Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,164 members, 7,821,950 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:36 PM

Yakubu Joins Reading, Ideye To Qatar - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Yakubu Joins Reading, Ideye To Qatar (14204 Views)

Brown Ideye To Join Tianjin TEDA / Brown Ideye Celebrates One Of His Goals On Twitter, Shares Photo / Ighalo, Omeruo, Ideye Relax In A Pool In Abuja Ahead Of Algeria Clash... Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yakubu Joins Reading, Ideye To Qatar by stam101(m): 1:13am On Feb 04, 2015
It was a busy day for some Nigerian players in the various leagues in Europe as the January Transfer Window closed on Monday.

The biggest move involving a Nigerian was with English Championship side, Reading FC, as a former Super Eagles forward, Yakubu Aiyegbeni joined the club. The deal was sealed on a free transfer till the end of the season.

According to the club’s official website, the 32-year-old, who last played for Qatari side, Al Rayyan, was given the jersey number 20 and will be eligible to play in the club’s next match against Wolvehampton Wanderers this weekend provided all clearances are completed.

Club manager, Steve Clarke, told the club’s website, “An experienced goalscorer, Yakubu brings a fantastic scoring record to this club and his addition will complement the strikers we’ve already got at Reading and help us to improve as a team in latter stages of the season.

“I know all about him as a player and I have heard very good reports about him as a personality in the dressing room. He is no-risk signing for us and I look forward to him scoring goals for Reading Football Club.”

Yakubu is the highest ever scoring African in England with 138 goals from 346 appearances, 96 of which were scored in the English Premier League.

He scored three goals in eight appearances for Al Rayyan and will join fellow Nigerian, Hope Akpan, as Reading move to beat relegation.

While Yakubu was moving from Qatar to England, West Bromwich Albion’s club record signing, Brown Ideye, was on the verge of making a move to Qatari side, Al Gharafa, as at press time.

The £10m player, who obviously arrived in England with the wrong scoring boots, has scored only a goal in the league since joining Albion in the summer.

On deadline day, another Nigerian winger, Sheyi Ojo, also joined Wigan Athletic on loan from Liverpool until the end of the season.

The 17-year-old, who did not make a first team appearance for the Reds since he joined Liverpool from MK Dons in 2011, told the club’s website that he hoped to make an impact at his new club.

Tottenham Hotspur were also on the trail of MK Dons’ forward, Dele Alli, as of press time. The 18-year-old, who has been touted to be the new Steven Gerard, was being courted by Newcastle United and Aston Villa for a fee of about £7m.

Some other deadline moves saw Wilfried Zaha rejoining Crystal Palace from Manchester United for an undisclosed fee for five and half years. Chelsea’s Andre Schurrle joined Wolfsburg for £24.2m, while the club got the signature of Colombian international Juan Cuadrado from Fiorentina for £27m.

The Blues also loaned out Mohamed Salah to Fiorentina till the end of the season with an option to buy him if he impresses.

http://www.punchng.com/sports/yakubu-joins-reading-ideye-to-qatar/

1 Like

Re: Yakubu Joins Reading, Ideye To Qatar by Lexusgs430: 1:37am On Feb 04, 2015
And this is what the British press feels about his age!!!!

Re: Yakubu Joins Reading, Ideye To Qatar by legallyblonde(f): 10:15am On Feb 04, 2015
Lexusgs430:
And this is what the British press feels about his age!!!!
wetin concern them? Isn't onazi 22?

6 Likes

Re: Yakubu Joins Reading, Ideye To Qatar by Lexusgs430: 10:18am On Feb 04, 2015
legallyblonde:
wetin concern them? Isn't onazi 22?

And Kanu is/was 28 !!!!

6 Likes

Re: Yakubu Joins Reading, Ideye To Qatar by legallyblonde(f): 2:43pm On Feb 04, 2015
Lexusgs430:

And Kanu is/was 28 !!!!
see me see Nigeria!!! #lmao

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yakubu Joins Reading, Ideye To Qatar by Nobody: 11:07pm On Feb 04, 2015
If baba Yakubu can still claim to be 32 then who am I not to claim 18 years in my next job interview? tongue

By the way shey the eyes of the Westbrom scouts and the manager combined blind ni wey dem go pack 10 millions pounds on top that two left-legs Ideye? That guy cannot hit a ball from a yard away to save his own live.

FriedPlantain

9 Likes

Re: Yakubu Joins Reading, Ideye To Qatar by Trending(m): 11:07pm On Feb 04, 2015
good for d misfits
Re: Yakubu Joins Reading, Ideye To Qatar by CharlieMaria(m): 11:08pm On Feb 04, 2015
Yakubu again? He still never troway Im boot?
Re: Yakubu Joins Reading, Ideye To Qatar by tiamiyukunle69(m): 11:08pm On Feb 04, 2015
Agbaya.....lols..nice move

1 Like

Re: Yakubu Joins Reading, Ideye To Qatar by kilayama: 11:08pm On Feb 04, 2015
jjj
Re: Yakubu Joins Reading, Ideye To Qatar by UnknownT: 11:09pm On Feb 04, 2015
Chai! Ideye's case is pathetic. I remember an interview he granted to Sammy Wegiha(check spelling) of NigeriaInfo PH after his move to WBA. Dude was optimistic, so happy leaving his old Russian club that qualified to play in Europe this season, he kinda badmouthed his Russian club and i was like, 'na wa oh, wonder wot he would have said or how he would have felt if it were a bigger club he was moving to'. Now when he couldn't perform, we heard the coach saying they bought him based on a YouTube video of his they watched. The only league goal dude scored was a 'consolation' goal mouth scramble on a snow covered pitch against City

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yakubu Joins Reading, Ideye To Qatar by fixa(m): 11:09pm On Feb 04, 2015
front row tinz
Re: Yakubu Joins Reading, Ideye To Qatar by VIPERVENOM(m): 11:13pm On Feb 04, 2015
Ideye couldn't move to Qatar cos d proposed move of carlton cole to west brom fell through. So Ideye is still at west brom
Re: Yakubu Joins Reading, Ideye To Qatar by edi287: 11:13pm On Feb 04, 2015
Ideye was truly disappointing. I had high hopes for him; he looks to be short on confidence
Re: Yakubu Joins Reading, Ideye To Qatar by onosprince(m): 11:13pm On Feb 04, 2015
This be old news... naija players and actors no know wetin dem dey cal fitness, with their big belle.
Re: Yakubu Joins Reading, Ideye To Qatar by OkikiOluwa1(m): 11:14pm On Feb 04, 2015
Ideye, flop if life!
Re: Yakubu Joins Reading, Ideye To Qatar by frodobee: 11:15pm On Feb 04, 2015
Abeg mek una score oo, no talk of juju things.
Re: Yakubu Joins Reading, Ideye To Qatar by Samchelsea(m): 11:15pm On Feb 04, 2015
As of which press time?.....transfers that ended since Monday night and you are here giving us outdated news on a Wednesday
please update your story

1 Like

Re: Yakubu Joins Reading, Ideye To Qatar by OkikiOluwa1(m): 11:16pm On Feb 04, 2015
FriedPlantain:
If baba Yakubu is can still claim to be 32 then my grandma can still claim to be a virgin

By the way shey the eyes of the Westbrom scouts blind ni wey dem go pack 10 millions pounds on two left-legs Ideye? That guy cannot hit a ball from a yard's out to save his own life

FriedPlantain
That scout must v been playing too much football manager.

I can never forget how he missed clear goals during the 2013 Confederationtions Cup.
Especially against Spain.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yakubu Joins Reading, Ideye To Qatar by Buchukwu: 11:18pm On Feb 04, 2015
Good move for yakubu but i think Ideye should have been given more time in Westbrom.
Re: Yakubu Joins Reading, Ideye To Qatar by siegfried99(m): 11:20pm On Feb 04, 2015
Ok

1 Like

Re: Yakubu Joins Reading, Ideye To Qatar by tola9ja: 11:20pm On Feb 04, 2015
buhari enter aso rock jonathan to otueke

1 Like

Re: Yakubu Joins Reading, Ideye To Qatar by ibknaanii(m): 11:23pm On Feb 04, 2015
Best of luck
Re: Yakubu Joins Reading, Ideye To Qatar by tonididdy(m): 11:24pm On Feb 04, 2015
Smh
Re: Yakubu Joins Reading, Ideye To Qatar by LesbianBoy(m): 11:24pm On Feb 04, 2015
Life is really unfair! That ideye can't play ball yet he earns thousands of pounds! Choi! angry

3 Likes

Re: Yakubu Joins Reading, Ideye To Qatar by okon11: 11:25pm On Feb 04, 2015
Re: Yakubu Joins Reading, Ideye To Qatar by Lilprincey(m): 11:26pm On Feb 04, 2015
'Feed the YAK and he will score' good move for aiyegbeni
Re: Yakubu Joins Reading, Ideye To Qatar by Lilprincey(m): 11:28pm On Feb 04, 2015
Brown ideye nids spiritual cleansing jez like emenike
Re: Yakubu Joins Reading, Ideye To Qatar by Deapexboy(m): 11:28pm On Feb 04, 2015
An experienced goalscorer'' INDEED

why them giv am quit notice for super eagles??

This basket!!
Re: Yakubu Joins Reading, Ideye To Qatar by Jokay07(m): 11:31pm On Feb 04, 2015
Yakubu? That little innocent fat pig or another one?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria Football(league & National Teams) In The '80s & 90's: Ask Ya Questions / Super Eagles Defender Kenneth Omeruo Completes Leganes Move / Nigeria's D'tigers Defeats China 74-64 In Stankovic Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.