Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,384 members, 7,812,134 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:46 AM

Is It A Good Idea To Employ My Sister In-law As My Personal Lawyer? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It A Good Idea To Employ My Sister In-law As My Personal Lawyer? (1250 Views)

A Lady's Shocking Prayers For Her Ex Sister-In-Law Who Just Got Married / Is It A Good Idea To Change Simcard After Wedding? / My Husband Impregnated His 'sister' In Our Matrimonial Home: Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It A Good Idea To Employ My Sister In-law As My Personal Lawyer? by geelord(m): 7:23am On Feb 03, 2015
Been thinking....
Should my sister in-law be my lawyer........
Would I be comfortable to allow her access to some personal information?
If I should get another lawyer, would she think I'm not being fair to have engaged another person in what I know she does well?

I need some good suggestions please.
Re: Is It A Good Idea To Employ My Sister In-law As My Personal Lawyer? by RotrEmmanuel: 7:26am On Feb 03, 2015
Her kind of person will draw a conclusion to your question. If she truly wants the job, I think there are terms and conditions that govern every working place.

She is your sister in-law no doubt, But never joke while in business.

Get her the job for the first time and watch her attitude
Re: Is It A Good Idea To Employ My Sister In-law As My Personal Lawyer? by kristonium(m): 7:27am On Feb 03, 2015
Never mingle business with family ties!
More disadvantages than advantages!
Be firm!
Look elsewhere!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It A Good Idea To Employ My Sister In-law As My Personal Lawyer? by greatmarshall(m): 7:33am On Feb 03, 2015
Why not? But it has to be to an extent... Atleast you can involve her in somethings but definitely not on serious personal issues... By doing so, she won't feel sidelined...
Re: Is It A Good Idea To Employ My Sister In-law As My Personal Lawyer? by Nobody: 7:58am On Feb 03, 2015
Yea, u can..buh u av 2 keep her away from ur most personal issue. Even in the case of Will, she has to be sideline as a third party, u and ur wife being the 'principal' party.
Re: Is It A Good Idea To Employ My Sister In-law As My Personal Lawyer? by 2015chick: 8:37am On Feb 03, 2015
pls dont start what u cant stop

3 Likes

Re: Is It A Good Idea To Employ My Sister In-law As My Personal Lawyer? by tuns10: 9:51am On Feb 03, 2015
i dont think its a good idea. Cus you cannot be too sure that your private infos are safe with her. remember blood is thicker than water.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It A Good Idea To Employ My Sister In-law As My Personal Lawyer? by mutter(f): 10:07am On Feb 03, 2015
Certainly not.

She should not even accept such a job because there could be conflicting interest.
She can never give you professional advice in a situation that it might be to the disadvantage of her sister.
You also do not have any privacy again.
She also has the power to manipulate you documents in such a way that there are to your disadvantage.

The key word is that she has a VESTED INTEREST in your issues because of her sister and cannot be neutral.

She has to understand and respect that. You can brief her for specific cases or matters but certainly not as your personal lawyer.

2 Likes

Re: Is It A Good Idea To Employ My Sister In-law As My Personal Lawyer? by kilimanjaro(m): 10:30am On Feb 03, 2015
Not good enough
Re: Is It A Good Idea To Employ My Sister In-law As My Personal Lawyer? by Nobody: 10:38am On Feb 03, 2015
No. Conflict of interest
Re: Is It A Good Idea To Employ My Sister In-law As My Personal Lawyer? by breathless(m): 4:56pm On Feb 03, 2015
OP. The answer(s) are in the questions you raised.
Re: Is It A Good Idea To Employ My Sister In-law As My Personal Lawyer? by i1: 6:39pm On Feb 03, 2015
to be candid, your lawyer should be someone you are very comfortable with and you can trust. ask yourself this.. if you are to write a will a declare assets to some other person apart from the wife will she tell her sister? or if or when you die will she be able to protect your interests and not your sister?
Re: Is It A Good Idea To Employ My Sister In-law As My Personal Lawyer? by greatgod2012(f): 8:07pm On Feb 03, 2015
kristonium:
Never mingle business with family ties!
More disadvantages than advantages!
Be firm!
Look elsewhere!

i1:
to be candid, your lawyer should be someone you are very comfortable with and you can trust. ask yourself this.. if you are to write a will a declare assets to some other person apart from the wife will she tell her sister? or if or when you die will she be able to protect your interests and not your sister?

aisha2:
No. Conflict of interest

mutter:
Certainly not.
She should not even accept such a job because there could be conflicting interest.
She can never give you professional advice in a situation that it might be to the disadvantage of her sister.
You also do not have any privacy again.
She also has the power to manipulate you documents in such a way that there are to your disadvantage.
The key word is that she has a VESTED INTEREST in your issues because of her sister and cannot be neutral.
She has to understand and respect that. You can brief her for specific cases or matters but certainly not as your personal lawyer.

2015chick:
pls dont start what u cant stop

Absolutely no!
These are answers to your question.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Shocking:hospital Test Sa¥s She Is Pregnant / Dangers Of Living With Bed Bugs / Man Grow Breast After Having Sex With Friend Wife (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.