Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,045 members, 7,835,530 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:24 AM

Career Advice For Women - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Career Advice For Women (4979 Views)

Career Advice On How To Proceed With IT Career Urgently Needed!!!!!! / Microbiologists; Career Advice / "Follow Your Passion" Isn’t A Good Career Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Career Advice For Women by Nobody: 1:31pm On Feb 05, 2015
aisha2 is gone? Just great! angry angry
Re: Career Advice For Women by Nobody: 2:15pm On Feb 05, 2015
There's no way Aisha deactivated because of Mutter. Don't insult Aisha abeg.

I know she has had some health struggles lately so she may just be taking time to attend to that. Get well soon ma'am.

1 Like

Re: Career Advice For Women by 5minsmadness: 2:27pm On Feb 05, 2015
damiso:
What happened here
Probably deactivated by accident. Has nearly happened to me before.
Re: Career Advice For Women by Nobody: 2:31pm On Feb 05, 2015
Aisha where art thou?
Re: Career Advice For Women by bukatyne(f): 2:35pm On Feb 05, 2015
blank:
Aisha2, not you as well. Come back!!!

First it was Debrief, then Jennykadry, now Aisha2.

Why? Why? Why?

I just noticed as well angry embarassed
Re: Career Advice For Women by bukatyne(f): 2:37pm On Feb 05, 2015
I thought the thread was 'career advice for women'

Nice thread

2 Likes

Re: Career Advice For Women by Nobody: 2:49pm On Feb 05, 2015
bukatyne:
I thought the thread was 'career advice for women'

Nice thread

Yes now, haven't you seen the career advice there? Turn in your work late, call out of work whenever you have a period, take as many days off as you desire as long as you can claim you're doing something for your family, with your family, about your family; heck just use the word family and you're good to be a slob and a loser at work. After all, you're feminine and females should naturally suck at work.

Which other career advice do you need, ehn Buka?

1 Like

Re: Career Advice For Women by bukatyne(f): 2:51pm On Feb 05, 2015
ileobatojo:

Yes now, haven't you seen the career advice there? Turn in your work late, call out of work whenever you have a period, take as many days off as you desire as long as you can claim you're doing something for your family, with your family, about your family; heck just use the word family and you're good to be a slob and a loser at work. After all, you're feminine and females should naturally suck at work.

Which other career advice do you need, ehn Buka?

I honestly hope it is single people who are bearing the brunt of such irresponsibility

If I have an organization, I would weed such irresponsible employees before you say Jack Robinson...

Even the Bible acknowledges someone being diligent at work....

This is the Virtuous woman/Excellent wife in Prov 31: 10 - 31 (for Christians)

A Wife of Noble Character

10 [b]Who can find a virtuous and capable wife?
She is more precious than rubies.
11 Her husband can trust her,
and she will greatly enrich his life.
12 She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.

13 She finds wool and flax
and busily spins it.
14 She is like a merchant’s ship,
bringing her food from afar.
15 She gets up before dawn to prepare breakfast for her household
and plan the day’s work for her servant girls.

16 She goes to inspect a field and buys it;
with her earnings she plants a vineyard.
17 She is energetic and strong,
a hard worker.
18 She makes sure her dealings are profitable;
her lamp burns late into the night.

19 Her hands are busy spinning thread,
her fingers twisting fiber.
20 She extends a helping hand to the poor
and opens her arms to the needy.
21 She has no fear of winter for her household,
for everyone has warm[c] clothes.

22 She makes her own bedspreads.
She dresses in fine linen and purple gowns.
23 Her husband is well known at the city gates,
where he sits with the other civic leaders.
24 She makes belted linen garments
and sashes to sell to the merchants.

25 She is clothed with strength and dignity,
and she laughs without fear of the future.
26 When she speaks, her words are wise,
and she gives instructions with kindness.
27 She carefully watches everything in her household
and suffers nothing from laziness.

28 Her children stand and bless her.
Her husband praises her:
29 “There are many virtuous and capable women in the world,
but you surpass them all!”

30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last;
but a woman who fears the Lord will be greatly praised.
31 Reward her for all she has done.
Let her deeds publicly declare her praise[/b].

And a woman has several hats she has to wear and excel at them; same with a man too.

Just as a man has a lot of hats he has to juggle... and succeed in all

2 Likes

Re: Career Advice For Women by crackhaus: 3:21pm On Feb 05, 2015
mutter:

- I advice my daughters to grow up emancipated and proud of what they are women.

- My daughter everything "work "you learn at the Uni, everything "marriage" you learn from me and your faith.

- Your first career and fulfillment as a woman is to be a wife and mother. That is the natural role of a woman.

- Don`t let any silly women who claim they are feminist tell you any different. These women are struggling to be regarded as men and end up not meeting up to the expectations of a man and not meeting up to the expectations of a woman.

- Right now I am here fantasizing about my daughters marriage when the time comes and not her first job. tongue
I just had to put it in bullets for ya - succinct!
Re: Career Advice For Women by cococandy(f): 3:57pm On Feb 05, 2015
alutacontinua:

Yes! embarassed
I love my vaagina undecided
yay welcome back. But does that mean you're no longer my husband? grin
Re: Career Advice For Women by cococandy(f): 3:58pm On Feb 05, 2015
Aisha2 deactivated? angry
Re: Career Advice For Women by Nobody: 4:31pm On Feb 05, 2015
crackhaus:

I just had to put it in bullets for ya - succinct!
Na this kind thing dey sweet you.

1 Like

Re: Career Advice For Women by Nobody: 4:44pm On Feb 05, 2015
angry

First missmeiya, now aisha2

angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Career Advice For Women by Fkforyou(m): 5:55pm On Feb 05, 2015
Its about time she did so.......
Re: Career Advice For Women by Stillfire: 6:21pm On Feb 05, 2015
Interesting thread.
For the young Nigerian girls out there who want to go into the scientific field, there are resources out there to get you started. Growing up, I was confused on what exactly I wanted to do. I was interested in science but not necessarily as a doctor or engineer because that's the traditional and stereotypical profession your parents and society automatically assumes for you because you found yourself in science class in senior secondary school. So if anyone asked what I wanted to do I just said Pharmacy because that was the only positions other than being a doctor I could think of . I did not even what to be a pharmacist. Anyway, I had to do a lot of research and I'm still researching on the career path I would like to take. Currently my academic/career track is in drug design, discovery, development and commercialization. I found out I would like to be the person between the science and the business. I speak to a lot of professors and many of them are not even doing what they studied during their undergraduate degree. You have to realize it's a journey not a destination.

First things to do is to go to sites like this

http://myidp.sciencecareers.org/

myIDP provides:
•Exercises to help you examine your skills, interests, and values
•A list of 20 scientific career paths with a prediction of which ones best fit your skills and interests
•A tool for setting strategic goals for the coming year, with optional reminders to keep you on track
•Articles and resources to guide you through the process

This will help gauge your strengths and weaknesses. There are a lot of possibilities in the scientific field. You should also diversify your interests like maybe having a minor in marketing, business, law.

4 Likes

Re: Career Advice For Women by crackhaus: 7:43pm On Feb 05, 2015
softysparky:

Na this kind thing dey sweet you.
She lie?
Re: Career Advice For Women by Nobody: 7:58pm On Feb 05, 2015
crackhaus:

She lie?
Honestly I liked her post too.
Re: Career Advice For Women by crackhaus: 8:05pm On Feb 05, 2015
softysparky:

Honestly I liked her post too.
Lol...nice smiley
Re: Career Advice For Women by bellong: 8:19pm On Feb 05, 2015
@Stillfire,

Thanks for the link.
Re: Career Advice For Women by Stillfire: 9:20pm On Feb 05, 2015
bellong:
@Stillfire,
Thanks for the link.

You're welcome.

Still on girls (and boys cheesy) in the science field.
Another thing you need to know is that you need to be involved in some undergraduate research with your professors, internships and programs that enhance technical skills. I didn't take any internship during my undergraduate degree (yup I was busy enjoying my summers cheesy) because nobody told me these things and I didn't bother, but I did some undergraduate research. What undergraduate degrees just do is to give you coursework and exams, but not necessarily the technical skills needed to get a job. The link below are examples of technical skills you can start looking into.

http://jobsearch.about.com/od/skills/fl/technical-skills.htm

They look good on your resume and cover letter.

http://www.unilevernigeria.com/careers-jobs/graduates/internships/

http://www.gsk.com.ng/careers/graduate_opportunities.htm

Don't limit your job search though to just your specific field. By that I mean even if you want to be an engineer, you can still find an engineering job in the pharmaceutical industry. These industries have opportunities for not only the science, but also finance, regulatory affairs, human resources, MBA candidates, etc.

2 Likes

Re: Career Advice For Women by Stillfire: 9:27pm On Feb 05, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDTTfoFnHrY

This is a Nigerian woman that is practically doing well in her profession as a physicist encouraging young girls to aim high and climb to the pinnacle of success. kiss These are the kind of people I would like to have a cup of tea with.

3 Likes

Re: Career Advice For Women by Stillfire: 10:06pm On Feb 05, 2015
Also you need to know how to Network.
This is where I have problems with. I'm introverted, chatting with people is not my strongest forte. At networking events that is open to all, I take my sister along...helps to break the ice.

You can also network by, looking up the names of people in your field and their contact. You may find these kind of information on web resources like Linkedin. Send them an email or call and say you are interested in their field and would like for them to give you a summary of what they do. What's the worst that could happen...them not answering your mail? cheesy
Re: Career Advice For Women by Nobody: 8:53am On Feb 06, 2015
ileobatojo:
There's no way Aisha deactivated because of Mutter. Don't insult Aisha abeg.

I know she has had some health struggles lately so she may just be taking time to attend to that. Get well soon ma'am.

oh, ok.

Aisha2 get well soon. Always remember some people love you. Your eFriends smiley

Yeye people plenty here sha, that why i dont even read most bullshit. I sight bullsh1t from 40miles grin.
Ogbonge people

1 Like

Re: Career Advice For Women by donodion(m): 7:49pm On Feb 06, 2015
mutter:
I advice my daughters to grow up emancipated and proud of what they are women.

If you have your periods- to hell if everyone knows ! that`s what makes you a woman. Don`t go swallowing unnecessary pills to avoid pain or to stop the period coming altogether.

Take off time from work to attend to your family matters! The project can wait or be submitted a day later or taken home .
This is what is expected of man and woman. Jobs today are paying more attention to the needs of the family and flexible working hours. In the western world families are dying out because of the stress of combining work and children.

My daughter everything "work "you learn at the Uni, everything "marriage" you learn from me and your faith.

Your first career and fulfillment as a woman is to be a wife and mother. That is the natural role of a woman.
Don`t let any silly women who claim they are feminist tell you any different. These women are struggling to be regarded as men and end up not meeting up to the expectations of a man and not meeting up to the expectations of a woman.
In is your fundamental right to live as a woman, feminine, soft and gentle, married and nursing and no one has a right to rob you of it.

When my daughter got her first contact with working class women without a husband and kids she came home and told me she was really scared. She did not want to end up like that. smiley

Right now I am here fantasizing about my daughters marriage when the time comes and not her first job. tongue

Dear Mutter...Can i follow you? i could but i need your permission?

1 Like

Re: Career Advice For Women by Nobody: 9:23am On Feb 12, 2015
oyb:

angry

First missmeiya, now aisha2

angry

I don't know what this thread is all about but that name, MissMeiya, caught me. grin

She was one of her type here on Nairaland.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Conpcass Salary Scale / A Question For Perfectionists - Does Perfection Impede Improvement? / You Can Start With A Low Paying Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.