Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,125 members, 7,818,374 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:50 PM

Atheist Terrorist? Atheist Murders 3 Muslims - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheist Terrorist? Atheist Murders 3 Muslims (2863 Views)

Mark Zuckerberg Is Not An Atheist? / Pope Francis To Wash & Kiss The Feet Of 4 Nigerian Catholics, 3 Muslims,5 Others / Atheist Kills 3 Muslims Execution Style (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheist Terrorist? Atheist Murders 3 Muslims by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 5:40pm On Feb 11, 2015
An anti-theist, by the name of Craig Stephen Hicks, has been charged with the murder of three muslims after he turned himself in to the police. Prior to the murders, he had anti-religious posts on his Facebook account.

The man arrested on suspicion of killing three young Muslims in North Carolina described himself as an “anti-theist” and criticised all religions online.

Police said 46-year-old Craig Stephen Hicks handed himself in to officers in Chapel Hill overnight in the wake of the deaths of 23-year-old Deah Shaddy Barakat, his wife Yusor Mohammad, 21, and her sister, Razan Mohammad Abu-Salha, 19.

He has been arrested and charged with three counts of first-degree murder.As tributes poured in for the young family, a Facebook page in Hicks’ name showed that he read paralegal studies at Durham Technical Community College and described himself as a supporter of “Atheists for Equality”.

A regular social media user, his last three posts were a cute dog video about the Pavlov effect, a viral advert for Air New Zealand involving mountain bikes, and a picture from United Atheists of America asking “why radical Christians and radical Muslims are so opposed to each others’ influence when they agree about so many ideological issues”.

TV programmes liked by Hicks include The Atheist Experience, Criminal Minds and Friends, while he describes himself as a fan of Thomas Paine’s The Age of Reason and Richard Dawkins’ The God Delusion.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/chapel-hill-shooting-craig-stephen-hicks-condemned-all-religions-on-facebook-prior-to-muslim-massmurder-arrest-10038126.html
Re: Atheist Terrorist? Atheist Murders 3 Muslims by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 5:49pm On Feb 11, 2015
When a dog bite a man it is no news,when a man bite a dog it is a big news.RIP

2 Likes

Re: Atheist Terrorist? Atheist Murders 3 Muslims by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 5:50pm On Feb 11, 2015
mkpakanaodogwu:
When a dog bite a man it is no news,when a man bite a dog it is a big news.RIP

Hmmm. I like that proverb!
Re: Atheist Terrorist? Atheist Murders 3 Muslims by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 5:52pm On Feb 11, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Hmmm. I like that proverb!
thanks
Re: Atheist Terrorist? Atheist Murders 3 Muslims by BrightEye(m): 5:56pm On Feb 11, 2015
Each individuals, regardless of their system of beliefs or religions, have a certain kind of instinct that defines the attitudes they display in there given societies.

Religion or system of belief doesn't control man, man controls himself!
Re: Atheist Terrorist? Atheist Murders 3 Muslims by onetrack(m): 6:02pm On Feb 11, 2015
I'm an atheist. It was only a matter of time before something like this happened, given the millions of atheists in the world (though the murder may have been about a parking space and not so much just about religion). Being an atheist does not guarantee good, kind, decent conduct from someone. In fact, it doesn't necessarily say anything about someone's personality. There is no atheist code to live by. No holy book of atheism calls for us to wage war until everyone accepts our rule. We are not promised virgins for dying in the cause of atheism.

I'm inclined to say that this is more of a rare incident than a pattern. Now, if atheist groups start forming in different countries with the goal of terrorizing a population through suicide bombs, random attacks, abductions of civilians, and school massacres, all in the hopes of creating an atheist nation, then I will be worried about what atheism means. Until then this is an isolated occurrence.

Regardless of motive this was a terrible act and I feel for the families like I feel for the families of those killed in other terrorist attacks. May the killer suffer the same fate as Boko Haram bastards.

5 Likes

Re: Atheist Terrorist? Atheist Murders 3 Muslims by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 6:05pm On Feb 11, 2015
onetrack:
I'm an atheist. It was only a matter of time before something like this happened, given the millions of atheists in the world (though the murder may have been about a parking space and not so much just about religion). Being an atheist does not guarantee good, kind, decent conduct from someone. In fact, it doesn't necessarily say anything about someone's personality. There is no atheist code to live by. No holy book of atheism calls for us to wage war until everyone accepts our rule. We are not promised virgins for dying in the cause of atheism.

I'm inclined to say that this is more of a rare incident than a pattern. Now, if atheist groups start forming in different countries with the goal of terrorizing a population through suicide bombs, random attacks, abductions of civilians, and school massacres, all in the hopes of creating an atheist nation, then I will be worried about what atheism means. Until then this is an isolated occurrence.

Regardless of motive this was a terrible act and I feel for the families like I feel for the families of those killed in other terrorist attacks. May the killer suffer the same fate as Boko Haram bastards.

It is good you confessed. The way you atheists normally bash christians and muslims as if you are better- now the shoe is on the other foot.

3 Likes

Re: Atheist Terrorist? Atheist Murders 3 Muslims by BrightEye(m): 6:12pm On Feb 11, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

It is good you confessed. The way you atheists normally bash christians and muslims as if you are better- now the shoe is on the other foot.

You probably didn't understand what he/she wrote......!

1 Like

Re: Atheist Terrorist? Atheist Murders 3 Muslims by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 6:13pm On Feb 11, 2015
BrightEye:

You probably didn't understand what he/she wrote......!

I understood it. He came clean and said that atheism doesn't make anyone more moral (doesnt guarantee one to be good or kind)

2 Likes

Re: Atheist Terrorist? Atheist Murders 3 Muslims by plaetton: 6:14pm On Feb 11, 2015
BrightEye:
Each individuals, regardless of their system of beliefs or religions, have a certain kind of instinct that defines the attitudes they display in there given societies.

Religion or system of belief doesn't control man, man controls himself!
No.
Man has little freewill.
The problem with religion is that it promotes and exaggerates the basest, most primitive instincts of man.

1 Like

Re: Atheist Terrorist? Atheist Murders 3 Muslims by BrightEye(m): 6:20pm On Feb 11, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

I understood it. He came clean and said that atheism doesn't make anyone more moral (doesnt guarantee one to be good or kind)

Then this keeps me wandering why you earlier wrote about the assertion that "same atheists normally bash christians and muslims..", which is not moral.

1 Like

Re: Atheist Terrorist? Atheist Murders 3 Muslims by BrightEye(m): 6:25pm On Feb 11, 2015
plaetton:

No.
Man has little freewill.
The problem with religion is that it promotes and exaggerates the basest, most primitive instincts of man.

Lolz... What is 'litlle freewill' again.
A man having a good intent towards anything, would never be distorted instintively, no matter how little his/her freewill is.
Re: Atheist Terrorist? Atheist Murders 3 Muslims by onetrack(m): 6:30pm On Feb 11, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

I generally bash religion itself, not so much the followers unless they engage in oppression or acts of violence in the name of said religion.

I will continue to bash organized religion, as I think it's a pile of nonsense created to control people.

1 Like

Re: Atheist Terrorist? Atheist Murders 3 Muslims by okosodo: 6:36pm On Feb 11, 2015
bushmeat catch hunter
Re: Atheist Terrorist? Atheist Murders 3 Muslims by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 6:39pm On Feb 11, 2015
onetrack:

I generally bash religion itself, not so much the followers unless they engage in oppression or acts of violence in the name of said religion.

I will continue to bash organized religion, as I think it's a pile of nonsense created to control people.

As a christian, I differ.
Re: Atheist Terrorist? Atheist Murders 3 Muslims by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 6:40pm On Feb 11, 2015
BrightEye:

Then this keeps me wandering why you earlier wrote about the assertion that "same atheists normally bash christians and muslims..", which is not moral.

You probably misunderstood my comment

1 Like

Re: Atheist Terrorist? Atheist Murders 3 Muslims by Maamin(m): 7:03pm On Feb 11, 2015
where are the Atheists that claimed to be the best of morally upright of humankind, to come and make excuses for this terrorist grin

1 Like

Re: Atheist Terrorist? Atheist Murders 3 Muslims by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 7:04pm On Feb 11, 2015
Maamin:
where are the Atheists that claimed to be the best of morally upright of humankind, to come and make excuses for this terrorist grin

grin grin grin
Re: Atheist Terrorist? Atheist Murders 3 Muslims by plaetton: 7:40pm On Feb 11, 2015
BrightEye:

Lolz... What is 'litlle freewill' again.
A man having a good intent towards anything, would never be distorted instintively, no matter how little his/her freewill is.

My point is man does not have as much freewill as he thinks that he has.
His genes give him a predisposition to various external influences. His primitive instincts are sensitive and vulnerable to manipulation.
A religious belief caters to the primitive areas of the mind.

2 Likes

Re: Atheist Terrorist? Atheist Murders 3 Muslims by davien(m): 7:56pm On Feb 11, 2015
This is rare.....atleast it breaks the christian/muslim fanatical killings.
Re: Atheist Terrorist? Atheist Murders 3 Muslims by Weah96: 8:24pm On Feb 11, 2015
Maamin:

Atheism is the belief that there is no personal God. What one does with that belief is based on his character. As the late Hitchens used to say, in the absence of religion, good men will be good, and bad men will be bad. But in order to get good men to do horrible things, religion must be the catalyst.
Re: Atheist Terrorist? Atheist Murders 3 Muslims by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 8:32pm On Feb 11, 2015
Weah96:

Atheism is the belief that there is no personal God. What one does with that belief is based on his character. As the late Hitchens used to say, in the absence of religion, good men will be good, and bad men will be bad. But in order to get good men to do horrible things, religion must be the catalyst.

The killer in this news didn't need religion to do this evil deed. And he was a good citizen for 46 years of his life.

1 Like

Re: Atheist Terrorist? Atheist Murders 3 Muslims by Maamin(m): 8:55pm On Feb 11, 2015
Weah96:

Ok what is the catalyst behind this your Atheist brother's barbaric act? grin

1 Like

Re: Atheist Terrorist? Atheist Murders 3 Muslims by johnydon22(m): 9:23pm On Feb 11, 2015
He killed them, then turned himself in... commendable
This is evil, it is not moral to kill another human..
Now the question is, why did he kill, was it their personal conflict, robbery or for atheism?
Re: Atheist Terrorist? Atheist Murders 3 Muslims by johnydon22(m): 9:30pm On Feb 11, 2015
Maamin:

What so ever reason he killed them must be his own personal issue...
It is evil and bad to take anothers life... But the issue behind his actions now is what?

Millions of people die everyday from armed robbery, mugging, even here in nigeria by cult wars and rioting and most of this people concerned are theists.. but you dont see anyone creating a thread for it cus everybody knows its just a day to day happening in the world...
Re: Atheist Terrorist? Atheist Murders 3 Muslims by Weah96: 10:17pm On Feb 11, 2015
Maamin:

Probably his hatred for theists. If there weren't any theists, he would have found someone to hate for something else. Bad people are bad.
Re: Atheist Terrorist? Atheist Murders 3 Muslims by Weah96: 10:18pm On Feb 11, 2015
Maamin:

Probably his hatred for theists. If there weren't any theists, he would have found someone to kill for another reason. Bad people are bad.
Re: Atheist Terrorist? Atheist Murders 3 Muslims by Maamin(m): 11:07pm On Feb 11, 2015
Weah96:

Probably his hatred for theists. If there weren't any theists, he would have found someone to kill for another reason. Bad people are bad.

Can the same yardstick be used for theist that kill others that does not share the same faith as them?

You see, which ever way you pet up the act of this Atheist..it does not neglect the fact that something he so much believed in has led him to commit this tripple homicide.

1 Like

Re: Atheist Terrorist? Atheist Murders 3 Muslims by Maamin(m): 11:24pm On Feb 11, 2015
johnydon22:

What so ever reason he killed them must be his own personal issue...
It is evil and bad to take anothers life... But the issue behind his actions now is what?

Millions of people die everyday from armed robbery, mugging, even here in nigeria by cult wars and rioting and most of this people concerned are theists.. but you dont see anyone creating a thread for it cus everybody knows its just a day to day happening in the world...

Here you go!..but I thought an Atheist is well behaved in the society..dont you find it demeaning and accumulation of hatred from what he has been feeding on as an Atheist against theist? Ofcourse bad people are everywhere..they only need the right reason to justify their evil acts. So talking about catalyst that induce this Atheist guy..should not be far within his believe system.

1 Like

Re: Atheist Terrorist? Atheist Murders 3 Muslims by johnydon22(m): 11:28pm On Feb 11, 2015
Maamin:

Here you go!..but I thought an Atheist is well behaved in the society..dont you find it demeaning and accumulation of hatred from what he has been feeding on as an Atheist against theist? Ofcourse bad people are everywhere..they only need the right reason to justify their evil acts. So talking about catalyst that induce this Atheist guy..should not be far within his believe system.
And where did i make such assertions?
Re: Atheist Terrorist? Atheist Murders 3 Muslims by johnydon22(m): 11:33pm On Feb 11, 2015
Maamin:

Can we now say that all the theist robbing and killing has something to do with their religion?
Re: Atheist Terrorist? Atheist Murders 3 Muslims by johnydon22(m): 11:34pm On Feb 11, 2015
Maamin:

Can we now say that all the theist robbing and killing in the society everyday has something to do with their religion?

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Lies Christian Fundamentalism Taught Me / Is Menstruation Now A Sin Unto God??? / Sermon And Prayer Points By Pastor E A Adeboye. Ceaseless Prayer. RCCG Open Heav

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.