Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,766 members, 7,824,214 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:02 AM

Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat (3868 Views)

Bill Gates And Microsoft Should Tender An Apology now (pix) / Do You Think Nigerians Can Take This Threat Seriously?? (screenshots) / Is This A Threat Or A Warning To U Phone ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by Tylan: 10:57pm On Jan 29, 2015

Humans should be worried about the threat posed by artificial Intelligence, Bill Gates has said.

The Microsoft founder said he didn't understand people who were not troubled by the possibility that AI could grow too strong for people to control.

Mr Gates contradicted one of Microsoft Research's chiefs, Eric Horvitz, who has said he "fundamentally" did not see AI as a threat.

Mr Horvitz has said about a quarter of his team's resources are focused on AI.

During an "ask me anything" question and answer session on Reddit, Mr Gates wrote: "I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence. First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well.

"A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don't understand why some people are not concerned."

His view was backed up by the likes of Mr Musk and Professor Stephen Hawking, who have both warned about the possibility that AI could evolve to the point that it was beyond human control. Prof Hawking said he felt that machines with AI could "spell the end of the human race".

Mr Horvitz has said: "There have been concerns about the long-term prospect that we lose control of certain kinds of intelligences. I fundamentally don't think that's going to happen."

He was giving an interview marking his acceptance of the AAAI Feigenbaum Prize for "outstanding advances" in AI research.

"I think that we will be very proactive in terms of how we field AI systems, and that in the end we'll be able to get incredible benefits from machine intelligence in all realms of life, from science to education to economics to daily life."

Mr Horvitz runs Microsoft Research's lab at the parent company's Redmond headquarters. His division's work has already helped introduce Cortana, Microsoft's virtual assistant.

Despite his own reservations, Mr Gates wrote on Reddit that, had Microsoft not worked out, he would probably be a researcher on AI.

"When I started Microsoft I was worried I would miss the chance to do basic work in that field," he said.

He added that he believed the firm he founded would see "more progress... than ever" over the next three decades.

"Even in the next 10 [years,] problems like vision and speech understanding and translation will be very good."

He predicted that, in that time, robots would perform tasks such as picking fruit or moving hospital patients. "Once computers/robots get to a level of capability where seeing and moving is easy for them then they will be used very extensively."

He said he was working on a project with Microsoft called "Personal Agent", which he said would "remember everything and help you go back and find things and help you pick what things to pay attention to".

He wrote: "The idea that you have to find applications and pick them and they each are trying to tell you what is new is just not the efficient model - the agent will help solve this. It will work across all your devices."

But he admitted that he felt "pretty stupid" because he cannot speak any language other than English.

"I took Latin and Greek in High School and got As and I guess it helps my vocabulary but I wish I knew French or Arabic or Chinese.

"I keep hoping to get time to study one of these - probably French because it is the easiest... Mark Zuckerberg amazingly learned Mandarin and did a Q&A with Chinese students - incredible," he wrote.

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/31047780

Click Here to Like My Facebook Page

1 Like

Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by Nobody: 11:15pm On Jan 29, 2015
Just like it did in [/b]THE MATRIX[b] and took over the world.

1 Like

Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by parrotibaba(m): 11:43pm On Jan 29, 2015
That shii is not possible ,AI runs on a power source ,cut d power source n it's dead ,it's not like human beings dat have a life force n a mind ,dis things will work with systems dat r limited to d model ...no terminator shii go happen grin
Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by ikbtn: 1:34am On Jan 30, 2015
parrotibaba:
That shii is not possible ,AI runs on a power source ,cut d power source n it's dead ,it's not like human beings dat have a life force n a mind ,dis things will work with systems dat r limited to d model ...no terminator shii go happen grin
Truce, cutting d power source terminates d whole thing but one thing is dat AI is based on a program control architecture and wat if d power source gets faulty or is virus infected, who knws d kinda havoc and damages it mite cause, we all knw computer is a gabbage in gabbage out process but such process can be out ruled if infected by both internal and external factor like bugs or even we human.so its beta not created at all, my opinion tho.

1 Like

Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by Ryabcool(m): 2:45am On Jan 30, 2015
parrotibaba:
Lol! This is ignorant talk. A fully independent AI will constantly evolve itself intellectually, and will always evolve it's own means of continuous self sustenance. For example creating its own solar panels that will charge it's batteries.

AI could either be our salvation or our Skynet / Matrix

9 Likes

Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by lanre316: 5:49am On Jan 30, 2015
parrotibaba:

Your talk is similar to about two centuries ago long before airplane was invented when scientists were saying man cannot travel by air because humans were not designed to fly in the air. Now we know they're wrong.

AI could self-advance such that it won't need electrical or even solar power to sustain itself. And it could advance such that it has an advanced self-consciousness of its own to make it's own decision.

Nobody would believe things like this could happen until it happens, like the first time man landed on the moon.

1 Like

Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by pelumiakinboye1: 7:08am On Jan 30, 2015
AI is a welcome idea but U and I know that for every good thing in Life, Men always work towards creating a bad one.

2 Likes

Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by ITbomb(m): 7:19am On Jan 30, 2015
I don't need any machine that will make decisions on its own.
I never finished with stubborn humans, you wan add machine

7 Likes

Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by Tylan: 7:46am On Jan 30, 2015
parrotibaba:
Some robots are being built to work without electricity. Do some Google search and you'll find out yourself.

1 Like

Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by IdeeEsperanza(m): 7:54am On Jan 30, 2015
The movies "i-Robot" and "Artificial Intelligence" come into mind. Those movies got me thinking.

1 Like

Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by Nobody: 8:07am On Jan 30, 2015
AI could really be a threat, virus, bugs what have u.........glitch in the system....
Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by missdebs(f): 9:10am On Jan 30, 2015
lovely piece...any one wu blieves AI wuld turn bad shuld immediately stop using technology in al
Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by parrotibaba(m): 10:13am On Jan 30, 2015
Ryabcool:
Lol! This is ignorant talk. A fully independent AI will constantly evolve itself intellectually, and will always evolve it's own means of continuous self sustenance. For example creating its own solar panels that will charge it's batteries.
AI could either be our salvation or our Skynet / Matrix
lanre316:

Your talk is similar to about two centuries ago long before airplane was invented when scientists were saying man cannot travel by air because humans were not designed to fly in the air. Now we know they're wrong.
AI could self-advance such that it won't need electrical or even solar power to sustain itself. And it could advance such that it has an advanced self-consciousness of its own to make it's own decision.
Nobody would believe things like this could happen until it happens, like the first time man landed on the moon.
Tylan:
Some robots are being built to work without electricity. Do some Google search and you'll find out yourself.
OK but what I meant by saying dat d AI's power source could be terminated if it gets out of hand ,is dat d scientists developing dis machines will also develop a pull-the-plug plan in case of emergencies n it's not ignorant talk either ,it's like d spare tyres in a car or d life boats in a ship
Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by Ryabcool(m): 10:22am On Jan 30, 2015
parrotibaba:
OK but what I meant by saying dat d AI's power source could be terminated if it gets out of hand ,is dat d scientists developing dis machines will also develop a pull-the-plug plan in case of emergencies n it's not ignorant talk either ,it's like d spare tyres in a car or d life boats in a ship
your idea seems plausible but it's invalid. If hackers can break through a firewall to take down a network, what then is a simple protocol that AI cannot override. Moreover, it would most likely conceal it's intentions until it's too late. Tell me, what chance does the human mind have against a self advanced AI?

3 Likes

Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by parrotibaba(m): 10:45am On Jan 30, 2015
Ryabcool:
your idea seems plausible but it's invalid. If hackers can break through a firewall to take down a network, what then is a simple protocol that AI cannot override. Moreover, it would most likely conceal it's intentions until it's too late. Tell me, what chance does the human mind have against a self advanced AI?
when hackers break into a particular website ,after being noticed by d owners ,d website is either pulled down or d hack is traced n corrected ,forget what u watch in movies (where humanoids or robots or a system AI controls n runs things by itself) ,dis things r limited still ,there is nothing like an AI building it's solar power batteries when damaged by itself except it's being controlled by ppl,like what Mr gates said ,dat very soon dis robots r going to be helping hospital patients, meaning dat dis AI programmed robots or humanoids would be designed for a specific purpose. For example look at d computer ,it's designed to answer almost all ur questions n solves some of ur problems n dats where it's job stops ,if it malfunctions u simple pull d plug thereby destroying it's power source n rendering it useless...The aim of dis scientists is to mk d AI as independent as possible but it's still limited to d task it is assigned to ...Dos things dat happen in movies r fiction n dats it ,except u r telling me dat u believe in dragons

1 Like

Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by Godisnear(m): 10:45am On Jan 30, 2015
AI would change the world positively but its quite risky, dangerous and might become too powerful
Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by Ryabcool(m): 11:34am On Jan 30, 2015
parrotibaba:
when hackers break into a particular website ,after being noticed by d owners ,d website is either pulled down or d hack is traced n corrected ,forget what u watch in movies (where humanoids or robots or a system AI controls n runs things by itself) ,dis things r limited still ,there is nothing like an AI building it's solar power batteries when damaged by itself except it's being controlled by ppl,like what Mr gates said ,dat very soon dis robots r going to be helping hospital patients, meaning dat dis AI programmed robots or humanoids would be designed for a specific purpose. For example look at d computer ,it's designed to answer almost all ur questions n solves some of ur problems n dats where it's job stops ,if it malfunctions u simple pull d plug thereby destroying it's power source n rendering it useless...The aim of dis scientists is to mk d AI as independent as possible but it's still limited to d task it is assigned to ...Dos things dat happen in movies r fiction n dats it ,except u r telling me dat u believe in dragons
Lol! Even Bill Gates believes AI is a threat. If Bill who has been privy to the most advanced technology in the world before they got released insists AI is dangerous, then who are you that I should believe? No offense intended. Just asking an innocent question

4 Likes

Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by parrotibaba(m): 1:49pm On Jan 30, 2015
Ryabcool:
Lol! Even Bill Gates believes AI is a threat. If Bill who has been privy to the most advanced technology in the world before they got released insists AI is dangerous, then who are you that I should believe? No offense intended. Just asking an innocent question
so what bill gates is now superhuman or an angel who should go unchallenged in anything he says? what about Microsoft research chief Eric Horvitz opinion on d matter ,Bill gates is just d owner Microsoft ,he doesn't know all d shii in d company ...Why do u think his opinion is d ultimate answer dat can't be challenge by u? no offense intended ,just asking an innocent question

2 Likes

Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by Nobody: 3:50pm On Jan 30, 2015
well, people's Jobs though!
Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by AYODEJI4LOVE(m): 4:11pm On Jan 30, 2015
AI......am in support of bill comment on AI
thou I never think in that way before......
Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by joeace2020(m): 4:18pm On Jan 30, 2015
missdebs:
lovely piece...any one wu blieves AI wuld turn bad shuld immediately stop using technology in al

gimme a break!!! Dat AI could turn bad doesn't make every other form of technology bad or could become bad.

We are still battling with viruses, malwares, adwares, phishers, hackers and you want to add AI..... We are living in a world where people are afraid of someone developing a virus strong enough to take out half if not all the computers in the world and you want an AI thats going to become something else should a bug be found in it or a virus penetrates. One can't fault its positive sides but why are there so many movies about the negativity with AI?
Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by jverdict(m): 6:16pm On Jan 30, 2015
when d num 1 man in d computer world is tellin u AI is a bad idea , den who r u 2 say its nt development of AI is a bad idea ,sayin it with every bone in my body , after watchn most muvies lyk d Resident evil nd irobot den u shuld learn tinz
Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by barapistis(m): 9:11pm On Jan 30, 2015
jverdict:
when d num 1 man in d computer world is tellin u AI is a bad idea , den who r u 2 say its nt development of AI is a bad idea ,sayin it with every bone in my body , after watchn most muvies lyk d Resident evil nd irobot den u shuld learn tinz

Leave that guy alone...seems he understand nothing about computing.bill is speaking out of what he has seen ahead as a result of what he has concieved out og his mind.it all about usage...
Office attendant and the rest coming are small thing.
How about husband for ladies ,since they will be programmed to do just what she want from the robot,
How about the laws of nations thaat will be changed just to accomodate robots
Even children will prefer a robot instead of their fathers and mothers
Ai will eventually lead to a chaotic world
Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by networkgenuis: 9:34pm On Jan 30, 2015
Ryabcool:
Gates knows exactly what he's talking about and I don't thinks his fears are unfounded. AI is a very dangerous path we shouldn't jump into blindly. A self aware machine is a risk, it may take centuries but a day will come when they will be too advanced for us to manage. Just one unit can turn rogue and corrupt others.

No one should dismiss movies such as iRobot and Skynet as mere science fiction. Those movies are science prophecies telling us what to come should we do some things blindly.

1 Like

Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by parrotibaba(m): 9:41pm On Jan 30, 2015
smh for some ppl in Nigeria ,a human being made an honest opinion about sm thing n some ninjas sees it fit not to challenge it just a little even when the company's research chief opposed Bill's opinion ...maybe when Bill gates tells u to smash ur computers on d floor u will do just dat without asking why cos he is Bill Gates n everything he says is d right

Some ppl's brains need a manual reset

This is a discussion where u air ur own views n back it up with credible points ,Am not saying dat AI can't reach a level of any threat ,am just of d opinion dat dia r always backup plans for dis kinda shii ,a pull-the-plug plan in case of emergencies n some ppl r accusing me of questioning Bill Gates cos he is God

1 Like

Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by nextstep(m): 10:21pm On Jan 30, 2015
It's hard to predict the future, but an advanced AI would be the first time we'd be challenged by an intellectual equal - if not superior - on this planet. I'm trying hard not to apply the fear mongering seen in movies and novels, but here are some practical ways we could cause trouble for ourselves:

1. create robot/ai factories that don't need human intervention to make (we're already there: entire computers can be build from sand to wafer to IC to PCB) without a human.
2. create machines that don't need external power source (with a rechargeable battery and solar cells or heat exchanger, devices can run for a long time without being plugged in
3. arguably, the only difference between a human brain and a silicon chip is the number of interconnected neurons/transistors. Increase that by 100-1000 times, and you could easily have reasoning software (aka strong AI)
4. strong AI decides it's best for it or the planet if the parasites (aka humans) didn't exist

I'd argue that we're 10-40 years away to step 3, and 5 years from that to step 4.
In all industrial history, we made machines that surpass human power (steam, electricity, combustion, nuclear), but this would be the first time we make machines that will also surpass human intelligence and agency. It's bad enough we can make disasters with dumb machines, but when the decision to launch a nuclear attack or crash a plane or stop producing crops lies with a non-human intelligence, it should make one worried.
Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by parrotibaba(m): 10:38pm On Jan 30, 2015
nextstep:
It's hard to predict the future, but an advanced AI would be the first time we'd be challenged by an intellectual equal - if not superior - on this planet. I'm trying hard not to apply the fear mongering seen in movies and novels, but here are some practical ways we could cause trouble for ourselves:

1. create robot/ai factories that don't need human intervention to make (we're already there: entire computers can be build from sand to wafer to IC to PCB) without a human.
2. create machines that don't need external power source (with a rechargeable battery and solar cells or heat exchanger, devices can run for a long time without being plugged in
3. arguably, the only difference between a human brain and a silicon chip is the number of interconnected neurons/transistors. Increase that by 100-1000 times, and you could easily have reasoning software (aka strong AI)
4. strong AI decides it's best for it or the planet if the parasites (aka humans) didn't exist

I'd argue that we're 10-40 years away to step 3, and 5 years from that to step 4.
In all industrial history, we made machines that surpass human power (steam, electricity, combustion, nuclear), but this would be the first time we make machines that will also surpass human intelligence and agency. It's bad enough we can make disasters with dumb machines, but when the decision to launch a nuclear attack or crash a plane or stop producing crops lies with a non-human intelligence, it should make one worried.
a good opinion but don't u think dat d creators of dis AI would hv an emergency backup plan?
Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by Ryabcool(m): 11:10pm On Jan 30, 2015
networkgenuis:

Gates knows exactly what he's talking about and I don't thinks his fears are unfounded. AI is a very dangerous path we shouldn't jump into blindly. A self aware machine is a risk, it may take centuries but a day will come when they will be too advanced for us to manage. Just one unit can turn rogue and corrupt others.

No one should dismiss movies such as iRobot and Skynet as mere science fiction. Those movies are science prophecies telling us what to come should we do some things blindly.
word!!!!

1 Like

Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by onegig(m): 12:11am On Jan 31, 2015
networkgenuis:

Abeg. AI is just going to be AI. Forget all those movies. And your closing paragraph even sums it up. Do something blindly? Like program a robot to go to war?

I would start believing they would take over the world and collonize us when computers starts writing their own programs without any PROMPT and inserting comments for documentation.

That it can mimick humans does not mean it has it's own intuition. That's a fundamental difference between humans and robot. Every robot created has a specified intention for its creation abd because of this. It puts a limitation to what it can do and think of. It may malfunction and cause unintended destructions due to errors or bugs but that it would deliberately out of its own accord overtake humans , dominate us and colonize us is not only far fetched but preposterous.

Fuzzy logic and stuff doesn't work that way.
Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by liveyourlife: 12:16am On Jan 31, 2015
okay!

Hope then Artificial Classroom (ยข$) won't be a problem.

See a good demo here http://
Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by Obinnio: 12:27am On Jan 31, 2015
parrotibaba:
smh for some ppl in Nigeria ,a human being made an honest opinion about sm thing n some ninjas sees it fit not to challenge it just a little even when the company's research chief opposed Bill's opinion ...maybe when Bill gates tells u to smash ur computers on d floor u will do just dat without asking why cos he is Bill Gates n everything he says is d right

Some ppl's brains need a manual reset

This is a discussion where u air ur own views n back it up with credible points ,Am not saying dat AI can't reach a level of any threat ,am just of d opinion dat dia r always backup plans for dis kinda shii ,a pull-the-plug plan in case of emergencies n some ppl r accusing me of questioning Bill Gates cos he is God
Sorry Boss, no insults intended in anyway I'll sound, I am surprised by your reasoning even when others tries to change ur view, it's good thing that you stand your ground to what You believe or think but always allow or think both negatively and positively,balance the equation, it's good that You acknowledged the positive part of AI and what good it brings but let me educate You more, Sorry to start with I studied comp Eng, I did AI as a course, I don't know your field but as You mentioned computer is gab in gab out,yes it is. But AI is different, AI is not just a computer, it is developed to carry out some human work and it is mans Intelligent that was incorporated in it through command or programming, you are right in a way cos AI cannot develop itself but remember as good programmer is busy developing Anti-Virus, someone out there is busy developing stronger Virus, Virus is a Programme developed by someone like me and you, Virus don't just fly Over the air, one Virus and the robot will start performing another task that is not it's purpose. Virus with a Command to destroy and the rest will be history, U talked of pulling the power source but remember as technology improves standards will increase,the robot maybe designed to run with solar and may have ability to store energy,if you loose the command them you also loose the control and before remedy will be found,the damage it might have coursed may be far greater than the positive, mind You AI run on 3D and can run on 4d realm,that is to see beyond human that has only 2D, as You can see it is higher than human already in viewing, now the question is,will a bad programmer infect the AI with any command which is dangerous to humans ? Answer is, Possibly Yes, remember that is how they feed and make money. I was reading from behind and never wanted to say something and was thinking you will be convinced of the negative part, but no, AI can be great for human race,the positive can be insurmountable but for you to think it does not have any threat to human race, then you need to think again, Bill is Right
Re: Microsoft's Bill Gates Insists Artificial Intelligence Is A Threat by networkgenuis: 4:31am On Jan 31, 2015
onegig:

Abeg. AI is just going to be AI. Forget all those movies. And your closing paragraph even sums it up. Do something blindly? Like program a robot to go to war?

I would start believing they would take over the world and collonize us when computers starts writing their own programs without any PROMPT and inserting comments for documentation.

That it can mimick humans does not mean it has it's own intuition. That's a fundamental difference between humans and robot. Every robot created has a specified intention for its creation abd because of this. It puts a limitation to what it can do and think of. It may malfunction and cause unintended destructions due to errors or bugs but that it would deliberately out of its own accord overtake humans , dominate us and colonize us is not only far fetched but preposterous.

Fuzzy logic and stuff doesn't work that way.
If you read my post properly, I was talking a about SELF AWARE machine there, fyi that's what AI development is gunning to achieve which is machine that is CONSCIOUS of its existence, a machine that constantly adapt to new variables through learning and without human input or interference. That's the ultimate AI. A machine with a mind.

Such machine may seem far fetched to you now, same way heavier than air flight was to people sometime ago.
Dismissing it as fuzzy logic? time will tell.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Know Of Any Chinese Android Phone That Doesn't Heat Up On Heavy Use (eg Gaming)? / How To Recover Your Stolen Android Device In Less Than 2 Minutes / Unlimited Chatting For One Year!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.