Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,342 members, 7,829,868 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:53 PM

How Can I Know If A Car Mileage Is Tampered With. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Can I Know If A Car Mileage Is Tampered With. (2570 Views)

How Much Mileage Is Too Much Mileage? / I Intend To Take My Car Mileage To 500,000km / How Much Mileage Is Too Much Mileage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Know If A Car Mileage Is Tampered With. by DonLarry: 12:06pm On Jan 29, 2015
plz I want to buy a car but my friend told me dat attimes dealers do tamper with the mileage. plz how can I know if the mileage was tampered with.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Know If A Car Mileage Is Tampered With. by Mishydoo(m): 12:34pm On Jan 29, 2015
U CANT....!
Re: How Can I Know If A Car Mileage Is Tampered With. by AutosBay(m): 12:40pm On Jan 29, 2015
Request for the Car's Vehicle Service History, the mileage Is written on the repair order/quotation, this could give you a report on past mileage readings and dates, if the vehicle has a good service history, then you should be rest assured that the mileage has not been tampered with.
Re: How Can I Know If A Car Mileage Is Tampered With. by Marpol: 1:04pm On Jan 29, 2015
DonLarry:
plz I want to buy a car but my friend told me dat attimes dealers do tamper with the mileage. plz how can I know if the mileage was tampered with.

Run a VIN check.
Re: How Can I Know If A Car Mileage Is Tampered With. by billy187(m): 3:09pm On Jan 29, 2015
Observation of a few points in the car may help too. For instance, if you enter a car with a claimed 80000 on the clock and notice the cluch, brake and accelerater pedals are worn down and the leather steering wheel is as worn out and shiny as Mike Tyson's head, odds are that the dealer has double- crossed you.

Also, keep your expectations REALISTIC. For example, its almost impossible to get a 13 year old pencil light that has covered only 50000miles. But if you over-insist, you'll quickly realise Baba, your dealer is a 'magician!'grin

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Know If A Car Mileage Is Tampered With. by saintjoel(m): 4:41am On Jan 31, 2015
Just shared this with Nairalanders on this link https://www.nairaland.com/1245239/cheaper-cars-available-cotonou/26 and I hope it'll also help you.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS.

Q : HOW DO CALCULATE MILEAGE FOR VEHICLES AND HOW DO YOU KNOW IF MILEAGE HAS BEEN ROLLED BACK?

A : Mileage has always caused serious issues between importers,agents,car dealers and end users. Many end users have been hoodwinked into believing that only vehicles with low mileages can perform and at the end of everything,the purchased vehicles with the assumed low mileages break down and the become daily visitors to the mechanic.

Whenever you're checking out vehicles,there's an assumed we use for detecting the actual mileage of vehicles and it's 15,000 for cars and 25,000 for SUVs.

For example - If a car was manufactured in 2001,it's calculated as 2015 - 2001 = 14,then when you multiply 15,000km to the 14 year gap,it becomes 15,000*14=210,000km.

This means that when you're buying a car manufactured in 2001,the least mileage to expect will be around 170,000km and for an heavy user,it'll will be 230,000km. So if a 2001 model car has 75,000 mileage,the buyer should run a comprehensive VIN check before purchase and the same calculation is also applicable to SUVs too.

We hope we've been able to settle the issue of mileage once again.

Thanks and have a nice day.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Know If A Car Mileage Is Tampered With. by shamecurls(m): 5:08am On Jan 31, 2015
Run a VIN check Simple!
Re: How Can I Know If A Car Mileage Is Tampered With. by KingMoney(m): 8:51am On Jan 31, 2015
Pls Hw do I run a Vin check
Re: How Can I Know If A Car Mileage Is Tampered With. by instinctg(m): 10:28am On Jan 31, 2015
saintjoel:
Just shared this with Nairalanders on this link https://www.nairaland.com/1245239/cheaper-cars-available-cotonou/26 and I hope it'll also help you.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS.

Q : HOW DO CALCULATE MILEAGE FOR VEHICLES AND HOW DO YOU KNOW IF MILEAGE HAS BEEN ROLLED BACK?

A : Mileage has always caused serious issues between importers,agents,car dealers and end users. Many end users have been hoodwinked into believing that only vehicles with low mileages can perform and at the end of everything,the purchased vehicles with the assumed low mileages break down and the become daily visitors to the mechanic.

Whenever you're checking out vehicles,there's an assumed we use for detecting the actual mileage of vehicles and it's 15,000 for cars and 25,000 for SUVs.

For example - If a car was manufactured in 2001,it's calculated as 2015 - 2001 = 14,then when you multiply 15,000km to the 14 year gap,it becomes 15,000*14=210,000km.

This means that when you're buying a car manufactured in 2001,the least mileage to expect will be around 170,000km and for an heavy user,it'll will be 230,000km. So if a 2001 model car has 75,000 mileage,the buyer should run a comprehensive VIN check before purchase and the same calculation is also applicable to SUVs too.

We hope we've been able to settle the issue of mileage once again.

Thanks and have a nice day.

spot on

1 Like

Re: How Can I Know If A Car Mileage Is Tampered With. by cecegorz(m): 2:08pm On Feb 03, 2015
Simply Run a VIN report.
You will see the last report Odo with the date (assuming VIN confirms there was no roll back)
Then use the date to extrapolate. Assuming VIN report shows 122,000 as at June 2014 in the US, and was imported into Nigeria in December 2014.
You don't need a prophet if you see 105,000 on the dash.

(1) (Reply)

Mb Set Standard For Future Racing Cars-featuring, The New C63s AMG & DTM / Website To Check Vehicle Owner. / Price For Brain Box For Honda Baby Boy V6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.