Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,306 members, 7,811,908 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:07 PM

Decamping; A Major Problem In The Nigeria Political System? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Decamping; A Major Problem In The Nigeria Political System? (6153 Views)

Senator Gemade Wins APC Senatorial Primary Few Hours After Decamping From PDP / Live Pictures From APC Mega Rally In Osogbo---where Oyinlola Is Decamping / Pre-colonial Traditional Political System In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Decamping; A Major Problem In The Nigeria Political System? by kosovo(m): 7:53pm On Dec 30, 2008
[b] I was just thinking about the Nigeria political climate and many things came across my mind. Nigeria is a multi political system with about 50 parties involved.

Every now and then party names are changed and new ones created. We have seen many parties been swept away, some forming alliances while others breaking out.

We have seen party supporters decamping from a party when his/her party fails to win an election, we have also seen people that should never be a party and even when they realize, it looks like a normal thing to them.

Nigeria been multi-ethnic is prone to nepotism and political jingoism, it pains me more to see party bigwigs; people who were suppose to be credible, honest and loyal to a party decamp. For example the case of Atiku Abubaka, Orji uzor kalu, comrade governor Adams Oshiomole, who have either decamped or formed alliances. If you take the case of former president Mbeki of South Africa, he was indicted of corruption and asked to resign by his party which he did within one week, yet he didn’t leave his party. More also Former secretary of state Colin Powell endorsed President-elect Obama over his party nominee; McCain, still that didn’t make him become a Democrat.

I have come to understand that Nigeria still operates a political system that look like a joke, most members of political parties don’t  know the core values of a party before joining, to some the reigning party is the party to belong.  Just like Governor Oshiomole said to Niger state governor during the northerners forum ‘ Nigeria political system is a place where you are in one party in the morning and in the evening you are in another party’

Those great men- Mbeki and powell were loyal to their party and knew the core values of their paty, they can’t see themselves jumping from one party to another because of their integrity, conscience, and passion for the goals of their party. But over here in Nigeria the reverse is the case. We have men without shame and credibility. You could imagine a president saying in public[i] ‘ Don’t vote for a party that will not win’.[/i] The only thing that matters in the Nigeria political system is where the Ghana-must-go, Goes.
In conclusion, if  Nigeria continues like this  she will still be in a world of promises instead of policies, broken and obnoxious governmental practices, different visions, different points of agenda, political insecurity, political instability and lots more.
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Decamping; A Major Problem In The Nigeria Political System? by vowiski(m): 8:34am On Dec 31, 2008
kosovo:

The only thing that matters in the Nigeria political system is where the Ghana-must-go, Goes.

lol.
Re: Decamping; A Major Problem In The Nigeria Political System? by chidichris(m): 8:47am On Dec 31, 2008
@poster,
it is a problem of institutions. there is no institution in nigerian political system. things are not done merits. even appointments are done based on how much you spent during campeigns. how influential your thugs were in getting the boxes from the inec officials.
even our parties do not work based on their manifestoes.
all these decamping issues are not deliberate.
like in my state-imo, the gov is from ppa and he won based on the crises in pdp then. the only option left for him to go for the second tenure will be joining the pdp.
people move up and down just for what they want at that particular time.
if anyone fails primaries in a particular prty, since he must context that election, he has to decamp to where he will be given the ticket.
again, using pdp as a case study, almost all their posts where hand picked so the peoples choice does not matter so aggrieved persons will not have anyother choice than to dcamp.
until nigeria or the govt begin to creat institutions based on the constitution of the land, all these issues will continue to go by the wind.
Re: Decamping; A Major Problem In The Nigeria Political System? by IGWEUSA(m): 10:14am On Dec 31, 2008
As the poor masses are searching for greener pastures, so are there leaders/politicians.

Is it not fair? grin
Re: Decamping; A Major Problem In The Nigeria Political System? by Dede1(m): 3:17pm On Dec 31, 2008
The geographical expression called Nigeria is a piece of joke.
Re: Decamping; A Major Problem In The Nigeria Political System? by kosovo(m): 9:55pm On Dec 31, 2008
Dede1:

The geographical expression called Nigeria is a piece of joke.
i concur
Re: Decamping; A Major Problem In The Nigeria Political System? by tpia: 10:36pm On Dec 31, 2008
Re: Decamping; A Major Problem In The Nigeria Political System? by kosovo(m): 11:28pm On Dec 31, 2008
We need to value the importance of simplicity, focus and living according to our values.
Re: Decamping; A Major Problem In The Nigeria Political System? by OutlukBabe(f): 2:55am On Jan 01, 2009
This is d samething that has bn disturbing about Nigerian politicians.

I had a previlage to meet with one Nigerian minister (name withheld) during Obj time in London. I tactically asked him his political ideology because he told me he was in the opposition party before. He said the his only political ideology is his aspiration to be powerfull. He said, he is a typical African man, who can do whatever he can to achieve power and fame.

I also read an interview with Dr Modibbo, one of the governorship candidates from Adamawa state last year. I just copied the question and his reponse was very funny. See the Q & A from the fellow:

Q You have been moving from one party to the other; you’re in ANPP, then in PDP and now a key figure of AC; don’t you think this is politics of opportunism rather than of ideology?
[b]A[/b]Is there any ideology in Nigerian politics? What is the ideological difference between PDP, ANPP and AC? Nigerian politics is politics for the struggle to obtain power and opportunity to serve your own people. There is no ideological distinction between all the Nigerian political parties. So, a political party, as far as I’m concerned, is just a platform to acquire power and serve people. It can be in PDP, it can be in AC and it can be in ANPP. What makes a party different is in the attitude of the leaders, the officers and members of the party. If the leaders and officers and members of the party believe in democracy, then they would have political due process and allow the rules of the game to be observed in the course of playing the game. If the leaders of the party do not believe in political due process, like those leaders of PDP in Adamawa State, then the best thing to do is to leave them. It would be worse for you if you just remain there and watch them, because so long as you are a focused politician, you know want you want, you know why you want power, you are not a politician who is just there to look for what to eat – I thank God I’m not looking for what to eat. So, I have a mission in politics and if I cannot achieve my mission to get opportunity to serve my state and my country in a particular platform, I don’t see anything wrong in jumping to another platform, so long as the platform I’m jumping to is more democratic than the other one.

Thats d kind of politicians we have.
Re: Decamping; A Major Problem In The Nigeria Political System? by kosovo(m): 3:03am On Jan 01, 2009
@OutlukBabe
There is no ideological distinction between all the Nigerian political parties. So, a political party, as far as I’m concerned, is just a platform to acquire power and serve people. It can be in PDP, it can be in AC and it can be in ANPP. What makes a party different is in the attitude of the leaders, the officers and members of the party.
i laugh in pidgin.

I have a mission in politics and if I cannot achieve my mission to get opportunity to serve my state and my country in a particular platform, I don’t see anything wrong in jumping to another platform, so long as the platform I’m jumping to is more democratic than the other one.
thats the dumbest thing i have ever read.

focused politician
I DOUBT!

we really got a long way to GO!
Re: Decamping; A Major Problem In The Nigeria Political System? by tpia: 3:05am On Jan 01, 2009
Re: Decamping; A Major Problem In The Nigeria Political System? by kosovo(m): 3:21am On Jan 01, 2009
@tpia
To forget one's purpose is the commonest form of stupidity.
i should have ignored you at the first instance, i never knew you were this DUMB!

I can't question your existence, an abortion would have done the miracle, but
how about leaving a child who's main aim is to annoy the general online population?

people changing parties affects your mundane fascist semi literate existence in what way?

You never heard of people switching parties before?

why don't you take a flying leap into oblivion just because politicians change parties.
i would have taken you to my doctor, but your case is HOPLESS

get a life.
Re: Decamping; A Major Problem In The Nigeria Political System? by tpia: 3:40am On Jan 01, 2009
Re: Decamping; A Major Problem In The Nigeria Political System? by kosovo(m): 4:12am On Jan 01, 2009
@tpia

you may be unaware hopeless is spelled with an E in the middle.
HOPELESS.
does that make you happy now?
what a waste.
Just like you have no idea what freedom means.
freedom can never be same thing as one's values and integrity.
misplaced reasoning, huh? yeah. i understand!

idiot.
huh?

infectors can be recognized by the misfortune they draw on them self, their turbulent past, their long line of broken relationship, their unstable careers, and the very force of their character, which sweeps you up and make you loose your reasoning.
do not enmesh yourself in trying to post. the other side of your infection is equally valid and understood.
Re: Decamping; A Major Problem In The Nigeria Political System? by vowiski(m): 6:24am On Jan 01, 2009
@tpia
stop fooling your self, everybody's watching. grin
Re: Decamping; A Major Problem In The Nigeria Political System? by vowiski(m): 6:27am On Jan 01, 2009
@kosovo
infectors can be recognized by the misfortune they draw on them self, their turbulent past, their long line of broken relationship, their unstable careers, and the very force of their character, which sweeps you up and make you loose your reasoning.
do not enmesh yourself in trying to post. the other side of your infection is equally valid and understood
na wa for you o.
m screaming. lol
Re: Decamping; A Major Problem In The Nigeria Political System? by kosovo(m): 12:18am On Jan 02, 2009
na wa for you o.
huh?
Re: Decamping; A Major Problem In The Nigeria Political System? by tpia: 12:36am On Jan 02, 2009
Re: Decamping; A Major Problem In The Nigeria Political System? by kosovo(m): 12:49am On Mar 08, 2009
Hold ur breath.
be right back.
Re: Decamping; A Major Problem In The Nigeria Political System? by chidichris(m): 8:33am On Mar 08, 2009
Tpia,
there are a lot of threads here where you can contribute and overlook the ones you are not familiar with. the act of forcing oneself to contribute in every thread creates rooms for fighting and abuses because most times fighters lack knowledge in that particular thread.

OutlukBabe,
if you are a babe living in london and you have opportunity to be with a minister under obj on one of his trips to london, i can stake my head, u are a useful tool to the recovery of nigeria's looted funds.
we all know what babes and ministers do especially on this type of trips so it is obvious u now own a property in choice area in abuja via that meeting.

on the issue of what the gubernatorial candidate in adamawa said, it may sound funny and dumb but that is the christian truth.
our leaders have no relationship whatsoever with ideology. the only lies i found in his statement remains searching for opportunity to serve his ppl. which ppl if i may ask?
opportunity to have power and loot and meet pretty nigerian girls abroad like what transpired between u and that minister whose name was withheld as your real name is also withheld here.
Re: Decamping; A Major Problem In The Nigeria Political System? by Dede1(m): 9:49am On Mar 08, 2009
Please folks, I urge the rise of tempers on Tpia’s post to recede. What the young lady is trying to convey is that Nigeria is a replica of hotel representing an entity devoid of any political ideology and the political parties represent the rooms marked with no differences on the ideological platforms.

The rooms have the same doors, beds, table, blinds and identical room services. In fact, some hotels are better than Nigeria because rooms and spaces could be rented for various purposes by different patrons. However, Nigeria presents the same patrons and the same purpose-to embezzle money and feel powerful.

Party witching or carpet crossing was made a thing of culture and tradition in Western Nigerian regional house of assembly when group of sons of the soil crossed carpet to deny Azikwe the premiership of western region Nigerian.
Re: Decamping; A Major Problem In The Nigeria Political System? by MrCrackles(m): 9:51am On Mar 08, 2009
Dede1:

Please folks, I urge the rise of tempers on Tpia’s post to recede. What the young lady is trying to convey is that Nigeria is a replica of hotel representing an entity devoid of any political ideology and the political parties represent the rooms marked with no differences on the ideological platforms.

The rooms have the same doors, beds, table, blinds and identical room services. In fact, some hotels are better than Nigeria because rooms and spaces could be rented for various purposes by different patrons. However, Nigeria presents the same patrons and the same purpose-to embezzle money and feel powerful.

Party witching or carpet crossing was made a thing of culture and tradition in Western Nigerian regional house of assembly when group of sons of the soil crossed carpet to deny Azikwe the premiership of western region Nigerian.

True!

Leave TPIA alone!
Re: Decamping; A Major Problem In The Nigeria Political System? by kosovo(m): 6:56am On Mar 09, 2009
ok
Re: Decamping; A Major Problem In The Nigeria Political System? by kosovo(m): 3:30pm On Dec 28, 2009

(1) (Reply)

There Are No Igbos In South South Only Migrants / South Africa's Navy Can Sink 60% Of Nigeria's Surface Fleet In Less Than An Hour / Abdulrahman Abdulrasaq: Kwara Won't Spare Suspected Looters Of Public Funds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.