Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,845 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:52 AM

Briggs: Peterside Leads Wike In Rivers Guber Poll - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Briggs: Peterside Leads Wike In Rivers Guber Poll (2091 Views)

Protest Against Wike In Abuja For Killing Of Police Officers In Rivers Rerun / Amaechi And Wike In Handshake During Peace Meeting On Rivers Rerun / Six Reasons Why Dakuku Peterside Of APC Will Win Rivers Guber Elections Rerun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Briggs: Peterside Leads Wike In Rivers Guber Poll by pendy79: 3:42pm On Feb 02, 2015
The massive crowd recorded at the campaign rally of the All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship candidate, Dakuku Peterside, in Obio-Akpor Rivers State, at the weekend, had proven emphatically that Obio-Akpor is not the exclusive preserve of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) governorship candidate, Nyesom Wike, said Andy Briggs, a media and political strategist
Briggs said the rally which held at the College of Arts and Sciences, drew a record-breaking crowd of Obio-Akpor indigenes as well as non-indigenes. Obio-Akpor has the largest non-indigene population in Rivers State.

Speaking at the rally, Chief Willie Ubaka, a non-indigene and well-known Obio-Akpor leader, declared that non-indigenes would deliver hundred per cent of their votes to Dakuku Peterside. He said the non-indigenes fear that a Wike’s administration would be hurtful to their economic activities due to his initiation of all kinds of revenue collecting task forces during his tenure as Obio-Akpor council boss.

According to Ifeanyi Ofor an Ibo businessman, “Wike will, tax even our television set, if he is governor.”

Opinion polls, however, confirmed the assertions as they suggest that Dakuku Peterside is emerging as the favourite to win the governorship election due to his popularity with non-indigenes who make up the largest political bloc in the state.
Other factors for Peterside’s rise in the polls, according to Briggs include his rising popularity in Ikwerre land, the massive Ogoni support heightened by the involvement of Senator Magnus Abe in his campaign, the continuing discomfort of Riverine groups with Wike’s ambition and Rivers people’s more approving perception of Peterside.

According to a survey of opinions from all over the state, Wike’s aggressive image is a turn-off. People especially in the riverine communities feel that he has been quite cunning, exploiting the opportunities presented by the conflict between President Jonathan and Governor Chibuike Amaechi to hijack the Rivers PDP.

“Wike would be a generous governor to his allies and a terror to his foes. He would pack a lot of muscle on the street and he would not, when infuriated, respect the freedom of the press and the rights of those who disagree with him. He would run a tough take-it or leave-it administration and he would expect the legislature to be nothing more than a well rewarded rubber stamp because he is a man who brooks no opposition and is ready to pay for what he wants,” says Obi Iyke, a political analyst.

According to him, “a lot of people feel that Peterside would never be as domineering, as dictatorial and as threatening as Wike. He is more easy going and less temperamental than Wike. He can gloss over an insult when he needs to but Wike will probably lash out at the least provocation.

“The survey shows that people feel more at home with Peterside because they can heckle at him and they can laugh with him. There is nothing forbidden about his person. Investigations show that his gates are open to people all day. He is a bit like the guy next door. Wike, on the other hand is a more formidable proposition; shrewd and war-like as clearly demonstrated by his army-booted take-over of the coveted Adokiye Amiesimaka stadium. People complained that Wike has consistently failed to shake-off that aggressive war-like image and the hint of malevolence; that his image remains a problem and his attitude says, he does not give a hoot and that he will take Rivers in the same way he took Adokiye Amiesimaka whether any one likes it or not,” he added.

He went further to state: “The APC is the ruling party in Rivers State. This means that in every local government area there is a caretaker council chairman to direct and fund the efforts of the 0APC stalwarts in every ward. This is part of the governor’s power of incumbency which has been placed at Dakuku’s disposal. As the Peterside bandwagon sweeps through the local government areass, becoming a huge avalanche of Rivers people intent on a landslide victory, it remains to be seen whether the Wike camp can find an answer.”

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/briggs-peterside-leads-wike-in-rivers-guber-poll/200752/

3 Likes

Re: Briggs: Peterside Leads Wike In Rivers Guber Poll by pendy79: 3:43pm On Feb 02, 2015
A response from a commentator from the link----

Every Rivers Man , Rivers Resident and Rivers Ally needs to read This. Thank You for your analysis. Additionally, You need to Add that for 16 years Ikwerre Has ruled Rivers State . Now It is the Turn of Riverine People Wike wants to Snatch Power By all means from Riverine People. Wike Selected Militants as House of Assembly Candidates in the Riverine Communities so that he can Intimidate the riverine People . Wike has failed. He cannot see Brick House. Ikweere is only 20% of Rivers State and Wike wants to use his Inordinate ambition to Chage the rulership Progress of Rivers State, one tribe for 16 years. Rivers People and unity is Bigger than Wike. Wike Put Fuel in the Problem Between Amaechi and Mr President / Wife so that he will be seen as the fighter . We Know so Wike cannot deceive Rivers People. Look at the Manifesto of the Gentle, Intelligent, Visionary , Educated , Experienced and Exposed Dr. Dakuku Peterside. You will Know that he Has great Plans for Rivers People. People of Rivers State shine you eye o else Prepare to Pack your load and leave Rivers State if Wike becomes Governor. God forbid. Dakuku Take us to the road map of Prosperity in Rivers State. A Vote for Dakuku is a Vote for Prosperity in Rivers State. It is not Wike that will make Rivers People vote for Goodluck. Goodluck does not need Wike to win Rivers State in Presidential Election. Wike is one of those that caused the biggest problem for Goodluck. Wike the Cameleon

5 Likes

Re: Briggs: Peterside Leads Wike In Rivers Guber Poll by Johnnyessence(m): 3:46pm On Feb 02, 2015
waooo this is great peterside is leading on every side .no doubt peterside is winning. d incoming governor peterside will do well as rotimi ameachi.

4 Likes

Re: Briggs: Peterside Leads Wike In Rivers Guber Poll by Nobody: 3:49pm On Feb 02, 2015
That was how fayemi was leading fayose online and later fayose defeated him in all the wards in the state.

3 Likes

Re: Briggs: Peterside Leads Wike In Rivers Guber Poll by macdelene(m): 3:53pm On Feb 02, 2015
i really pray peterside wins

3 Likes

Re: Briggs: Peterside Leads Wike In Rivers Guber Poll by orinocopulse: 3:58pm On Feb 02, 2015
I can't fault this article. What I still find hard to understand is how the powers that be made WIKE win the governorship primaries over ODEIN AJUMOGOBIA (A perfect gentleman, technocrat and all-round smart, nice guy!) how?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Briggs: Peterside Leads Wike In Rivers Guber Poll by sefe73(m): 3:59pm On Feb 02, 2015
Why is it dat apc suporters delight in deceipt? Same way apc won guba pols in Anambra nd Ekiti b4 D election.
Re: Briggs: Peterside Leads Wike In Rivers Guber Poll by freemandela4(m): 4:29pm On Feb 02, 2015
Ok,
Wike? No, unless u want to cripple the education system of rivers.

3 Likes

Re: Briggs: Peterside Leads Wike In Rivers Guber Poll by Tranquill: 5:33pm On Feb 02, 2015
orinocopulse:
I can't fault this article. What is still find hard to understand is how the powers that be made WIKE win the governorship primaries over ODEIN AJUMOGOBIA (A perfect gentleman, technocrat and all-round smart, nice guy!) how?

Ajumogobia would have been better but then can he lead the fight? A lot of people dont like the idea of Wike but imagine the position PDP would have been in the state if Wike was a 'gentle and quiet' technocrat apart from the fact that there is a language Amaechi understands which is gragra and intimidation and Wike seem the one at the moment ready and able to get into the gutter with him.

The upland (Ndoni 8 years, Ikwerre 8 years) have ruled the state for 16 years now but my understanding is that Jonathan needed a strong personality from Ikwerre/upland that will rally support for him and make it difficult for Amaechi to turn the politics into upland versus riverine fight and then creating a greater possibility ofJonathan loosing the state which will be very disastrous. The riverine Ijaw will always support him as per Ijaw but Amaechi can easily turn the other non Ijaw tribes to the opposition so they need some incentives and I think thats part of the reason for recent ministerial appointment for Keneth Kobani, an Ogoni man from a promient family to also neutralise the influence of Magnus Abe in that axis.

1 Like

Re: Briggs: Peterside Leads Wike In Rivers Guber Poll by stebell(m): 6:18pm On Feb 02, 2015
Rubbish.
OP, APC has been winning all kins od polls, be it opinion poll, online polls but wen the chips are down, the ruling party wins the big one.

Vote GEJ for greater transformation.
Re: Briggs: Peterside Leads Wike In Rivers Guber Poll by orinocopulse: 6:18pm On Feb 02, 2015
Tranquill:

Ajumogobia would have been better but then can he lead the fight? A lot of people dont like the idea of Wike but imagine the position PDP would have been in the state if Wike was a 'gentle and quiet' technocrat apart from the fact that there is a language Amaechi understands which is gragra and intimidation and Wike seem the one at the moment ready and able to get into the gutter with him.

The upland (Ndoni 8 years, Ikwerre 8 years) have ruled the state for 16 years now but my understanding is that Jonathan needed a strong personality from Ikwerre/upland that will rally support for him and make it difficult for Amaechi to turn the politics into upland versus riverine fight and then creating a greater possibility ofJonathan loosing the state which will be very disastrous. The riverine Ijaw will always support him as per Ijaw but Amaechi can easily turn the other non Ijaw tribes to the opposition so they need some incentives and I think thats part of the reason for recent ministerial appointment for Keneth Kobani, an Ogoni man from a promient family to also neutralise the influence of Magnus Abe in that axis.

Well, I can't fault your analysis. It appears you know much more about Rivers politics than me. smiley

Politics wise (maybe even rough politics), Wike trounces Ajumogobia. But for the greater good of Rivers, for putting competent people with integrity, I'm sure you admit Ajumogobia is better. And I think that should have been more important to the PDP. I'm non-partisan. I just look out for where the good and competent folks are. Right now, I would rathe have Dakuku and the OP's article more than does justice on why. If PDP chose Ajumogobia I would have voted for him. I know his antecedents.

Oh well, may Rivers folks choose wisely and I hope it's a peaceful election as Rivers may be proving to be a flash point. Cheers
Re: Briggs: Peterside Leads Wike In Rivers Guber Poll by Tranquill: 6:40pm On Feb 02, 2015
orinocopulse:

Well, I can't fault your analysis. It appears you know much more about Rivers politics than me. smiley

Politics wise (maybe even rough politics), Wike trounces Ajumogobia. But for the greater good of Rivers, for putting competent people with integrity, I'm sure you admit Ajumogobia is better. And I think that should have been more important to the PDP. I'm non-partisan. I just look out for where the good and competent folks are. Right now, I would rathe have Dakuku and the OP's article more than does justice on why. If PDP chose Ajumogobia I would have voted for him. I know his antecedents.

Oh well, may Rivers folks choose wisely and I hope it's a peaceful election as Rivers may be proving to be a flash point. Cheers

Well parties consider so many factors in chosing a candidate but most importantly is a candidate that can deliver or win for them. APC would not pick Buhari for president if its based on competence and integrity alone but because many northerners will vote for him simply because he is from the north.

Like I said Ajumogobia is a likeable personality and also intelligent but personally I like seeing ones performance before judging. The reason is that Peter Odili, is arguably the most brilliant and intelligent governor that state has produced so far but he is also the worst in terms of performance. It was even Odili that brought Ajumogobia to prominence when he brought him from Lagos to be his Attorney General and later moved him to Abuja as minister.
Re: Briggs: Peterside Leads Wike In Rivers Guber Poll by pendy79: 10:29pm On Feb 02, 2015
orinocopulse:
I can't fault this article. What I still find hard to understand is how the powers that be made WIKE win the governorship primaries over ODEIN AJUMOGOBIA (A perfect gentleman, technocrat and all-round smart, nice guy!) how?

Don't look to far or confused, the calibre of people in PDP can be seen in ayo fayose, nyesom wike, iyiola omisore, musiliu obanikoro, the Uba brothers, those are the celebrated people in the party and they believe in siege mentality and raw show of power to get their way.

No gentle man in the PDP. Na party of monkey dey work, baboon dey chop words of their chairman. .

2 Likes

Re: Briggs: Peterside Leads Wike In Rivers Guber Poll by Nobody: 10:36pm On Feb 02, 2015
pendy79:

Don't look to far or confused, the calibre of people in PDP can be seen in ayo fayose, nyesom wike, iyiola omisore, musiliu obanikoro, the Uba brothers, those are the celebrated people in the party and they believe in siege mentality and raw show of power to get their way.

No gentle man in the PDP. Na party of monkey dey work, baboon dey chop words of their chairman. .
which ethnic group is Dakuku Peterside?
Re: Briggs: Peterside Leads Wike In Rivers Guber Poll by pendy79: 10:41pm On Feb 02, 2015
berem:
which ethnic group is Dakuku Peterside?

He is ijaw from opobo
Re: Briggs: Peterside Leads Wike In Rivers Guber Poll by Nobody: 10:49pm On Feb 02, 2015
pendy79:

He is ijaw from opobo
he is going to win then,that is certain. My fear is that he might defect to PDP.
Re: Briggs: Peterside Leads Wike In Rivers Guber Poll by pendy79: 10:51pm On Feb 02, 2015
berem:
he is going to win then,that is certain. My fear is that he might defect to PDP.

Berem, dakuku will not poo if Amaechi says he shouldn't.

Amaechi groomed and projected him, it's like Tinubu and Fashola.

1 Like

Re: Briggs: Peterside Leads Wike In Rivers Guber Poll by Nobody: 11:00pm On Feb 02, 2015
pendy79:

Berem, dakuku will not poo if Amaechi says he shouldn't.

Amaechi groomed and projected him, it's like Tinubu and Fashola.
interesting! I wish the best. Rivers State must retain APC
Re: Briggs: Peterside Leads Wike In Rivers Guber Poll by pendy79: 11:07pm On Feb 02, 2015
berem:

In their own best interest, patience JonaTAN has design already for the treasury of rivers state if wike wins.

The reason why she is doing all she is doing is the reality dawning on her that she and her husband are heading home by May 29th hence she is trying to ensure they have their stooge in both rivers and Bayelsa state government houses as feeding pipe for her expenses.

Reason why she wants seriake Dickson out in Bayelsa too.

1 Like

Re: Briggs: Peterside Leads Wike In Rivers Guber Poll by Tranquill: 11:08pm On Feb 02, 2015
berem:

Hehehe keep dreaming you've always lived in Alice's neighbourhood..........wonderland.
Re: Briggs: Peterside Leads Wike In Rivers Guber Poll by Change2015(m): 12:06am On Feb 03, 2015
orinocopulse:

When you see dame patience, you may ask her.

#change
#GMB
#APC
Re: Briggs: Peterside Leads Wike In Rivers Guber Poll by Nobody: 12:30am On Feb 03, 2015
stebell:
Rubbish.
OP, APC has been winning all kins od polls, be it opinion poll, online polls but wen the chips are down, the ruling party wins the big one.

Vote GEJ for greater transformation.
e pain you?

(1) (Reply)

First Day At Work, Ambode Goes After Fashola's Loyalists. / Northernization Of Nigeria / Compelling Reasons Why Nnamdi Kanu’s Biafra Project Must Be Stopped Now

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.