Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,490 members, 7,830,474 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:59 PM

After Ur Bsc, Is It Still Worth It Going Abroad To Hustle? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / After Ur Bsc, Is It Still Worth It Going Abroad To Hustle? (4459 Views)

best schegen Country For A Nigerian To Hustle / Best Asian Country For A Nigerian To Hustle / Is Turkey A Good Place To Hustle ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

After Ur Bsc, Is It Still Worth It Going Abroad To Hustle? by omonua85: 8:05pm On Jan 02, 2009
Hi nairalnders, This is my first thread on nairalnad although i have enjoyed reading through threads for over 2 yeras now. I am a 23yr old graduate seeking to live the good life, my dad is late and my mum is classed among the middle class.I have a handfull of younger ones.I am nursing an ambition to go abroad( canada, US, UK) in 2 or 3 yrs time to pursue my masters degree and hustle while doing that so i can support myself and family in nigeria.I am definately coming back to nigeria after masters. After seeing me through school, i am due for NYSC by march and i have already recieved some offers from 2 nigerian banks and 1 microfiance bank( i wonder if na only bank i submit submit CV to) in nigeria.i really want to bless all those who helped me through school in someway.  and i was thinking Is going abroad to hustle still worth it as it was sometime in the past? some of my collegues in school are doing everything to go abroad. Nothing in particular to go and do , just a few are going for academic purposes. With the global financial crisis and tight economy in the world, with countires cutting jobs and some nigerians coming back home. It appears not to be a good move,maybe working in nigeria is not bad afterall.Some of those whom i know went abroad to pick up legal jobs(not fraud) are not necessarily above thier nigerian collegues who got good jobs here in nigeria.Speaking with one of my friend's dad who  lived almost all his life abroad, he  said it was no more attractive going abroad to meet uncertainty and hustling, staying in nigeria and planning ur life well,getting a good job and by God's grace could get u much more. It is now becoming an option only for the uneducated.I will be glad if nigerians abroad could shed more light on this.I want to welcome evryone to 2009ice, cause gongo aso.
Re: After Ur Bsc, Is It Still Worth It Going Abroad To Hustle? by Ndipe(m): 12:14am On Jan 05, 2009
Not worth it if you live a good life in Nigeria. Rather, visit during the holidays and see if you can withstand the hustle of life in the western world.
Re: After Ur Bsc, Is It Still Worth It Going Abroad To Hustle? by Nobody: 12:21am On Jan 05, 2009
go abroad . . . get a masters and possibly an MBA on the way and come back. It would be well worth the effort.
Re: After Ur Bsc, Is It Still Worth It Going Abroad To Hustle? by netotse(m): 12:48am On Jan 05, 2009
jst finished school and am due for nysc same time as u(we're the same age too, lol)anyway i'm going for an Msc immediately after service then i'll prolly chill bak for like 2-5 yrs(not sure if its uk or us or canada tho)thats cos the field i'm going into(energy management) is not yet developed so i want to gain more experience before coming bak home(if i cant get proper work i wont stay a day longer o!)

u didnt state wot crse u read in uni, pple might be able to give better suggestions if u did!
Re: After Ur Bsc, Is It Still Worth It Going Abroad To Hustle? by bronxdog: 12:55am On Jan 05, 2009
@David

The guy said to "hustle" meaning, to go abroad to suffer to make it, to go abroad to steal, to go abroad to do yahoo yahoo, or what do you mean by "hustle" my guy? Do you mean to go to school abroad, i.e. further your studies? then say so, but to go to hustle, i think your hustling will pay you more in nigeria because over there, na o.y.o.
Re: After Ur Bsc, Is It Still Worth It Going Abroad To Hustle? by Nobody: 2:10pm On Jan 06, 2009
na wa o. . . wahala oni kaluku ototo! tongue
Re: After Ur Bsc, Is It Still Worth It Going Abroad To Hustle? by tboy1(m): 5:52pm On Jan 06, 2009
If u can get a job in nigeria, stay there!!!
Re: After Ur Bsc, Is It Still Worth It Going Abroad To Hustle? by cvibe: 6:32pm On Jan 06, 2009
Never go abroad to hustle cos you will be frustrated 10 times over. Better to go as a student, then you can raise your head and be counted.
Re: After Ur Bsc, Is It Still Worth It Going Abroad To Hustle? by jot01(m): 8:59am On Mar 29, 2009
WELL, YOU CAN GO AND STUDY THEN GO BACK TO NIJJA BUT I KNOW YOU WONT WANNA GO BACK HOME,
GIVE IT A TRIAL ANYWAY,

JAH BLESS
Re: After Ur Bsc, Is It Still Worth It Going Abroad To Hustle? by promise72(m): 11:44pm On Mar 29, 2009
omonua85:

Hi nairalnders, This is my first thread on nairalnad although i have enjoyed reading through threads for over 2 yeras now. I am a 23yr old graduate seeking to live the good life, my dad is late and my mum is classed among the middle class.I have a handfull of younger ones.I am nursing an ambition to go abroad( canada, US, UK) in 2 or 3 yrs time to pursue my masters degree and hustle while doing that so i can support myself and family in nigeria.I am definately coming back to nigeria after masters. After seeing me through school, i am due for NYSC by march and i have already recieved some offers from 2 nigerian banks and 1 microfiance bank( i wonder if na only bank i submit submit CV to) in nigeria.i really want to bless all those who helped me through school in someway.  and i was thinking Is going abroad to hustle still worth it as it was sometime in the past? some of my collegues in school are doing everything to go abroad. Nothing in particular to go and do , just a few are going for academic purposes. With the global financial crisis and tight economy in the world, with countires cutting jobs and some nigerians coming back home. It appears not to be a good move,maybe working in nigeria is not bad afterall.Some of those whom i know went abroad to pick up legal jobs(not fraud) are not necessarily above thier nigerian collegues who got good jobs here in nigeria.Speaking with one of my friend's dad who  lived almost all his life abroad, he  said it was no more attractive going abroad to meet uncertainty and hustling, staying in nigeria and planning ur life well,getting a good job and by God's grace could get u much more. It is now becoming an option only for the uneducated.I will be glad if nigerians abroad could shed more light on this.I want to welcome evryone to 2009ice, cause gongo aso.

YES. At least u will gain a better point of view of life by living elsewhere.
Re: After Ur Bsc, Is It Still Worth It Going Abroad To Hustle? by iwefactria: 4:39pm On Apr 01, 2009
some people are being cajoled to travel out of naija flowing with milk and honey and on getting to there destinations they are disappointed though good road,stable power supply and lots more are available over there but the job available are cleaning,dishing washing,security,fruit picking &post office job(i mean distributing papers under harsh weather correct cold) etc.It depends on you anyway,but life over there is not easy as we though.if u get a job pls stay back.i mean it stay back
Re: After Ur Bsc, Is It Still Worth It Going Abroad To Hustle? by promise72(m): 8:50pm On Apr 01, 2009
iwefactria:

some people are being cajoled to travel out of naija flowing with milk and honey and on getting to there destinations they are disappointed though good road,stable power supply and lots more are available over there but the job available are cleaning,dishing washing,security,fruit picking &post office job(i mean distributing papers under harsh weather correct cold) etc.It depends on you anyway,but life over there is not easy as we though.if u get a job pls stay back.i mean it stay back

at least i dont have to worry about getting killed for my handset. Or robbers come to our street and stay for 4hrs with no police in sight.

Why do you sound bitter?
Re: After Ur Bsc, Is It Still Worth It Going Abroad To Hustle? by iwefactria: 11:44am On Apr 02, 2009
@ promise72

I am not.Just trying to encourage whoever cares to listen. why on earth would u live that country if u secure a good job.i think u got me
Re: After Ur Bsc, Is It Still Worth It Going Abroad To Hustle? by shinepearl: 3:36pm On Apr 02, 2009
men stay here, like they said except you are going for fun
Re: After Ur Bsc, Is It Still Worth It Going Abroad To Hustle? by SUKKIE(m): 10:36pm On Apr 02, 2009
Dude, u ve answered some of the key questions urslef.If u have the resources u may as well go for ur masters and take it up from there.Who knows u could get a multinational job dat takes u round the globe. At the same token, nja is equally an emerging economy;hence thingz will get better. At the end of the day,the choice is urs mate. All the best!
Re: After Ur Bsc, Is It Still Worth It Going Abroad To Hustle? by greensagoe: 7:52pm On May 04, 2009
it is 100% better if you travel abroad. your future is secure in countries like the US/Canada/Australia/ and Japana but providing you enter with a student visa so you won,t be running all about.

Nija is good but our leaders are very wicked. ok? why are they sending their own children abroad. you better wake up.

emiabinuyo@yahoo.com

one love
Re: After Ur Bsc, Is It Still Worth It Going Abroad To Hustle? by debouy: 1:25pm On May 16, 2009
Sorting out your data once again,

1.your mum is classified as 'middle class' Which means she's doing not bad financially.
2. You have 3 job offers already (two banks and a microfinance)
And you are thinking of going abroad to "pursue Your masters degree and hustle while doing that so i can support myself and family in nigeria" Believe me,There is no job that you will pcik up as a student in any developed country including some of those you have mentioned that would pay you as much to further your education and also be able to send money back to your family at home, (Believe me)
Life as student is all rosy in any country especially for foreign student as you have restrictive hours of working and limited shcolarship/bursary opportunities and note that will surely pay double the fees being paid by local students,

My advise, If truly you have been offered a job here, take it and grow yourself finacially in investments and savings for now and the good news is that you can always visit any of these countries and see things firsthand before taking the plunge further.
Like i said, It's just an advise,

The Lord will show you the way,

(1) (Reply)

NIGERIA, The Second Most Dangerous Country To Visit In The World. See List: / Boeing 747 With Five Engines / Accident In Port Harcourt This Morning..car Tumbles (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.