Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,700 members, 7,831,181 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:59 PM

Girls Married Before 19 Or 20 Should Be Made Illegal....especially In The North - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Girls Married Before 19 Or 20 Should Be Made Illegal....especially In The North (1028 Views)

Court Declares LG Marriage Certificates Illegal / No Girl Should Be Married Before 17 –aisha Buhari / Nigerian Woman Among Rescued Illegal Migrants Gives Birth On Mediterranean Sea (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Girls Married Before 19 Or 20 Should Be Made Illegal....especially In The North by Nobody: 2:46pm On Jan 30, 2015
Girls getting married at 13 or 14. children getting married and having children of their own, most of them without any formal education or training on how to take care of a household. This problem isn't just in Nigeria, its all over the world, and sadly where islam is practised and the belief is that a girl is eligible for marriage when she has matured..The world isn't what it used to be in the past, girls getting their period between the ages on 13-15, now even 9 year olds can start menstruating! So tell me is it still applicable that that child is ripe for marriage?

It should be made illegal no matter the circumstances. Girls have rights of their own, especially to an education that has been deprived from them already.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Girls Married Before 19 Or 20 Should Be Made Illegal....especially In The North by podosci(m): 2:51pm On Jan 30, 2015
saratumohd:
Girls getting married at 13 or 14. children getting married and having children of their own, most of them without any formal education or training on how to take care of a household. This problem isn't just in Nigeria, its all over the world, and sadly where islam is practised and the belief is that a girl is eligible for marriage when she has matured..The world isn't what it used to be in the past, girls getting their period between the ages on 13-15, now even 9 year olds can start menstruating! So tell me is it still applicable that that child is ripe for marriage?

It should be made illegal no matter the circumstances. Girls have rights of their own, especially to an education that has been deprived from them already.
Am i support of your motion but i have Question, what if the girl gets married and continues school? And she is properly taken care of by her husband, she goes to the best schools?
Re: Girls Married Before 19 Or 20 Should Be Made Illegal....especially In The North by Nobody: 2:54pm On Jan 30, 2015
podosci:

Am i support of your motion but i have Question, what if the girl gets married and continues school? And she is properly taken care of by her husband, she goes to the best schools?

Let the girl figure out who she wants to be...if the man in question still wants to marry her and it has come to a certain agreement between the two families, and he has the funds, let him sponsor her education UNTIL the appropriate time for them to wed.
Re: Girls Married Before 19 Or 20 Should Be Made Illegal....especially In The North by podosci(m): 3:02pm On Jan 30, 2015
saratumohd:

Let the girl figure out who she wants to be...if the man in question still wants to marry her and it has come to a certain agreement between the two families, and he has the funds, let him sponsor her education UNTIL the appropriate time for them to wed.
There is a 13year old girl in my street that has slept with virtually every guy she knows and she has had sex with people my Age.....
at that age she already knows the pleasure of sex,,,,,, and even many young girls her age are involved in sexual relationships with their partners.......a 15 year old got pregnant and gave birth in the same town......
Are we to ban sexual activities all together or just marriage?
Medically speaking a girl can give birth at that age without complications have done my research on it
Re: Girls Married Before 19 Or 20 Should Be Made Illegal....especially In The North by tracyfemmmm: 3:11pm On Jan 30, 2015
I completely agree with you OP it should be made illegal.
Re: Girls Married Before 19 Or 20 Should Be Made Illegal....especially In The North by Nobody: 3:14pm On Jan 30, 2015
podosci:

There is a 13year old girl in my street that has slept with virtually every guy she knows and she has had sex with people my Age.....
at that age she already knows the pleasure of sex,,,,,, and even many young girls her age are involved in sexual relationships with their partners.......a 15 year old got pregnant and gave birth in the same town......
Are we to ban sexual activities all together or just marriage?
Medically speaking a girl can give birth at that age without complications have done my research on it

Im talking about children's rights here, how parents rather marry their children off at ridiculous ages to men twice their age when they can no longer take care of them...Those girls ur talking about ddnt have gud upbringings or the right choices, so don't put them in the same situation.
Re: Girls Married Before 19 Or 20 Should Be Made Illegal....especially In The North by podosci(m): 3:27pm On Jan 30, 2015
saratumohd:

Im talking about children's rights here, how parents rather marry their children off at ridiculous ages to men twice their age when they can no longer take care of them...Those girls ur talking about ddnt have gud upbringings or the right choices, so don't put them in the same situation.
Its in Nigeria that issues like "Good upbringing " comes into play when discussing teen sex.
In Countries like UK and Britain, having sex is a very normal thing among teenagers,,,, infact it has turned to a leisure activity.....and of course we cant compare the level of development and organization they have to ours
The world has evolved, the psysh of young men and women has changed it mayb due to exposure to internet or Tv but things aint has they used to be......There is a decadence in our moral value in the world.
either we make available more condoms and contraceptives or we make away to integrate marriage and education of teenage girls.....
The rate of teen pregnancy is going to get worst....I had sex for the first time at 16, and that was them....imagine the age boys of now start engaging in sexual activities.
Re: Girls Married Before 19 Or 20 Should Be Made Illegal....especially In The North by raumdeuter: 4:21pm On Jan 30, 2015
A typical white mother introduces her daughters to pills from age 12.
Re: Girls Married Before 19 Or 20 Should Be Made Illegal....especially In The North by ireneidiva(f): 5:02pm On Jan 30, 2015
podosci:

Its in Nigeria that issues like "Good upbringing " comes into play when discussing teen sex.
In Countries like UK and Britain, having sex is a very normal thing among teenagers,,,, infact it has turned to a leisure activity.....and of course we cant compare the level of development and organization they have to ours
The world has evolved, the psysh of young men and women has changed it mayb due to exposure to internet or Tv but things aint has they used to be......There is a decadence in our moral value in the world.
either we make available more condoms and contraceptives or we make away to integrate marriage and education of teenage girls.....
The rate of teen pregnancy is going to get worst....I had sex for the first time at 16, and that was them....imagine the age boys of now start engaging in sexual activities.
That's you. You made a bad choice. I also know teenagers that make and have mad good choices. At the end of the day, even Promiscuity is not a gfood escuse to marry your daughter off. People still cheat even in marriage and sleep around. We just need to continue giving sex education. Marriage does not stop promiscuity. A 13 year old should be thinking of what she would love to study in school and not cooking for her husban and children or sex for christ sake.
Re: Girls Married Before 19 Or 20 Should Be Made Illegal....especially In The North by ireneidiva(f): 5:02pm On Jan 30, 2015
podosci:

That's you. You made a bad choice. I also know teenagers that make and have mad good choices. At the end of the day, even Promiscuity is not a gfood escuse to marry your daughter off. People still cheat even in marriage and sleep around. We just need to continue giving sex education. Marriage does not stop promiscuity. A 13 year old should be thinking of what she would love to study in school and not cooking for her husband and children or sex for christ sake.
Re: Girls Married Before 19 Or 20 Should Be Made Illegal....especially In The North by nke001: 5:52pm On Jan 30, 2015
saratumohd:

Now we are ready to move forward. This had been campaigned against but those it affects most seems to be okay with it.
Wish U well on your child right abuse campaign.
Re: Girls Married Before 19 Or 20 Should Be Made Illegal....especially In The North by mgbeketoto: 8:16pm On Jan 30, 2015
Tell GENERAL YERIMA BUHARI that! cheesy

BOTH wives were UNDER 15 when he started MOUNTING AND GRAZING THEM!!!! grin
Re: Girls Married Before 19 Or 20 Should Be Made Illegal....especially In The North by ArewaSweetheart(f): 9:41pm On Jan 30, 2015
saratumohd:

My neighbour's 14yrs old daughter just got married today sef & i gladly attended cos i was duly invited cheesy

Anyways, inasmuch i might agree with you, i dont think what you are proposing will work here north cos this is a tradition that has both cultural & religious backing/support; thus it is commonly being practiced by both the educated elites(like my neighbour for example) & the illiterate masses. And any attempt to curb the practice will surely be vehemently resisted.
Re: Girls Married Before 19 Or 20 Should Be Made Illegal....especially In The North by lilmax(m): 10:29pm On Jan 30, 2015
And after this everyone goes to bed cheesy funny website @op make sure you dont carry this outside nairaland or you will regret it
Re: Girls Married Before 19 Or 20 Should Be Made Illegal....especially In The North by Nobody: 9:16am On Jan 31, 2015
lilmax:
And after this everyone goes to bed cheesy funny website @op make sure you dont carry this outside nairaland or you will regret it

sticks and stones tongue

(1) (Reply)

My Security Guard...a Model Family Man. / I Don't Like Sharing My Cloths With My Siblings...is It Normal? / ‘My Wife Is Pregnant For Someone Else' - Husband Tells Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.