Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,040 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:22 AM

Programming Section Heavy-weights, Come Hither! - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Programming Section Heavy-weights, Come Hither! (1451 Views)

Why Do Topics From The Programming Section Never Make FP??? / Is This Really A Programming Section? / My Advice To Seun On How To Improve Nairaland Programming Section (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Programming Section Heavy-weights, Come Hither! by paranorman(m): 4:54pm On Aug 11, 2016
Okay, been learning PHP for some months and I can say I am getting better at it, logically. My design sulks because I design ike a programmer. Hehehehehe.. I am always more concerend about the logical aspect since I can always outsource the design aspect in the nearest future when I become a guru like y'all, better than those at MS, google self....

Well, I created a quiz web app; also did something like a mini phpMyAdmin, e.t.c... Even now, I am working on an app that works like FB, next is a NL-wannabe app.
Still sulk at php security/working with the superglobals and header informations..

... I am just layin a logically foundation for my skills before I go full blown into enterprise dev.

With the way some guys bash some languages, PHP for example, one would think you're learning a language that expired in 1904!

I just need experienced advice on my learnin curve. Most of you guys have expensive experience, some have had their minds well forged in the arena of codes, some of you guys have become Morpheous, some even claim to be Leo(remember the movie 'Matrix'?)... Hehehehe

i need advice on how to go about my learning curve. Which language to concentrate on and which shouldn't pay to much attention on e.t.c.

I am thinking like: after getting to level 6 of 10 on PHP(I rate myself at 4/10. You think that's too low, wait till you see my works on PHP, you'd suprise at my logic skills), I can introduce another language to my library and keep learning them both.
May be python, java or c#.. I don't even know which to start with, whether c# or java..

Make suggestions for me on my learning curve, and don't tell me to go start with a framework of a lang, that's bad foundation. I once regected an internship opportunity when the dude told me I was gonna start with zend framework, PHP, after scoring me 9/10 on php/mySql test.

Thank you!
Re: Programming Section Heavy-weights, Come Hither! by Tochaigh: 11:59pm On Aug 13, 2016
If you are doing web backend, learn ruby. That's all!

I am not a guru.
Re: Programming Section Heavy-weights, Come Hither! by paranorman(m): 10:30am On Aug 15, 2016
Tochaigh:
If you are doing web backend, learn ruby. That's all!

I am not a guru.

Ruby? Okay.
Recommend any extremely good pdf book that'll take me from Rookie to Pro..
Re: Programming Section Heavy-weights, Come Hither! by Nobody: 11:51am On Aug 15, 2016
Err, i dont have anything to say yet. But you the quality of your work does not depend on PHP.
Re: Programming Section Heavy-weights, Come Hither! by paranorman(m): 12:03pm On Aug 15, 2016
dhtml18:
Err, i dont have anything to say yet. But you the quality of your work does not depend on PHP.
i don't understand.
Re: Programming Section Heavy-weights, Come Hither! by Nobody: 12:43pm On Aug 15, 2016
What makes a programmer great is not language. Take me for example, I write awesome codes in so many languages. Even if i migrate to Ruby this month, in the next couple of months, once i have gotten a good hang of it, I will still write awesome stuffs that some existing Ruby programmers will wow at.
What this means is that, a programming language is just a tool. What is most important is the ability of the programmer to think logically and use the tools to create great stuffs.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Programming Section Heavy-weights, Come Hither! by paranorman(m): 1:38pm On Aug 15, 2016
dhtml18:
What makes a programmer great is not language. Take me for example, I write awesome codes in so many languages. Even if i migrate to Ruby this month, in the next couple of months, once i have gotten a good hang of it, I will still write awesome stuffs that some existing Ruby programmers will wow at.
What this means is that, a programming language is just a tool. What is most important is the ability of the programmer to think logically and use the tools to create great stuffs.
we are on the same page then. This has always been my mantra..
Re: Programming Section Heavy-weights, Come Hither! by talk2hb1(m): 9:11pm On Aug 15, 2016
Before going further, hope you undestand OOP concept of php?
If No, I'll suggest you go learn Java Sharperly.
You will be wondering, why Java?
You can easily master oop of any language if you can easily master java oop concept. Learn with Deitel Deitel Java how to program (1000+ pages undecided and its a fat book) you will learn java, oop concept,+ computer science.
Then go back to complete your PHP oop wink
Thank me later
Re: Programming Section Heavy-weights, Come Hither! by Nobody: 9:39pm On Aug 15, 2016
^^^that was what I did, and it worked wonders.
Re: Programming Section Heavy-weights, Come Hither! by paranorman(m): 10:10pm On Aug 15, 2016
talk2hb1:
Before going further, hope you undestand OOP concept of php?
If No, I'll suggest you go learn Java Sharperly.
You will be wondering, why Java?
You can easily master oop of any language if you can easily master java oop concept. Learn with Deitel Deitel Java how to program (1000+ pages undecided and its a fat book) you will learn java, oop concept,+ computer science.
Then go back to complete your PHP oop wink
Thank me later
thanks for the reply. The book's 'Deitel Deitel how to program'? I just wondering because of the repitition of name.. Thanks.
Re: Programming Section Heavy-weights, Come Hither! by paranorman(m): 10:18pm On Aug 15, 2016
dhtml18:
^^^that was what I did, and it worked wonders.

I came accross a html5 book and saw some cool code. Does javascript now have some server-side capabilities? Like connect to MySQL db, e.t.c...?
Re: Programming Section Heavy-weights, Come Hither! by talk2hb1(m): 10:19pm On Aug 15, 2016
paranorman:

thanks for the reply. The book's 'Deitel Deitel how to program'? I just wondering because of the repitition of name.. Thanks.

Paul Deitel, Harvey Deitel. Father and Son
Re: Programming Section Heavy-weights, Come Hither! by talk2hb1(m): 10:21pm On Aug 15, 2016
paranorman:

I came accross a html5 book and saw some cool code. Does javascript now have some server-side capabilities? Like connect to MySQL db, e.t.c...?
Local Storage and co,
You can create local database on clients machine using sqlite
Re: Programming Section Heavy-weights, Come Hither! by Nobody: 11:24pm On Aug 15, 2016
paranorman:

yes it does
Re: Programming Section Heavy-weights, Come Hither! by danidee10(m): 11:30pm On Aug 15, 2016
Definitely python.

General purpose scripting language

Awesome community

A lot of good frameworks to choose from

Plays nicely with other languages

Can be used for a lot of things...mobile apps, Web apps, desktop apps, machine learning, data science, scripting for sysadmins....just name it
Re: Programming Section Heavy-weights, Come Hither! by paranorman(m): 8:05am On Aug 16, 2016
talk2hb1:

Local Storage and co,
You can create local database on clients machine using sqlite
okay, I'll investigate that. Thanks.
Re: Programming Section Heavy-weights, Come Hither! by paranorman(m): 8:06am On Aug 16, 2016
talk2hb1:

Paul Deitel, Harvey Deitel. Father and Son
thanks.
Re: Programming Section Heavy-weights, Come Hither! by paranorman(m): 8:07am On Aug 16, 2016
danidee10:
Definitely python.

General purpose scripting language

Awesome community

A lot of good frameworks to choose from

Plays nicely with other languages

Can be used for a lot of things...mobile apps, Web apps, desktop apps, machine learning, data science, scripting for sysadmins....just name it

really, I'l investigate...

(1) (Reply)

J2me, Pdf Api Help / Problem Between Swishmax And Internet Explorer / Pls! Help With This C++ Program

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.