Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,697 members, 7,816,849 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:45 PM

I’ll Ban Importation Of Rice, Tomato If Elected –Buhari - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I’ll Ban Importation Of Rice, Tomato If Elected –Buhari (26098 Views)

Buhari Bans Importation Of Vehicles Through Land Borders,Nigerians React(Pics) / I'll Build Four Refineries If Elected: Buhari. In Dream / Prof. Osinbajo Pledges To God Not To Steal Public Funds If Elected (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I’ll Ban Importation Of Rice, Tomato If Elected –Buhari by milvet(f): 10:36am On Feb 03, 2015
Omo dis man go ban everi everi put women join¤ women no go dey waka for road again¤ i fear o
Re: I’ll Ban Importation Of Rice, Tomato If Elected –Buhari by sanmibukunmi: 10:40am On Feb 03, 2015
BraniacX:

See your mouth like automatically stimulate
What brand of car do you drive?
Is it made or assembled in Nigeria?
Or you want to pretend you don't know that cars are being made and assembled here in Nigeria?
You refused to factor consumers choice and taste especially for that brand with the tag "imported" abi?
Neither did you factor the rise in smuggling to meet up with that demand
Did it ever occur to you that before you ban anything, you must be able to mass produce it and make that product attractive enough as a substitute to the consumers?
No, you'll rather have military decree style arbitrary bans undecided
Abeg if buhari wins, I dey go join customs jare! grin
You can ensure that the product is first produce before importing it if what u wana put a ban on is not something well known to be produce in your country...nigeria is not a known manufacturer of cars so there is need to ensure all factors are on ground and are able to meet the demand here...but for tha case of food products like rice tomato etc 70 percent of rural dwellers know a lot of how to cultivate these. Even in urban areas, 1 in every 3 compound has a tomato garden at his backyard. That means these products are very well known and there is not much to be done in ensuring its demand is meet. What the govt needs to do is just to provide or create avenues for processing them ..simple. You can't compare car manufacutring to rice and tomato cultivation.
Re: I’ll Ban Importation Of Rice, Tomato If Elected –Buhari by kelvinginzie: 10:48am On Feb 03, 2015
Please all nairalanders,let us unite and vote for Buhari

1 Like

Re: I’ll Ban Importation Of Rice, Tomato If Elected –Buhari by kelvinginzie: 10:48am On Feb 03, 2015
Please all nairalanders,let us unite and vote for buhari
Re: I’ll Ban Importation Of Rice, Tomato If Elected –Buhari by nellyjohn: 10:50am On Feb 03, 2015
ajoskele:
GEJs' will take effect 2015? Since 2010 wey e don dey dia?

Such cluelessness. So directionless. I no kno why Hon. Patrick no add dis one for dat popular speech.."clueless cluelessness"!!

Your moniker be like "Ilelanwo, ka to s'omo l'oruko"!
He said it wil take effect from 2015 to give our local farmers opportunity to produce enough for the country and dats why he had established so many farmers.
If GEJ is clueless, the what are u and GMB are? Afo nsi.
GEJ till 2019

1 Like

Re: I’ll Ban Importation Of Rice, Tomato If Elected –Buhari by nwadiuko1(m): 10:51am On Feb 03, 2015
Una sure say this buhari guy no go ban orijin and nairabet?
Re: I’ll Ban Importation Of Rice, Tomato If Elected –Buhari by omonnakoda: 10:54am On Feb 03, 2015
God has not succeeded in banning man from lying or being deceitful. Even if you ban it do we have the capacity to enforce the ban and how much will that cost. Banning in today's world is not a realistic approach. By the way I did not know we imported tomatoes.It is disappointing this man is still speaking the language of BANS. Hopefully if he wins more knowledgeable minds will prevail
Re: I’ll Ban Importation Of Rice, Tomato If Elected –Buhari by olas24u(f): 10:56am On Feb 03, 2015
chidexy:

For your information, every other country in this world apart from China, Norway and Sweden probably imports toothpick. But then, Buhari and APC doesn't know or understand what Nigeria needs to do to advance economically

grin Tooth pick is made from wood and the new ones come in plastics,what is so difficult in toothpick.Are you saying Okonjo iweala is the best Nigerian economist .If she was a super star she should have changed the Nigerian story by now.Just watch the finance economic team of the APC government ,they will perform better than the woman.Lagos is an example of an APC government ,they increased revenues and plunged it back into infrastructure how much more access to more resources with good thinkers .She promised palliatives after the fuel subsidy did you see any ?she will be speaking big big English to confuse the people. Palliatives grin poverty development party.
Re: I’ll Ban Importation Of Rice, Tomato If Elected –Buhari by rhymz(m): 10:59am On Feb 03, 2015
Can people stop this nonsense misinformation about Nigeria importing Tomatoes, that is a lie. Nigeria does not import tomatoes, anyone with facts to disprove me should please lay it and stop running off with ignorant statements from an ignoramus like Buhari who does not have a clue about anything Nigerian.

1 Like

Re: I’ll Ban Importation Of Rice, Tomato If Elected –Buhari by rhymz(m): 11:02am On Feb 03, 2015
olas24u:

grin Tooth pick is made from wood and the new ones come in plastics,what is so difficult in toothpick.Are you saying Okonjo iweala is the best Nigerian economist .If she was a super star she should have changed the Nigerian story by now.Just watch the finance economic team of the APC government ,they will perform better than the woman.Lagos is an example of an APC government ,they increased revenues and plunged it back into infrastructure how much more access to more resources with good thinkers .She promised palliatives after the fuel subsidy did you see any ?she will be speaking big big English to confuse the people. Palliatives grin poverty development party.
What is holding you from going into toothpick production and taking advantage of the fact that it is still being imported, do you want government to set up toothpick industries for your lazy bottom..... Some of you and una siddon for MS Biggs way of argument are just down right stewpid.

1 Like

Re: I’ll Ban Importation Of Rice, Tomato If Elected –Buhari by BraniacX(m): 11:02am On Feb 03, 2015
ajoskele:
Wow..you made sense. Really.
So this epistle you wrote has clue. A lot of it. The Presidency is eating Nigerian rice? I laugh. With over 1billion?

You are clueless sir. Just like your paymaster.

Call me whatever you like
But you acknowledged the Nigerian Rice part and that's enough for me
Re: I’ll Ban Importation Of Rice, Tomato If Elected –Buhari by BraniacX(m): 11:07am On Feb 03, 2015
olas24u:

That was price controls and it was a military government.You can actually control prices without you queuing anymore,every military government had civilian economic teams .

Maybe you should join his economic team, you seem to have more economic sense in your little finger than the rest of his economic team combined!!!

However, price control or not, it did start with an "I will ban this! I will ban that!!" followed by an actual banning and the rest as they say, is history!!!
Are you looking forward to a de javu?
Re: I’ll Ban Importation Of Rice, Tomato If Elected –Buhari by olas24u(f): 11:08am On Feb 03, 2015
rhymz:
What is holding you from going into toothpick production and taking advantage of the fact that it is still being imported, do you want government to set up toothpick industries for your lazy bottom..... Some of you and una siddon for MS Biggs way of argument are just down right stewpid.

The cost of producing toothpick in china and the cost of producing toothpick in Nigeria ,which will be cheaper with all available infrastructure that brings down prices. Electricity is important and the government as just refused to provide it.Nigerians are hard working people ,just provide that electricity and you will see creativity .Did you not hear when GMB mentioned about jobless young men running after the buses from the airport to the final destination.That is so much energy being put to waste because they dont have anything doing.
Re: I’ll Ban Importation Of Rice, Tomato If Elected –Buhari by omonnakoda: 11:09am On Feb 03, 2015
I would like to think he is talking about TINNED tomatoes which we do import
Re: I’ll Ban Importation Of Rice, Tomato If Elected –Buhari by BraniacX(m): 11:10am On Feb 03, 2015
deejayterabyte:

Mr Ode, This is 2015 not 1984

angry angry angry angry angry

EXACTLY grin
Mr wiseman
Only.....
Though it is 2015......
this is still Buhari angry
Re: I’ll Ban Importation Of Rice, Tomato If Elected –Buhari by asadike(f): 11:11am On Feb 03, 2015
BraniacX:

Oh! So you can pray?
Keep praying undecided
Rather than vote for a GEJ who is also planning alongside with your prayers
Abi you think say na by prayer alone
Vote for buhari and watch your prayers go to waste!!!
better know whom am for before vomiting trash.
Re: I’ll Ban Importation Of Rice, Tomato If Elected –Buhari by great664(m): 11:13am On Feb 03, 2015
ajoskele:
GEJs' will take effect 2015? Since 2010 wey e don dey dia?

Such cluelessness. So directionless. I no kno why Hon. Patrick no add dis one for dat popular speech.."clueless cluelessness"!!

Your moniker be like "Ilelanwo, ka to s'omo l'oruko"!
u see how foolish and low thinking you are, ur tiny fish brain! Will GEJ ban it since 2010 when there's no provision for alternative or wetin u for dey eat. Now that the farmers received funding through e-wallet and Rice farming is a boom, then he can ban without it affecting the Nation...Foools dem nor go think first before commenting bcuz they are blind with hate and born to rule mentality, Anuofia
Re: I’ll Ban Importation Of Rice, Tomato If Elected –Buhari by BraniacX(m): 11:14am On Feb 03, 2015
olas24u:

The most important component is electricity and they were not able to fix it.Nigeria as produced before so we can do it again.again. Ikeja industrial estate ,estate,ilupeju industrial estate have partly be turned to churches instead of where to produce goods and services due to high cost of producing.

And now that elecricity production and distribution has been devolved from the FG, what is your state government doing about that? Oh, oh wait!! Of course grin they are still busy accusing the FG for their own failure to provide electricity aren't they?
And yet they call others clueless
Re: I’ll Ban Importation Of Rice, Tomato If Elected –Buhari by olas24u(f): 11:15am On Feb 03, 2015
BraniacX:

Maybe you should join his economic team, you seem to have more economic sense in your little finger than the rest of his economic team combined!!!

However, price control or not, it did start with an "I will ban this! I will ban that!!" followed by an actual banning and the rest as they say, is history!!!
Are you looking forward to a de javu?

You banned and look inwards and become efficient and not killing local markets.for instance you buy Southafrican chicken in a southafrican shops in Nigeria.does that make sense.what will happen to the farmers.You wear imported shoes !Thats a huge market of 170million people that have to wear shoes ,if you close the borders people will wear what is produced in Nigeria and you will make the shoe manufacturer richer to buy more machines and expand and create more jobs.when you buy italian shoes you take the money back to the manufacturer in italy Not the Nigeria
Re: I’ll Ban Importation Of Rice, Tomato If Elected –Buhari by BraniacX(m): 11:17am On Feb 03, 2015
asadike:
better know whom am for before vomiting trash.
And why should I want to know you?
Any price attached to knowing you
Hmmm, so I'm saying trash uhn?
Well, you're entitled to your opinions in democracy version GEJ 1.5 grin
Re: I’ll Ban Importation Of Rice, Tomato If Elected –Buhari by olas24u(f): 11:20am On Feb 03, 2015
BraniacX:

And now that elecricity production and distribution has been devolved from the FG, what is your state government doing about that? Oh, oh wait!! Of course grin they are still busy accusing the FG for their own failure to provide electricity aren't they?
And yet they call others clueless

Southwest region will need up 40,000 megawatts of electricity if you dont know ,but Gej is celebrating 4,000 megawatts for the whole of Nigeria.Lagos needs 10,000 megatts and they get only 900 megatwatts from the federal .Lagos powers all the key sectors in Lagos that improve the social and economic conditions of the people.The government hospitals have arrangements to provide them with stable lights because of human life.You dont need the lights out during surgery as PDP as killed many people over the years.
Re: I’ll Ban Importation Of Rice, Tomato If Elected –Buhari by asadike(f): 11:20am On Feb 03, 2015
BraniacX:

And why should I want to know you?
Any price attached to knowing you
Hmmm, so I'm saying trash uhn?
Well, you're entitled to your opinions in democracy version GEJ 1.5 grin
ignored
Re: I’ll Ban Importation Of Rice, Tomato If Elected –Buhari by ajoskele(m): 11:23am On Feb 03, 2015
great664:
u see how foolish and low thinking you are, ur tiny fish brain! Will GEJ ban it since 2010 when there's no provision for alternative or wetin u for dey eat. Now that the farmers received funding through e-wallet and Rice farming is a boom, then he can ban without it affecting the Nation...Foools dem nor go think first before commenting bcuz they are blind with hate and born to rule mentality, Anuofia
Bros, cool down ehn.
If your paymaster eventually wins the election, you MUST show the world the Nigerian-branded rice. Or else, thunder go faya u dia!!
Re: I’ll Ban Importation Of Rice, Tomato If Elected –Buhari by BraniacX(m): 11:25am On Feb 03, 2015
olas24u:

Southwest region will need up 40,000 megatwatts of electricity if you dont know ,but Gej is celebrating 4,000 megatwatts for the whole of Nigeria.Lagos needs 10,000 megatts and they get only 900 megatwatts from the federal .Lagos powers all the key sectors in Lagos that improve the social and economic conditions of the people.The government hospitals have arrangements to provide them with stable lights because of human life.You dont need the lights out during surgery as PDP as killed many people over the years

Don't you understand what I'm saying?
The FG has washed their hands of production and distribution, all they now do is regulation of prices.
The state governments that have been shouting about how clueless jonathan has been should go and produce it for themselves, let Lagos for example, go and produce her 10,000 megawatts herself and see how easy it is to produce. And supply power!!
Chikena!!
Re: I’ll Ban Importation Of Rice, Tomato If Elected –Buhari by rhymz(m): 11:26am On Feb 03, 2015
olas24u:

The cost of producing toothpick in china and the cost of producing toothpick in Nigeria ,which will be cheaper with all available infrastructure that brings down prices. Electricity is important and the government as just refused to provide it.Nigerians are hard working people ,just provide that electricity and you will see creativity .Did you not hear when GMB mentioned about jobless young men running after the buses from the airport to the final destination.That is so much energy being put to waste because they dont have anything doing.
before I begin, I would like to know how old you are, I think it is very important. You seem to think everything must start and begin with government. We have production factories that require huge energy already existing in the country even with the limitations of energy production yet your only reason for not going into toothpick production is because GEJ has not given you power to go into it...... Kid you sound like somebody groping in the dark and looking for excuses. There are some products that we just do not have comparative advantage on, you don't sound to me like you are smart, except for the fact that you just want to look for excuse to talk down on the effort of the FG.

If you know anything about economics, you will understand that the reason why there is no serious effort towards that direction fry on Nigerians is because, it is cheaper way cheaper to import it than to produce it, it does not matter even if we can, the comparative cost of production in Nigeria even if we had all the structures in place will still favor China and other countries with comparative advantage on that production. It is not always about government. Even if you can produce toothpick at N10, it will make no economic sense to continue if somebody else can go to China and import it and is able to sell it for N4.

Besides, there are locally made toothpick, it does not require electricity to produce, most of what you use in restaurants are locally made toothpicks, their production won't stop importation either. It just make sense that government maintains a free market policy in this regard as Nigeria also needs to export other products to other countries and can't be banning every damn thing. You should know how stuff works before rushing out to make trite and ignorant statements of comfort.
Re: I’ll Ban Importation Of Rice, Tomato If Elected –Buhari by JayJustus(m): 11:27am On Feb 03, 2015
what is this fundamental terrorist saying when one Israeli company came to the north to open the largest tin tomatoes factory in Africa what did his people say?? didn't they do everything possible to stop it cos of the Gaza thingy?? please!!! save all these excuses for my behind...

THE DEVIL I KNOW (GEJ) IS BETTER THAN THE ANGEL (BUHARI) I DON'T KNOW...

change change they are screaming your ynansh will open when Nigeria will no longer have freedom of speech, when dictatorship will return...abeg...
Re: I’ll Ban Importation Of Rice, Tomato If Elected –Buhari by ajoskele(m): 11:29am On Feb 03, 2015
nellyjohn:

He said it wil take effect from 2015 to give our local farmers opportunity to produce enough for the country and dats why he had established so many farmers.
If GEJ is clueless, the what are u and GMB are? Afo nsi.
GEJ till 2019
Someone said GEJ is eating Nigerian rice. I still dey laugh oh.
Re: I’ll Ban Importation Of Rice, Tomato If Elected –Buhari by davitogreat(m): 11:31am On Feb 03, 2015
olas24u:

You banned and look inwards and become efficient and not killing local markets.for instance you buy Southafrican chicken in a southafrican shops in Nigeria.does that make sense.what will happen to the farmers.You wear imported shoes !Thats a huge market of 170million people that have to wear shoes ,if you close the borders people will wear what is produced in Nigeria and you will make the shoe manufacturer richer to buy more machines and expand and create more jobs.when you buy italian shoes you take the money back to the manufacturer in italy Not the Nigeria

Wish it worked that way but it does not. All that will happen is the price of shoes, chicken and all banned products without sufficient domestic production in Nigeria will rise (supply and demand) and the average Nigerian will be unable to afford it. Also at the same time if you think the manufacturers will be able to bridge the demand gap that will arise due to ban of importation in a matter of months you will be disappointed.
It will take years to bridge the gap.
On top of that this will also create an incentive and lead to an increase in smuggling of banned goods across the borders, which will always be sold at discounted prices compared to the market. (A great negative to the economy)
Re: I’ll Ban Importation Of Rice, Tomato If Elected –Buhari by olas24u(f): 11:31am On Feb 03, 2015
BraniacX:

Don't you understand what I'm saying?
The FG has washed their hands of production and distribution, all they now do is regulation of prices.
The state governments that have been shouting about how clueless jonathan has been should go and produce it for themselves, let Lagos for example, go and produce her 10,000 megawatts herself and see how easy it is to produce. And supply power!!
Chikena!!

Lagos is already doing is best because the size of the economy is growing and they dont need to wait for clueless people to see 50 years from today.Lagos is on track .it will become a mega city.If APC comes into power you will see transformation and quality people in government,thinkers and idea creators .I taught a Phd person will put thinkers to use ,but even the worst military regime is far better than what we have at the moment.The poverty is just too much.
Re: I’ll Ban Importation Of Rice, Tomato If Elected –Buhari by BraniacX(m): 11:31am On Feb 03, 2015
olas24u:

Have you heard about agricultural subsidies in the west?
Do you think that apart from garri, yam and beans, there is any other staple food that we can produce that will be cheaper than the imported ones?
Even the chicken is produced far more cheaply in south africa compared to us thanks to agRicultural subsidies
Do you think that our government can afford to subsidise agriculture like the west?
Being idealistic is one thing, being realistic is another
Study up dear, it will help put things in perspective for you.
Re: I’ll Ban Importation Of Rice, Tomato If Elected –Buhari by olas24u(f): 11:34am On Feb 03, 2015
davitogreat:

Wish it worked that way but it does not. All that will happen is the price of shoes, chicken and all banned products without sufficient domestic production in Nigeria will rise (supply and demand) and the average Nigerian will be unable to afford it. Also at the same time if you think the manufacturers will be able to bridge the demand gap that will arise due to ban of importation in a matter of months you will be disappointed.
It will take years to bridge the gap.
On top of that this will also create an incentive and lead to an increase in smuggling of banned goods across the borders, which will always be sold at discounted prices compared to the market. (A great negative to the economy)

I get your point ,you make sense ,but you cannot build a country this way,you need to produce
Re: I’ll Ban Importation Of Rice, Tomato If Elected –Buhari by omonnakoda: 11:37am On Feb 03, 2015
olas24u:

It does not work that way in practice. It costs money to enforce a ban and those determiined to circumvent the ban will spend money to do so. Those two forces will come to some equilibrium point which will not be where the government wants it. Government has limited money to spend on customs ,police or even prison . Turkey,chicken and fish (frozen) are banned but that is what everyone eats. Rice was actually banned when Buhari was in power as was cocaine and heroin. Cocaine and heroin were sold OPENLY at Oju Ina during Buhari's government.They were sold openly at Onikan stadium during games of stationery stores and at the National Stadium. That was a Military regime so we can safely assume that such a ban will MEAN nothing more than banning sex now in a civilian regime. By the way at that time police had not started collecting money openly as they do now.
Banning does not make you more efficient it did not work in the past and it won't wok now. Why don't we ban garri? Simple it is not efficient to import it. Rather than focus on banning we should focus on improving productivity
One thing Buhari neglects is that when you ban other too can retaliate and ban your products too. This is the 21st century. We happen to be a member of the World Trade Organization. Yes other members manipulate the rules and so can we but we should do so smartly and after weighing consequences not acting impulsively. Also in international trade we should learn to talk less about such plans andfocus on our areas of strength. If indeed tomato and rice are strength areas we wil become more efficient and there will be no need to ban. At any rate our problem in Nigeria today is not tomatoes it is more serious than that
I believe Nigeria can make all the shoes we need but the way to go about that is not to ban shoe importation.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

How FG Plotted Senate Invasion/mace Snatching By Thugs - Wike / Borno Sets Condition For Boko Haram Negotiation With FG - Vanguard / Governor Ikpeazu Receives Obasanjo In Abia As He Arrives For A Burial Ceremony

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.