Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,006 members, 7,852,428 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 06:03 PM

APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo (26924 Views)

Tariffs: Benin, Ghana Wage Economic War Against Nigeria / APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo / The New Electricity Tariffs From July 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by Nobody: 1:15pm On Feb 12, 2015
Justcash:

I deal on cars. Importation of cars does not have a spiraling effect on job creation as much as domestic manufacturing of cars. When you start to manufacture cars instead of importing them, it is like backward integration in job creation. Right from the point of production, jobs are being created. This includes supplies of foreign made components, technical aspect of production, marketing, sales, servicing and general administration. Then ofcourse, spiraling effects on outsourced services, medical personnel among others. Let's not forget that these cars can be exported. The process of exportation comes with its own spiraling effect on job creation. More still, organized servicing outfits will emerge all over the country to provide car servicing aids. Jobs are created by these servicing firms too.

When you import cars, you shed the production burden, and foreign labour replaces local labour. The impact on job creation is minimal when compared with local production. Because anybody can import cars, qualified Nigerians that can work in the auto manufacturing industry are left jobless. The best they can do is to rely on their entrepreneurial abilities to become mechanics.

[b]
I may not deal in cars but i buy cars and use them as I deem fit. Don't get me wrong. I desire that we should start producing and using strictly the cars we produce here. Of cos the benefits outweighs the benefits of just consuming what others produce. However it's wrong to say that there are no benefits at all.
Imported vehicles also bring jobs but definitely not as much as if we start doing and consuming it ourself.
This doesn't change my stance though about this good policy coming at a very wrong time. The basics needs to be sorted out first.
The bitter truth is if we produce and sell to ourselves at extremely high rate, who are the Nigerians that will buy it? Which Nigerian will prefer to buy a 2015 Innosun product when the same money and even less can fetch u a very clean tokunboh C Class Mercedes-Benz 2005. If Nigerians don't buy, won't these companies fold up, if they do what happens to the jobs created?
Govt should focus on the root which is the indices that makes producing very high first chief among power which invariably reflects in final cost hopefully at the reach of so many before increasing tariffs of[/b] imported vehicles.
Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by Boss13: 1:22pm On Feb 12, 2015
deemdeem:

And who told u that importation of cars doesn't create jobs. Starting from the buyer, clearing and forwarding agents, transporters, auto mechanics down to the scrap metal man that deals with the remnants. Don't be deceived, there is currently thousands if not millions benefitting from the status quo.
The truth is as long as prices of Nigerian made prices are at the high side, it will never be attractive to the vast majority. I don't blame the producers either, their cost of production is also high. If Nigerians don't buy, won't the company fold up? This should be our govt primary concern. help the companies in reducing their overhead therby reducing the cost of these vehicles therby becoming attractive to vast majority of Nigerians and not only govt.
Even with the increase in tariff, tokunboh cars are still cheaper, attractive and even safer so what really should be the primary catch to the Nigerian consumer?
again I state, the policy is good but the timing is wrong.

Nice comment, but I disagree that the timing is wrong. On a frank note, these manufacturers are yet to start rolling out vehicles. I have not seen any advert on the prices of Innoson vehicles. I have called the sales representatives on their website, the number never picks up. I don't know the operating model for Innoson (maybe demand outstrips supply) because it had to take political and presidential endorsement for the public to believe that Innoson actually manufactures/assembles vehicles.

The government should be interested now in organising a vehicle ownership financing scheme with low interest rate spread across the lifespan of the vehicle and likewise the option for trade-ins. I believe this is one way that can explode the automobile policy. The government should also be looking at implementing a credit system in the country as it is obtainable in developed countries. I do not want to start explaining the effect of a credit system, might bore some people. But trust me, if implemented right, the multiplier effect will be tremendous.

Policies should be drafted and implemented to at least affect 80% of the populace and not for the 1%.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by Nobody: 1:24pm On Feb 12, 2015
ilugunboy:

When you encourage 100-200 small modular power operators generating around 10MW per plant in each regions of Nigeria and dedicated to specific neighborhoods ...you can easily add around 2,000MW per region.....that is 12,000MW.

Honestly power generation and 24hr power supply is not a difficult science, as the likes of the Lagos State government, Dangote, Nigeria flour mills and BUA have proven to us.....its a science that have been in existence for several years ..

We just need a governemmt that can take such bold initiative and not the halfhearted privatization that was sold to us...

You don't know what you're talking about. What you're suggesting is not better than asking the government to buy an i-pass-my-neighbor for everybody in Nigeria.
Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by pedel: 1:27pm On Feb 12, 2015
How do you expect people on 18,000 per month minimum wages to buy the brand new cars? In developed countries there's auto-finance with interest rates regulated. If people can't afford the new cars the manufacturer will go back to where they come from. When you are thinking about eating 10 wraps of fufu, think about the hours you will spend in the toilet. 95% of our government policies are never designed to favour the masses. Tell me the benefits of the new car plate numbers and drivers licence.
J12:
It is stupid that a country like ours, which is in dire need of foreign direct investment would encourage policies that would shut out the inflow of the needed foreign investors in the country.
This is what the APC is trying to achieve if we follow Osinbajo's statements.

How will automobile manufacturing giants feel when they've signed an MoU with government with the aim setting up manufacturing plants in the country, with the government agreeing to making the automobile market a bit more comfortable for the manufacturers, Only for the government to renege on her agreement?

It increases our political risk and we may find it very difficult to attract foreign investor in years to come.

1 Like

Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by Burger01(m): 1:28pm On Feb 12, 2015
For this one...

It's sai Buhari 2015

GEJ Kirikiri 2015 undecided

2 Likes

Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by Justcash(m): 1:29pm On Feb 12, 2015
deemdeem:

I may not deal in cars but i buy cars and use them as I deem fit. Don't get me wrong. I desire that we should start producing and using strictly the cars we produce here. Of cos the benefits outweighs the benefits of just consuming what others produce. However it's wrong to say that there are no benefits at all.
Imported vehicles also bring jobs but definitely not as much as if we start doing and consuming it ourself.
This doesn't change my stance though about this good policy coming at a very wrong time. The basics needs to be sorted out first.
The bitter truth is if we produce and sell to ourselves at extremely high rate, who are the Nigerians that will buy it? If Nigerians don't buy, won't these companies fold up, if they do what happens to the jobs created?
Govt should focus on the root which is the indices that makes producing very high first chief among power which invariably reflects in final cost hopefully at the reach of so many before increasing tariffs of
imported vehicles.

What you are proposing is only feasible if local production has not commenced. I agree that infrastructural provision is paramount, I'm only saying that it can be gradually introduced to bring down the cost of production instead of tampering with the tariffs and killing local production. Government should strive to build on the jobs provided to generate more jobs instead of killing them.

As par buying the cars, Nigerians will get used to it, especially if more jobs are provided through replicating local manufacturing in other industries. Investments create jobs. Jobs create income. Income stimulates domestic consumption. Some countries are doing this e.g. Malaysia

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by ishiamu(m): 1:29pm On Feb 12, 2015
SeverusSnape:
Osinbajo at it again...Haba!

Please stop lying, Oh!...You're a lawyer, Worst of all; you're now a politician.
**in buhari's voice**....Kwotinue, It is fart of za jab.

The man has suddenly turned to a talkative overnight
Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by bumtos(m): 1:30pm On Feb 12, 2015
Let them start from Lagos. Let them slash the amount we are paying for land use charge and I will knw they really serious about what they are saying.

1 Like

Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by Nobody: 1:31pm On Feb 12, 2015
Boss13:

Nice comment, but I disagree that the timing is wrong. On a frank note, these manufacturers are yet to start rolling out vehicles. I have not seen any advert on the prices of Innoson vehicles. I have called the sales representatives on their website, the number never picks up. I don't know the operating model for Innoson (maybe demand outstrips supply) because it had to take political and presidential endorsement for the public to believe that Innoson actually manufactures/assembles vehicles.

I respect ur view also. Actually I choose to restrict myself to Innosun for now because I am not totally ignorant about it. Those made in Nigeria cars are expensive. I don't blame the manufacturer also because I also appreciate that his cost of production is also very high.

The government should be interested now in organising a vehicle ownership financing scheme with low interest rate spread across the lifespan of the vehicle and likewise the option for trade-ins. I believe this is one way that can explode the automobile policy. The government should also be looking at implementing a credit system in the country as it is obtainable in developed countries. I do not want to start explaining the effect of a credit system, might bore some people. But trust me, if implemented right, the multiplier effect will be tremendous.

Now we are talking. If u want Nigerians to buy these made in Nigeria vehicles as it is done in other countries then financing schemes of various kinds with less killing interest should be available also. For now, it's mainly cash down.

Policies should be drafted and implemented to at least affect 80% of the populace and not for the 1%

Wellsaid. The truth is vast majority of these 80% can't even afford the cheapest Innosun cash down but some could if there is a good finance arrangement available to them.

Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by Boss13: 1:32pm On Feb 12, 2015
Justcash:

The investment is already in place. It needs to be protected because it creates jobs, then deficient infrastructural facilities should be added to reduce the cost of production. That is a better strategy than the reduction of tariff. If you reduce tariff, you'll kill the production plants. It is better to ban the importation of cars to protect domestic jobs. With time, Nigerians will get used to the price and the spiraling job creation impact of supporting industries will be enormous. As expected, imported brands will seek for ways to manufacture locally for profit and government's protection.

OSINBANJO is not thinking properly.

Laughs, it is only a man who has stolen money or intends to launder money that thinks of car manufacturing as creating jobs. A business man should be thinking, how many cars can I sell in a month? Only government should be thinking of creating jobs without any form of sales. If a business man manufactures 10,000 units of cars per month, without any sales, he would have manufactured 120,000 units of vehicles parked at the store. With no sales, he cannot pay salary. Hence the jobs he has created from opening the factory would be lost because of lack of patronage.

So it is in the best interest of the car manufacturers that average nigerians can purchase their products. Else - Shop go close.

3 Likes

Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by ceejayluv(m): 1:33pm On Feb 12, 2015
ilugunboy:
It's is criminal to shot up tarrif on imported new and second hand car without a corresponding increase in local production at competitive price.

You only encourage smuggling and the resultant loss of revenue to the government by way of reduced custom duty...

You can't inconvenient Nigerians because of some cabal close to the seat of government ...promising the govt they can meet demand, which obviously is a daunting task...
But the Prof also promised to ban importation of rice outright .... Knowing that we've not attained,self-sufficiency in rice production.
Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by richidinho(m): 1:33pm On Feb 12, 2015
U are planning to take us backward

Don't worry no need for that

NIGERIA UNDER GEJ has started producing Made in Nigeria cars and exporting to other countries

1 Like

Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by Nobody: 1:34pm On Feb 12, 2015
pedel:
How do you expect people on 18,000 per month minimum wages to buy the brand new cars? In developed countries there's auto-finance with interest rates regulated. If people can't afford the new cars the manufacturer will go back to where they come from. When you are thinking about eating 10 wraps of fufu, think about the hours you will spend in the toilet. 95% of our government policies are never designed to favour the masses. Tell me the benefits of the new car plate numbers and drivers licence.

That's a very shallow method of thinking. Nigerians find it very difficult to look at the big picture. Think about the future after the policy is implemented and imagine the benefits on the economy, all these things you complained about will begin to develop when the policy is in full effect.

If you're told to eat 10 wraps of fufu to cure a serious sickness, won't you happily eat more than that?
Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by free2ryhme: 1:35pm On Feb 12, 2015
By God's grace, you & Buhari will emerge victorious in March 28, 2015 election. We trust you

2 Likes

Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by richidinho(m): 1:36pm On Feb 12, 2015
bumtos:
Let them start from Lagos. Let them slash the amount we are paying for land use charge and I will knw they really serious about what they are saying.

what of Road Use Charge (Tinubu Toll Gate)
Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by TippyTop(m): 1:37pm On Feb 12, 2015
He said under APC government, it would be criminal not to pay pensions, saying the law that would be put in place would compel employers to ensure pensioners got their entitlements as soon as they retire.

Osinbajo added that the job creation strategy would involve making loans available to small businesses with little or no interest.

Where is the money going to come from to build this utopia?
APC supporters are the least intelligent set of peoples in Nigeria, this won't fly amongst educated folks who're mostly in PDP.
Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by free2ryhme: 1:37pm On Feb 12, 2015
richidinho:

U are planning to take us backward

Don't worry no need for that

NIGERIA UNDER GEJ has started producing Made in Nigeria cars and exporting to other countries

They are all assembly plants creating jobs for the manufacturer countries. Power must be fix before this companies can be viable. Cars produced on generators. What's going to be the cost to the buyers.
Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by fineworker24(m): 1:37pm On Feb 12, 2015
kenis:
APC is really determined to take us 40 years backwards
What else do you expect from a janjawwed congregation.
Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by onagoodday1: 1:39pm On Feb 12, 2015
atlwireles:
So you're telling investors building assembly plants to back off undecided. Because you intend to reduce tariff, that have not gone up yet?

What is this decentralising power generation? Is power production currently centralised?
when a pastor leaves the alter to co.habit with thieves and corrupt and controversial certificate owners...what do u expect....buhari will stabilize oil price...his vice will slash tarrif..am missing sth

2 Likes

Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by okeyokeyjah(m): 1:39pm On Feb 12, 2015
You too make noise

1 Like

Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by AreaFada2: 1:40pm On Feb 12, 2015
Well, that will kill FDI. Nissan & co will pack up & go. More job losses.

This kind "Osinbadenomics" na wa o. grin

1 Like

Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by Nobody: 1:41pm On Feb 12, 2015
I understand Osinbajo is a Professor of Law and Buhari however you cannot and should not make promises to an entire nation that are detrimental to the economy and local businesses. rather; you should say

1: Work on Power Generation and Power Infrastructure over the next feasible XYZ years
2: Re-enegize and activate The Ajaokuta Steel Mill so that raw materials for Vehicle Production can be sourced locally (at least some of it)
3: Work on a Manufacturers Trade-Development Zone so Toyota and others can setup shop to Manufacture in Nigeria
4: Waive Local Production Tax,Land Tax and Import Tax for car manufacturers
5: Improve Economic Security of regions where these car manufacturers will set up

You are there picking aimless visions from the cloud of Redeemed Camp to sell fog to Nigerians.. I am highly disappointed to the illiteracy levels you have now sunk..

Your Promise is neither workable or sustainable.. you are simply LYING THROUGH YOUR AGING TEETH.. Praise Allah BUHARI still has some left

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by princejayboss: 1:41pm On Feb 12, 2015
fkaz:
Nigeria need focus and Intelligent leaders, not the crop of leader that are ruling now

Intelligent? ..... Sentiment is our biggest problem.... He fail to know that our country produces cars now... He is too old to know that

1 Like

Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by major466(m): 1:42pm On Feb 12, 2015
Osinbajo is proving himself to be very clueless daily just like his boss pa Buhari. How on earth can you encourage local production of goods when cheap products are allowed into the country APC need a bit of lecture on how to stimulate local manufacturing and production in a free market economy like Nigeria. The influx of cheap automobiles from Japan and Korea was the reason why the US designed "Super 301" blue print to protect their local manufacturers in the late 80s.

3 Likes

Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by annibro(f): 1:43pm On Feb 12, 2015
Akinsz:
PDP Poverty Development Party

Pack of Deceptive People
Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by Nobody: 1:43pm On Feb 12, 2015
pedel:
This is the most informed contribution so far on this subject. How do you expect people who have never left Nigerian boarder to understand that there must be a financial system in place before those policies can work. Some people are just quoting economic theories that they learnt in the university whereas our national circumstances does not yet support them. Now I can't afford a new car, no bank is going to give car loans at reasonable interest rate and I can't afford an imported car because of the tariff. So tell me how the policy benefit me.

IF YOU CANNOT BUY A MADE IN NIGERIA CAR, THEN WORK HARDER, SAVE AND EARN MORE MONEY SO YOU CAN AFFORD IT.

If you can't. Then stick to using commercial transportation.

1 Like

Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by melomelo: 1:44pm On Feb 12, 2015
This former rccg province pastor is a great liar. This is what i hate most.
In the book of St. John 8:31-32, the bible says
31. "So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, "If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine;
32. and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
Remember; pastor Osinbajo, from God's sanctuary to Aso-rock.
Heavenly or Worldly where are you sir.
Pure evidence of backsliding in your life, a whole RCCG province pastor
The mighty are falling
Heaven is real. Jesus is coming back
Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by yahx(m): 1:44pm On Feb 12, 2015
[quote author=fkaz post=30635925][/quote]instead of reducing pump price in order to reduce transport fee u talking bwt car importation hw many average nigerian can afford a car #u need d CHANGE#b4 u TALK. BWT CHANGE
Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by princejayboss: 1:46pm On Feb 12, 2015
free2ryhme:

They are all assembly plants creating jobs for the manufacturer countries. Power must be fix before this companies can be viable. Cars produced on generators. What's going to be the cost to the buyers.

If you dont no what to speak, some can help you out..... Nigeria now makes car QED
Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by iiichidodo: 1:46pm On Feb 12, 2015
Ok let us kill the automotive industry the way dictator buhari killed textile industries by allowing free flow of imported cars via low tarriffs....i

1 Like 1 Share

Re: APC Will Slash Tariffs On Imported Cars -osinbajo by richidinho(m): 1:46pm On Feb 12, 2015
PROF. OSIBANDE

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Timeline Of Ikom Bridge In Cross River State (Pictures) / Why Buhari Had To Abandon His Campaign Promises-lai Mohamed / 2 People Emerge Guber Candidate Of PDP In Ogun State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.