Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,600 members, 7,812,961 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:54 PM

CASSAVA BREAD: Another Failed GEJ's Policy (PHOTO) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CASSAVA BREAD: Another Failed GEJ's Policy (PHOTO) (8034 Views)

Akinwunmi Adesina: We Were Mocked For 'Cassava Bread’, Now Everyone Eats It / Where Can I Buy Jonathan's Cassava Bread? / Fact: Why Biafra Failed........ GEJ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

CASSAVA BREAD: Another Failed GEJ's Policy (PHOTO) by 1LRNZH: 4:57am On Jan 31, 2015
I was in Lagos to witness the greatest rally ever organised in Sub-Saharan Africa yesterday. GMB and APC witnessed a massively mind-boggling turnout.

I noticed an expat (oyinbo - maybe na Nigerian sef) buying the famous agege bread by the road side. See evidence:

[img]http://photos-3.dropbox.com/t/2/AABOAJV8J2zz-c9lwaO9M0rchzORIMtA1Ny6F0NeToVokg/12/142072197/jpeg/1024x768/3/1422691200/0/2/2013-12-08%2011.15.45.jpg/CIWz30MgASACIAMoASgC/jZlWqyUY4pZ0bqiAAf0mKPu-kT-4YeqoiH-mcAjURx0[/img]

It got me thinking.........What happened to the much touted GEJ's Cassava Bread. It never made it outside of Aso Rock or what?

A cursory research
(http://www.punchng.com/feature/healthy-eating/why-i-will-not-eat-cassava-bread/)[b] quickly showed that GEJ was marketting a useless product cluelessly as shown below:

1. Unless it bothers on health and safety matters for the citizenry, there is no country where consumption of any food is governed by legislation or promoted by campaign.

2. Cassava is rated as one of the 10 most dangerous foods. Cassava contains toxins including cyanide, linamarin and lotaustralin, which can damage the liver, kidneys and the brain. Some of the effects of cyanide poisoning are headache, dizziness, agitation, confusion, coma and convulsions.
Do the promoters of cassava bread also know that the Japanese Ministry of Health prohibits the use of cassava as human food? One of the reasons why Japan banned consumption of cassava is based on the fact that toxic components of the crop may cause brain damage related to pituitary gland that causes other damage to various organs.

3. Cassava can be a serious health hazard if it is not processed properly. The question is: who determines and monitors the proper processing of cassava flour to bake bread for mass consumption in a country like Nigeria where anything goes?

4. Once cassava is harvested, deterioration of its nutritional value begins immediately. Yet, we all know that harvested cassava tubers are often stacked in the sun for days due to lack of roads and transport to evacuate farm products to the processing centres.

5. Another challenge to making cassava bread acceptable is the diversity of cassava plant species with some species having higher level of cyanide and other toxic elements than the others. Who will regulate the appropriate species for bakeries in Nigeria?

6. Cassava is low in protein and other essential micronutrients to the extent that malnutrition can occur if it is made a major part of one’s diet. Otherwise, why did the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and International Institute of Tropical Agriculture IITA embark on a futile fortification of cassava with vitamin A?

7. As an acid-forming food, regular consumption of cassava can cause pH imbalance and make the body prone to degenerative diseases like diabetes, cancer, heart disease, hypertension, glaucoma and arthritis.

8. Over 100 years ago, a group of Japanese immigrants went to Brazil for coffee planting in search of greener pasture when Japan was down the ladder economically. However, the Japanese immigrants did not get the initial support of foods and farmlands promised by the Brazilian government. Consequently, the Japanese immigrants planted cassava just to survive and many of them died due to cassava poisoning. In fact, in the records of Japanese immigrants to Brazil, only three Japanese survived up to the end of Second World War.

Given these facts, I will not eat cassava bread. But this is not to discount cassava as a crop with huge potential to create jobs and wealth especially if our energy and resources are committed to its mass cultivation and processing for animal feed and industrial uses outside the scope of human nutrition.

Why can't GEJ get it right for once?
[/b]

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: CASSAVA BREAD: Another Failed GEJ's Policy (PHOTO) by ajoskele(m): 5:07am On Jan 31, 2015
Just like Mimiko's tomato paste. I schooled where the factory was said to be located. Even if the paste CANNOT get to Akure the state capital, which is over 1hour drive, at least it should get to the next town where my school is located. A 10-minutes journey!

OSRC, the Ondo State Radiovision Corporation really made a fool of us!!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: CASSAVA BREAD: Another Failed GEJ's Policy (PHOTO) by moderatorr1: 5:09am On Jan 31, 2015
That awkward moment you forget that the EBA you eat everyday is casava.

15 Likes

Re: CASSAVA BREAD: Another Failed GEJ's Policy (PHOTO) by datguru: 5:10am On Jan 31, 2015
Anyone that fails should repeat please
Re: CASSAVA BREAD: Another Failed GEJ's Policy (PHOTO) by Nobody: 5:11am On Jan 31, 2015
going back to sleep sef!

1 Like

Re: CASSAVA BREAD: Another Failed GEJ's Policy (PHOTO) by FastShipping: 5:12am On Jan 31, 2015
grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: CASSAVA BREAD: Another Failed GEJ's Policy (PHOTO) by jars9: 5:13am On Jan 31, 2015
Goat google well you would discover it was one of obasanjo's policy that GEJ was trying to promote

6 Likes

Re: CASSAVA BREAD: Another Failed GEJ's Policy (PHOTO) by LRNZH(m): 5:16am On Jan 31, 2015
moderatorr1:
That awkward moment you forget that the EBA you eat everyday is casava.

Cassava is not the failure.

Cassava bread as marketted by the FG is the failure. Cassava should not be the food of choice for a staple like bread. It is not much nutritious and has lethal poisons when not handed properly.

How many Nigerian bakeries can be regulated in that fashion especially after long storage of cassava?

5 Likes

Re: CASSAVA BREAD: Another Failed GEJ's Policy (PHOTO) by Goddex: 5:25am On Jan 31, 2015
[size=13pt]OP, stop making a fool of yourself.

You eat cassava bread everyday and not know it.
All flour mills in the country were mandated to step up the quantity of cassava flour mixed with wheat.

My friend is smiling to the bank from this business. He goes to middle belt - (Taraba, Nasarawa and Benue) to get the cassava flour in several lorry loads and supply to flour milling companies. He is not even alone in this business, many Nigerians are taking advantage.

You eat casava bread
[/size]

15 Likes

Re: CASSAVA BREAD: Another Failed GEJ's Policy (PHOTO) by LRNZH(m): 5:43am On Jan 31, 2015
Goddex:
[size=13pt]OP, stop making a fool of yourself.

You eat cassava bread everyday and not know it.
All flour mills in the country were mandated to step up the quantity of cassava flour mixed with wheat.

My friend is smiling to the bank from this business. He goes to middle belt - (Taraba, Nasarawa and Benue) to get the cassava flour in several lorry loads and supply to flour milling companies. He is not even alone in this business, many Nigerians are taking advantage.

You eat casava bread
[/size]

My friend, arrange your lies properly.

1. The major states of Nigeria which produce cassava are Anambra, Delta, Edo, Benue, Cross River, Imo, Oyo, and Rivers, and to a lesser extent Kwara and Ondo.

Cassava production dominates the southern part of the country, both in terms of area covered and number of farmers growing the crop. those mills you claim are closer to the southern states.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassava_production_in_Nigeria

Your phantom friend is going on a fool's errand in Taraba and Nassarawa States.

2. Those flour mills are for feedstock for industrial starch manufacturing and animal feed. Not for mixing cassava with wheat bread.

Like I said before, learn to arrange your lies properly before spewing them just in support of GEJ.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: CASSAVA BREAD: Another Failed GEJ's Policy (PHOTO) by Sunnybobo3(m): 6:05am On Jan 31, 2015
LRNZH:

Cassava is not the failure.

Cassava bread as marketted by the FG is the failure. Cassava should not be the food of choice for a staple like bread. It is not much nutritious and has lethal poisons when not handed properly.

How many Nigerian bakeries can be regulated in that fashion especially after long storage of cassava?

You see how you keep making a f00l of yourself?

Do bakeries mill flour?

5 Likes

Re: CASSAVA BREAD: Another Failed GEJ's Policy (PHOTO) by apcmustwin(f): 6:39am On Jan 31, 2015
I thought I was an obj project
Re: CASSAVA BREAD: Another Failed GEJ's Policy (PHOTO) by Princecalm(m): 6:53am On Jan 31, 2015
Cassava bread my foot, the name is now even forgotten by most Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: CASSAVA BREAD: Another Failed GEJ's Policy (PHOTO) by cocoduck: 6:57am On Jan 31, 2015
LRNZH:

My friend, arrange your lies properly.

1. The major states of Nigeria which produce cassava are Anambra, Delta, Edo, Benue, Cross River, Imo, Oyo, and Rivers, and to a lesser extent Kwara and Ondo.

Cassava production dominates the southern part of the country, both in terms of area covered and number of farmers growing the crop. those mills you claim are closer to the southern states.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassava_production_in_Nigeria

Your phantom friend is going on a fool's errand in Taraba and Nassarawa States.

2. Those flour mills are for feedstock for industrial starch manufacturing and animal feed. Not for mixing cassava with wheat bread.

Like I said before, learn to arrange your lies properly before spewing them just in support of GEJ.
You eat it daily without knowing, there is no way you can tell the difference, because it is not wholly cassava but mixed in appropriate parts.

5 Likes

Re: CASSAVA BREAD: Another Failed GEJ's Policy (PHOTO) by jamalchance(m): 6:59am On Jan 31, 2015
APC supporters, they must find fault ..... They can't even let bread be

8 Likes

Re: CASSAVA BREAD: Another Failed GEJ's Policy (PHOTO) by cocoduck: 7:04am On Jan 31, 2015
OP please I am sorry, do you have a gene of stupidity in your DNA? How does a MAN like you and I buying agege bread equate to Federal government failure? How? are you in his pocket? Do you know whether he is broke? Maybe you see that man as a god, I see him as an ordinary man in flesh and blood, BTW agege bread IS partly cassava and partly wheat, the bread makers are in for business not Charity.
I wonder how people think. I am beginning to fell strongly that APC makes people throw their common sense to dogs.

13 Likes

Re: CASSAVA BREAD: Another Failed GEJ's Policy (PHOTO) by hyfr(m): 7:07am On Jan 31, 2015
If you've not discovered that LRNZH is a paid assistant by the APC to. Bring up stinking propagandas then you need someone to school you about him. This is the most stupid thread of the morning.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: CASSAVA BREAD: Another Failed GEJ's Policy (PHOTO) by LRNZH(m): 7:24am On Jan 31, 2015
cocoduck:

OP please I am sorry, do you have a gene of stupidity in your DNA? How does a MAN like you and I buying agege bread equate to Federal government failure? How? are you in his pocket? Do you know whether he is broke? Maybe you see that man as a god, I see him as an ordinary man in flesh and blood, BTW agege bread IS partly cassava and partly wheat, the bread makers are in for business not Charity.
I wonder how people think. I am beginning to fell strongly that APC makes people throw their common sense to dogs.

I think some of you need to go back to night school to request for a refund because you didn't learn anything.

Where in the OP did you read all these accusations you're making?

Someone buying agege bread inspired OP to remember the long forgotten Cassava Bread that GEJ has been claiming to eat everyday in Aso Rock...(I still dey laff sef).

If Cassava is in all the bread we eat in Nigeria why is GEJ wasting national time to market it as if there are not more pressing national issues?

You see how you people produce one lie then start struggling to cover it up with another lie?

6 Likes

Re: CASSAVA BREAD: Another Failed GEJ's Policy (PHOTO) by Nobody: 7:27am On Jan 31, 2015
It is never a failed project. check again most of the breads, biscuits and snacks in retail shops in your street are been domesticated with a little ratio of cassava flours. And the stakes is gradually improving in other aspects.

2 Likes

Re: CASSAVA BREAD: Another Failed GEJ's Policy (PHOTO) by LRNZH(m): 7:30am On Jan 31, 2015
jars9:
Goat google well you would discover it was one of obasanjo's policy that GEJ was trying to promote

So if OBJ enter gutter, GEJ go follow am like sheep abi?
PDP leading Nigerians astray since 4th Republic

[img]http://3.bp..com/-N9KFLJMhDow/VDZeBdK2obI/AAAAAAABL4U/HUWQDXhb37U/s1600/1%2Ba%2Bgirl%2Bbegging%2Bfor%2Bit%2Bonline.jpg[/img]

5 Likes

Re: CASSAVA BREAD: Another Failed GEJ's Policy (PHOTO) by agabaI23(m): 7:39am On Jan 31, 2015
Is it by force to criticise GEJ? Honeywell and flour mills now produce composite flour for bread making. Most of The bread you eat contains 20% cassava flour OK.
Re: CASSAVA BREAD: Another Failed GEJ's Policy (PHOTO) by 1LRNZH: 7:57am On Jan 31, 2015
agabaI23:
Is it by force to criticise GEJ? Honeywell and flour mills now produce composite flour for bread making. Most of The bread you eat contains 20% cassava flour OK.

Why do you GEJites lie continuously without rest?
Show us your evidence of 20% Cassava in the composite flour

Honeywell composite flour is 5% and 10% Cassava.
Honeywell is trying to train a few select bakers on how to use this composite flour due to FG directive.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/news/news-headlines/item/21661-honeywell-trains-bakers-on-composite-flour-bread/21661-honeywell-trains-bakers-on-composite-flour-bread

5% to 10% Cassava in flour. Is that the Cassava Bread? I still dey laff this children

2 Likes

Re: CASSAVA BREAD: Another Failed GEJ's Policy (PHOTO) by agabaI23(m): 8:17am On Jan 31, 2015
1LRNZH:

Why do you GEJites lie continuously without rest?
Show us your evidence of 20% Cassava in the composite flour

Honeywell composite flour is 5% and 10% Cassava.
Honeywell is trying to train bakers on how to use this composite flour due to FG directive.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/news/news-headlines/item/21661-honeywell-trains-bakers-on-composite-flour-bread/21661-honeywell-trains-bakers-on-composite-flour-bread

5% to 10% Cassava in flour. Is that the Cassava Bread? I still dey laff this children
I thought you said Cassava bread is a failure and yet you have all these information? Did GEJ tell you he has produced 100% cassava bread? 20% was launched late last year.

4 Likes

Re: CASSAVA BREAD: Another Failed GEJ's Policy (PHOTO) by 1LRNZH: 8:23am On Jan 31, 2015
agabaI23:
I thought you said Cassava bread is a failure and yet you have all these information? Did GEJ tell you he has produced 100% cassava bread? 20% was launched late last year.

A by force directive is what you call a success?
Only a few select bakers were trained. We are yet to see the bread from this 5%-10% cassava composite flour.

Show us link to prove the 20% Cassava in Honeywell composite flour as you claim...... I dey wait

1 Like

Re: CASSAVA BREAD: Another Failed GEJ's Policy (PHOTO) by ckmayoca: 9:06am On Jan 31, 2015
datguru:
Anyone that fails should repeat please

Not like HIV
Re: CASSAVA BREAD: Another Failed GEJ's Policy (PHOTO) by LRNZH(m): 9:35am On Jan 31, 2015
agabaI23:

I'm still waiting for your evidence of 20% Cassava in Honeywell's Composite Flour. Or are you writing the article yourself? shocked grin

TANoids can't stop lying...
Re: CASSAVA BREAD: Another Failed GEJ's Policy (PHOTO) by joeyfire(m): 9:41am On Jan 31, 2015
Bros read more. Cassava bread is already part of our staple diet and has been for a while.

http://www.channelstv.com/2013/12/21/nigeria-commits-4-3-billion-naira-to-cassava-flour-processing/

The Nigerian government is spending 4.3 billion Naira (about 27.6 million dollars) on the upgrading of small Cassava flourmills and processors.

The fund is to be managed by the Bank of Industry (BOI).

The Minister of Agriculture, Akinwumi Adesina and the Managing Director of the BOI, Evelyn Oputu, signed the Cassava Bread Fund agreement.

It is also aimed at providing ready market for Cassava farmers.

“As we speak today, six industrial corporate bakers and 20 master bakers produce Cassava bread regularly with at least 20 per cent high quality Cassava flour.

“Nigerians like this bread. It is healthier, tastier and cheaper and the demand for it is rising by the day.
Re: CASSAVA BREAD: Another Failed GEJ's Policy (PHOTO) by LRNZH(m): 9:53am On Jan 31, 2015
joeyfire:
Bros read more. Cassava bread is already part of our staple diet and has been for a while.

http://www.channelstv.com/2013/12/21/nigeria-commits-4-3-billion-naira-to-cassava-flour-processing/

The Nigerian government is spending 4.3 billion Naira (about 27.6 million dollars) on the upgrading of small Cassava flourmills and processors.

The fund is to be managed by the Bank of Industry (BOI).

The Minister of Agriculture, Akinwumi Adesina and the Managing Director of the BOI, Evelyn Oputu, signed the Cassava Bread Fund agreement.

It is also aimed at providing ready market for Cassava farmers.

“As we speak today, six industrial corporate bakers and 20 master bakers produce Cassava bread regularly with at least 20 per cent high quality Cassava flour.

“Nigerians like this bread. It is healthier, tastier and cheaper and the demand for it is rising by the day.

1. The Minister of Agriculture made this statement that money has been pumped into the failed policy. Judging by past antecedents of NOI, Aganga, Okupe, Moro...... GEJ's minsters are mostly liars.
By the way do you expect him to admit that the policy has failed?
Only the Agric Minister has seen 20% Cassava composite. Honeywell that produces it reports 5% and 10% cassava respectively.

2. No opinion poll or people were interviewed about their preference for cassava bread if it exists outside of Aso Rock

3. Youvr got to be kidding. Out of the hundreds of thousands if not millions of bakeries in Nigeria only 26 bakers produce Cassava bread regularly. Is that successful to you? It is not even up to a drop in the ocean.

Abeg stop defending failure and cluelessness.
Re: CASSAVA BREAD: Another Failed GEJ's Policy (PHOTO) by rozayx5(m): 9:53am On Jan 31, 2015
ClerverIy:

Tell me one policy of Buhari's government

cancelling of all capital projects and flogging of medical doctors who complain about lack of equipment cool
thats the kind of change we need, Jonathan is a "failure" grin grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari Facilitates With Oladunni Oyewumi Ajagungbade The Soun Of Ogbomoso At 90 / Abike Dabiri And President Hage Geingob Attend US Africa Agenda Forum / Buhari Wears Two Different Clothes On Monday From Home To Office (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.