Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,785 members, 7,820,752 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:48 PM

Boko Haram: US Offers More Help If FG Keeps To Poll Timetable - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boko Haram: US Offers More Help If FG Keeps To Poll Timetable (1305 Views)

FG Keeps Mum As LPG, Kerosene, Diesel Prices Soar / Jonathan Showed No Political Will In Fight Against Boko Haram – US Envoy / Nuhu Ribadu Dumped 2 Days To Poll (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boko Haram: US Offers More Help If FG Keeps To Poll Timetable by Deeman87: 2:07pm On Feb 07, 2015
The United States has offered more assistance to Nigeria in its fight against Boko Haram if the Federal Government keeps to February 14 and 28 poll timetable.

The Deputy Spokesperson of the US Department of State, Marie Harf, gave the condition at the department’s daily briefing on Thursday.

The transcript of the session was obtained on Friday by our correspondent.

She said the US was committed to the building of capacity of Nigerian troops and other countries in the region.

She said: “We certainly provide a great amount of assistance to Nigeria when it comes to the fight against Boko Haram.

“Well, we certainly have, as the United States, provided assistance to help in this fight, and you heard the Secretary when he was in Nigeria say we want to do more to help the Nigerians.

“Part of that depends upon them going forward with the elections as scheduled, holding them – limiting the violence, having credible and fair elections.

“So we certainly believe this is a critical challenge. Boko Haram is a little bit of a different threat than ISIS. Obviously, each threat is different, but we’re very committed to helping the countries in the region fight this.”

To win the war against Boko Haram, Harf said Nigeria and allied forces (Chad, Cameroon and Niger) require more capacity and more willingness.

“Well, I clearly think if you just look at the sheer amount of violence that Boko Haram has been able to perpetrate that there needs to be more capacity and more willingness among some of the parties.

Some of the – there’ve been some times when people have stepped up and really tried to be aggressive against Boko Haram, but clearly more needs to be done,” she added.

Asked if Western nations were reluctant in moving against Boko Haram, Harf said: “Well, I think that’s probably a larger analytical question that I’m not going to delve into from here.

“I can just speak for the U.S. and what – this building and this government is very committed to helping Nigeria and the countries in the region build their capacity and push them to take on this fight even more seriously.”

On the alleged incursions into Nigeria by Chadian forces to fight Boko Haram, she said she could not confirm it.

But she was quick to add that the US thinks a regional effort is needed to curtail the insurgents.

She said: “Well, we have obviously seen these reports about where certain troops are and who’s fighting who. We do believe that a regional effort is needed to fight Boko Haram. “Obviously, Nigeria plays the most important role here. So I can’t confirm reports that Chadian forces have been inside Boko – excuse me, inside Nigeria fighting Boko Haram, but we do think that a regional effort is needed.

“We’ve talked to the regional partners about it, so I can check and see if there are more details.”

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/boko-haram-us-offers-help-fg-keeps-poll-timetable/
Re: Boko Haram: US Offers More Help If FG Keeps To Poll Timetable by freshness2020: 2:15pm On Feb 07, 2015
Keep your conditions to yourselves!
...we are already winning the fight!
<<FORWARD MARCH for Jonathan!
#GEJ2015!

7 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: US Offers More Help If FG Keeps To Poll Timetable by GrAnDwEeZ(m): 2:16pm On Feb 07, 2015
What's there problem with d election slf. Xo dey ll not help save lives in NE if the election his postponed. EF america
Re: Boko Haram: US Offers More Help If FG Keeps To Poll Timetable by Nobody: 2:19pm On Feb 07, 2015
freshness2020:
Keep your conditions to yourselves!
...we are already winning the fight!

We can overcome by God's grace. What is even their interest? Why has the US allowed so many innocents die without any help and only giving conditions now? GOD is above all. God bless President GEJ

5 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: US Offers More Help If FG Keeps To Poll Timetable by gambit10: 2:21pm On Feb 07, 2015
If I hear say GEJ gree... Its not like he is interested in ending the way against terror, so trying to use ur help as a condition or leverage wouldn't change anything ....the bastard is freaking desperate, he doesn't want to leave aso rock. Come to think of it, what does he stand to gain from the postponement ?? Just wondering
Re: Boko Haram: US Offers More Help If FG Keeps To Poll Timetable by freshness2020: 2:30pm On Feb 07, 2015
myhoodlink:

We can overcome by God's grace. What is even their interest? Why has the US allowed so many innocents die without any help and only giving conditions now? GOD is above all. God bless President GEJ
♈όϋ are so on point man...
.. they tend to help ♈όϋ with their hands and get their returns with their left hands...
What a selfish nation!

2 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: US Offers More Help If FG Keeps To Poll Timetable by Nobody: 2:30pm On Feb 07, 2015
Stupi.d Americans

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram: US Offers More Help If FG Keeps To Poll Timetable by hushmail: 2:34pm On Feb 07, 2015
more help to ensure their disintegration theory of 2015 comes to fruition.

what have they been doing since?

US should stay out of 9ja internal politics

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram: US Offers More Help If FG Keeps To Poll Timetable by Hostermipo(m): 2:52pm On Feb 07, 2015
I do say it every time that helps from America is not from sincere heart, if the Fg agree it means we are begging for their help. They will help only if the election is not postponed? that means they are after the election and not really to help stop bokoharam . we will live and fight and conquer without the help of USA. they always want to help you so that they can dictate for you.

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram: US Offers More Help If FG Keeps To Poll Timetable by Marotzke(m): 2:54pm On Feb 07, 2015
gambit10:
If I hear say GEJ gree... Its not like he is interested in ending the way against terror, so trying to use ur help as a condition or leverage wouldn't change anything ....the bastard is freaking desperate, he doesn't want to leave aso rock. Come to think of it, what does he stand to gain from the postponement ?? Just wondering
Deplete your enemies reserves, drag the campaigns beyond the point your opponents can comfortably participate. States like Rivers will suffer another six weeks of absentee governor, further alienating the citizens. Campaign slogans will sound hollow after six weeks. Who will bear the extra cost of Internet warriors? Establish rigging points in liberated areas. Confuse electorate on actual date of election. And more. Hmmm, this clueless man from Otuoke.

2 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: US Offers More Help If FG Keeps To Poll Timetable by utytill(m): 2:58pm On Feb 07, 2015
pls keep ur help.nonsense.

2 Likes

Re: Boko Haram: US Offers More Help If FG Keeps To Poll Timetable by gambit10: 3:10pm On Feb 07, 2015
Marotzke:
Deplete your enemies reserves, drag the campaigns beyond the point your opponents can comfortably participate. States like Rivers will suffer another six weeks of absentee governor, further alienating the citizens. Campaign slogans will sound hollow after six weeks. Who will bear the extra cost of Internet warriors? Establish rigging points in liberated areas. Confuse electorate on actual date of election. And more. Hmmm, this clueless man from Otuoke.

Hmmm....enlightening thank u, I hope his plans doesn't work out .. Can't stand another 4yrs of Jonathan #unphantomable
Re: Boko Haram: US Offers More Help If FG Keeps To Poll Timetable by Nobody: 3:16pm On Feb 07, 2015
If all u wrote is actually true and u still call him
Marotzke:
this clueless man from Otuoke.
Then I think we need a new definition for cluelessness

1 Like

Re: Boko Haram: US Offers More Help If FG Keeps To Poll Timetable by Marotzke(m): 3:23pm On Feb 07, 2015
faceURfront:
If all u wrote is actually true and u still call him

Then I think we need a new definition for cluelessness
Remind me the definition of Satire and Clueless.
Re: Boko Haram: US Offers More Help If FG Keeps To Poll Timetable by samueltoski: 4:20pm On Feb 07, 2015
Marotzke:
Remind me the definition of Satire and Clueless.
It means u are a f**ked fool hope my defination helps
Re: Boko Haram: US Offers More Help If FG Keeps To Poll Timetable by Caseless: 4:42pm On Feb 07, 2015
For the first time, i'm with America on an issue. They're just right for the first time. We don't want the election postponed.

(1) (Reply)

APC Angry With Ohanaeze Over Jonathan’s Endorsement / Presidencial Election Results So Far With Percentages / Kaduna People Defy Rain To Welcome Sambo Home (see What Went On Here)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.