Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,226 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:43 AM

Presidency Lists Grouse With February Polls Date - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidency Lists Grouse With February Polls Date (25859 Views)

Presidency Lists Grouse With February Polls Date / 2015 Elections: February Polls Should Not Hold — Balarabe Musa / Another Great Man Of God Gives Clear Verdict About February Polls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Presidency Lists Grouse With February Polls Date by TunjiMsp: 9:09pm On Feb 06, 2015
ogene007:
The only people who against the shift in date are the people who have perfected strategies to unleash violence against the electorate in the northern part of the country, especially against the supporters of the incumbent president. Unfortunately for them, GEJ as the Chief Security Officer of the country has the final say as to when elections can take place with the guarantee of security for the entire process. It is not the call of APC who are simply involved in sheer noise making. Free and fair elections is one in which there is no threat of violence or intimidation against any supporter of any of the political parties, apart from the integrity of the process in itself. The elections will be shifted by 8 weeks to ensure that the process is guaranteed to truly be free and fair. GEJ till 2019.
GEJ till dollar becomes 400naira .I.diot
Re: Presidency Lists Grouse With February Polls Date by eniyanman: 9:10pm On Feb 06, 2015
For starters, only INEC not Jonathan determines when the election will hold or where it is safe to hold. Jonathan cannot usurp INEC's power.
Also, the LGAs which elections may not hold constitute less than 2% of the population. Because much of this population is displaced in other areas, the voting population affected will be closer to 1%. This exclusion will only be a problem if the winning margin is less than 1% which is unlikely. This means even if elections hold in these LGAs, the outcom of the election will be not be different to if elections hadn't held.
Finally, there are 2 sets of elections next week. National Assembly and Presidential. How does the security situation in Bags affect the elections for Lagos West Senatorial district, for example? How does it affect Sokoto Central?

At the heart of this matter is an attempt to short circuit the wish of the people. Thanksfully, INEC has shown the courage of conviction and has asserted its independence. If people don't collect their PVCs, how is that INEC' fault. In any case, voter turnout is usually 50%. If collection if PVCs is 10-15% higher than this level, INEC is good to go.

Justbright:

The Presidency on Friday listed some of the reasons it feels that going ahead with the February dates for the general elections as scheduled by the Independent National Electoral Commission can “throw the country into turmoil and confusion.”

It however said President Goodluck Jonathan would not engage in any form of subterfuge to pressurise INEC to change the dates of the elections.

The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Public Affairs, Dr. Doyin Okupe, stated these in Abuja at a press conference called to clarify the outcome of the Council of State meeting held on Thursday.

Okupe said there was no time during the meeting held inside the Presidential Villa, Abuja, when the chairman of INEC, Prof. Attahiru Jega, insisted on the February dates as quoted by some media reports.

He listed the level of preparedness of the electoral body and security situation in some parts of the country as some of the reasons why it will be wise to revisit the February dates.

On preparation, Okupe said in all INEC’s submissions at the meeting, the only process that was 100% concluded was the preparation and availability of the voters register.

He claimed that all other processes including provision, distribution and collection of PVCs, printing of ballot papers, distribution of verification machines and other non –sensitive materials, recruitment and training of ad hoc staff are all “work in progress.”

He added that Jega himself admitted that given a little more time, INEC would be in a better position to perfect the processes and its readiness for the elections.

He said, “Also in his presentations to the Council, the INEC Chairman, stated clearly that for the electoral process to be free, fair, and credible,  there are other matters which were not under the control of INEC, principal among which is the issue of provision and guarantee of security of lives and properties.

“The Security Chiefs were unanimous in their advice to the Council that it will be impossible for now for them to guarantee security of electoral materials, INEC Staff, and the voting population in the areas currently engulfed by the war against insurgency.”

Okupe said while some opinions were proffered that elections could be allowed to hold on February 14 in 32 states not affected by insurgency, Jonathan made it clear that he would not allow an election where some people will be excluded for no fault of theirs.

He quoted the President as further saying that endorsing such would tend to confirm the falsehood already being propagated in some parts of the country that he was encouraging the war in the North East to ensure that voters in the APC states were not allowed to vote in the 2015 elections.

He added, “For the avoidance of doubt, Nigerians are hereby re-assured that there has never been, and never shall be any plan to cancel the 2015 elections, for any reasons whatsoever. It will not happen, and the May 29th date for the swearing-in is sacrosanct. All talks about interim government arrangement is pure fiction.

“The consideration behind the possibility of change of date is to allow those who may be disfranchised from voting on the 14th February to have an opportunity to exercise their lawful rights to vote and participate in the general elections.

“The new wave of successes being recorded by the Military in the War against insurgency, especially with the arrival of new effective combatant equipment and machinery, plus the newly revamped cross border co-operation with Niger, Chad and Cameroonian Military, offer a very genuine hope that in a very short while, the situation in the affected states will be brought under such reasonable control that will guarantee safety of the electoral process and electorate in the war front region of the North–East at a no distant future.

“We repeat that the only set of people who stand to benefit from a shift in election dates are Nigerians who desire to vote and have not been able to collect their Permanent Voters Cards and other innocent citizens living in the war zone who may not be able to vote on the 14th February.

“We also wish to recollect that in 2003, 2007, and 2011 the elections were held in April, and the hand over date was not affected.

“We therefore challenge the opposition to tell Nigerians in clear terms, what dangers the change of date from February 14th portends to the electoral process or to the Nigerian electorate. It will also be good if the opposition tells us who stands to benefit or be disadvantaged from any shifting of date and how.”

Okupe, while saying that INEC was not fully ready for the elections, dared the commission to direct its Resident Electoral Commissioners to swear to an affidavit to prove their readiness for the polls.

“It will be very re-assuring if the INEC can get its RECs to attach their state of readiness to a sworn affidavit and show it to Nigerians.

“The interest of this government is to ensure that we do not have a rancorous and poorly conducted general elections that will throw the country into turmoil and confusion with the likelihood of an unnecessary internal and external rejection and condemnation,” he said.

Okupe claimed that in Sokoto State, nine local government areas are yet to receive PVC for the continuous voters registration, barely nine days to the election.

He also claimed that the majority of the 960,000 ad hoc staff needed by the commission are yet to be recruited and trained especially on the operations of card readers that are yet to be made available.

He added that Lagos State is yet to receive a balance of about 12,000 card readers for elections

Presidency lists grouse with February polls date
Via Top 20 News Websites.
http://www.punchng.com/news/presidency-lists-grouse-with-february-po
Re: Presidency Lists Grouse With February Polls Date by yomanovic: 9:14pm On Feb 06, 2015
J12:
Jega thinks this election is child's play. I doubt if this man is mentally sound, he doesn't understand that this year's elections are pivotal to our democratic and social progress.

His PVC distribution and collection plan is useless and stupid. I went to INEC office in Area 10 to collect my PVC this morning only to be told I can't collect it because I registered in Enugu. I can't imagine how many nigerians are like me, who registered in a different state in 2010/2011 and left their area of registration permanently thereafter but can't vote in the upcoming elections because Jega can't use his brains properly even though he is a professor.

Jega must go after 2015.

INEC has the sole responsibility of sensitizing and informing eligible voters of the status of the TVC's and PVS. Technology has made it extremely easy to achieve this.

So if I registered as a voter in lets say, in an insurgency infested area like Baga in 2010/2011 and left, you expect me to go back to Baga and collect my PVC?

Or what if registered in lagos in 2011 and I no longer live in lagos and I am now disabled because I have an accident? That means i'm disenfranchised.

Why can't INEC have a centralised and publicly accessible database where users can check the status of their cards. INEC is not the NPC or NIMC, their activities are continuous and important.

Na wa ohhhh!!! There are times when my jaw drops because of what Nigerians do or say. You talk as if you are not in this country, like say you na oyinbo and there is nothing good about Nigeria.
For your information, if they postpone this election to anytime of their choice, some people will still not see their pvc to collect. So its better to allow those who have collected theirs to vote. May 29 must stand. Sai Nigeria!!!!
Re: Presidency Lists Grouse With February Polls Date by EnigmAries(m): 9:17pm On Feb 06, 2015
ARES:

dude do you have any idea that you live in 2015. why dont you go back to where you open your bank account to withdraw money..... when people are told to embrace technology they resort to name calling
I'm also in Abuja and I registered in Abuja in 2011, but for political reasons, I have to vote in my PU of origin. I simple went to my state INEC Office, applied for tranfer and provided the details like the LG, ward and the PU I'd like to transfer to and I just got my PVC today. I didn't just appear there today asking for PVC when I know I've not done the necessary thing. If he wants to transfer his voter card to Abuja he should have request to do that in his present location since last year. How can he register in Enugu and want to collect PVC in Abuja? So INEC should tell everyone that registered in Enugu to come to Abuja just because he is in Abuja? It's senseless.

1 Like

Re: Presidency Lists Grouse With February Polls Date by Nobody: 9:20pm On Feb 06, 2015
OLADD:

Why are you like this? Is Fashola's PVC in INEC's office, or didn't you hear that he couldn't find his name in the register?
His card is at his polling unit.

tribune.com.ng/news/news-headlines/item/28572-i-won-t-collect-my-pvc-until-lagosians-collect-theirs-fashola
Re: Presidency Lists Grouse With February Polls Date by eniyanman: 9:28pm On Feb 06, 2015
J12:
Jega thinks this election is child's play. I doubt if this man is mentally sound, he doesn't understand that this year's elections are pivotal to our democratic and social progress.

His PVC distribution and collection plan is useless and stupid. I went to INEC office in Area 10 to collect my PVC this morning only to be told I can't collect it because I registered in Enugu. I can't imagine how many nigerians are like me, who registered in a different state in 2010/2011 and left their area of registration permanently thereafter but can't vote in the upcoming elections because Jega can't use his brains properly even though he is a professor.

Jega must go after 2015.

INEC has the sole responsibility of sensitizing and informing eligible voters of the status of the TVC's and PVS. Technology has made it extremely easy to achieve this.

So if I registered as a voter in lets say, in an insurgency infested area like Baga in 2010/2011 and left, you expect me to go back to Baga and collect my PVC?

Or what if registered in lagos in 2011 and I no longer live in lagos and I am now disabled because I have an accident? That means i'm disenfranchised.

Why can't INEC have a centralised and publicly accessible database where users can check the status of their cards. INEC is not the NPC or NIMC, their activities are continuous and important.

Let's assume you didn't register in Baja but Benue. But you now live in Bauchi. Will you expect INEC to bring your PVC to Bauchi assuming you are unable to afford travel to Benue? If they don't, have you been disenfranchised?
INEC is not responsible for security in the country. As insecurity still persists after 3 state of emergency acts, it is obvious who to blame.
Ultimately, there was enough to time for people to collect the PVCs. You have no one but yourself to blame if you leave collection till too late. INEC cannot force collection.

1 Like

Re: Presidency Lists Grouse With February Polls Date by VolvoS60(m): 9:29pm On Feb 06, 2015
Akainzo:

You really have to stop all this your talk about 21st Century if you cannot apply that advancement to think things through.

A PVC is not just a data in a centralized database as elections are Location based. No one or country does what you are advocating as it will make nonsense of the voting system.

Number of registered voters in a particular location is used to determine the winner of that election. For example, if 3 Million Register in PH, 500 cannot decide to go and vote in Owerri as it would distort the data and affect the decision on who won and who lost.
Remember that outside of getting the highest number of votes cast nationwide, a President must also get 25% of votes cast in 2/3 of the states. This implies that the location of the votes matter.

This is why even though the database is centralized, the data is localised.

^^^
Interesting arguments from all sides.

I do think the poster you cited has a point. Some voters (for any number of reasons) will be in a different location (different from the point of registration) on February 14th. What happens to them? I can imagine drivers, transporters, and any number of migrant, mobile workers will find themselves in this position. And it may be difficult for such people to predict their movements with a measure of certainty before election day. The system has to protect such people.

But your point about Nigeria's electoral rules on spread and how it decides the winner is also crucial. A middle ground solution (for future elections - it is too late for our election next week angry) can be found. I would imagine that the majority of voters in countries worldwide (Nigeria included) will indeed vote in places where they registered. For future elections here in Nigeria, the minority of voters who find themselves away from their point of registration (for whatever reason) should be accommodated by the system and allowed to vote wherever they find themselves. After all, they are not likely (as a proportion of the total voting public) to be statistically significant (and thus distort the rules on voter spread). The technology to make it happen smoothly does exist, as one poster has pointed out.

The US system does allow voters (under certain conditions) to cast absentee ballots, so there is a precedent to what the fellow you quoted is proposing.

1 Like

Re: Presidency Lists Grouse With February Polls Date by VolvoS60(m): 9:31pm On Feb 06, 2015
ARES:

its ok..... i wont resort to name calling with a kid. GEJ win or GMB win, it has absolutely no effect on me or my status. everytime i speak to you so called youths in Nigeria, you all amaze me in a very negative way.

let me educate you a little about centralized data bank.
Because you have a unique finger pint and face structure, dont you think it will be possible that you relocate from Enugu to abj and when you want to pick up your PVC, you give your name, and put in your finger print, that way Inec can print out a new one for you and automatically send a message to void your card in Enugu

Is this really that hard to phantom. but like i said earlier, GEJ or GMB win or lose, get hit by a bus or wins the lottery, it has no effect on me.

you kids need to enter the 21st century..... it has been running for almost 15 years now

^^^
Interesting viewpoint.

1 Like

Re: Presidency Lists Grouse With February Polls Date by EdwinOse: 9:35pm On Feb 06, 2015
Obiagelli:
Why is this government so scared of elections? This problems didn't stop you from holding elections in ekiti and osun

You are one lady that breathes and thinks from her anus.
Re: Presidency Lists Grouse With February Polls Date by grabs(m): 9:35pm On Feb 06, 2015
doctokwus:
He has finally shown his hand.
President Jonathan wishes to truncate this electoral process and force himself on Nigerians.
It shd not be allowed to happen.
Why didn't he think of security concerns in the north east while all the killings were going on?Its now he is staring embarrassing defeat in the face,he wants to use underhand tactics to shift this elections.
There would an automatic uplift in Nigeria if by Feb 15 the results would have signalled his defeat;even if he stays till may 29.

Why are you such an irredeemable fool?
But a continuing uncertainty over his status beyond Feb 14 can only cause further havoc,mischief and sinister plots and outright further destruction of the Nigerian economy.
We shd all put pressure on INEC not to put the nation into further misery by shifting this presidential elections beyond Feb 14.
No to shift in any guise!
Febuari!!
God help us fight the enemies of Nigeria and redeem us from this darkness we av been since this govt assumed power.
Re: Presidency Lists Grouse With February Polls Date by adanny01(m): 9:35pm On Feb 06, 2015
J12:

Jega must go after 2015.

Am sorry, but you are not true to yourself for going to Area 10 in Abuja when you actually registered in Enugu. You wasted that effort and should not blame INEC.

I do understand that the system was flawed for not additing an option during registration for where to collected the PVC. If they did that, you or many of my friends that registered across the country during their service year will not have been disenfranchised.

I who is possession of my PVC still have to travel 900km to vote. Why cant you go to Enugu by 12th or 13th get your PVC vote 14th and come back. Thats what i have to do, if you wont, please allow those that are ready to sacrifice for their country to.

What Jega achieved is cleaning up there register for multiple registrations and reducing mutiple voting. The next aim is to continually update the register and accomodate for voter mobility. Its too late and too big a task to embark even if the elections is postponed by a year. Sorting will start creating omissions and complications. If 60% of PVCs are distributed, is very good enough for me. Move elections by 3 months, you still wont go to Enugu. So, elections must hold!
Re: Presidency Lists Grouse With February Polls Date by tbaba1234: 9:36pm On Feb 06, 2015
Marvin67:

Thanks. Let me answer your questions.

The truth is, it would never be 100% safe to have elections, and we'd never be 100% ready, but one thing we should also note is that the present situation gives whoever loses, very good reasons to take to court for the annulment of the elections. I don't believe any party would gain or lose if the election is postponed, the one set of people who'd gain are those whose pvc's are unavailable presently.
we're sitting on a timebomb in Nigeria. If election holds next week, the loser has very good reasons to reject the result, which would lead to violence. If it is shifted, it also gives the loser very good reasons to reject it which would also lead to violence. Either ways my bro, we're on a timebomb, but as I said earlier only those who are yet to have their pvc's would benefit from the shifting.

Almost 70% of PVCs have been given out, that is a good figure.

There is no better time to have the election.. Let it be done with .

1 Like

Re: Presidency Lists Grouse With February Polls Date by coldFLARES1(m): 9:39pm On Feb 06, 2015
Burger01:
We no gree. Election must hold Febuhari 14th, 2015.angry
Declare public holiday for collection of PVCs for those who have interest...
PVC is not the problem here, southerners often time act indifferent to matters of election: they won't register until you threaten them with some loss of opportunity as a consequence. The northerner on the other hand could make a great personal sacrifice to be part of the process, however lowly placed he is.
PDP thought Nigerians could pardon the sins of Jonathan until they came face to face with reality during their campaign rounds. To make matters worse, the stats favour the opposition candidate and so everything has to be done: name calling, character assasination, threats of war, connivance of 'friendly' political parties etc.
Interestingly, this whole postponement ish is not about the preparedness or lack of it by INEC. As a matter of fact, all logistical constrains can be taken care of with funds' availability. It has to be emphasized that Jonathan would lose even if it postponed by three months.
Contrary to what they say, this option is to allow GEJ/PDP the time to get a judgement that would get GMB out of the way since a frendly judge has been enlisted and various contestations are already in court.
Let the fireworks begin!
Re: Presidency Lists Grouse With February Polls Date by kazmanbanjoko(m): 9:43pm On Feb 06, 2015
The facts are Not reasonable to me

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Presidency Lists Grouse With February Polls Date by linuxuser(m): 9:50pm On Feb 06, 2015
To those of us agitating of voting just any where simply because you have a Voters card. Unfortunately it does not work like that. I do not know of other countries but at least I know in the UK, you CAN ONLY VOTE IN THE PLACE WHERE YOU REGISTERED. You cannot register at San Gari in Kano and go and vote in Zoo Road in Kano. Of course you can do a postal vote but voting just any where is simply impossible. Simple common sense should tell us that the ability to vote any where will only lead to unimaginable fraud.

hedonistic:

Well said. I also find it ridiculous that even with a PVC, one cannot vote at any polling booth closest to you nationwide. You can only vote in the ward you registered! and collected your voter's card.

So if I have relocated from the area or state that I registered, my PVC is useless on Election day since I wouldn't be allowed to use it in my new location. I need some clarification in this regard.
Re: Presidency Lists Grouse With February Polls Date by OLADD: 9:52pm On Feb 06, 2015
Obiagelli:

His card is at his polling unit.

tribune.com.ng/news/news-headlines/item/28572-i-won-t-collect-my-pvc-until-lagosians-collect-theirs-fashola

Fashola's case is just one of the numerous anomalies widely reported. His case was given accelerated hearing apparently due to his status but what's the fate of ordinary Nigerians who were(and are still) faced with similar problem? What do you take from Balarabe Musa's exposé on INEC"s complicity in tilting PVC distribution to favour Buhari's stronghold? If Balarabe (a sworn critic of GEJ) could jettison tribal and political considerations to say a glaring truth, don't you forsee anarchy in the land? The fact is that INEC's rank and file has been massively compromised but Jonathan WILL prevail eventually. Mark my words.
Re: Presidency Lists Grouse With February Polls Date by Marvin67: 9:53pm On Feb 06, 2015
DDeliverer:

Can you throw more light on this?

Let's look at this scenario. Elections are postponed and APC eventually loses. You think they'd ever accept that result?
Re: Presidency Lists Grouse With February Polls Date by Nobody: 9:57pm On Feb 06, 2015
OLADD:

Fashola's case is just one of the numerous anomalies widely reported. His case was given accelerated hearing apparently due to his status but what's the fate of ordinary Nigerians who were(and are still) faced with similar fate? What do you take from Balarabe Musa's exposé on INEC"s complicity in tilting PVC distribution to favour Buhari's stronghold? If Balarabe (a sworn critic of GEJ) could jettison tribal and political considerations to say a glaring truth, don't you forsee anarchy in the land? The fact is that INEC's rank and file has been massively compromised but Jonathan WILL prevail eventually. Mark my words.
Abeg go and get your PVC. You have a week to do so
Re: Presidency Lists Grouse With February Polls Date by hedonistic: 10:21pm On Feb 06, 2015
linuxuser:
To those of us agitating of voting just any where simply because you have a Voters card. Unfortunately it does not work like that. I do not know of other countries but at least I know in the UK, you CAN ONLY VOTE IN THE PLACE WHERE YOU REGISTERED. You cannot register at San Gari in Kano and go and vote in Zoo Road in Kano. Of course you can do a postal vote but voting just any where is simply impossible. Simple common sense should tell us that the ability to vote any where will only lead to unimaginable fraud.

In the UK and much of the advanced world they don't allow this sort of outrageous time lag between voter registration and actual voting (2011 - 2015). Registration is usually an ongoing process, and pre-voting re-registration is a must shortly before the election - when you are told the polling place you will vote (usually near your residence as indicated by you in the most recent registration round). This is simple planning.

I don't think it makes sense to hand out PVCs based on 2011 info without leaving any room for modification as and when necessary. Only God knows how many millions of so-called PVC holders would be disenfranchised because of this lapse. I can guess that PVC holders who would not be able to vote for this reason significantly outnumber those who have not collected their PVCs. Numerous people have changed address since 2011, numerous others registered in school, near their workplaces or businesses, during their NYSC, or other places that were convenient for them at the time. On election day they wouldn't be able to vote, which means that the useless PVCs were collected just to fulfill all righteousness or to serve as an alternative ID card for banking transactions and all that. Surely, there is a commonsensical way around these things. This is 2015, not 1960. We can't be stuck in our typical mediocre way of doing things.
Re: Presidency Lists Grouse With February Polls Date by sweetgala(m): 10:43pm On Feb 06, 2015
INEC FAILURE IS JONATHAN'S FAILURE

GEJ made a public promise to Obama , Ban Ki Moon and other world Leaders to effect a free and fair election in 2015

What has his administration been doing allowing INEC to linger thus.
Re: Presidency Lists Grouse With February Polls Date by sweetgala(m): 10:53pm On Feb 06, 2015
sanmibukunmi:
To be frank, I won't be surprised if this elections flops. Inec is obviously not ready but the opposition is putting pressure on the FG. It is this same opposition that will accuse the govt of foul play if the elections turn out bad....why can't we just be patient to do the right things the right way to as to get the very best results.....

The elections should have been postponed latest January 2015, far back as 5 months ago INEC have been having difficulties registering voters and scoring milestones as required. The president should have taken the initiative that INEC need to be empowered with more staff or the election backdated till April.

As concerns this election Jega has a zero score thus far. The whole brouhaha of the Ekiti and Osun etc elections also didn't help because it stole the attention of INEC from the national elections
Re: Presidency Lists Grouse With February Polls Date by OkikiOluwa1(m): 10:55pm On Feb 06, 2015
Obiagelli:
Why is this government so scared of elections? This problems didn't stop you from holding elections in ekiti and osun
Actually,Osun & Ekiti are just 2 states.
Last Bullet

This time around, its the election for the whole of Nigeria.

I v known from day one that the Feb 14 day ll be shifted.

INEC didn't carry out a proper realistic plan on the election.
Several people haven't gotten their PVC.

This ll not give a balanced voting

1 Like

Re: Presidency Lists Grouse With February Polls Date by muzzol: 10:56pm On Feb 06, 2015
J12:

Jega must go after 2015.

Have you applied for the transfer of your registration from Enugu to Abuja? If not, with all apology, you are absolutely wrong with your submission as even fools are aware of that process.
Re: Presidency Lists Grouse With February Polls Date by muzzol: 11:05pm On Feb 06, 2015
Okupe wants RECs to present affidavits assuring of successful elections if it goes ahead without postponement. Laughable, what is good for the goose is also good for the gander, Jonathan should swear affidavit that there will be peace and return of all IDPs to their land if elections are postponed. Simple.
Re: Presidency Lists Grouse With February Polls Date by wo1F(m): 11:12pm On Feb 06, 2015
Ideyontop:

May God have mercy upon you! I see you have lost your sense of reasoning and blinded by your own selfish opinions.

Forget about PDP and APC and open your eyes to the reality on ground. INEC is not ready!

That girl is a lost cause. I think she might be a har1ot in real life. Its just so terrible.
Our people have chronic comprehension issues. Imagine this well laid out submissions is been dismissed with a wave of hand by this sorry apologists.
INEC has once again made a mess of themselves. Its a shame people are not directing their virtuperations at INEC but would instead heap them at the easy target Jonathan. INEC is not ready and that's the truth.
A key take away from what Okupe said is that APC should tell us who stands to gain and who stands to loose as well as how if this election is shifted.
Another important question someone asked and was shouted down is why in 2015 a supposedly PVC that has a micro chip can't be used to vote anywhere in the country as opposed to the norm of voting in the ward you registered.
These are the issues begging to be addressed not some cheap hogwash propaganda being peddled by low lives like Berem and Barcanista
Re: Presidency Lists Grouse With February Polls Date by MadCow1: 11:25pm On Feb 06, 2015
lucrownt:
Postponing these elections will bring about violence. What has INEC been doing for 4 years?. If someone can please explain this I will be overwhelmingly joyful..

Ask Jonathan when he approved INECs budget and when he released the funds to INEC.

Don't blame JEGA, Jonathan has been planning to frustrate this election si centre he saw his popularity had fallen lower than the Naira had fallen against the dollar..

Wether them postpone the election date or not, all I know be say
Re: Presidency Lists Grouse With February Polls Date by agabusta: 11:28pm On Feb 06, 2015
J12:

Honestly, you are the daft one here.

Pls keep quiet. You are sounding like an educated illiterate. If indeed you are interested in participating in the elections, then you should have made early enquiries from INEC or other sources on how you can go about voting in a place other than where you registered.

INEC has spent huge funds on enlightening people that you can only vote at the place you registered, as it has always been.

I'm so disappointed this is coming from a supposedly educated person who should know better and in turn educate others.

As of now, that is how INEC operates as stipulated by the electoral act. INEC is not a lawless organisation that does how it wants. It's activities are guided by provisions of the law!

This law has also made a provision for the scenario you experienced, and what the law states is that you can apply to INEC to transfer your registration details to another preferred location within the country "THIRTY DAYS BEFORE THE COMMENCEMENT OF AN ELECTION IN THE STATE YOU WANT TO TRANSFER TO".

This law was made by the NA and given to INEC to operate with. You are obviously ignorant of this provision which is pardonable, but where your ignorance smirks of stupidity is in your failure to make the proper enquiries or visit the INEC website to educate yourself!

You have the time to come to nairaland to spew trash but you find it difficult to go to INEC website to educate yourself. Not only has the standard of education fallen among the Nigerian youths, the standard of reasoning seems to have crashed as well.

I also changed my location and I got all this information from the INEC website. I wrote an application and took it to INEC office and the transfer was done for me late last Dec. Though it was a little bit stressful but it was done.

Pls try to educate yourself more.

And for your information, there is indeed a database on INEC website where you can confirm if your data (and in effect, your card) is with INEC. Just go to INEC site pls before yarning trash.

2 Likes

Re: Presidency Lists Grouse With February Polls Date by ogene007: 11:32pm On Feb 06, 2015
TunjiMsp:
GEJ till dollar becomes 400naira .I.diot
Dollar will fall beyond 400 naira to a dollar if we allow the cattle rearer and people like you who are not only deluded, but are also smoking the weed from thiefnnubu, to come into power, God forbid. You and your evil Jihadist 'messiah' will never succeed in your devilish plans to destroy our culture and way of life. GEJ till 2019.
Re: Presidency Lists Grouse With February Polls Date by agabusta: 11:40pm On Feb 06, 2015
adioolayi:
This issue of PVC collection has clearly shown that many Nigerians who called themselves literate especially the internet users are not!
Firstly, in 2014 INEC announced that 2011 registered voters should pick PVC and peradventure your name is not on the register, you should do reregistration.
Secondly, INEC made it clear that you can only get your PVC the unit or LG where u registered and thats where you can vote. Additionally, if you've relocated, you should ask for transfer of your PVC to your new place by making a request through your new INEC LGA resident officer.
Finally, all those who registered or reregistered in 2014 their PVC is ready.

With all this information available online even on different forum like NL, some people still find it difficult to get their PVC! So many were nonchalant last year, thinking their 2011 TVC was still valid, only for them to find out that they were actually suppose to reregister! So many also failed to make a request for transfer of their PVC and now they are crying foul!
All I know is that a serious minded Nigerian, who really want to perform his or her civic duty would have played by the rules and instructions of INEC.
INEC is spot on in all her decisions ..Rule is Rule!!!!

God bless you! As I stated in my earlier post, not only has standard of education fallen, standard of reasoning has greatly fallen as well. I can't just imagine that educated people will be talking like this. People that are supposed to educate those that are not educated.

Someone like that poster you quoted instead of educating a crowd of angry semi-illiterates, will even be inciting them that indeed INEC has not carried out its duties. I'm just so so disappointed.

1 Like

Re: Presidency Lists Grouse With February Polls Date by bhouze(m): 12:12am On Feb 07, 2015
PhockPhockMan:
"We therefore challenge the opposition to tell Nigerians in clear terms, what dangers the change of date from February 14th portends to the electoral process or to the Nigerian electorate. It will also be good if the opposition tells us who stands to benefit or be disadvantaged from any shifting of date and how.”

Okupe.

The disadvantage is that the electorates are suffering from the economic crisis partly caused by the election.
Re: Presidency Lists Grouse With February Polls Date by searider(m): 2:50am On Feb 07, 2015
When it comes to politics,we always allow sentiments to cloud our senses of reasoning or judgement. The president has stated reasons why the election should not be held in February 14 and the opposition party has not deemed it fit to reason with him.

I could remember when February 14 was picked by INEC as the date for the general election. I could also remember the grumbling among the Nigerians citizens for INEC choosing such an important date. All of a sudden, the election can no longer wait because some people are in a hurry to vote out the opposition party.

Let the truth be said, no incoming government will do more than its predecessor because it always leverage on the foundation of the past government. Either February or April; somebody must be sworn-in come May29, so, why the hurry?

NB: we have 12 other parties contesting for the same post. Do not be selfish.

#Anti-politics.
Re: Presidency Lists Grouse With February Polls Date by ajaopopo: 4:06am On Feb 07, 2015
tiamiyukunle69:
As if its Jega that will force voters to pick up their PVCs
.is who then? When u go to d registration point. The INEC pple will say ur name is not on d list and so ur PVC is not ready.am for change so let us call a spade a spade.Jega Bleep up big tym as a professor. And former VC of a reputable university for that matter.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Musa Mayaki: I Was Punished For Censoring Hate Campaigns / Ambode Connects 68 Communities To National Grid (Photos) / Ondo Election: APC To Investigate Tinubu’s Anti-Party Moves

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.