Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,758 members, 7,809,923 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:14 PM

LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU (32367 Views)

LAUTECH Students Post Obituary Of Their VC, Prof. Sulaiman Gbadegesin (Photo) / LASU VC, Fagbohun In Naval Cadet Uniform (Photos) / New Waste Bins Used In LASU (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by repairer1484: 6:23pm On Jan 29, 2015
noblealuu:
I knw where the PhD stuff is coming from, I think MBBCH

It really baffles me,when people just open their mouth to say anything without thinking,pls someone should enlighten the ignorant ASUU guy that a fellowship in a postgraduate medical college faculty anywhere in the world equals a doctor of philosophy(if not more) ,then the man proceeded to research publications in Medical field and became a professor of medicine.

Someone should pls help me tell the foolish ASUU guy to go and enlighten his dark mind.
Mtsheeew,wanting Unnecessary Public Relevance...mumu
Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by Anticabal: 6:36pm On Jan 29, 2015
emmaliver:
He is obviously a medical doctor ( judging from his response) if this is the case, he doesnt need a PHD to become a professor.. All he needs is his recidency training NUC recognizes that Consultancy status/ Fellowship of a College is higher than a PHD cert. So He progressed in his academic life via d Consultancy pathway n became a prof!

Why the hell do you guys love telling lies?. Haven't you seen Physicians with MD and PhD like "Jakie Chan PhD MD"? . Who told you he doesn't need a Ph.D to lecture?. If "Dr. Jakie Chan" (with his M.D and Ph.D) becomes a lecturer tommorow and then goes on to become a Professor and then a V.C, why should anyone have qualms with that?
Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by porka: 6:41pm On Jan 29, 2015
SEYIKP:
How on earth will a prof. not have PhD. we are in Nigeria sha were everything goes. oga show them your certificate and let sleeping dog lies.

A PhD is not a pre-requisite for a professorial award.

In another news...

Osinbajo does not have a PhD.
Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by porka: 6:48pm On Jan 29, 2015
eaglechild:
Fellowship in the field of medicine is actually equivalent to PhD and with sub specialization it is equivalent to post PhD.

You people have come again.

A fellowship is a fellowship, a PhD is a PhD.

They are not the same and they are not equivalent in any way.

People still have a PhD in medicine.

1 Like

Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by Evvilgenius: 6:50pm On Jan 29, 2015
Anticabal:

Don't be deluded oga, don't let your lecturers deceive you. A phD is an academic doctorate applicable to our Universities mileu while a fellowship is a professional DIPLOMA. Garnish it with whatever name you want, it can never be academically superior to a PhD in the Academia. Stop lying to people.

Loool. You've proven your ignorance beyond reasonable doubts, and you're so not ready to learn.

Try to do a lil research before commenting in a public forum. Postgraduate studies in clinical sciences is usually by residency which takes 5 to 12 years depending on what one wants to do. The training is full time in every respect, and thesis and dissertation is done.
THE INDIVIDUAL MUST ALSO ADD RELEVANT KNOWLEDGE TO THE FIELD before being awarded a fellowship status which has been(from time immemorial) and will always be SUPERIOR TO A PHD IN EVERY RESPECT.
Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by Nobody: 6:54pm On Jan 29, 2015
Anticabal:

Why the hell do you guys love telling lies?. Haven't you seen Physicians with MD and PhD like "Jakie Chan PhD MD"? . Who told you he doesn't need a Ph.D to lecture?. If "Dr. Jakie Chan" (with his M.D and Ph.D) becomes a lecturer tommorow and then goes on to become a Professor and then a V.C, why should anyone have qualms with that?

is there any phd in surgery? do u need phd to treat patients? worldwide, it is not compulsory for holder of md,mbbs etc to have phd before becoming professor. it is a matter of personal choice. v.c of u.i is a professor of medicine without phd. ASUU should go and sleep.

2 Likes

Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by porka: 6:55pm On Jan 29, 2015
larek14:
Obama is a law professor without a PhD as well as Clinton. Wole Soyinka and Chinua Achebe are also our local examples. He should go and find something useful to do with his time. I'm a lecturer in clinical medicine here in the UK and I've not been found wanting without a PhD button I'm eminently qualified to teach as a consultant.

Obama is called a professor because that's what they chose to call a university teacher in parts of America.

He was a law teacher.
Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jan 29, 2015
AreaFada2:

You can be a prof without in certain circumstances. You can even be supervising PhD students without having a PhD yourself. Rare now but it wasn't previously.

Years back in UK, I had a lecturer who had only an MPhil but had made scientific discoveries and published over 200 works in journals like Nature, The Scientist, New England Journal of Clinical Medicine, BMJ, etc. He also had a Higher Education Teacher's Certificate, a special course for lecturers without PhD then. He supervised or partly supervised at least 7 PhD students that I know.

His university is consistently ranked in top 20 of World Universities league table.

Prof Obafunwa might have an MD (medical version of PhD) or Master of Surgery/MS (surgical version of PhD in UK education system).

For a doctor, clinical fellowships like FRCP, FRCS count for a lot and can take you to very high positions. They are very rigorous examinations needed to achieve them.

Previously, you could even get your MD (PhD) with only 2 years of research, if already an experienced medic.
Take time to find out why ASUU is fighting him.
Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by Evvilgenius: 6:59pm On Jan 29, 2015
Too many lies and displays of ignorance on this thread. A serious problem in Nigeria is with people trying to play experts about what they know little to nothing about. It's really sad. I'm outta here.

1 Like

Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by Nobody: 7:03pm On Jan 29, 2015
Pectoris:
If he is a medical doctor, he doesn't need a PhD to become a professor. His minimum of 5 years residency training to become a consultant is even more than that PhD degree. After becoming a consultant, he can read further, train medical students, write books and other stuffs to become a professor. Its even more difficult for a doctor to become professor than other professions, because the process is very long.
Are you sure? Medical doctors with MBBS enters at LECTURE II while those with fellowships enter at LECTURER I, how is that "longer"?
Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by porka: 7:03pm On Jan 29, 2015
Evvilgenius:

Loool. You've proven your ignorance beyond reasonable doubts, and you're so not ready to learn.

Try to do a lil research before commenting in a public forum. Postgraduate studies in clinical sciences is usually by residency which takes 5 to 12 years depending on what one wants to do. The training is full time in every respect, and thesis and dissertation is done.
THE INDIVIDUAL MUST ALSO ADD RELEVANT KNOWLEDGE TO THE FIELD before being awarded a fellowship status which has been(from time immemorial) and will always be SUPERIOR TO A PHD IN EVERY RESPECT.

And they still go ahead and register for a PhD?

Dr Kuku is a world renowned Consultant Physician and Endocrinologist. He holds several degrees and Fellowships in medicine including 2 doctorates. He has been the Joint Chief Director at the EKO Hospital (Ekocorp Plc) which he co founded in 1978.

http://www.sidcain.org/component/content/article/123.html
Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by Nobody: 7:12pm On Jan 29, 2015
Smartestelvis:
Yesss,i said it dont u c her posts,,let her show us her NL certificate
wetin i do una? grin cry
Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jan 29, 2015
Evvilgenius:

You're obviously ignorant. Calling a fellowship diploma? No wonder the standard of education in Nigeria is in its trough.

FYI, a fellow in a medical field e.g paediatrics can supervise a PhD student in paediatrics but a PhD holder can't supervise someone doing dissertation or thesis for fellowship. Fellowship is far far superior to a PhD.
And which university in nigeria awards PhD in paediatrics?
Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by Anticabal: 7:48pm On Jan 29, 2015
thepathologist:

is there any phd in surgery? do u need phd to treat patients? worldwide, it is not compulsory for holder of md,mbbs etc to have phd before becoming professor. it is a matter of personal choice. v.c of u.i is a professor of medicine without phd. ASUU should go and sleep.

You asked the right question, you don't need PhD to treat patient, PhD is not a professional title, BUT YOU NEED A PHD TO LECTURE IN THE UNIVERSITY. Simple logic! You only validated my claims.
You guys won't tolerate a non-physician to head hospitals but you want to head Hospitals and Universities without PhD but fellowship diplomas. What nonsense.
Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by Sacramento4real(m): 7:54pm On Jan 29, 2015
Piloeternity:

Its now dry!!! NEXT!!!!!! cheesy

But he got over a hundred LIKE,hater.
Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by Anticabal: 7:54pm On Jan 29, 2015
Evvilgenius:

Mr man stop deceiving yourself, in your consulting rooms, your fellowship can mean the world to you but in the Academia PhD takes precedence. You can be a Prof. (it's an appointment, you can even bribe your way through it in Nigeria) but you'll have no business leading a university unless you have a Ph.D. That's how it works in sensible countries.
Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by jjagz: 8:02pm On Jan 29, 2015
porka:

You people have come again.

A fellowship is a fellowship, a PhD is a PhD.

They are not the same and they are not equivalent in any way.

People still have a PhD in medicine.

You are right bro'. A PhD is a PhD and a fellowship is a fellowship. They are not equal.
But they are equivalent. Before you argue, I suggest you pick up a dictionary or your old maths textbook.

However, for the time, energy, resources and research put into getting a fellowship in any medical specialty, when appointed as lecturers, they as rated as PhD with two years research equivalent. Again, before you argue, check your facts well.

Finally, meaning no insult of course, your final statement shows your ignorance. No one gets a PhD in medicine or any medical subspecialty for that matter. Doctors may under go clinical research leading to awards of some nominally different degree which varies in different countries. In Nigeria, the only one I know is U.I which awards it as MD. An MD may be PhD equal, I don't know for sure, but even at that it is not MD in medicine, it is in some subspecialty.

Kapish? Hope my simple english doesn't confuse you.

And btw your welcome, don't mention.
Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by mannyiyke: 8:11pm On Jan 29, 2015
SEYIKP:
How on earth will a prof. not have PhD. we are in Nigeria sha were everything goes. oga show them your certificate and let sleeping dog lies.
He's a medical doctor. Their consultancy/fellowship title is equivalent to PhD. A medical doctor doesn't need to have a PhD b4 he/she becomes a professor. In fact, they're jealous of the VC 'cos they know the truth.
Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by Nobody: 8:11pm On Jan 29, 2015
The write up is rather too short; it did not capture the essence of the press conference by ASUU zonal co-ordinator.
Sometime last year ASUU-LASU embarked upon an industrial action agaist the management of the university, the VC (Prof) tooks actions aimed at destabilising ASUU, this resulted to withdrawal of PhD certificate of the chairperson of ASUU-LASU. This is the reason ASUU is fighting him not because he doesnt have a PhD.
Medical doctors who enter academic circle with a fellowship need not to have PhD to become professors, but they will be at disadvantage in many areas. E.g they cant train or supervise any post-graduate student seeking an academic masters or PhD.
For anybody who enter academic circle without fellowship, PhD is a compulsory requirement for appointment as professor.
Do well to read the regulations guiding appoitments and promotions of academic staffs in any nigerian university. Remember we are in nigeria not UK or USA.
Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by sexyjennik(f): 8:23pm On Jan 29, 2015
This certificate issues of these days,i wonder if this is the new trend in naija.abeg lemme kip my bsc result very well and also my msc that is on d way b4 I wil b on news trend like this 2 tender my result cos am aspiring to be d 1st female president of naija cum 2030 cheesy
Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by Nobody: 8:39pm On Jan 29, 2015
Iamsynord:
This people never said he was not running the university well or charged him for Embezzlement Oo..Pure hate..How can someone be a Prof without having a PhD first
It's very possible to be a prof. without PhD.
Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by Nobody: 8:46pm On Jan 29, 2015
undecided wondering how he became a professor without a PhD
Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jan 29, 2015
Iamsynord:
This people never said he was not running the university well or charged him for Embezzlement Oo..Pure hate..How can someone be a Prof without having a PhD first
It's possible to be a prof. without PhD.

PhD is not a precondition for one to become a prof. Professorship is awarded based on the number of journals a lecturer has written in an institution. If it comforms with the required number, then the lecturer is awarded.
Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by Evvilgenius: 8:57pm On Jan 29, 2015
porka:

And they still go ahead and register for a PhD?

Dr Kuku is a world renowned Consultant Physician and Endocrinologist. He holds several degrees and Fellowships in medicine including 2 doctorates. He has been the Joint Chief Director at the EKO Hospital (Ekocorp Plc) which he co founded in 1978.

http://www.sidcain.org/component/content/article/123.html

Loool. Stop embarrassing yourself. He earned his PhD together with his MRCP (wch is the first half of fellowship) and he wanted the PhD bcz of his own interest in particular researches. His second doctorate is honorary.

Everything here still points to the fact that that a fellowship in the medical field is superior to a PhD. That's Dr Sony Kuku's profile in American College of Physician's website.

http://www.acponline.org/about_acp/international/graduates/practicing_in_us/kuku.htm

...To add with, when a fellow of a medical PG college is appointed a lecturer in a university, he starts from the level of (PhD + 2 years research experience).
This is enough enlightenment for anybody. QED.

1 Like

Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by Nobody: 8:59pm On Jan 29, 2015
joker5180:
The write up is rather too short; it did not capture the essence of the press conference by ASUU zonal co-ordinator.
Sometime last year ASUU-LASU embarked upon an industrial action agaist the management of the university, the VC (Prof) tooks actions aimed at destabilising ASUU, this resulted to withdrawal of PhD certificate of the chairperson of ASUU-LASU. This is the reason ASUU is fighting him not because he doesnt have a PhD.
Medical doctors who enter academic circle with a fellowship need not to have PhD to become professors, but they will be at disadvantage in many areas. E.g they cant train or supervise any post-graduate student seeking an academic masters or PhD.
For anybody who enter academic circle without fellowship, PhD is a compulsory requirement for appointment as professor.
Do well to read the regulations guiding appoitments and promotions of academic staffs in any nigerian university. Remember we are in nigeria not UK or USA.
PhD is not a compulsory requirement, it depends on d number of journals.
Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jan 29, 2015
sexyjennik:
This certificate issues of these days,i wonder if this is the new trend in naija.abeg lemme kip my bsc result very well and also my msc that is on d way b4 I wil b on news trend like this 2 tender my result cos am aspiring to be d 1st female president of naija cum 2030 cheesy
For real... cheesy
Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by DrObum(m): 9:28pm On Jan 29, 2015
I'm ashamed of the ignorance proceeding from that ASUU chairman, does he not know that a medical doctor who is a Fellow of a recognised Post Graduate Medical College needs not a PhD to be a professor?

If ASUU chairman is this ignorant, I pity his students!

1 Like

Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by Nobody: 9:29pm On Jan 29, 2015
skelefish:

PhD is not a compulsory requirement, it depends on d number of journals.
Get a copy of the REGULATIONS for appoitment and promotion of academic staffs of any nigerian university, lets talk after you must have read it thoroughly.
Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by akinarmstrong: 10:25pm On Jan 29, 2015
noblealuu:
I knw where the PhD stuff is coming from, I think MBBCH
This is in fact getting interesting in Nigeria
Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by ironhide84: 10:32pm On Jan 29, 2015
Iamsynord:
Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by deolu2000(m): 10:55pm On Jan 29, 2015
Iamsynord:
exactly what am thinking.i rembr dt somtime last year this same VC withrew some Dr(s) Phd certificate(s),maybe this is their own way of getting even with him.
Re: LASU VC, John Obafunwa Has No PhD & Holds Two Jobs - ASUU by sexyjennik(f): 12:22am On Jan 30, 2015
skelefish:

For real... cheesy
yes o..... grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

ICAN Unveils ICAN University, Nigeria's First Accounting University / Memo Targeted At Muslims, not Christians. - Katsina State University. / How To Apply For Commonwealth Scholarship As A Nigerian Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.