended or commanded or done by the holy prophet. Muslims formulated these themselves. This is however a slap to those who always label everything not recorded in their books of hadith, a BID'A and HARAM.
Re: Sufism In Islam. Share Your Opinions With Us. by AlBaqir(m): 7:41pm On Sep 19, 2014
BetaThings:
As for knowing Allah, the Qur'an is filled with the names and attributes of Allah. Studying these with a sound book of tafsir is much better, in my opinion, than trying to know him through salatul fathi

How many people have been led astray by such experisnce

Well said! Note that "Ma'arifatullah (knowing Allah)" is of two types:

1. Intellectual or philosophical knowledge of Allah.
This entail ALL argument you can ever established rationally, theoretically, intellectually or philosophically to prove the existence of Allah. Quran is filled with this. E.g

"Have you not see the heavens and the earth...

"If you ask them 'who created the heaven and the earth..."

"In the creation of heaven and earth, in the alternation of the days and nights, there are signs...

"Do they not see as the ship sail through the seas? Is it by their power or by Our powers...
Etc etc etc.

2. Spiritual or Experiencial Knowledge of Allah.
Man is comprised of two entities: the physical or material entity (matter) and the soul or spiritual entity.

The soul or spiritual entity is best soar in its natural habitat - the spiritual world and dimension just like the physical entity is compatible with its material world.

How can one purify, train and mold his "soul or spiritual entity" so that the temporal inseparable physical body or any whatsoever material entity will not hinder it from "knowing Allah" spiritually which is far beyond the philosophical knowledge of Allah?

This is the essence of "Tasawwuf (mysticism)" or "sufiism". "Sufiism" has a long history among the companion of the holy prophet (peace be on him and his household). "Sufiism" is not a sect or group but a movement thereby there are "Sufi" within Sunni and Shi'a and what have you.

This is not a place to go down memory lane when and why the term "sufi" was used.

However, Socially and politically speaking, "Sufi" is a group, a sect broke down into what we see today: Qadriyah, Tijaniyah, Jafariyah etc with formulated practices which they claimed have gained divine sanction. Some orders of the "sufi" went to the extent of separating the tariqah (spiritual ways or path) from the Shariah (Islamic precepts) thereby doing what is contrary to Allah's and prophet's rules and regulations yet claiming to be sprititualist and all that. That is heresy!

The Islamic acts of worship is enough to be sufficient for gaining proximity to Allah.
Islam prescribe: Shariah (Islamic precepts) - Tariqah (spiritual path and journey) - Haqiqa (the Truth) in that order.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Be The Best To Your Parents / Bilal The Blackman Was Never Set Free By Prophet Muhammad / Gems Of The Quran

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.