Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,871 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:22 AM

Programming Section -Not Much Going On Here - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Programming Section -Not Much Going On Here (1878 Views)

Programming Section Heavy-weights, Come Hither! / Can Nairaland Programming Section Be More Like Stack Overflow / Seun Is Trying To Rebuild Programming Section (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Programming Section -Not Much Going On Here by CodeHouse: 2:10pm On Feb 04, 2015
undecided .. Sorry but I was expecting to see reasonable posts, maybe it's just me expecting too much or everyone is just talking politics
Re: Programming Section -Not Much Going On Here by lordZOUGA(m): 2:14pm On Feb 04, 2015
CodeHouse:
angry
What kind of things should be happening in order for someone to accurately say that something is going on in this section?
Re: Programming Section -Not Much Going On Here by CodeHouse: 2:21pm On Feb 04, 2015
lordZOUGA:

What kind of things should be happening in order for someone to accurately say that something is going on in this section?

Yup mate, When everyone agrees, then someone is not thinking..I don't expect to see people partying anyway..I totally expected to read informational and creative posts..most topics here are flowing towards one direction cos everyone seem to be doing the same thing.

Some of us moderate other forums and some visit forums aside nairaland, it is not only enough that moderators should just be on the lookout for offenders or any use of the "f" word or any other inappropriate words (a simple line of sensor code can do that at the backend, where Seun resides), what about finding solutions to the numerous questions asked by forum members,especially the green progammers? (So we can have topics that are "Solved" )

As a moderator or a veteran on a forum, new members expect much of your input but the case here is opposite..sometimes moderators should stir up interest of people visiting here by constantly creating post that is informative or educating..little wonder why most topics here don't make front page.

Infact, I believe the rate at which a section or a forum would gain members, is directly proportional to the moderator's input (and of course the input of other veterans).

Moderators should be one of the first to respond to a post cos new members believe they know more and are vast in knowledge.

That's the reason you find people in here ceating a whatsapp group where real solutions and brainstorimng is done. In there, people with like interest communicate better, they feel the connection they share..I would say the distractions and numerous derailing posts here is one thing that should be pruned.

My point though, is "Nothing new in here"..What's Next?

6 Likes

Re: Programming Section -Not Much Going On Here by abdul01(m): 4:06pm On Feb 04, 2015
seconded. I've always wanted to make a similar post about how dry this section of d forum is. Likewise there are many features i expect to see on NL as a whole, like comment rating(like it's done on disqus) so d comment with d highest rating appears first, user reputation(like it's done on Stackoverflow), mentions(like it's done on twitter), likewise the UI should be revamped, cos this present one really sucks and looks so 2005ish. Look at forums like quora, laracasts and co. even though they were established years after NL, they look so beautiful and have a lot of cool functionalities. I don't know what all these guys are doing with core i7 systems at otta grin(abeg make una no ban me oh!)

I believe that nairaland can be like a google if they really improve this site and their apps.

Back to d topic. I think the mods should be creating things like weekly quiz based on different jurisdictions(programming, DB, networking, etc) and for different levels(beginner, intermediate, advanced).
Likewise good and beneficial articles should be created(or posted from other notable IT sites n blogs) on different topics.

2 Likes

Re: Programming Section -Not Much Going On Here by CodeHouse: 4:51pm On Feb 04, 2015
abdul01:
seconded. I've always wanted to make a similar post about how dry this section of d forum is. Likewise there are many features i expect to see on NL as a whole, like comment rating(like it's done on disqus) so d comment with d highest rating appears first, user reputation(like it's done on Stackoverflow), mentions(like it's done on twitter), likewise the UI should be revamped, cos this present one really sucks and looks so 2005ish. Look at forums like quora, laracasts and co. even though they were established years after NL, they look so beautiful and have a lot of cool functionalities. I don't know what all these guys are doing with core i7 systems at otta grin(abeg make una no ban me oh!)

I believe that nairaland can be like a google if they really improve this site and their apps.

Back to d topic. I think the mods should be creating things like weekly quiz based on different jurisdictions(programming, DB, networking, etc) and for different levels(beginner, intermediate, advanced).
Likewise good and beneficial articles should be created(or posted from other notable ) on different topics.

Likey

1 Like

Re: Programming Section -Not Much Going On Here by sarutobi: 10:09pm On Feb 04, 2015
CodeHouse:

Yup mate, When everyone agrees, then someone is not thinking..I don't expect to see people partying anyway..I totally expected to read informational and creative posts..most topics here are flowing towards one direction cos everyone seem to be doing the same thing.

Some of us moderate other forums and some visit forums aside nairaland, it is not only enough that moderators should just be on the lookout for offenders or any use of the "f" word or any other inappropriate words (a simple line of sensor code can do that at the backend, where Seun resides), what about finding solutions to the numerous questions asked by forum members,especially the green progammers? (So we can have topics that are "Solved" )

As a moderator or a veteran on a forum, new members expect much of your input but the case here is opposite..sometimes moderators should stir up interest of people visiting here by constantly creating post that is informative or educating..little wonder why most topics here don't make front page.

Infact, I believe the rate at which a section or a forum would gain members, is directly proportional to the moderator's input (and of course the input of other veterans).

Moderators should be one of the first to respond to a post cos new members believe they know more and are vast in knowledge.

That's the reason you find people in here ceating a whatsapp group where real solutions and brainstorimng is done. In there, people with like interest communicate better, they feel the connection they share..I would say the distractions and numerous derailing posts here is one thing that should be pruned.

My point though, is "Nothing new in here"..What's Next?

A standing ovation for you sir.

Nowadays, i visit the jokes and business sections more.

I think that programming is not very popular among Nigerians. I have seen a few topics here hit the frontpage, but the response is nothing compared to a thread from the politics section.

You are right about moderators sha. We need more expert inputs here.

1 Like

Re: Programming Section -Not Much Going On Here by CodeHouse: 5:02am On Feb 05, 2015
sarutobi:

A standing ovation for you sir.

Nowadays, i visit the jokes and business sections more.

I think that programming is not very popular among Nigerians. I have seen a few topics here hit the frontpage, but the response is nothing compared to a thread from the politics section.

You are right about moderators sha. We need more expert inputs here.

I think I like the "trending" section where I get to choose what I read, Front Page posts comes from there..so I prefer to just scroll through the trending section and read my interest.

I don't care about Front Page cos it is messed up..you find useless post like when Tonto Dikeh goes unclad or Nairalander cooking vegetable soup..when K12 students in China are already making time machine..Uffffff!
Re: Programming Section -Not Much Going On Here by lordZOUGA(m): 8:41am On Feb 05, 2015
Codehouse, do you want to make a time machine?
Re: Programming Section -Not Much Going On Here by CodeHouse: 9:56am On Feb 05, 2015
lordZOUGA:
Codehouse, do you want to make a time machine?

Laughs, You are not following
Re: Programming Section -Not Much Going On Here by lordZOUGA(m): 10:04am On Feb 05, 2015
CodeHouse:

Laughs, You are not following

I am following. If you are really interested in making the programming section active, you can start by creating the topics yourself. it is not as if topic creation ability is limited to the moderators alone
Re: Programming Section -Not Much Going On Here by CodeHouse: 11:32am On Feb 05, 2015
lordZOUGA:

I am following. If you are really interested in making the programming section active, you can start by creating the topics yourself. it is not as if topic creation ability is limited to the moderators alone

No it isn't and I'm not saying you should come up here to create topics everyday..there are topics that draws participation, topics that each member's contributions will add to the knowledge of other members, I am saying moderators should not just sit and watch the progamming section stay boring or dull, I am saying there are ways to incite value and more participation to this section.

I am not here to fight anyone, it is just my observation, you can decide to act if you wish, it still doesn't change anything.

One problem is that you guys don't handle criticism so well, that's another reason I also think some sections don't do well, cos members are scared of being suspended till "2080" when a flag is raised. "2080" when telepathy would have taken the world.

I think at this point, I've registered my thoughts.

1 Like

Re: Programming Section -Not Much Going On Here by Appguru(m): 2:02pm On Feb 05, 2015
@codeHouse Many thanks for voicing out an obvious fact. Please don't waste time arguing.

Nothing can be done, because the powers that be are not interested.

FACT : the fastest and surest way to get banned on Nairaland and the programming section grin is by POSTING A LINE OF CODE (Be it java, php ...).

I discovered for myself while posting an answer on this thread
https://www.nairaland.com/2123903/android-developer-sms-app-sends

I spent 30 minutes typing in the answer (code inclusive) and got banned for 24hours. I didn't contact the mods, I had more important stuff to take care of (day job).

For all the doubters, copy a line of code from your IDE and post here. One way ticket! grin

Shout out to guys like @nollyj et.c, that are innovative. I hope to give back some day, when I have a loose schedule.

1 Like

Re: Programming Section -Not Much Going On Here by CodeHouse: 2:30pm On Feb 05, 2015
Appguru:
@codeHouse Many thanks for voicing out an obvious fact. Please don't waste time arguing.

Nothing can be done, because the powers that be are not interested.

FACT : the fastest and surest way to get banned on Nairaland and the programming section grin is by POSTING A LINE OF CODE (Be it java, php ...).

I discovered for myself while posting an answer on this thread
https://www.nairaland.com/2123903/android-developer-sms-app-sends

I spent 30 minutes typing in the answer (code inclusive) and got banned for 24hours. I didn't contact the mods, I had more important stuff to take care of (day job).

For all the doubters, copy a line of code from your IDE and post here. One way ticket! grin

Shout out to guys like @nollyj et.c, that are innovative. I hope to give back some day, when I have a loose schedule.

Yes I noticed that code thing too..by now there should be a code tag in the text editor
Re: Programming Section -Not Much Going On Here by lordZOUGA(m): 3:09pm On Feb 05, 2015
You don't get banned if you post code on this section. This is the programming section, it is logical for you to post code here.

if you got banned, sorry about that but you should have alerted the mods to what happened instead of coming to your own conclusions. Appguru.
Re: Programming Section -Not Much Going On Here by lordZOUGA(m): 3:12pm On Feb 05, 2015
CodeHouse:

No it isn't and I'm not saying you should come up here to create topics everyday..there are topics that draws participation, topics that each member's contributions will add to the knowledge of other members, I am saying moderators should not just sit and watch the progamming section stay boring or dull, I am saying there are ways to incite value and more participation to this section.

I am not here to fight anyone, it is just my observation, you can decide to act if you wish, it still doesn't change anything.

One problem is that you guys don't handle criticism so well, that's another reason I also think some sections don't do well, cos members are scared of being suspended till "2080" when a flag is raised. "2080" when telepathy would have taken the world.

I think at this point, I've registered my thoughts.

but nobody is fighting you. I was just pointing out how your input can also help promote this section. smiley

1 Like

Re: Programming Section -Not Much Going On Here by CodeHouse: 3:19pm On Feb 05, 2015
lordZOUGA:

but nobody is fighting you. I am just pointing out how your input can also help promote this section. smiley

Trust me most of my input are done at the backend, on numerous whatsapp group created by members who don't get the satisfaction they need here.

And YES, my contributions are not withheld and as long as you remain the "Lord", we know things will begin to take a new turn, thanks
Re: Programming Section -Not Much Going On Here by Appguru(m): 3:58pm On Feb 05, 2015
@lordZOUGA

I see you just made my post on that thread visible. cool

Why I did not contact you (mods)?
Well within the past two weeks, I have contacted the mods at least 6 times. (Is not as if, I am getting paid for this posts or potential clients)
- Post a link to http://code [d0t] google [d0t] com/ ...[opensource project] (instant ban! shocked) 24 hours
- Post a link to http://www [d0t] apache [d0t] org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0 [dot] html ... (instant ban! shocked) 24 hours
All this links are for reference purposes!

Please Oo! this is not an attempt to ridicule/belittle your office and the platform. What I have put up there are my experiences.
Re: Programming Section -Not Much Going On Here by Nobody: 4:13pm On Feb 05, 2015
That's because Programming section is dead on NL, its all about HTML,CSS now. we've tried to revive it but no response

1 Like

Re: Programming Section -Not Much Going On Here by CodeHouse: 4:16pm On Feb 05, 2015
pcguru1:
That's because Programming section is dead on NL, its all about HTML,CSS now. we've tried to revive it but no response

I see..
Re: Programming Section -Not Much Going On Here by lordZOUGA(m): 4:58pm On Feb 05, 2015
pcguru1:
Your posts were very much appreciated man. what do you mean by "no response"?
Re: Programming Section -Not Much Going On Here by lordZOUGA(m): 5:01pm On Feb 05, 2015
Appguru:
@lordZOUGA

I see you just made my post on that thread visible. cool

Why I did not contact you (mods)?
Well within the past two weeks, I have contacted the mods at least 6 times. (Is not as if, I am getting paid for this posts or potential clients)
- Post a link to http://code [d0t] google [d0t] com/ ...[opensource project] (instant ban! shocked) 24 hours
- Post a link to http://www [d0t] apache [d0t] org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0 [dot] html ... (instant ban! shocked) 24 hours
All this links are for reference purposes!

Please Oo! this is not an attempt to ridicule/belittle your office and the platform. What I have put up there are my experiences.
Dude, I don't think you have been banned for any of those reasons.
Re: Programming Section -Not Much Going On Here by Nobody: 6:29pm On Feb 05, 2015
lordZOUGA:

Your posts were very much appreciated man. what do you mean by "no response"?

I understand that it's not all about feedback but sometimes it's like you just talking to yourself. Ave joined several forums and frameworks group and there's feedback. We discuss what should happen or not. I've contributed to international frameworks because its easy to get feedback and discuss stuff. And it's really sad I remember when this section was alive it was fun. Now it's dead but I know others are doing a good job. You still code with c++ respect.

(1) (Reply)

Finished Css Already , Created A Website / Any DBA Here? I Realy Need Your Help / Phpbrowserbox Goes Open-source!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.