Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,874 members, 7,817,571 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:41 PM

I Was Thinking About What Ajuran/axum Said And Was Wondering - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / I Was Thinking About What Ajuran/axum Said And Was Wondering (9918 Views)

I Found Axum's Sister / Axum I Have A Question... / "Axum:"is NOT Ethiopian!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Was Thinking About What Ajuran/axum Said And Was Wondering by Fulaman198(m): 8:41am On Feb 09, 2015
Why do some Nigerians look like Bantus. It is kind of perplexing, I was thinking of it, it's not bad to look like a Bantu, but it is interesting since Nigeria isn't in Bantu territory as it is in West Africa. So please fellow Nigerians, this isn't meant to be an Axum/Ajuran post, I just want to know what's the science behind this.
Re: I Was Thinking About What Ajuran/axum Said And Was Wondering by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 8:47am On Feb 09, 2015
How do Bantus look like?
Plus there are Bantu in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: I Was Thinking About What Ajuran/axum Said And Was Wondering by Fulaman198(m): 9:05am On Feb 09, 2015
CAMNEWTON4PRES:
How do Bantus look like?
Plus there are Bantu in Nigeria

There are semi-Bantus in Nigeria like the Tiv, but they are not considered full Bantu. What is your take on Bantu/Semi-Bantu groups? Where does the divergence of "semi-Bantu" occur?
Re: I Was Thinking About What Ajuran/axum Said And Was Wondering by Nobody: 10:04am On Feb 09, 2015
I don't really understand the question. Why shouldn't we look like 'Bantus'? Aren't we all black Africans?

It's a bit like asking why some Greeks look like Italians.

Perhaps because they belong to the same race?

4 Likes

Re: I Was Thinking About What Ajuran/axum Said And Was Wondering by Nobody: 10:06am On Feb 09, 2015
And yes, there isn't anything like a Bantu look. An East African Bantu may look Nilotic. Southern African Bantus are on the average lighter than Bantus from farther north.

3 Likes

Re: I Was Thinking About What Ajuran/axum Said And Was Wondering by Fulaman198(m): 12:59pm On Feb 09, 2015
Radoillo:
And yes, there isn't anything like a Bantu look. An East African Bantu may look Nilotic. Southern African Bantus are on the average lighter than Bantus from farther north.

Very true
Re: I Was Thinking About What Ajuran/axum Said And Was Wondering by Ajuran: 4:18pm On Feb 09, 2015
Fulaman198:
Why do some Nigerians look like Bantus. It is kind of perplexing, I was thinking of it, it's not bad to look like a Bantu, but it is interesting since Nigeria isn't in Bantu territory as it is in West Africa. So please fellow Nigerians, this isn't meant to be an Axum/Ajuran post, I just want to know what's the science behind this.

Remember Bantu is part of Niger-congo language, and their is no such thing as looking like Bantu. Bantu is just a word Horn of Africans use to describe Subsahran Africans who are not from the Horn.

Also remember that genetics changes much faster (9 months to have a child) than language does( an entire group learning a new language other than their original one due to outside forces such as slavery, conquest, assimilation, etc.)

Your question is very simple minded, I thought you were doing me a favor by trolling, while I am recovering in the Emergency Room.

1 Like

Re: I Was Thinking About What Ajuran/axum Said And Was Wondering by gallivant: 4:44pm On Feb 09, 2015
Ajuran:

Remember Bantu is part of Niger-congo language, and their is no such thing as looking like Bantu. Bantu is just a word Horn of Africans use to describe Subsahran Africans who are not from the Horn.

That's just dumb.I am amazed you say such with much conviction.Lack of education makes people stupid and ignorant, fix up that education system of yours.

6 Likes

Re: I Was Thinking About What Ajuran/axum Said And Was Wondering by Omarbah: 5:52pm On Feb 09, 2015
Isnt Bantu , a language not a racial group?
Re: I Was Thinking About What Ajuran/axum Said And Was Wondering by V0lv0(f): 5:57pm On Feb 09, 2015
Omarbah:
Isnt Bantu , a language not a racial group?
Bantu refers to language and people.

1 Like

Re: I Was Thinking About What Ajuran/axum Said And Was Wondering by gallivant: 6:26pm On Feb 09, 2015
I made this address some of the misconceptions people have in regards to Bantus.This chart shows the existence of common root words in Swahili and other Bantu languages(Kenyan Kikuyu,Luhya and South African Zulu) and a contrast with Luo(Kenyan Nilotes).I chose Swahili to disapprove the notion that its heavily influenced by Arabic.

Re: I Was Thinking About What Ajuran/axum Said And Was Wondering by TerryCarr(m): 6:42pm On Feb 09, 2015
Fulaman198:
bantus come from west Africans (Cameroon)
Re: I Was Thinking About What Ajuran/axum Said And Was Wondering by morpheus24: 8:17pm On Feb 09, 2015
Fulaman198:

Come now Fulaman198, are you that bored?

As has been repeated several times in numerous other threads. Bantu is a language classification. There were possible proto-bantu speakers of which the Tiv and other groups in Nigeria originate from but the language predominantly travelled east, central and south wards which is why one is able to tie the similarities in certain words used amongst languages that cut across that area.

It is possible that certain other groups of people already populated these areas and were absorbed by the predominately bantu pastorialists, therefore you cannot claim that all bantu peoples should look alike.

Simply put you cannot mix genetics with linguistics, although they do cross paths some times

4 Likes

Re: I Was Thinking About What Ajuran/axum Said And Was Wondering by Ajuran: 8:53pm On Feb 09, 2015
gallivant:

That's just dumb.I am amazed you say such with much conviction.Lack of education makes people stupid and ignorant, fix up that education system of yours.

Well Somalis dont care that bantu is a language group, since the Negroes in Somalia who were slaves speak Bantu, the name just stuck for anyone who is not from the Horn.

Bantu is just another word for Black and is more politically correct than Adoon (Slave) and Jareer (nappy haired)
Re: I Was Thinking About What Ajuran/axum Said And Was Wondering by Nobody: 9:41pm On Feb 09, 2015
Fulaman I am deeply ashamed that you stooped to this level of nonsense. shocked shocked shocked shocked "Bantu" is a language group. Nothing more nothing else. They aren't even monolithic but only so(which is also doubtful) in origins. How do they all look alike??

Are you aware that these people are "Bantu"?

Nigeria is a country with over 200+ ethnic groups and a population that is the 7th largest(I think) in the world. How can they all look like Bantu's.

Ajuran just simply correlates in his small mind anything that looks "Negroid" to "Bantu".

Come on man you're better than this!

2 Likes

Re: I Was Thinking About What Ajuran/axum Said And Was Wondering by morpheus24: 9:54pm On Feb 09, 2015
Ajuran:

Well Somalis dont care that bantu is a language group, since the Negroes in Somalia who were slaves speak Bantu, the name just stuck for anyone who is not from the Horn.
Bantu is just another word for Black and is more politically correct than Adoon (Slave) and Jareer (nappy haired)

IF you don't care its a language group then you are simply perpetuating ignorance and S.tupidty and in should be relegated to taking shots of psychiatric medication to cure your madness.

Shikena!

5 Likes

Re: I Was Thinking About What Ajuran/axum Said And Was Wondering by Nobody: 10:01pm On Feb 09, 2015
Ajuran:

The world does not revolve around what you or others Somalis think. Nor can you change what a word means. Bantu is a language group. Nothing more nothing else. Also your logic is twisted/flawed. IIRC you do not view Fulanis as "Bantu" because they do not exhibit "Negroid" features, but they're not from the horn, though they do live in "Sub Sahara Africa". So why are they exempt?

3 Likes

Re: I Was Thinking About What Ajuran/axum Said And Was Wondering by gallivant: 10:22pm On Feb 09, 2015
Ajuran:

Who cares what Somalis think? Some of us live in the real world! Bantu is a language grouping, don't substantiate ignorance and lack of basic education to me. undecided

2 Likes

Re: I Was Thinking About What Ajuran/axum Said And Was Wondering by morpheus24: 11:34pm On Feb 09, 2015
KidStranglehold:

The world does not revolve around what you or others Somalis think. Nor can you change what a word means. Bantu is a language group. Nothing more nothing else. Also your logic is twisted/flawed. IIRC you do not view Fulanis as "Bantu" because they do not exhibit "Negroid" features, but they're not from the horn, though they do live in "Sub Sahara Africa". So why are they exempt?

The logic is lost to him because only in Africa do we have sweeping generalizations of people while the rest of the world gets away with all sorts of classifications.

Case in point, both these individuals below are Asians. They both look slightly different phenotypically but are basically regarded as "mongoloid" if you are using the 19th century classification system. No one seems to bother about their differences, yet when it comes to the next set of pics who are both African all of a sudden you can spot the differences.

1 Like

Re: I Was Thinking About What Ajuran/axum Said And Was Wondering by Nobody: 11:39pm On Feb 09, 2015
morpheus24:

The logic is lost to him because only in Africa do we have sweeping generalizations of people while the rest of the world gets away with all sorts of classifications.

Case in point, both these individuals below are Asians. They both look slightly different phenotypically but are basically regarded as "mongoloid" if you are using the 19th century classification system. No one seems to bother about their differences, yet when it comes to the next set of pics who are both African all of a sudden you can spot the differences.

Agreed.
Re: I Was Thinking About What Ajuran/axum Said And Was Wondering by Fulaman198(m): 1:58am On Feb 10, 2015
Ajuran:

Also remember that genetics changes much faster (9 months to have a child) than language does( an entire group learning a new language other than their original one due to outside forces such as slavery, conquest, assimilation, etc.)

Your question is very simple minded, I thought you were doing me a favor by trolling, while I am recovering in the Emergency Room.

I wish you a quick recuperation loll I was considering creating a troll post however that would get me fired from the job loll.
Re: I Was Thinking About What Ajuran/axum Said And Was Wondering by Fulaman198(m): 1:59am On Feb 10, 2015
morpheus24:

Come now Fulaman198, are you that bored?

As has been repeated several times in numerous other threads. Bantu is a language classification. There were possible proto-bantu speakers of which the Tiv and other groups in Nigeria originate from but the language predominantly travelled east, central and south wards which is why one is able to tie the similarities in certain words used amongst languages that cut across that area.

It is possible that certain other groups of people already populated these areas and were absorbed by the predominately bantu pastorialists, therefore you cannot claim that all bantu peoples should look alike.

Simply put you cannot mix genetics with linguistics, although they do cross paths some times

Admittedly I was kind of bored loll

1 Like

Re: I Was Thinking About What Ajuran/axum Said And Was Wondering by Ajuran: 3:27am On Feb 10, 2015
Fulaman198:

I wish you a quick recuperation loll I was considering creating a troll post however that would get me fired from the job loll.

Don't you have to be paid to call it a job? undecided

1 Like

Re: I Was Thinking About What Ajuran/axum Said And Was Wondering by Ajuran: 3:28am On Feb 10, 2015
morpheus24:

African means nothing more than a land mass. Stop trying to attach yourself to people who are Somali/ethiopian
Re: I Was Thinking About What Ajuran/axum Said And Was Wondering by Ajuran: 3:46am On Feb 10, 2015
KidStranglehold:

99 percent of Somalis have never met a Fulani, but obviously they would not be classified as Bantu, the ones who dont look Bantu.

Its a generalization. Same reason why some label anyone with any mixture of black as black even though they could pass as white.

Like I said, I said it was the way Somalis/Ethiopians saw the rest of Africa. Somalis and Ethiopians see that they look the same in appearance and

assume everyone else who doesnt look like them in Africa is uncivilized cause they look like the slaves they use to enslave.

That doesnt make it right.
Re: I Was Thinking About What Ajuran/axum Said And Was Wondering by Fulaman198(m): 4:17am On Feb 10, 2015
Ajuran:

Don't you have to be paid to call it a job? undecided

I'm trying to be a good man my braaather, I must atone for my haram by lusting after beautiful women's feet somehow
Re: I Was Thinking About What Ajuran/axum Said And Was Wondering by Omarbah: 4:42am On Feb 10, 2015
Ajuran:

African means nothing more than a land mass. Stop trying to attach yourself to people who are Somali/ethiopian
If it YOU who are in Nigeria forum...
Re: I Was Thinking About What Ajuran/axum Said And Was Wondering by Ajuran: 4:46am On Feb 10, 2015
Fulaman198:

I'm trying to be a good man my braaather, I must atone for my haram by lusting after beautiful women's feet somehow

I am afraid we passed that bridge called 'atonement' when you asked for the pictures of bantus feet dipped in fufu
Re: I Was Thinking About What Ajuran/axum Said And Was Wondering by gallivant: 6:01am On Feb 10, 2015
Ajuran:

99 percent of Somalis have never met a Fulani, but obviously they would not be classified as Bantu, the ones who dont look Bantu.

Its a generalization. Same reason why's some label anyone with any mixture of black as black even though they could pass as white.

Like I said, I said it was the way Somalis/Ethiopians saw the rest of Africa. Somalis and Ethiopians see that they look the same in appearance and

assume everyone else who doesnt look like them in Africa is uncivilized cause they look like the slaves they use to enslave.

Well that's ignorance and stewpidity. Does everyone in Somalia think like you? If they do it's no wonder what Somalia is such a backward place. undecided
Re: I Was Thinking About What Ajuran/axum Said And Was Wondering by Fulaman198(m): 7:01am On Feb 10, 2015
Ajuran:

I am afraid we passed that bridge called 'atonement' when you asked for the pictures of bantus feet dipped in fufu

Lollllll that's disgusting, I would steer clear of a woman who dips her feet in Fufu ROFLLL. I would not eat her feet (I mean kiss her feet).
Re: I Was Thinking About What Ajuran/axum Said And Was Wondering by morpheus24: 4:59pm On Feb 10, 2015
Ajuran:

If Africa means nothing more than a land mass then so does every other land mass on the face of this earth, In other words there should be no concept of continents, geographical locations, genetic mapping, adaptive traits and the likes

Come to think of it using your flawed logic, one should have no concept of nation states and ergo ethnicity.

In fact if we continue down your line of reasoning, we should all be reduced to the animals that we are, running around scattered around the face of the earth.

I know you simply perpetuate your ideology on nairaland to erk other African peoples or see yourself as some sort of cyber warrior fighting against the so called "Afrocentric" and I for one will continue to play along with your infantile nature, however know that in terms of thinking ability I would consider you a step below Homo sapien sapiens. Somewhere in-between the Neandethal and the Sapien.

You simply are not that smart.
Re: I Was Thinking About What Ajuran/axum Said And Was Wondering by morpheus24: 5:13pm On Feb 10, 2015
Ajuran:

Generalization. Where is your proof.

When you say met, are you trying to imply that Somali's don't have access to the internet where they can simply push a button and poof, a Fulani pops up on their screen.

Do you have to meet someone in this day an age to know what they generally look like?

Ajuran:

Its a generalization. Same reason why some label anyone with any mixture of black as black even though they could pass as white.

This is an American conjecture. People of mixed heritage around the world are generally not considered black because the term as race implies is used mostly in the US.

Ajuran:

No, its the brain wash that came into play as soon as you accepted the 19th century mainstream scientific classification of "race" which ostensibly placed your people on a higher racial hierarchy above other Africans based on how close your features were to the race of people on the top of the pyramid. You are simply perpetuating that ideology and will do everything necessary to hold on to that fallacy.

FREE YOUR MIND!!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Hairy Ladies / What Does Etiosa Mean In Yoruba. / History Of Esan People Of Edo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.