Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,520 members, 7,819,868 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:15 AM

Diary of my Dog Cooper. - Pets (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Diary of my Dog Cooper. (48944 Views)

Why I Named My Dog ‘buhari’ — Joe Chinakwe / Cooper/Eve slant puppies ready for pick up (Pics) / New Owner (Cooper and Vera Slant GSD) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by deeptesting(m): 2:51pm On Mar 25, 2015
Since we started our obedience class,Cooper needs a treat to enjoy when he passes a lesson. I got this pack of treat for him.

1 Like

Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by Whalewale(m): 4:01pm On Mar 25, 2015
deeptesting:
Since we started our obedience class,Cooper needs a treat to enjoy when he passes a lesson. I got this pack of treat for him.

Please where can i get this treat to buy... I use peanuts as treats instead though
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by deeptesting(m): 4:35pm On Mar 25, 2015
Whalewale:

Please where can i get this treat to buy... I use peanuts as treats instead though

At Agege..I will find their contact and post here. It's 2k5

4 Likes

Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by Evina(f): 8:50pm On Mar 25, 2015
Wow, I am at a loss for words. I can't wait to read about Cooper putting Vera in the family way and then the little coopers n veras.

Awww. And they lived happily ever after. *dreamyeyes. LOL.
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by deeptesting(m): 11:30pm On Mar 25, 2015
Evina:
Wow, I am at a loss for words. I can't wait to read about Cooper putting Vera in the family way and then the little coopers n veras.

Awww. And they lived happily ever after. *dreamyeyes. LOL.

lol! i really wish they can live without Cooper putting Vera in the family way.
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by benedictjohn(m): 7:48am On Mar 26, 2015
Seun:
All oils are liquid, but they usually put it in a transparent capsule. You can puncture the capsule and mix the oil inside it with the dog's food.
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by Evina(f): 8:14am On Mar 26, 2015
deeptesting:

lol! i really wish they can live without Cooper putting Vera in the family way.

What! shocked
Please you're kidding I hope. sad
You know what? Why don't you consider creating a book out of this. This diary makes a most interesting read. You can start with an ebook, then print.

You would make a successful sale and have achieved the awareness for pure breeds. smiley

1 Like

Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by deeptesting(m): 9:33am On Mar 26, 2015
Evina:

What! shocked
Please you're kidding I hope. sad
You know what? Why don't you consider creating a book out of this. This diary makes a most interesting read. You can start with an ebook, then print.

You would make a successful sale and have achieved the awareness for pure breeds. smiley

I have never thought of that but sounds good. I am serious when i said "I wish Cooper will live happily with Vera without putting her the family way". Like humans you know the responsibility that comes with pregnancy & child birth..

One thing i am enjoying at the moment is the uniqueness of Cooper & Vera. Cooper is so manly and intimidating while Vera is so feminine that you just can't help but cuddle her from Coopers bully attitude.

My daughter after watching their interaction on a particular day " Told me Cooper is a goat". lol.

2 Likes

Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by Evina(f): 9:41am On Mar 26, 2015
deeptesting:

I have never thought of that but sounds good. I am serious when i said "I wish Cooper will live happily with Vera without putting her the family way". Like humans you know the responsibility that comes with pregnancy & child birth..

One thing i am enjoying at the moment is the uniqueness of Cooper & Vera. Cooper is so manly and intimidating while Vera is so feminine that you just can't help but cuddle her from Coopers bully attitude.

My daughter after watching their interaction on a particular day " Told me Cooper is a goat". lol.

cheesy LOL at Goat.
Yes, loads of responsibilities with pregnancy, but it usually is worth it right? wink

As per you wish, if you don't castrate Cooper, (don't you dare!) it will only remain a wish. LOL.

3 Likes

Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by deeptesting(m): 9:52am On Mar 26, 2015
Evina:

cheesy LOL at Goat.
Yes, loads of responsibilities with pregnancy, but it usually is worth it right? wink

As per you wish, if you don't castrate Cooper, (don't you dare!) it will only remain a wish. LOL.

I want to avoid castrating Cooper because he could be a stud. The pics shows what he does to Vera, sometimes she will have bite him hard to let go.

Cooper needs to learn how to treat a woman right.

2 Likes

Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by Evina(f): 10:02am On Mar 26, 2015
deeptesting:

I want to avoid castrating Cooper because he could be a stud. The pics shows what he does to Vera, sometimes she will have bite him hard to let go.

Cooper needs to learn how to treat a woman right.

But he is still just a dog. I mean, isn't that asking for too much? Is it possible for him to be the perfect gentleman gentledog you expect him to be? LOL.

5 Likes

Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by stonecoldcafe: 11:31am On Mar 26, 2015
j
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by deeptesting(m): 11:46am On Mar 26, 2015
Evina:

But he is still just a dog. I mean, isn't that asking for too much? Is it possible for him to be the perfect gentleman gentledog you expect him to be? LOL.

lol.... May be i have been watching too many animal cartoon.
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by Evina(f): 11:47am On Mar 26, 2015
stonecoldcafe:

God bless you. I would buy such a book.
By the way, what am I reading about castration? I thought you got Vera for company and cos you want them to eventually mate? I need to go back and read again.

LOL. You should know deeptesting loves Cooper too much to attempt castration.
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by Evina(f): 11:48am On Mar 26, 2015
deeptesting:

lol.... May be i have been watching too many animal cartoon.

LOL. grin
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by deeptesting(m): 11:54am On Mar 26, 2015
stonecoldcafe:

God bless you. I would buy such a book.
By the way, what am I reading about castration? I thought you got Vera for company and cos you want them to eventually mate? I need to go back and read again.

My Daughter requested i get Cooper a companion, she felt Cooper is always lonely when she goes to school and my wife and I have gone to work..So we got Vera to keep him company, mating was out of the game.
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by deeptesting(m): 11:56am On Mar 26, 2015
The Vet showed up this morning to give Cooper the last shot of his vaccination. His next vaccination will be Anti-rabbies.

Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by XBLadez: 12:17pm On Mar 26, 2015
deeptesting:
Deeptesting, I've heard a lot about this dog treat, but my question is: do dogs even understand the treat is given to them for their obedience? How do u make a dog know it has to earn that? Good job, bro!
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by deeptesting(m): 12:32pm On Mar 26, 2015
XBLadez:

Deeptesting, I've heard a lot about this dog treat, but my question is: do dogs even understand the treat is given to them for their obedience? How do u make a dog know it has to earn that? Good job, bro!

They understand,the idea is positive reinforcement to a particular behavior. Example, i am teaching him the "sit" command.

The moment i bring the treat, i will get it closer to his nose and he will be yearning for it, then i will gently hold his back side to make him sit and say "sit".. The moment he sits i will give him the treat, timing is very important.

I also do this with when i want to feed him or give him water, so gradually he understands that he has to sit to get something from me either food or treat.

Don't forget when i try to gently bring his back side down i associate the word "sit" with it.

We are still on it and this will take approximately 2weeks for me because i don't try to rush or force him and i keep the lesson short. I will soon face out the treat and just saying "sit" he will act accordingly.

One thing i have learnt is you can condition a dog to do anything that you want him/her to do..Dogs love their owners and wants to do anything to please them.

2 Likes

Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by deeptesting(m): 12:38pm On Mar 26, 2015
Whalewale:

This is the contact of the shop where i bought the treat:

Marvelous Ventures
283, Old Abeokuta Exp. Road,
Tabon-Tabon, Agege.
Tel: 08033433131

If you are not conversant with the area you may call them for direction.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by deeptesting(m): 2:27pm On Mar 26, 2015
Vera also got her first shot of vaccination today.

Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by stonecoldcafe: 3:06pm On Mar 26, 2015
deeptesting:

My Daughter requested i get Cooper a companion, she felt Cooper is always lonely when she goes to school and my wife and I have gone to work..So we got Vera to keep him company, mating was out of the game.
Ohh, okay.
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by XBLadez: 7:27pm On Mar 26, 2015
deeptesting:

They understand,the idea is positive reinforcement to a particular behavior. Example, i am teaching him the "sit" command.

The moment i bring the treat, i will get it closer to his nose and he will be yearning for it, then i will gently hold his back side to make him sit and say "sit".. The moment he sits i will give him the treat, timing is very important.

I also do this with when i want to feed him or give him water, so gradually he understands that he has to sit to get something from me either food or treat.

Don't forget when i try to gently bring his back side down i associate the word "sit" with it.

We are still on it and this will take approximately 2weeks for me because i don't try to rush or force him and i keep the lesson short. I will soon face out the treat and just saying "sit" he will act accordingly.

One thing i have learnt is you can condition a dog to do anything that you want him/her to do..Dogs love their owners and wants to do anything to please them.

I think ur getting the credit coz u started early enough. My neighbour's rott is about 7 - 8 months, and very silly. Once it sees u with food it goes haywire, barking and jumping on ur body, at times threatening to bite. Last Sunday, I saw it nudge and snatch a slice of bread from my neighbour's son. Guess it's too late for him now to understand
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by deeptesting(m): 7:37pm On Mar 26, 2015
XBLadez:

I think ur getting the credit coz u started early enough. My neighbour's rott is about 7 - 8 months, and very silly. Once it sees u with food it goes haywire, barking and jumping on ur body, at times threatening to bite. Last Sunday, I saw it nudge and snatch a slice of bread from my neighbour's son. Guess it's too late for him now to understand

At 7-8Months it is not too late but Dog Instructors will tell you that obedience training begins at 5weeks or 8 weeks.
The Rot can still be thought good manners or behaviors but it will take time and patience from the owners.
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by XBLadez: 7:49pm On Mar 26, 2015
deeptesting:

At 7-8Months it is not too late but Dog Instructors will tell you that obedience training begins at 5weeks or 8 weeks.
The Rot can still be thought good manners or behaviors but it will take time and patience from the owners.
The truth is that the owners are not dog breeders. The best food I've seen them give the dog is Jojo and indomie mixed with geisha. I've never seen a vet visit the dog or the owners take it out for a walk...they should visit this thread and learn. It hurts me to see that cute dog being trained like a goat but there's nothing I can do.
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by deeptesting(m): 8:06pm On Mar 26, 2015
XBLadez:

The truth is that the owners are not dog breeders. The best food I've seen them give the dog is Jojo and indomie mixed with geisha. I've never seen a vet visit the dog or the owners take it out for a walk...they should visit this thread and learn. It hurts me to see that cute dog being trained like a goat but there's nothing I can do.

I feel with the current increase in dog bites the government will soon look into it to ensure owners take responsibility for the training of their dogs and also put up punitive measures.

By the way how many dog instructors do we have in Nigeria?

Let us also hope you don't become a victim of dog attack because you are their neighbor. lol

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by braindamage(m): 9:46pm On Mar 26, 2015
deeptesting:
The Vet showed up this morning to give Cooper the last shot of his vaccination. His next vaccination will be Anti-rabbies.
...the part my dog hates. The deworming and anti-rabies visits to the vet is a nightmare. Refuses a muzzle, I need to 'tactically manoeuvre' an heavy chain around his neck to a pillar, and give a choke-hold for the vet to do her(a she) job. For a 2yr old very strong dog, I get injured most times. And the world becomes normal to him again. I was not fully involved when he was younger(like correcting a dog from 0-13months), so I might just live with this bad behaviour. Any help to correct this would be appreciated. Nice Job Man
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by braindamage(m): 10:12pm On Mar 26, 2015
XBLadez:

...had to laugh at the bolded. We have a lot of unbalanced dogs. I am a culprit of not doing the dog walk (for at least 30mins daily according to Ceasar Millan), my schedule and my laziness could be responsible. I only take solace that he is not cage bound and the compound is relatively big, the lizard and bird chasing, we even had a fight with a comodo looking creature one day grin. Maybe you could talk to them, did that for my neighbour who breed dogs. She is a banker, a business enthusiast, buys these dogs expensive and treats them poorly, the busy banking schedule did more damage. She changed for a while, but returned to status duo. She had to quit breeding(she runs a small canteen in her office, has a fish pond, she was doing a lot, was taking its toll on her health). Maybe their schedule turned the dog to a nightmare
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by XBLadez: 10:54pm On Mar 26, 2015
braindamage:
...had to laugh at the bolded. We have a lot of unbalanced dogs. I am a culprit of not doing the dog walk (for at least 30mins daily according to Ceasar Millan), my schedule and my laziness could be responsible. I only take solace that he is not cage bound and the compound is relatively big, the lizard and bird chasing, we even had a fight with a comodo looking creature one day grin. Maybe you could talk to them, did that for my neighbour who breed dogs. She is a banker, a business enthusiast, buys these dogs expensive and treats them poorly, the busy banking schedule did more damage. She changed for a while, but returned to status duo. She had to quit breeding(she runs a small canteen in her office, has a fish pond, she was doing a lot, was taking its toll on her health). Maybe their schedule turned the dog to a nightmare
Your neighbour has her own reasons. But right here, I'm talking of a complete family, a husband, a wife and kids. To them, the dog is just an animal they have to feed. I think the best thing they've done for the poor thing so far is getting it a certificate. The dog seems not to know it's a dog btw, coz it jumps on everyone. . .nobody is a stranger. But I can't talk to them because of the wife's attitude. It just hurts coz I like dogs a lot
Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by deeptesting(m): 5:53am On Mar 27, 2015
braindamage:
...the part my dog hates. The deworming and anti-rabies visits to the vet is a nightmare. Refuses a muzzle, I need to 'tactically manoeuvre' an heavy chain around his neck to a pillar, and give a choke-hold for the vet to do her(a she) job. For a 2yr old very strong dog, I get injured most times. And the world becomes normal to him again. I was not fully involved when he was younger(like correcting a dog from 0-13months), so I might just live with this bad behaviour. Any help to correct this would be appreciated. Nice Job Man

I took a deep breath after reading your comment,you know people may disagree with me that is fine but for me having a dog that i am not in total control of is a 'NO" "NO".

One from the obedience training the first thing i do is to establish the leadership role and i do this assertively,my dog has to understand that i am the Alpha and Omega and calls the shot; any unruly behavior from him or her must be nipped once noticed. I hope others will come in to make contribution on this issue but my understanding is your dog has associated the Vet visit with pain and this started from his Puppy days and so you have to find a way round to make the Vet visit a pleasurable one, don`t forget dogs can be conditioned to do whatever the owner wants them to do if you know how to go about it.

1 Like

Re: Diary of my Dog Cooper. by muyeskin(m): 11:30am On Mar 27, 2015
Wow, I had to read from page 1-8. Very interesting forum. I felt guilty at a point cos of the way I treat my female rott cry. Though not intentional, but work won't really permit me. Now i am ready to change my ways. Her name is SHONA. Close to 3months. Thumbs up.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (14) (Reply)

Some Ladies And Dogs Now.. Trending Thing / See This Little Tortoise I Saw At Our Backyard / Man Hangs Snake On His Shoulder In Cotonou

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.