Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,730 members, 7,831,329 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:09 PM

APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo (26839 Views)

Tariffs: Benin, Ghana Wage Economic War Against Nigeria / APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo / The New Electricity Tariffs From July 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by Nobody: 1:46pm On Feb 12, 2015
Justcash:

What you are proposing is only feasible if local production has not commenced. I agree that infrastructural provision is paramount, I'm only saying that it can be gradually introduced to bring down the cost of production instead of tampering with the tariffs and killing local production. Government should strive to build on the jobs provided to generate more jobs instead of killing them.

Before the tariff, was Innosun dying? Wasn't he being patronised even by various government? Though they still buy imported vehicles still. What I am saying in essence is even without increase in tariff, the market is still there for would be investors. Even without this policy, get ur economy in good shape, infrastructures intact, power.....perfect and see these investors trooping in if not for anything but our population.
But wirh this increased tariff with no significant increase in income or any finance arrangement, u Av succeeded in improverishing the more the same people u are suppose to protect.

As par buying the cars, Nigerians will get used to it, especially if more jobs are provided through replicating local manufacturing in other industries. Investments create jobs. Jobs create income. Income stimulates domestic consumption. Some countries are doing this e.g. Malaysia

Nigerians will only get used to what their pockets can afford with ease. Again, let me reinstate that the policy is good but timing wrong.
Am not speaking on behalf of Nigerians but i don't see myself buying an Innosun in the nearest future.
Apart from the cost which I don't blame the manufacturer for, what about safety and durability checks foreign vehicles are subjected to? Who does that in Nigeria? What governing agency is in charge of that? That alone, i can't place a value on because we are talking of a life situation here. I won't risk that because I don't want the conpanies to die. Never.

Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by Akinsz: 1:47pm On Feb 12, 2015
No, Poverty Development Party PDP
annibro:

Pack of Deceptive People
Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by Nobody: 1:48pm On Feb 12, 2015
It is better for change than continued suffering, I say, how many people have driven those cars. They can't even produce 2 full car a day not to talk of satisfying 170million Nigerians demand. Let's us not deceive ourselves. Until power is stable in Nigeria, cost of production will be high and you will get the stuffs very expensive. Imagine DSTV is cheap in south Africa than Nigeria. Who is Muiltchoice ?

2 Likes

Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by generalissimo(m): 1:48pm On Feb 12, 2015
[quote author=fkaz post=30635925][/quote]That's to achieve what economically? I fear for this country if these desperate men from APC should rule this country. People without CERT....what do they know about economy?
Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by tolexy007(m): 1:50pm On Feb 12, 2015
dis man just like to tell plpp what dey want to hear, bt what him as politicians cant do

1 Like

Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by richidinho(m): 1:52pm On Feb 12, 2015
free2ryhme:

They are all assembly plants creating jobs for the manufacturer countries. Power must be fix before this companies can be viable. Cars produced on generators. What's going to be the cost to the buyers.

ASSUMING the cost price is the same with the imported cars

why cant you support them because of the employment opportunities and NATIONAL pride
Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by Boss13: 1:53pm On Feb 12, 2015
free2ryhme:

They are all assembly plants creating jobs for the manufacturer countries. Power must be fix before this companies can be viable. Cars produced on generators. What's going to be the cost to the buyers.

Many of these politicians do not know what they are saying. I am truly disappointed in APC because of certain reasons. They claim to be CHANGE. I do not see the change even after recruiting the Obama campaign organisers. If the Vice President candidate of APC cannot truly communicate the economic changes they are coming on board to implement then there is a problem because the VP is the chairman of the economic committee meeting. Stopping the importation of tomatoes and cassava and reducing import tariffs of second hand cars in order to encourage importation of cars are conflicting economic policies. Is he just saying all these to sway votes?

I also disagree with him on the free lunch for all public schools - that is not feasible and if feasible too expensive for our economy and also it does not improve on the quality of education except the aim is to increase the number of almajiris rushing down in the afternoons to public school for a slice of the cake. The aim here should be improving the quality of education not food.
Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by fresh360(m): 1:57pm On Feb 12, 2015
Can u imagine him talkin abt importation of cars n teriff whi GEJ is walkin n has started Made in Nigeria cars.... APC always backwrds
GEJ till apc hv a youth as a presidntial candidate grin

1 Like

Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by Boss13: 1:57pm On Feb 12, 2015
J12:

IF YOU CANNOT BUY A MADE IN NIGERIA CAR, THEN WORK HARDER, SAVE AND EARN MORE MONEY SO YOU CAN AFFORD IT.

If you can't. Then stick to using commercial transportation.

An average nigerian with the average thinking

1 Like

Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by boujaye: 1:59pm On Feb 12, 2015
[size=18pt]Buhari of 1984/85 is not the same Buhari of today,
this man has grossly depreciated in faculty and idea.

Nigerians vote wisely!

GEJ is OK ... regret only![/size]

2 Likes

Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by Gbawe: 2:02pm On Feb 12, 2015
ilugunboy:
It's is criminal to shot up tarrif on imported new and second hand car without a corresponding increase in local production at competitive price.

You only encourage smuggling and the resultant loss of revenue to the government by way of reduced custom duty...

You can't inconvenient Nigerians because of some cabal close to the seat of government ...promising the govt they can meet demand, which obviously is a daunting task...

You gets the 'trust' of what Osinbajo is saying. The simplistic point is that "what is worth doing is worth doing well". You cannot starve Nigerians of affordable vehicles, when doing such creates another set of problems altogether, all for the sake of protecting "local industries" that cannot operate and produce optimally.

It is for similarly reasons we import refined crude in the form of petrol. This is a measure that keeps Nigeria economically functional till Nigerian refineries can produce enough to satisfy domestic reply. It is for the government to do its job so that our refineries can work optimally as soon as possible same as government must produce the conducive environment and conditions that will facilitate the growth of a local vehicle industry instead of just punishing Nigerians with high tariffs while doing little to deliver this conducive environment. If posters put sentiments aside they will see that Osinbajo is not advocating a measure that will harm local car production. He is merely saying that for now, and while efforts is made to improve other important factor which will enable the delivery of a high quality local car manufacturing sector, Nigerians should not pay a punitive price, in the form of high duty, for car import.

In most Nations of the world, leaders must strike a balance between protecting local industry and depriving citizens quality/freedom of choice whcih helps them get the best out of the work/productivity and leisure equation. It is patently wrong to try and force Nigerians to patronise made in Nigeria vehicles if those vehicles cannot meritoriously compete with the best available !!! Osinbajo makes the distinct point that local vehicle production cannot be encouraged to the detriment of giving Nigerians greater choices , through importation, when some of the factors that prevents the local production of high quality cars are still glaringly missing.

It is clear Osinbajo takes a broad and long-term view to local production, not local assembly, of cars because that is the only way to look at things if we want uncompromising quality that will make 'Nigerian cars' as good as any other. He argues that while a holistic environment is being created to achieve this local production of high quality cars Nigerians should still have the option of importing cars at reasonable costs. This is a perfectly reasonable solution that takes into consideration the need to try and have balances which suit all sides rather than deploy drastic and ill-thought out ideas that benefit no side at all. The Government cannot just say it wants to help the development of local production of cars using punitive tariffs while major problems impeding the growth of the local car industry are not addressed adequately eg power supply. On this thread, many are taking the view that it must be one (import) or the other (local production) while Osinbajo , correctly in my opinion, is of the view this does not have to be the case. A balance can be achieved, till we reach our target, which allows as many Nigerians as possible to be on the road.

He said, “We do not agree that there should be high tariffs on imported cars whether new or old ones because Nigeria is not producing cars for now.

“What we will do first is to fix power and encourage local production of cars. But before then we will reduce the high tariffs that Nigerians are paying to import vehicles into the country.”

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by Nobody: 2:04pm On Feb 12, 2015
Boss13:

An average nigerian with the average thinking

If you think otherwise, then you're a shallow minded Nigerian who doesn't wish this country economic progress.
Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by cecidore: 2:06pm On Feb 12, 2015
grin grin grin grin grin grin
SeverusSnape:
Osinbajo at it again...Haba!

Please stop lying, Oh!...You're a lawyer, Worst of all; you're now a politician.
**in buhari's voice**....Kwotinue, It is fart of za jab.
Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by Owliver(m): 2:07pm On Feb 12, 2015
deemdeem:

[b]
I may not deal in cars but i buy cars and use them as I deem fit. Don't get me wrong. I desire that we should start producing and using strictly the cars we produce here. Of cos the benefits outweighs the benefits of just consuming what others produce. However it's wrong to say that there are no benefits at all.
Imported vehicles also bring jobs but definitely not as much as if we start doing and consuming it ourself.
This doesn't change my stance though about this good policy coming at a very wrong time. The basics needs to be sorted out first.
The bitter truth is if we produce and sell to ourselves at extremely high rate, who are the Nigerians that will buy it? Which Nigerian will prefer to buy a 2015 Innosun product when the same money and even less can fetch u a very clean tokunboh C Class Mercedes-Benz 2005. If Nigerians don't buy, won't these companies fold up, if they do what happens to the jobs created?
Govt should focus on the root which is the indices that makes producing very high first chief among power which invariably reflects in final cost hopefully at the reach of so many before increasing tariffs of[/b] imported vehicles.
this is not a wrong time sire. The industry is still young and we need to give it time and also encourage more direct investors. With that prices will reduce. Everything can't just go well in a single year na. Haba... Osibanjo is mad
Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by mikhe2(m): 2:11pm On Feb 12, 2015
grin all na wash
Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by upcrown2512(m): 2:12pm On Feb 12, 2015
IN ECONOMIC REALITY "COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS IS HIGHLY IMPERATIVE "

*AS AT TODAY 12:02:2015 IF YOU GENERATE POWER IT'S ONLY THOSE GOVERNMENT DISCOs THAT HAS THE ASSESS TO DISTRIBUTE. BABOONS THEY WORK, MONKEYS THEY CHOP ARRANGI THINGS.

* NO INVESTOR WILL INVEST IN THAT SHODDY ARRANGEMENTS.

* IT WAS CONFIRM SOME DAYS BACK ABOUT THE FLAWS IN THIS POWER SECTOR REFORMS.

* THOSE WHOSE REFUSED TO ANALYZE BASED ON REALITY ARE CORRUPT PEOPLE. IF I MAY ASK WHAT IS TARIFF. #750 YOU PAY FOR NO REASON AFTER PAYING FOR THE REAL CHARGES.

WHERE IS IT GOING?

A LOT OF THINGS WAS DONE TO SIPHON MONEY FROM THE POOR FOR GEJ AND HIS CRONIES.

THE KEROSENE ISSUE IS STILL HANGING, WHAT OF DIESELS WE EXPECT ALL THIS TO COME DOWN IN PRICE IN REFERENCE TO DROP IN PRICE OF CRUDE OILS AT INTERNATIONAL MARKET.

* ANDY UBAH OF CAPITAL OIL. (THE DIRECTOR OF TAN ! MR PRESIDENT CAMPAIGN DIRECTOR ) IS THE ONE IN CHARGE OF KEROSENE (#100 ON SUBSIDY )
THE SAME MONEY IS WHAT THEY ARE USING TO CAMPAIGN FOR GEJ.
THAT IS WHY THEY WILL DO ALL THINGS TO REMAIN IN POWER TO MAINTAIN THE STATUE QUO.

GOD FORBID
NO TO CORRUPT LEADER
THE'VE CORRUPT ALMOST EVERYTHING INCLUDING THE RESPECTED PASTOR, DSS, THE NIGERIA ARMY, THEY STILL WANT TO CORRUPT INEC.

THIS PDP MUST GO.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by Nobody: 2:14pm On Feb 12, 2015
Boss13:

I also disagree with him on the free lunch for all public schools - that is not feasible and if feasible too expensive for our economy and also it does not improve on the quality of education except the aim is to increase the number of almajiris rushing down in the afternoons to public school for a slice of the cake. The aim here should be improving the quality of education not food.

There should be free lunch for all public primary shool pupils. Infact, it's a shame we aren't doing such as at now except Osun state I know of that feeds her pupils.
And please don't tell me it's expensive, it's not for a country like hers expecially if all holes of thievery are blocked.
Osun does this and hasn't gone bankrupt.
Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by Laid2001: 2:15pm On Feb 12, 2015
KINGSNEEZE:
He can say that to the flies, so now he want to entice us with car tariff and OGA pastor which part of Lagos uses the module power plants?. I don't want to say u are lying cus is not for me to judge u after all u are a man of God but try not to lie next time

There is Island Power Plant. It is Situated on Marina road
There is Akute Power Plant supplying power for the Akute Water Works.

These are two Examples of Private Partnership power plants in Lagos

2 Likes

Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by JackDaniels1: 2:16pm On Feb 12, 2015
KINGSNEEZE:
He can say that to the flies, so now he want to entice us with car tariff and OGA pastor which part of Lagos uses the module power plants?. I don't want to say u are lying cus is not for me to judge u after all u are a man of God but try not to lie next time

Ignorance is a disease.It is advisable you do your research well enough before displaying your knowledge inept here for the whole world to see.A good example of IPP can be found on Marina,Lagos directly opposite Old Nitel building.This IPP serves all the state government offices on the Island.Island. Ikeja has too.

1 Like

Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by kingslly(m): 2:17pm On Feb 12, 2015
We r crawling already and bout to start walking under GEJ
ilugunboy:

Same school of thought with Oga......we will...we will....

You crawl....you walk....and then you run. You can't cut corners....
Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by Immune1(m): 2:18pm On Feb 12, 2015
Gbawe:

You gets the 'trust' of what Osinbajo is saying. The simplistic point is that "what is worth doing is worth doing well". You cannot starve Nigerians of affordable vehicles, when doing such creates another set of problems altogether, all for the sake of protecting "local industries" that cannot operate and produce optimally.

It is for similarly reasons we import refined crude in the form of petrol. This is a measure that keeps Nigeria economically functional till Nigerian refineries can produce enough to satisfy domestic reply. It is for the government to do its job so that our refineries can work optimally same Government must produce the conducive environments and conditions that will facilitate the growth of a local vehicle industry instead of just punishing Nigerians with high tariffs while doing little to deliver this conducive environment. If posters put sentiments aside they will see that Osinbajo is not advocating a measure that will harm local car production. He is merely saying that for now, and while efforts is made to improve other important factor which will enable the delivery of a high quality local car manufacturing sector, Nigerians should not pay a punitive price, in the form of high duty, for car import.

In most Nations of the world, leaders must strike a balance between protecting local industry and depriving citizens quality/freedom of choice whcih helps them get the best out of the work/productivity and leisure equation. It is patently wrong to try and force Nigerians to patronise made in Nigeria vehicles if those vehicles cannot meritoriously compete with the best available !!! Osinbajo makes the distinct point that local vehicle production cannot be encouraged to the detriment of giving Nigerians greater choices , through importation, when some of the factors that prevents the local production of high quality cars are still glaringly missing.

It is clear Osinbajo takes a broad and long-term view to local production, not local assembly, of cars because that is the only way to look at things if we want uncompromising quality that will make 'Nigerian cars' as good as any other. He argues that while a holistic environment is being created to achieve this local production of high quality cars Nigerians should still have the option of importing cars at reasonable costs. This is a perfectly reasonable solution that takes into consideration the need to try and have balances which suit all sides rather than deploy drastic and ill-thought out ideas that benefit no side at all. The Government cannot just say it wants to help the development of local production of cars using punitive tariffs while major problems impeding the growth of the local car industry are not addressed adequately eg power supply. On this thread, many are taking the view that it must be one (import) or the other (local production) while Osinbajo , correctly in my opinion, is of the view this does not have to be the case. A balance can be achieved, till we reach our target, which allows as many Nigerians as possible to be on the road.

You cant run before learning to crawl; the difference between full scale manufacturing and vehicle assembly we have today is a more complex supply chain and OEM local presence. I never really believed in the feasibility of the new auto-policy until i took out time to attend forums where officials of NAC further educated us on certain aspects of the policy as a whole.
Heard of RMB?Wesbank is their subsidiary and they will roll out specialized loans/financing for customers willing to buy from our local manufacturers. And for your information 70% of the 33manufacturers already on ground are commercial/Utility vehicle producers; this means passenger vehicles are not the primary targets for the first phase of the policy implementation.

I am an business analyst in the automotive industry and i can assure you that the policy is very feasible if all the other pieces of the puzzle are fixed; thats the more reason Nigeria needs continuity and a stable political ambience.

3 Likes

Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by Nobody: 2:18pm On Feb 12, 2015
Owliver:
this is not a wrong time sire. The industry is still young and we need to give it time and also encourage more direct investors. With that prices will reduce. Everything can't just go well in a single year na. Haba... Osibanjo is mad

What policy brought to birth the emergence of Innosun?
Before the policy, was Innosun dying?
Get ur house in order and see the so called investors trooping in because they themselves are looking for fresh markets. They don't need to be cajoled to come if infrastructures are perfect because they are looking for profit themselves.

2 Likes

Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by OLUJAY4REAL: 2:18pm On Feb 12, 2015
This is why methink it is consolidation on the foundation that has already been laid by this current regime that is germane to our progress as a country now especially with this global economic recession...not a serious drawback in the name of "change"
Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by Boss13: 2:21pm On Feb 12, 2015
deemdeem:

There should be free lunch for all public primary shool pupils. Infact, it's a shame we aren't doing such as at now except Osun state I know of that feeds her pupils.
And please don't tell me it's expensive, it's not for a country like hers expecially if all holes of thievery are blocked.
Osun does this and hasn't gone bankrupt.

The idea is not bad. I am only interested in the cost implication. I just feel it is a policy to appear popular because it may be difficult to implement. Like Soludo said, a plan without naira or kobo is a wish-list

1 Like

Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by JackDaniels1: 2:25pm On Feb 12, 2015
Boss13:

Many of these politicians do not know what they are saying. I am truly disappointed in APC because of certain reasons. They claim to be CHANGE. I do not see the change even after recruiting the Obama campaign organisers. If the Vice President candidate of APC cannot truly communicate the economic changes they are coming on board to implement then there is a problem because the VP is the chairman of the economic committee meeting. Stopping the importation of tomatoes and cassava and reducing import tariffs of second hand cars in order to encourage importation of cars are conflicting economic policies. Is he just saying all these to sway votes?

I will only comment on the feeding aspect for now.
The feeding programme is being implemented in the State of Osun and to God be the glory,it has been a great success,for the Govt,Parents and the farmers.
Look at this,there has been empowerment of the citizenry in the aspect of poultry in the state to supply eggs and cattle dealers to supply meat.While the parents are happy for feeding their wards,the food vendors are also happy by smiling to the bank.

All this is still in the same system

1 Like

Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by Nobody: 2:27pm On Feb 12, 2015
Boss13:

The idea is not bad. I am only interested in the cost implication. I just feel it is a policy to appear popular because it may be difficult to implement. Like Soludo said, a plan without naira or kobo is a wish-list

Actually it's a perfect ideal.
It will provide jobs.
Farmers will benefit And besides we are talking of pupils here not matured gluttons.
I don't Av the figures right now but one of the poorest states in Nigeria in terms of income generated is faithful with it without going bankrupt despite even having far more pupils than some known richer states, why can't it be a national
policy.

1 Like

Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by tbaba1234: 2:34pm On Feb 12, 2015
atlwireles:
So you're telling investors building assembly plants to back off undecided. Because you intend to reduce tariff, that have not gone up yet?

What is this decentralising power generation? Is power production currently centralised?

Distributed power is the way to go for Nigeria. It means harnessing what is available in a community to provide power for that community.

1 Like

Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by Immune1(m): 2:34pm On Feb 12, 2015
JackDaniels1:

The feeding programme is being implemented in the State of Osun and to God be the glory,it has been a great success,for the Govt,Parents and the farmers.
Look at this,there has been empowerment of the citizenry in the aspect of poultry in the state to supply eggs and cattle dealers to supply meat.While the parents are happy for feeding their wards,the food vendors are also happy by smiling to the bank.

In an ideal environment void of the TINIBU nepotism/favoritism, such distribution can truly favour the masses; if you dig further am sure you will find out that it is the same rich political affiliates of the governor that will get the contract to supply these meals. If you want to bring up the argument of more supply by the agro-traders; i can assure you that those kids will some how eat.......the say 30000kids fed are still part of the society whether or not government does the feeding.
Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by Immune1(m): 2:35pm On Feb 12, 2015
JackDaniels1:

In an ideal environment void of the TINIBU nepotism/favoritism, such distribution can truly favour the masses economically; if you dig further am sure you will find out that it is the same rich political affiliates of the governor that will get the contract to supply these meals. If you want to bring up the argument of more supply by the agro-traders; i can assure you that those kids will some how eat.......so say 30000kids fed are still part of the society whether or not government does the feeding.
Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by Fhemmmy: 2:38pm On Feb 12, 2015
Finally, they are speaking the right language . . . How could we increase tariff on rides cos we want to start producing rides, wait till you start and make sure there is constant electricity, then increase tariff to discourage importation of vehicles.

3 Likes

Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by elbinmanny(m): 2:39pm On Feb 12, 2015
[quote author=fkaz post=30635925][/quote] when GEJ has positioned Nigeria to be in the position of car manufacturing ... this pint sized prof is still talking about importing tokumbo cars... how him wan take create jobs kwanu? Oya kwontinu grin cheesy
Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by Ephemmm: 2:39pm On Feb 12, 2015
fkaz:
Nigeria need focus and Intelligent leaders, not the crop of leader that are ruling now

Honezly...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

DSS Arrests Doyin Okupe At MMIA, Lagos / Details Of The 2016 Budget Submitted To National Assembly / Atiku Abubakar Celebrates Children's Day (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.