Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,942 members, 7,817,768 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:00 PM

Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat (3863 Views)

Bill Gates And Microsoft Should Tender An Apology now (pix) / Do You Think Nigerians Can Take This Threat Seriously?? (screenshots) / Is This A Threat Or A Warning To U Phone ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by nextstep(m): 4:44am On Jan 31, 2015
parrotibaba:
a good opinion but don't u think dat d creators of dis AI would hv an emergency backup plan?

That's the part that we can't know: by definition, an intelligent machine will be able to think around emergency backups. Anyone whose worked in software has seen all kinds of bugs (some from careless assumptions, others arising from very complex interactions and inputs over time). We are barely able to write software that doesn't crash, so I really doubt any claims that we can write bullet proof AI that would not also change itself in ways we can't predict.

It's bad enough when your computer crashes and eats your hard drive, imagine having a computer that deliberately disconnects life support.

Almost every case of improvement in human society comes from being reactionary and learning from accidents: a building falls, we learn to use stronger materials; computer virus wipes out financial data, we learn to write more secure software; airplane crashes due to frozen pitot tubes, we retrofit with new designs; nuclear power plant explodes, we learn not to put generators for cooling the plant in a place where they can be flooded; insist on one child per family, then *suprise* a generation of men can't find wives.

All of these accidents could have been prevented in the first place, but we don't have a good track record of really thinking through all the ramifications ahead of time.

AI will not give us a chance to learn from our mistakes.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by Warlord3000(m): 5:48am On Jan 31, 2015
Interesting read and argument but I will keep my opinion to myself cos it seems everyone has said it all..

The good and the bad side of artificial intelligence
Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by ibietela2(m): 7:17am On Jan 31, 2015
Sillly mods won't move this to the front page
Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by Nobody: 8:10am On Jan 31, 2015
I don't think the idea would be forfeited because we have it closed to us than before. On phones, laptops, the etc. Btw, it's either it takes us to a more advanced level or it breaks us completely.

It's all been said anyways.
Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by Homguy(m): 8:31am On Jan 31, 2015
parrotibaba:
That shii is not possible ,AI runs on a power source ,cut d power source n it's dead ,it's not like human beings dat have a life force n a mind ,dis things will work with systems dat r limited to d model ...no terminator shii go happen grin
if ordinary phones can tell you when they are low, and how to charge them, don't you think a super advanced robot would be programmed to auto recharge itself, and with strong AI know that it has to protect its power source? we need to be careful with development of these machines.
Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by onegig(m): 9:34am On Jan 31, 2015
networkgenuis:

If you read my post properly, I was talking a about SELF AWARE machine there, fyi that's what AI development is gunning to achieve which is machine that is CONSCIOUS of its existence, a machine that constantly adapt to new variables through learning and without human input or interference. That's the ultimate AI. A machine with a mind.

Such machine may seem far fetched to you now, same way heavier than air flight was to people sometime ago.
Dismissing it as fuzzy logic? time will tell.

Machine can be aware of its environment but self awareness and intuition is a different ball game. The future of AI is still far off. Air flight was something mehanical and comprehensible. People just limited their hearts back then. We all had physical evidence of what flight can be like through birds and other things. But for AI, It has to deal with intuition, something abstract.

I can assure. Someone has to always write the program that is responsible for the automation.. There is always human involvement somewhere.

Although I understand your fears and concerns and this thread Is an eye opener but we are still far off and it would take a lot more to accomplish a situation where AIs are self aware.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Futurology/comments/2mh8tn/elon_musks_deleted_edge_comment_from_yesterday_on/
Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by parrotibaba(m): 9:44am On Jan 31, 2015
onegig:

Abeg. AI is just going to be AI. Forget all those movies. And your closing paragraph even sums it up. Do something blindly? Like program a robot to go to war?

I would start believing they would take over the world and collonize us when computers starts writing their own programs without any PROMPT and inserting comments for documentation.

That it can mimick humans does not mean it has it's own intuition. That's a fundamental difference between humans and robot. Every robot created has a specified intention for its creation abd because of this. It puts a limitation to what it can do and think of. It may malfunction and cause unintended destructions due to errors or bugs but that it would deliberately out of its own accord overtake humans , dominate us and colonize us is not only far fetched but preposterous.

Fuzzy logic and stuff doesn't work that way.
exactly my point!
Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by parrotibaba(m): 10:04am On Jan 31, 2015
Obinnio:
Sorry Boss, no insults intended in anyway I'll sound, I am surprised by your reasoning even when others tries to change ur view, it's good thing that you stand your ground to what You believe or think but always allow or think both negatively and positively,balance the equation, it's good that You acknowledged the positive part of AI and what good it brings but let me educate You more, Sorry to start with I studied comp Eng, I did AI as a course, I don't know your field but as You mentioned computer is gab in gab out,yes it is. But AI is different, AI is not just a computer, it is developed to carry out some human work and it is mans Intelligent that was incorporated in it through command or programming, you are right in a way cos AI cannot develop itself but remember as good programmer is busy developing Anti-Virus, someone out there is busy developing stronger Virus, Virus is a Programme developed by someone like me and you, Virus don't just fly Over the air, one Virus and the robot will start performing another task that is not it's purpose. Virus with a Command to destroy and the rest will be history, U talked of pulling the power source but remember as technology improves standards will increase,the robot maybe designed to run with solar and may have ability to store energy,if you loose the command them you also loose the control and before remedy will be found,the damage it might have coursed may be far greater than the positive, mind You AI run on 3D and can run on 4d realm,that is to see beyond human that has only 2D, as You can see it is higher than human already in viewing, now the question is,will a bad programmer infect the AI with any command which is dangerous to humans ? Answer is, Possibly Yes, remember that is how they feed and make money. I was reading from behind and never wanted to say something and was thinking you will be convinced of the negative part, but no, AI can be great for human race,the positive can be insurmountable but for you to think it does not have any threat to human race, then you need to think again, Bill is Right
u still don't get me do u? I never for once said de can't be of any threat to humanity ,I'm just saying dat dia is always a back up plan in case of emergencies ...

You believe someone can get into d "independent minded AI" n plant a bug or a virus right? so what makes u think dat d makers of dis AI won't hv a backup plan for dis emergencies? For example ,here in Nigeria ,ppl derive joy in hacking into ISP's network base in order to get cheats or tweaks ,when dos ISPs discovers dis ,de close it down ,same as when ur phone is attacked by malware n it starts misbehaving or when ur computer is infected with viruses ,what u do is to use d antivirus program or u simply format ur phone/computer ...For d gamers in d building when u play against Fifa's/PES's AI for long ,u will eventually master it's moves ,like where it will place it's pks using certain players or how it plays on d field ,do u want to know why dat is possible? because dis AI is programmed to act in a certain way independently but it's limited ,It can't say "okay am not playing again" n d screen goes blank ,it's not dynamic like d human being ...we should stop thinking about d movies we watched while we discuss dis issue unless u believe in kryptonite
Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by networkgenuis: 10:32am On Jan 31, 2015
onegig:

Machine can be aware of its environment but self awareness and intuition is a different ball game. The future of AI is still far off. Air flight was something mehanical and comprehensible. People just limited their hearts back then. We all had physical evidence of what flight can be like through birds and other things. But for AI, It has to deal with intuition, something abstract.

I can assure. Someone has to always write the program that is responsible for the automation.. There is always human involvement somewhere.

Although I understand your fears and concerns and this thread Is an eye opener but we are still far off and it would take a lot more to accomplish a situation where AIs are self aware.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Futurology/comments/2mh8tn/elon_musks_deleted_edge_comment_from_yesterday_on/
Good you admitted that the development of a self aware system isn't impossible in it's totality.
Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by Tylan: 11:08am On Jan 31, 2015
parrotibaba:
smh for some ppl in Nigeria ,a human being made an honest opinion about sm thing n some ninjas sees it fit not to challenge it just a little even when the company's research chief opposed Bill's opinion ...maybe when Bill gates tells u to smash ur computers on d floor u will do just dat without asking why cos he is Bill Gates n everything he says is d right

Some ppl's brains need a manual reset

This is a discussion where u air ur own views n back it up with credible points ,Am not saying dat AI can't reach a level of any threat ,am just of d opinion dat dia r always backup plans for dis kinda shii ,a pull-the-plug plan in case of emergencies n some ppl r accusing me of questioning Bill Gates cos he is God
What do you know about computers, technology and robotics? How can you challenge what you don't understand?

1 Like

Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by parrotibaba(m): 11:38am On Jan 31, 2015
Tylan:
What do you know about computers, technology and robotics? How can you challenge what you don't understand?
what do u know about computer,technology and robotics? Why can't u ask questions on what u don't understand?
Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by laykhorn(m): 12:09pm On Jan 31, 2015
I agree with Bill on this. Artificial Intelligence may get out of hand If not properly managed. In fact, it is as deadly as Nuclear Weapons. The only restrictions now is Computer Vision which is at an advance stage, Some sensor branches and Human Preference, else our PAs, our security etc. would have become machines. This won't stop me from going for MSc Artificial Intelligence.
Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by Tylan: 1:50pm On Jan 31, 2015
parrotibaba:
what do u know about computer,technology and robotics? Why can't u ask questions on what u don't understand?
You can ask questions on what you don't understand, but you cannot question people who are authorities in what you know nothing about.
Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by Ksslib(m): 2:06pm On Jan 31, 2015
I watch lots of documentary on cosmology,what happens in outer space..e..t..c

We all know Earth is like a pin in an ocean if we were to consider the size of the whole universe. And many people, including myself believe there are many forms of life out there----same way there are humans, plants,bacteria----- diff forms of life but they all live.

Now, there was this episode I watched that suggested that there could be a planet out there made up of solely purely what we know today as machines but self conscious ones. Do you know what it means and the threat it poses to we humans if such civilization could /decides to communicates with AI ?? We are done for.... Our commands ll be rendered invalid... those machines ll do what they want and feel like. Inshort,its only better imagined..

I know it sounds fairytale like to suggest a man made machine/code could develop a mind of its own and evolve into consciousness but its only someone who attaches too much importance and omnipotence to the role mankind plays/represent in the universe that will think otherwise.

I mean, we still don't even really know what "Consciousness" means 100% as humans, so why couldn't there be a possibility that machines could have a level of deceptive consciousness we are yet to detect?

If it were impossible for machines to evolve on they own without human input, it wouldn't be an issue thats being debated on in the first place by some of the best minds on this planet.

AI is dangerous!!!! Ok, lets assume it may not develop a mind of its own but have you ever considered it being hijacked by something out there in the universe not of earthly origin? parrotibaba,ever looked at it from this angle?
Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by parrotibaba(m): 2:21pm On Jan 31, 2015
Tylan:
You can ask questions on what you don't understand, but you cannot question people who are authorities in what you know nothing about.
u r d one dat created dis topic right? between the statement of Microsoft's' research chief Eric Horvitz n dat of Bill Gates which will u choose ? ...and FYI ,if I knew nothing about AI ,robots n technology(which u obviously don't know anything about) I won't be wasting my time here .

This is a discussion thread aimed at educating d lot of us so if u think dat everyone will agree with u then u r not serious n if u hv nothing to offer please exist dis thread ...I still stand on my opinion unless sm1 convincingly convince me otherwise
Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by parrotibaba(m): 2:26pm On Jan 31, 2015
Ksslib:
I watch lots of documentary on cosmology,what happens in outer space..e..t..c

We all know Earth is like a pin in an ocean if we were to consider the size of the whole universe. And many people, including myself believe there are many forms of life out there----same way there are humans, plants,bacteria----- diff forms of life but they all live.

Now, there was this episode I watched that suggested that there could be a planet out there made up of solely purely what we know today as machines but self conscious ones. Do you know what it means and the threat it poses to we humans if such civilization could /decides to communicates with AI ?? We are done for.... Our commands ll be rendered invalid... those machines ll do what they want and feel like. Inshort,its only better imagined..

I know it sounds fairytale like to suggest a man made machine/code could develop a mind of its own and evolve into consciousness but its only someone who attaches too much importance and omnipotence to the role mankind plays/represent in the universe that will think otherwise.

I mean, we still don't even really know what "Consciousness" means 100% as humans, so why couldn't there be a possibility that machines could have a level of deceptive consciousness we are yet to detect?

If it were impossible for machines to evolve on they own without human input, it wouldn't be an issue thats being debated on in the first place by some of the best minds on this planet.

AI is dangerous!!!! Ok, lets assume it may not develop a mind of its own but have you ever considered it being hijacked by something out there in the universe not of earthly origin? parrotibaba,ever looked at it from this angle?
I would never look at it in that angle cos d "There r smthings out dia dat can hijack d AI" theory is fake. Why do u believe dat there r machines/aliens in other planets which r 5 times smarter dan ours? answer dis question correctly n our argument continues
Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by Ksslib(m): 2:56pm On Jan 31, 2015
parrotibaba:
I would never look at it in that angle cos d "There r smthings out dia dat can hijack d AI" theory is fake. Why do u believe dat there r machines/aliens in other planets which r 5 times smarter dan ours? answer dis question correctly n our argument continues
That's your problem, you're not open minded atall. What makes you think they can't be aliens out there a million times smarter than humans? Answer this question correctly first.

What makes you think we humans are alone in this mighty galaxy,universe(anything you choose to call it).... That there aren't other forms of life out there monitoring us(Just like NASA is monitoring Mars) we are yet to encounter? Also answer this question correctly before we can have an intellectual discourse.
Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by parrotibaba(m): 3:13pm On Jan 31, 2015
Ksslib:

That's your problem, you're not open minded atall. What makes you think they can't be aliens out there a million times smarter than humans? Answer this question correctly first.

What makes you think we humans are alone in this mighty galaxy,universe(anything you choose to call it).... That there aren't other forms of life out there monitoring us(Just like NASA is monitoring Mars) we are yet to encounter? Also answer this question correctly before we can have an intellectual discourse.
You call this being open minded ? u can be likened to d ppl dat believed dat de saw heaven n hell while in coma ,if dis is u being open minded den u r willing to believe dat d kryptonite planet exists or dat hobbits exists in mars or Jupiter ,really? grin ,brother dia maybe bacteria or salt existing in d other planets but dia is nothing like intelligently superior machines/aliens/beings dat exist on an almost nonexistent planet(except u hv visited one grin ) ,do u want to know why? because we r d smartest species in d whole universe ,look at d evolutionary stages dat dis earth has passed through ,dinosaurs ,animals ,n de n man ,we r d smartest of dem all ,we hv learnt to survive dis planet ,we keep reinventing ourselves ,cars ,airplanes,smartphones,medicines,infrastructures n what hv u ,what could be smarter dan dat? ...

OK say I believe ur theory for a second ,what could dos superior machines/aliens/beings be doing or has done dat we ourselves are not doing or haven't done? it's all in ur head mate
Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by okinme: 7:42pm On Jan 31, 2015
MTN DATA SHARED OFFERS.
GET MTN DATA FOR BLACKBERRY 10, ANDROID & MODEM @ AFFORDABLE AMOUNT.
1GB ----------1200
2GB -----------2400
Call 08035448544 OR 08053635768
I accept Bank payment or MTN Recharge Card.
Thanks
Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by bot101(m): 1:01pm On Feb 01, 2015
I stand with Gates on this one reason being that an AI machine is like a human, capable of making mistakes AND WITHOUT human intervention and based on whatever it decides either learns from or ignores the mistake among many other unpredictable decisions it could decide to make. That said, it means that these machines can can equally think up all everyone here has already thought, either decide to implement it or not and that includes overriding someone's "backup plans". What fears these tech gurus is not the fact that these machines can (currently theoretical) do all these like all men can, but that it can do them at a rate billions of times faster than the fastest human mind can.
Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by martineverest(m): 7:37pm On Feb 01, 2015
Bill said it and hes not joking,dats because microsoft must have made an AI,tested it and realise dat it ll be a problem in d future.....who knew about 'hololens' b4 dey anounced it...never under rate microsoft
Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by tartar9(m): 8:19pm On Feb 06, 2015
ITbomb:
I don't need any machine that will make decisions on its own.
I never finished with stubborn humans, you wan add machine
superb intelligent machines for that matter.
Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by Borwe: 7:04am On Feb 07, 2015
Hahahaha..
Somebodies been watching too much Terminator lately. grin grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

More Facts About Tecno Boom J7 / Free Christmas Gift Of Recharge Cards For Nairalanders / Gionee Marathon M5 Lite Vs Gionee S Plus Mobile Compare

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.