Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,817 members, 7,810,136 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:28 PM

Building An App That Lets Users Locate A Power Source Nearest To Them. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Building An App That Lets Users Locate A Power Source Nearest To Them. (6261 Views)

Cost Of Building An App With More Features Than Uber / Laravel Tutorial: Building An E-commerce Web App - Part1 / Cost Of Building An Android App For A Magazine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Building An App That Lets Users Locate A Power Source Nearest To Them. by lordZOUGA(m): 12:36pm On Feb 06, 2015
We don't have steady power in this country, this implies that we don't always have power when we need it. But an app like this will help us find power even if we don't have it.

That is a step in the direction of having power all the time. If you can't get the power, you go to it. smiley

The data to be used for this will be crowd sourced of course. It will take time to build up the data but that should not be an issue.

The data will be open-sourced and so is this project. I think.

From what I can see, there is no reason not to build this app.

What do you think? or Who is interested in developing it?
Re: Building An App That Lets Users Locate A Power Source Nearest To Them. by jajad: 1:39pm On Feb 06, 2015
lordZOUGA:
We don't have steady power in this country, this implies that we don't always have power when we need it. But an app like this will help us find power even if we don't have it.

That is a step in the direction of having power all the time. If you can't get the power, you go to it. smiley

The data to be used for this will be crowd sourced of course. It will take time to build up the data but that should not be an issue.

The data will be open-sourced and so is this project. I think.

From what I can see, there is no reason not to build this app.

What do you think? or Who is interested in developing it?

I'm not sure I understand. How does one access, or go to this power?
Re: Building An App That Lets Users Locate A Power Source Nearest To Them. by lordZOUGA(m): 1:49pm On Feb 06, 2015
jajad:

I'm not sure I understand. How does one access this power?
The solution I have in mind is an app that shares the device's location whenever the device running the app starts charging. That's what I mean by power.

So once a location is shared, it will now be shown to other users of the app. This can be a visualization using a map or a compass like view pointing in the direction of the shared location.

Going to the location is up to the user. Doing that depends on the distance the user is to this source of power

you understand now?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Building An App That Lets Users Locate A Power Source Nearest To Them. by losprince(m): 1:59pm On Feb 06, 2015
Cool idea, but individual power locations sounds weird. Unless u will only make only power available in a central location known, like nepa.
Re: Building An App That Lets Users Locate A Power Source Nearest To Them. by lordZOUGA(m): 2:07pm On Feb 06, 2015
losprince:
Cool idea, but individual power locations sounds weird. Unless u will only make only power available in a central location known, like nepa.

I think you might have misunderstood the aim of this project. what this project will try to accomplish is to help people know the nearest place with power close to them. be it PHCN or Generator.

Hopefully, using this app, you will not have to chat people up to ask them "Do you have light?" or You want to move to a new location but you aren't sure how frequent PHCN supplies power to that area, You use this app and check that or you are on the move or stranded but your battery is low and you need to recharge immediately, this might direct you to a power source. (might be someone's house but if you really need to charge, you will find a way. smiley )
Re: Building An App That Lets Users Locate A Power Source Nearest To Them. by Seun(m): 3:04pm On Feb 06, 2015
Will those supplying the power be paid?
Re: Building An App That Lets Users Locate A Power Source Nearest To Them. by losprince(m): 3:18pm On Feb 06, 2015
lordZOUGA:

I think you might have misunderstood the aim of this project. what this project will try to accomplish is to help people know the nearest place with power close to them. be it PHCN or Generator.

Hopefully, using this app, you will not have to chat people up to ask them "Do you have light?" or You want to move to a new location but you aren't sure how frequent PHCN supplies power to that area, You use this app and check that or you are on the move or stranded but your battery is low and you need to recharge immediately, this might direct you to a power source. (might be someone's house but if you really need to charge, you will find a way. smiley )
now thats what am talking about wink pls focus on this. Thanks for the clarity cool
Re: Building An App That Lets Users Locate A Power Source Nearest To Them. by lordZOUGA(m): 3:18pm On Feb 06, 2015
Seun:
Will those supplying the power be paid?
That should ultimately depend on who the app directed you to and how you approached them.
although ideally, it will be preferable the owner of the power source does not charge unless it is the person's business.

If the the app directs someone to my house and the person is rude, I will probably decline or charge just for the sake of it. wink
Re: Building An App That Lets Users Locate A Power Source Nearest To Them. by Caracta(f): 3:57pm On Feb 06, 2015
1. What would happen to this app if the next president decide to fix power failure problem (that's a dream anyway)?

2. To use this app, I must have a phone and perhaps data plan, right? That means I must have some level of battery left before I can use the app and run to "uj sizzle's" house to charge my phone. Saves me some litres of fuel. Me likey cheesy

3. Does that mean any random person(s) can be directed to my house to stalk me, steal my generator or maliciously cut off my power source because they don't enjoy same? (Bad belle thingz) cheesy

4. Good idea I must confess. I'm only concerned about the security breach. Or do you have a way around it?

Again, nice one. Very brilliant.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Building An App That Lets Users Locate A Power Source Nearest To Them. by losprince(m): 3:59pm On Feb 06, 2015
Caracta:
1. What would happen to this app if the next president decide to fix power failure problem (that's a dream anyway)?

2. To use this app, I must have a phone and perhaps data plan, right? That means I must have some level of battery left before I can use the app and run to "uj sizzle's" house to charge my phone. Saves me some litres of fuel. Me likey cheesy

3. Does that mean any random person(s) can be directed to my house to stalk me, steal my generator or maliciously cut off my power source because they don't enjoy same? (Bad belle thingz) cheesy

4. Good idea I must confess. I'm only concerned about the security breach. Or do you have a way around it?

guy put these into consideration... the lady got points undecided

2 Likes

Re: Building An App That Lets Users Locate A Power Source Nearest To Them. by adexsimply(m): 4:02pm On Feb 06, 2015
Hmmm, there are many loopholes
Nice idea though
Re: Building An App That Lets Users Locate A Power Source Nearest To Them. by Caracta(f): 4:04pm On Feb 06, 2015
adexsimply:
Why you no buy portable generator ? the one wey go fit into your handbag?

Waiting for you to design/invent one. So I can visit you with it...with the deafening noise to drive you crazy and fuel leaking out like goat piss sad
Re: Building An App That Lets Users Locate A Power Source Nearest To Them. by jaybee3(m): 4:05pm On Feb 06, 2015
who is going to pay for the energy used?

How about you develop an app that suggests the best angle/position to harness the most energy from the sun (so long as the phone can be charged using some sort of inbuilt solar battery technology)?

1 Like

Re: Building An App That Lets Users Locate A Power Source Nearest To Them. by Appguru(m): 4:24pm On Feb 06, 2015
@lordZOUGA

Nice Idea.
What if the user is making use of a power bank?

It is not advisable to give away user location (lattitude & longitude). You may have troubles with google play. And also for security reasons.

I will advice you settle for street name or a certain radius.

BTW I would love to contribute. (Android, maybe J2ME, web app(API))
Re: Building An App That Lets Users Locate A Power Source Nearest To Them. by Funjosh(m): 4:46pm On Feb 06, 2015
Why not build and application that will automaticaly charge device once the battery is down.
Re: Building An App That Lets Users Locate A Power Source Nearest To Them. by GodMode: 5:28pm On Feb 06, 2015
Bad idea...

What happens when power problem is resolved

Create something that will make you lots of money and become an employerangry angryangry angry

This idea sucks cos its not profitableangry angryangry
Re: Building An App That Lets Users Locate A Power Source Nearest To Them. by lordZOUGA(m): 5:50pm On Feb 06, 2015
Caracta:
Well, it might stop being very useful in this country but I don't think Nigeria is the only country that has power problems

yeah, it needs internet. if your battery runs low, the app will send you a notification with the nearest location to charge your phone.

That doesn't seem alright. Users will be allowed the option of giving less precise locations like street names or maybe even town names. This might reduce the efficiency of the service but I can't think of a way to bypass that problem currently.

Or A way to share your power status to specific users can be created but that's a secondary feature, I think and should be considered only when the primary aim has been achieved.

I am glad that you think that smiley. Like I explained above, the security problem can be resolved to an extent but the app will be very useful.
Re: Building An App That Lets Users Locate A Power Source Nearest To Them. by lordZOUGA(m): 6:06pm On Feb 06, 2015
Appguru:
@lordZOUGA

Nice Idea.
What if the user is making use of a power bank?
nice insight. I think that can be identified.

It is not advisable to give away user location (lattitude & longitude). You may have troubles with google play. And also for security reasons.

I will advice you settle for street name or a certain radius.
I agree with you here. The specific location might be too insecure for the users.

BTW I would love to contribute. (Android, maybe J2ME, web app(API))
This is great. you are the first developer to sign up. cheesy
Re: Building An App That Lets Users Locate A Power Source Nearest To Them. by lordZOUGA(m): 6:08pm On Feb 06, 2015
Funjosh:
Why not build and application that will automaticaly charge device once the battery is down.
I am too dumb to be able to successfully build such application. smiley

3 Likes

Re: Building An App That Lets Users Locate A Power Source Nearest To Them. by kaboninc(m): 6:19pm On Feb 06, 2015
I do not think this project is specific in nature and can meet a specific need. If my battery is down and no light, I can go to the nearest barber's shop or super market store or baba ijebu shop to charge my battery.

Else I can call my friend with the remaining power (as the app will exhaust that last battery power before connecting).
Re: Building An App That Lets Users Locate A Power Source Nearest To Them. by lordZOUGA(m): 6:49pm On Feb 06, 2015
kaboninc:
I do not think this project is specific in nature and can meet a specific need. If my battery is down and no light, I can go to the nearest barber's shop or super market store or baba ijebu shop to charge my battery.

Else I can call my friend with the remaining power (as the app will exhaust that last battery power before connecting).
The app will be redundant if it has to wait for you to refresh it in-order to get the data you need.
instead of calling your friend or having to walk to the nearest supermarket or the barber shop, the app might already have something like this for you:

Kaboninc's barber: No light.
Kaboninc's supermarket: No light.
Kaboninc's friend: has light.

but of course, nothing beats going to those locations and verifying them yourself.

The goal of this project might appear fuzzy right now but that is why this thread exists. To fine tune the goal. smiley
Re: Building An App That Lets Users Locate A Power Source Nearest To Them. by kaboninc(m): 7:30pm On Feb 06, 2015
lordZOUGA:

The app will be redundant if it has to wait for you to refresh it in-order to get the data you need.
instead of calling your friend or having to walk to the nearest supermarket or the barber shop, the app might already have something like this for you:

Kaboninc's barber: No light.
Kaboninc's supermarket: No light.
Kaboninc's friend: has light.

but of course, nothing beats going to those locations and verifying them yourself.

The goal of this project might appear fuzzy right now but that is why this thread exists. To fine tune the goal. smiley

Lol. Firstly the app will target different platforms. But if for the more common platforms like the Android, then there would be no need for a refresh. That in itself consumes power.

Maybe you should be specific on how you think the app will know if the barber's shop or supermarket store or friends house has electricity if maybe the phones are switched off and charging.
Re: Building An App That Lets Users Locate A Power Source Nearest To Them. by ToyinDipo(m): 8:13pm On Feb 06, 2015
GodMode:
Bad idea...

What happens when power problem is resolved

Create something that will make you lots of money and become an employerangry angryangry angry

This idea sucks cos its not profitableangry angryangry

My thoughts too, Nigeria is probably moving towards having stable power supply, and here comes an idea like this.
Re: Building An App That Lets Users Locate A Power Source Nearest To Them. by GodMode: 9:24pm On Feb 06, 2015
kaboninc:

Lol. Firstly the app will target different platforms. But if for the more common platforms like the Android, then there would be no need for a refresh. That in itself consumes power.

Maybe you should be specific on how you think the app will know if the barber's shop or supermarket store or friends house has electricity if maybe the phones are switched off and charging.

You're new to programming especially android programming... There are codes to detect
when:
Your battery is charging
Your battery is low
Your battery is full
in android.

The app will know if the barber's shop, supermarket store or friends house has electricity by detecting if their phones are charging(anyone who has installed the app).

What his trying to do is achievable but not profitable..

1 Like

Re: Building An App That Lets Users Locate A Power Source Nearest To Them. by JackOfAllTrades: 10:44pm On Feb 06, 2015
GodMode:

You're new to programming especially android programming... There are codes to detect
when:
Your battery is charging
Your battery is low
Your battery is full
in android.

The app will know if the barber's shop, supermarket store or friends house has electricity by detecting if their phones are charging(anyone who has installed the app).

The app will never know when:
Your battery is charging
Your battery is low
Your battery is full
in android if the device is switched off
Re: Building An App That Lets Users Locate A Power Source Nearest To Them. by kaboninc(m): 10:45pm On Feb 06, 2015
GodMode:

when:
Your battery is charging
Your battery is low
Your battery is full
in android.

Maybe you did not understand my question especially the part that deals with the phone DEAD/SWITCHED OFF but charging when the app would be needed. If that can be implemented, fine good to go.

However like you said, it is not profitable which for me, is not worth going forward.

Biko am not trying to discourage anyone oh. You can go on with it and add it to your portfolio.
Re: Building An App That Lets Users Locate A Power Source Nearest To Them. by lordZOUGA(m): 11:57pm On Feb 06, 2015
kaboninc:

The need for refreshing means the app will run in the background and using the necessary amount of power just like any other app that does background processing on your device.

In android there are APIs to detect if a device is being charged. However, I don't think apps run when a phone is switched off. the aim of the app isn't to just detect if your phone is charging but to also share that it is charging to other users. A phone that is switched off can't do that.
Re: Building An App That Lets Users Locate A Power Source Nearest To Them. by WhiZTiM(m): 2:34am On Feb 07, 2015
Funjosh:
*Fall's off the Moon* .I have to break my silence on this one... . . ...Ingenious!

--------
Great idea. Simple anonymous beacons for electricity. . .
I think, when you plug your phone, the App should ASK 'every' time whether or not You want to share power source... <<The App should naturally have a bias for "No">>
-------
Funjosh, I will get back to you when I get to the moon.

1 Like

Re: Building An App That Lets Users Locate A Power Source Nearest To Them. by Borwe: 6:20am On Feb 07, 2015
Hmm, here is another way.
Instead of basing your app on power how about job vacancies.
So lets say like some small shop has a shop keeper needed, they can pay you a small fee and you post there details on your app about their vacancy. Now any user who downloads your app and opens it with internet connection enabled, he would see the details of job vacancies, and because its android the location can be mapped into google maps. Think about it, you will have billions of customers looking to hire someone, and this app will allow for the common none-skilled person to be able to applay for a job with other people in the same category and the small company or shop has a wider variety to choose from off potential employees, so they choose the best.

I live in Kenya, would be happy to work with you to create this app and use it in my country also.

PLUS: Once the company gets a vacany filled they inform you and you take them off, hence increasing efficiency, pottential employees won't go there anymore and waste their time instead look for another vacant job location.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pattern Chaser In Javascript: Coding Challenge / MY JOURNEY WITH PYTHON!!! / [Help Request ] I Want To Learn Programming, what are the requirements

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.