Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,992 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:07 AM

Question To The Fulani Folks - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Question To The Fulani Folks (5738 Views)

Question To The Indians Who Come To Nairaland / The Fulani - Bibbe Fulbe Lessdi Afriki / The Fulani (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Question To The Fulani Folks by Blyss: 1:05pm On Jul 04, 2012
Ibrahim mr fish: Poster,since when do Abuja become a southern city?Know d difference between north and south,Abuja is a Guari land,so do not make a mistake and classify it as south Abuja was carve out of Niger state and Niger is north.

Whatever. Are you Hausa or Fulani?
Re: Question To The Fulani Folks by JallowBah(f): 6:09pm On Jul 04, 2012
KB1: Do you dislike the fact of that many folks lump you'all into the Hausa group? Like they won't refer to you as simply Fulani, but rather Hausa-Fulani. My Fulani neighbor says she hates when people do that, in that she feels as though it discredits the Fulani as a substantiated settled group of Nigerians with an identity and place of their own amongst the Nigerian people. She says that people who use such hyphenated title often are those who do not recognize the Fulani as REAL Nigerians, rather considering them as simply foreign settlers or better yet, roaming invaders. What say you?

Another question is; how do Fulani kids within the more modern, big, integrated southern cities of Naija, like Lagos and Abuja, act and socialize being outside of the traditional Fulani environment within small herding communities in the Naija Northern Savannah? Do they, change up their style of dress, become more proactive in school events, go hang out with friends at the malls and other entertainment venues? You know regular kids stuff; or are they restricted to following their extreme cultural limitations of having a social life?

My husband is Gambian, living in Europe, but I still feel I can answer.

He is half fulani,calls himself pullo. When someone call him tuareg, torobe, hausa..he don`t like it. Thats like someone calling me Swedish when I am from another Scandinavian country.

From what I see with the fulani I know, they try to keep as many cultural things as they can, even if they are not nomades or bush-people anymore. They make sure they know the language, the make sure they have the traditional skirts/clothes, jewelry etc.
I am hoping our child will have the best of both cultural. I wish for her to be just as proud of being half fula, as she should be proud of being half-european. Both sides is now a part of her history. I come fromm a family where we value respect for elders, manners in public, etc. Mine and his culture have much of the same morals and ethics.
Of course she is not going to be able to run around in this cold country in traditional fula-dress, but I sure hope she will use it as much as possible when the weather lets her..

1 Like

Re: Question To The Fulani Folks by BahPulo(f): 9:43pm On Jul 04, 2012
I don't know why some nigerian fulanis call themselves 'hausa fulani' that's their rights and business. I just don't want to be called anything but fulani.

1 Like

Re: Question To The Fulani Folks by Fulaman198(m): 4:15pm On Sep 26, 2013
I am only Fulani, no Hausa mix. I'm proud of being Mbororo Fulani

1 Like

Re: Question To The Fulani Folks by Fulaman198(m): 4:34pm On Sep 29, 2013
KB1: Do you dislike the fact of that many folks lump you'all into the Hausa group? Like they won't refer to you as simply Fulani, but rather Hausa-Fulani. My Fulani neighbor says she hates when people do that, in that she feels as though it discredits the Fulani as a substantiated settled group of Nigerians with an identity and place of their own amongst the Nigerian people. She says that people who use such hyphenated title often are those who do not recognize the Fulani as REAL Nigerians, rather considering them as simply foreign settlers or better yet, roaming invaders. What say you?

Another question is; how do Fulani kids within the more modern, big, integrated southern cities of Naija, like Lagos and Abuja, act and socialize being outside of the traditional Fulani environment within small herding communities in the Naija Northern Savannah? Do they, change up their style of dress, become more proactive in school events, go hang out with friends at the malls and other entertainment venues? You know regular kids stuff; or are they restricted to following their extreme cultural limitations of having a social life?

It is only the misinformed who put Hausa and Fulani together. That would be like putting Yoruba and Igbo together. Nigeria has a lot of Fulani subgroups as well as several Hausa subgroups.

Fulani children who grow up in big cities like Lagos, Abuja can lose several aspects of their culture if not careful. Unless they speak Fulfulde consistently, they can lose their language to either English or Hausa. I urge Fulani parents to teach their children about their culture and values.

Dediraabe Fulbe, mi noddi o hande, Allah/Geno accu demgal Fulfulde e finatawa meden. Mo jangali famata.

2 Likes

Re: Question To The Fulani Folks by Nobody: 11:10pm On Sep 29, 2013
so wait, there are really fulanis who refer to themselves as "hausa-fulani"?
Re: Question To The Fulani Folks by Fulaman198(m): 11:45pm On Sep 29, 2013
*Kails*:
so wait, there are really fulanis who refer to themselves as "hausa-fulani"?

Yes those "Fulani" who have been integrated into Hausa culture that may have Fulani roots but do not understand anything about Fulani culture and only Hausa culture.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Oso Owo Tabi Anabo Owo / Why Do Nigerians Wear Suits & Gowns At Church Weddings Instead Of Native Dress / Origin Of Ubulu-uku Kingdom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.