Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,157 members, 7,821,935 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:08 PM

Question To The Fulani Folks - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Question To The Fulani Folks (5737 Views)

Question To The Indians Who Come To Nairaland / The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki / The Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Question To The Fulani Folks by DaRapture: 6:43pm On Aug 15, 2011
So basically, the Hausa simply live a life of mental enslavement to the Fulani, and this is the reason why the North remains so far behind the South in all facets of life; the Fulani want the Hausa and other northern groups to remain ignorant and out of touch with the want and need for progression past vast mediocrity, because an ignorant people make for better subjects to rule over and control.

Makes perfect sense. The faster the Hausa and other northern groups take a stand and end this Fulani metal subjugation over their minds and lifestyle, the faster the North will grow from being a national terror and leach, in to an actual equal productive partner.
Re: Question To The Fulani Folks by Araboy(m): 9:10pm On Aug 16, 2011
Fulani have always seen themselves as the propagators and preservers of Islamic faith in west Africa
They spread Islam through evangelism . At times they would wage "holy wars"or jihad in order to extent and purify Islam

Their adoption of Islam increased their feelings of cultural and religious superiority to surrounding people including
Hausa  Yoruba (Nigeria) Wolof Serer (Senegal Gambia ) Mandingo Sarakole and Bambara (Mali Guinea ) etc

Some Fulani noted as outstanding Islamic clerics joining the highest ranking Arabs and Berbers
Re: Question To The Fulani Folks by pleep(m): 12:59am On Aug 17, 2011
Tweety121:

Not necessarily superior (although that's there too) but different because of religion, culture and behaviour. Certain things Hausa-Fulanis would never do that others do, and I think Southerners are more open to mingling with Northerners than vice versa

But each ethnic group thinks their own ways are better than others, the only problem is when this 'my culture is better than yours' thing leads to violence 

LOL!!!

DaRapture:

So basically, the Hausa simply live a life of mental enslavement to the Fulani
Yea thats what it seems like, I was very dissapointed when i figured that out. I even heard one british documentary describe the Hausa as "the vassels" of the Fulani But anyway, its all the more reason for Nigeria to split.
Re: Question To The Fulani Folks by Tweety121(f): 11:57am On Aug 19, 2011
DaRapture:

So basically, the Hausa simply live a life of mental enslavement to the Fulani, and this is the reason why the North remains so far behind the South in all facets of life; the Fulani want the Hausa and other northern groups to remain ignorant and out of touch with the want and need for progression past vast mediocrity, because an ignorant people make for better subjects to rule over and control.

Makes perfect sense. The faster the Hausa and other northern groups take a stand and end this Fulani metal subjugation over their minds and lifestyle, the faster the North will grow from being a national terror and leach, in to an actual equal productive partner. 

shocked

The Hausas and Fulanis have a patnership of convenience BUT also a cultural, religious and relational kinship that goes back centuries. This Fulani subjugation you're talking about is nonsense.

Fulanis may have the upper hand in SOME important areas, but on the whole Fulanis and Hausas are united and have similar objectives in the North.
Re: Question To The Fulani Folks by Tweety121(f): 12:07pm On Aug 19, 2011
dem_people:

My dear, I think you misunderstood me. I'm not attacking or undermining northerners but, just trying to state the facts of how they're perceived. Yes, there're exceptions to the stereotypes I mentioned but overwhelmingly, they're obvious to the point of being generally noticed. My good Hausa friend here in London whom I attended the same Uni with, is a Phd holder and is helping me to learn Hausa.

Unfortunately, stereotypes are stereotypes unless proven otherwise. Igbos are said to be very money-conscious, easily disposed to crimes such as 419 and kidnapping etc. While these are stereotypes, they aren't actually true. I ofcourse, is an exception to these stereotypes nevertheless.

I'm interested in learning more about Northern Nigeria but I must tell you that, majority of southerners unconsciously do look down on northerners strictly based on those stereotypes I mentioned. As a southerner, I do know better based on my exposure due to education, travelling, friendship and maturity but I must tell you honestly that, we the Igbos HAVE NEVER EVER thought of the Fulani or any other ethnic group to be better than us. Its just not the way we were built.

I like your blog though. Keep it up.

You're looking at it from your perspective, that of Southerners looking down on Fulanis, and I see it happening all the time. I'm looking at it from it from a Northern perspective though, and we also have reasons for feeling superior. It's a fact of life: each ethnic group thinks their ways are better than others.

1 Like

Re: Question To The Fulani Folks by dempeople(m): 8:33pm On Aug 19, 2011
Tweety121:

You're looking at it from your perspective, that of Southerners looking down on Fulanis, and I see it happening all the time. I'm looking at it from it from a Northern perspective though, and we also have reasons for feeling superior. It's a fact of life: each ethnic group thinks their ways are better than others.

Its not from my perspective but from the perspective of the region I grew up in. I already wrote that my views are quite different due to influences of exposure to education, travelling, friendship etc.

You don't have to migrate far to confirm what I've written. Since Nairaland is a microcosm of Nigeria itself, spend sometime in the politics section of this forum and you'll surely agree with me on how southerners view northerners. Even in national statistical records and evidences, those perspectives are quite conspicuously laid out. You're lettered so, you're much likely to believe statistical records than my words.
Re: Question To The Fulani Folks by Muza(m): 9:43pm On Aug 19, 2011
wat ever anyone will say,i still maintain that i'm Hausa-fulani,i have very strong reasons why i'm saying so.
Re: Question To The Fulani Folks by aljharem3: 10:09pm On Aug 19, 2011
To my hausa-fulani brothers/sisters and all other Northerners. Do not let them tell u rubbish here

the ethnic group is HAUSA-FULANI and not hausa alone or fulani alone BUT A JOINT WORD CALLED HAUSA-FULANI

do not be deceived by this people of the south

enff said.
Re: Question To The Fulani Folks by pleep(m): 10:36pm On Aug 19, 2011
^ what is wrong with you? why are u still pretending u are not yoruba?

grin we all know who u are.

1 Like

Re: Question To The Fulani Folks by aljharem3: 10:42pm On Aug 19, 2011
pleep:

^ what is wrong with you? why are u still pretending u are not yoruba?

grin we all know who u are.

good u know smiley
Re: Question To The Fulani Folks by Nnenna1(f): 2:05am On Aug 20, 2011
I would like to hear more from Hausas in particular if possible. Other Fulanis are welcome.
Re: Question To The Fulani Folks by Nobody: 2:10am On Aug 20, 2011
tpia:

I doubt you're Nigerian at all, because this is one of the most ignorant posts I've read so far.

Thank you. I was going to give that slowpoke a piece of my mind. What an ignorant arsehoe.
Re: Question To The Fulani Folks by Nobody: 2:12am On Aug 20, 2011
Interesting thread.

Never knew about this. . . .

Anybody that call himself Hausa-fulani is Hausa, as far as we are concern. And for your information we - the people that speak the Fulfulde language- dont call ourselves Fulani. Thats is name used by the Hausa people to call us, just like they call Igbo people Inyamuri and they call Yoruba people Boda (though not sure if all the Hausa states used that). [size=18pt]We are Fulbe as a tribe, and Pullo as an individual.[/size]

@Therma
But why are "Fulbes" called Fulanis across the Sahara Africa? I have Fulani friends from Burkina-Faso who call themselves Fulanis.
Re: Question To The Fulani Folks by dempeople(m): 7:19pm On Aug 20, 2011
alj_harem:

To my hausa-fulani brothers/sisters and all other Northerners. Do not let them tell u rubbish here

the ethnic group is HAUSA-FULANI and not hausa alone or fulani alone BUT A JOINT WORD CALLED HAUSA-FULANI

do not be deceived by this people of the south

enff said.

There will NEVER EVER be any ethnic group called Hausa-Fulani. It doesn't work like that. If there's an ethnic group called Hausa-Fulani then, there would also have been ethnic groups called; Igbo-Ijaw, Igbo-Yoruba, Hausa-Yoruba etc.  Hausa is Hausa. Fulani is Fulani. Kanuri is Kanuri. Igbo is Igbo. Yoruba is Yoruba. Ijaw is Ijaw.

A very significant amount of Ijaw people have Igbo ancestry even during pre-colonial, colonial and post-colonial times yet, we don't classify them as Igbo-Ijaw but solely Ijaw. Asari Dokubo is 40% Igbo but Ndigbo, the Ijaws and other Nigerians regard them as Ijaws.

Stop insulting the distinct cultures of both the Hausa and the Fulani by lumping them together. They have different cultures. Its cos of Nigerian politics and the power of the caliphate, that they're usually lumped together. Fulani is a minor ethnic group in Nigeria but due to the fact that they conquered the Hausa, they concocted the term "Hausa-Fulani" in other to be conspicuous within Wazobia.
Re: Question To The Fulani Folks by tpia5: 8:26pm On Aug 20, 2011
The ethnic group is hausa-fulani, sorry.

They are mixed.

Among themsleves, fulani are classified as town fulani and cattle fulani. The town fulani are the ones more likely to be mixed while the cattle fulani are not.
Re: Question To The Fulani Folks by pleep(m): 8:32pm On Aug 20, 2011
dem_people:

There will NEVER EVER be any ethnic group called Hausa-Fulani. It doesn't work like that. If there's an ethnic group called Hausa-Fulani then, there would also have been ethnic groups called; Igbo-Ijaw, Igbo-Yoruba, Hausa-Yoruba etc.  Hausa is Hausa. Fulani is Fulani. Kanuri is Kanuri. Igbo is Igbo. Yoruba is Yoruba. Ijaw is Ijaw.

A very significant amount of Ijaw people have Igbo ancestry even during pre-colonial, colonial and post-colonial times yet, we don't classify them as Igbo-Ijaw but solely Ijaw. Asari Dokubo is 40% Igbo but Ndigbo, the Ijaws and other Nigerians regard them as Ijaws.

Stop insulting the distinct cultures of both the Hausa and the Fulani by lumping them together. They have different cultures. Its cos of Nigerian politics and the power of the caliphate, that they're usually lumped together. Fulani is a minor ethnic group in Nigeria but due to the fact that they conquered the Hausa, they concocted the term "Hausa-Fulani" in other to be conspicuous within Wazobia. 
it always boggled my mind why pure Hausa ppl use the term 'hausa-fulani'
but anyways what is wazobia?
Re: Question To The Fulani Folks by dempeople(m): 8:40pm On Aug 20, 2011
tpia@:

The ethnic group is hausa-fulani, sorry.

They are mixed.

Among themsleves, fulani are classified as town fulani and cattle fulani. The town fulani are the ones more likely to be mixed while the cattle fulani are not.

So there's an ethnic group called Hausa-Fulani while there're also other ethnic groups called Hausa and Fulani? Demographically there's nothing like Hausa-Fulani ethnicity unless within the lexicon of Nigerian politics - which is still wrong and fraudulent.

I've already made my opinions clear and indeed, there're millions who share my opinion - that Hausa and Fulani are two different ethnic groups.

Its fine if you don't agree with me. It looks like we hardly agree on anything anyway. Once again, my views are sacrosanct.

pleep:

it always boggled my mind why pure Hausa ppl use the term 'hausa-fulani'
but anyways what is wazobia?

wazobia is a short term used to refer to the three main ethnic groups of Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba.

Wa = "Come" in Yoruba
Zo = "Come"  in Hausa
Bia = "Come" in Igbo

The term also has a lot of meanings within Nigeria but centered on those three ethnicities.
Re: Question To The Fulani Folks by tpia5: 9:03pm On Aug 20, 2011
^^its very difficult to separate them the way you're trying to do.

that's their identity.

if you try to see them as different, then you do so at your own risk.

they are the same.
Re: Question To The Fulani Folks by dempeople(m): 9:29pm On Aug 20, 2011
^^^^^

Ok, I think I understand this risk though. Let it be an exception to my views.  wink

[size=13pt]@pleep[/size],

BTW, the wazobia connotation was never going to be successful in implementation cos it excluded minorities. I'm actually not a supporter of it rather, I strongly champion the formal recognition of the six geopolitical zone structure, in the constitution.
Re: Question To The Fulani Folks by pleep(m): 9:54pm On Aug 20, 2011
Hausa and Fulani are not the same just because some are mixed. That is such a dumb viewpoint.

That is like saying black and whites in America are the same because of mixed people. People need to think.
Re: Question To The Fulani Folks by dempeople(m): 10:17pm On Aug 20, 2011
^^^^

Thank you. Please tell her. I'm tired of arguing on this forum.
Re: Question To The Fulani Folks by pleep(m): 10:22pm On Aug 20, 2011
Amen man. And half the people on here who want to argue cant even admit when they are wrong.
Re: Question To The Fulani Folks by tpia5: 10:41pm On Aug 20, 2011
^Do you know when to shut up?
Re: Question To The Fulani Folks by uchenana: 10:52pm On Aug 20, 2011
dem_people:

them people there is noting called hausa or fulani it is called hausa/fulani and very soon it would be kanuri/hausa/fulani

middle belt would be fulani/yoruba/nupe/igala

Hausa-Fulani is a term used to refer collectively to the Hausa and Fulani people. The two are grouped together because since the Fulani War their histories have been largely intertwined. For example, when the Fulani took over Hausa city-state of Kano during the Fulani War of 1804-1810, the new emirs ended up speaking the Hausa language instead of Fulfulde.

http://www.transparencyng.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=49:hausa-fulani&catid=193:ethnic-groups&Itemid=149
Re: Question To The Fulani Folks by pleep(m): 10:53pm On Aug 20, 2011
tpia@:

^Do you know when to shut up?

^ Was I adressing you? Nevertheless, i was shocked to hear you asking that question.
Re: Question To The Fulani Folks by tpia5: 11:16pm On Aug 20, 2011
^You should be more shocked at your personal i.diocy.

I suppose you meant to quote someone else, not me.
Re: Question To The Fulani Folks by pleep(m): 11:18pm On Aug 20, 2011
sure i did. w/e it takes tpia@ wink
Re: Question To The Fulani Folks by tpia5: 11:21pm On Aug 20, 2011
Bye.
Re: Question To The Fulani Folks by Nobody: 1:31am On Jul 04, 2012
Araboy: I don't know much about Hausa but Fulani are very proud warriors
Fulani were the first to embrace Islam in Africa
Usman dan Fodio (Nigeria) and Elhadji Omar Tall (Senegal) have played big role in the Islamization of most west Africa except Mauritania
Nigerians Fulani are the most rich but also the most conservative and radical among Fulani
Fulani are Minority in every  African country Guinea is the most Fulani country where they represent 42% of the population

interesting...
Re: Question To The Fulani Folks by Blyss: 6:03am On Jul 04, 2012
Tweety121:

shocked

The Hausas and Fulanis have a patnership of convenience BUT also a cultural, religious and relational kinship that goes back centuries. This Fulani subjugation you're talking about is nonsense.

Fulanis may have the upper hand in SOME important areas, but on the whole Fulanis and Hausas are united and have similar objectives in the North.

Batman and Robin are partners, The US and UK are partners but everyone knows that Robin and the UK are simply sidekicks or subjects of their superior partner, and it's obvious that this Hausa Fulbe relationship works pretty much the same way.
Re: Question To The Fulani Folks by Blyss: 6:21am On Jul 04, 2012
pleep: Amen man. And half the people on here who want to argue cant even admit when they are wrong.

Aint that the truth. I've been dealing with these folks since my legendary HERO days when I used write whole essays on this biatch, and once classic thing that irked me the most back then was just how unable most of these people on here are to admit when they're wrong, despite mountains of evidence being put before them.

Arrogance and ignorance is a horrific mental mixture. I gave up on all that heavy debating stuff I use to do with the old head AA on here back in the day; hollering at my girls Sista and Drusilla and my boy Mandingo with his crazy azz. cheesy It's nice to see we've got some knew bloods in here, MsChima, Royal and MsDarkSkin... who hates my guts right now, but that's ok; she's still my girl. cheesy
Re: Question To The Fulani Folks by Ibrahimmrfish(m): 9:02am On Jul 04, 2012
Poster,since when do Abuja become a southern city?Know d difference between north and south,Abuja is a Guari land,so do not make a mistake and classify it as south Abuja was carve out of Niger state and Niger is north.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Brief History About Oke Idanre / Oso Owo Tabi Anabo Owo / Why Do Nigerians Wear Suits & Gowns At Church Weddings Instead Of Native Dress

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.