Stats: 3,152,854 members, 7,817,529 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:48 PM

Question - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Question (1339 Views)

Mentally-Unstable Woman Seen With Her Baby Wondering In Ogba, Lagos / Ladies, How Do You Cope With Insensitive Husbands? / I Can’t Cope With His Big Manhood- Wife Tells Court (2) (3) (4)

Question by Kulikulitapa: 2:02am On Feb 12, 2015
Re: Question by Gboliwe: 2:23am On Feb 12, 2015
No, I won't cope. I won't even attempt to cope. I just know I won't cope. I used to think marriage was hinged on full disclosure. So, what do we call this one? After marriage surprise package? I won't cope.

I once worked as accounts officer for a private hospital where the assistant medical director had mental issues. The MD lived abroad and would only visit and spend some days, the director present on ground 80% of the time was the one with the mental challenge. I saw "hell" then. I always took the brunt when he misses his medication. Now, imagine being married to such a person where I will for the rest of my life be there to clean up his mess, apologise and keep apologising on his behalf and if there's a violent streak, endure it. Sorry, no, I won't cope.
Re: Question by slimyem: 6:12am On Feb 12, 2015
How could he not have known?
How long did they date?
The lady's family kept it from him too? That's unfair?
Will I cope at all? I dunno. it means I might not be able to depend on him physically,emotionally or even financially.I would feel trapped . I would hang in there for sometime and try to honour my for better and worse and but eventually my coping strategies would give way and I would break.
Mental illness never goes away. I don't think I would want to help a spouse manage that for the rest of. my life.
Re: Question by zeezahbee(f): 6:29am On Feb 12, 2015
It would have been a different case if the lady had told him before they married.

He has 2 choices. To help her with her medications and fight the disorder off
OR
To leave her if he can not deal with it.
Re: Question by 5minsmadness: 10:20am On Feb 12, 2015
@kulikulitapa.

It is not easy living with a mentally unstable partner. It requires a lot of patience and watchfulness on your part. Having said that, mental illness is like any chronic illness e.g diabetes and hypertension. Treatment is for life but as long as the person takes her medications regularly the mental illness will not appear.
Imagine she was able to hide it from him while they were courting. It means she was being careful for it not to show and taking her medications regularly. What probably happened was that after marriage she would have found it difficult to keep hiding her drugs from him, hence she would probably have not been taking her drugs regularly. Also, the first year of marriage is stressful on most couples as they are trying to adjust living up close with each others behaviours. Tempers and irritation are bound to arise once in a while. This extra stress can trigger the mental illness and make it come more frequently.

What to do
The man should forgive the lady. Mental illness has a serious social stigma as seen by some of the replies here. She lied and that was terrible but if he truly loves her enough to marry her he should try and forgive this one imperfection. She too should apologise wholeheartedly to him cos he'll be feeling hurt and decieved.

2. Reassure both couples. If she was able to hide it from him during courtship then it means it can be controlled.

3. She should take her meds regularly, not only when she is feeling down but regularly. Also he should be her support partner by reminding her to take her drugs or even setting an alarm for her. Doing this will let her feel reassured that he is supporting and reduce her stress and worry. It also ensures she doesn't forget her meds as well. As long as she takes her meds she wont misbehave.

4. They should have a regular psychiatrist who they can visit once a month or once every two or three months to know how far she is coping and so on. Going to all these govt hospitals they will just give her sedating medicines which treat the symptoms but does not cure it.

Mental illness is just that, an illness. It won't stop her from enjoying her life or having kids or anything like that as long as she keeps the illness in check by taking her drugs regularly.

Peace.

Re: Question by Nobody: 10:44am On Feb 12, 2015
5minsmadness:
@kulikulitapa.

It is not was living with a mentally unstable partner. It requires a lot of patience and watchfulness on your part. Having said that, mental illness is like any chronic illness e.g diabetes and hypertension. Treatment is for life but as long as the person takes her medications regularly the mental illness will not appear.
Imagine she was able to hide it from him while they were courting. It means she was being careful for it not to show and taking her medications regularly. What probably happened was that after marriage she would have found it difficult to keep hiding yet drugs from him, hence she would probably have not been taking her drugs regularly. Also, the first year of marriage is stressful on most couples as they are trying to adjust living up close with each others behaviours. Tempers and irritation are bound to arise once in a while. This extra stress can trigger the mental illness and make it come more frequently.

What to do
The man should forgive the lady. Mental illness has a serious social stigma as seen by some of the replies here. She lied and that was terrible but if he truly loves her enough to marry her he should try and forgive this one imperfection. She too should apologise wholeheartedly to him cos he'll be feeling hurt and decieved.

2. Reassure both couples. If she was able to hide it from him during courtship then it means it can be controlled.

3. She should take her meds regularly, not only when she is feeling down but regularly. Also he should be her support partner by reminding her to take her drugs or even setting an alarm for her. Doing this will let her feel reassured that he is supporting and reduce her stress and worry. It also ensures she doesn't forget her meds as well. As long as she takes her meds she wont misbehave.

4. They should have a regular psychiatrist who they can visit once a month or once every two or three months to know how far she is coping and so on. Going to all these govt hospitals they will just give her sedating medicines which treat the symptoms but does not cure it.

Mental illness is just that, an illness. It won't stop her from enjoying her life or having kids or anything like that as long as she keeps the illness in check by taking her drugs regularly.

Peace.
Very good smiley
Re: Question by 5minsmadness: 11:16am On Feb 12, 2015
Flytefalls:

Very good smiley
I know, right? This Xanax is great grin
Re: Question by Nobody: 11:20am On Feb 12, 2015
5minsmadness:

I know, right? This Xanax is great grin
Yes! Your 5 min madness cure has allowed us to observe a greater you grin

Re: Question by Kulikulitapa: 12:22pm On Feb 12, 2015
5minsmadness:
@kulikulitapa.

It is not easy living with a mentally unstable partner. It requires a lot of patience and watchfulness on your part. Having said that, mental illness is like any chronic illness e.g diabetes and hypertension. Treatment is for life but as long as the person takes her medications regularly the mental illness will not appear.
Imagine she was able to hide it from him while they were courting. It means she was being careful for it not to show and taking her medications regularly. What probably happened was that after marriage she would have found it difficult to keep hiding her drugs from him, hence she would probably have not been taking her drugs regularly. Also, the first year of marriage is stressful on most couples as they are trying to adjust living up close with each others behaviours. Tempers and irritation are bound to arise once in a while. This extra stress can trigger the mental illness and make it come more frequently.

What to do

Peace.

Thanks and God bless sir.
Re: Question by 5minsmadness: 12:44pm On Feb 12, 2015
Kulikulitapa:

Thanks and God bless sir.
You r welcome.
Re: Question by coldgate(f): 9:45pm On Feb 12, 2015
It depends. Was the man aware of her health condition. It would be unfair to expect him to stomach something he did not
bargain for if it is a pre existing condition. However, if the mental condition came up after marriage, he has no choice but to stand by her.
Re: Question by Kulikulitapa: 9:50am On Feb 13, 2015
coldgate:
It depends. Was the man aware of her health condition. It would be unfair to expect him to stomach something he did not
bargain for if it is a pre existing condition. However, if the mental condition came up after marriage, he has no choice but to stand by her.

Thanks please. He was not aware throughout courtship, the guy has tried all his possible best to assist her but the sickness keep coming and going taking a serious toll on his job and life generally.
Re: Question by obowunmi(m): 12:09pm On Feb 13, 2015
5minsmadness:
@kulikulitapa.

What to do

Peace.

Mental illness is not just an illness.

It's hereditary in some cases.

I once dated someone who had a family history of bipolar and schizophrenia.
The way I left ehn, my leg didn't touch the floor. I ran. If you want your kids and family line to be exposed to the possibility of having a disease then go for it.

Re: Question by 5minsmadness: 12:44pm On Feb 13, 2015
obowunmi:

The way I left ehn, my leg didn't touch the floor. I ran. If you want your kids and family line to be exposed to the possibility of having a disease then go for it.

Hypertension and diabetes are also hereditary. Nothing special about it.
The issue here is that he has married the woman already. And he needs to know the steps to take to help her.
Re: Question by Wendy80(f): 3:27pm On Feb 13, 2015
It's not easy to cope with a mentally stable person in marriage sometimes how much more a mentally sick person. If he wasn't told b4 marriage then it's really unfair cos that's enuf reason not to marry someone in my place. All d same they're married so he should help her get help/medication to keep her stable.
I can imagine d stigma.
Re: Question by Pennywise(m): 3:30pm On Feb 13, 2015
I can cope but the thought of getting stabbed while you sleep will definitely make it difficult.
Re: Question by slimyem: 4:15pm On Feb 13, 2015
obowunmi:

you are always running.When will you arrive your destination? tongue

Re: Question by obowunmi(m): 4:59pm On Feb 13, 2015
slimyem:
you are always running.When will you arrive your destination? tongue

Long time, my wife. kiss grin

I've missed you.
Re: Question by obowunmi(m): 5:00pm On Feb 13, 2015
5minsmadness:

Hypertension and diabetes are also hereditary. Nothing special about it.
The issue here is that he has married the woman already. And he needs to know the steps to take to help her.

Leave her at the psychiatric center and move on with his life.

Re: Question by tit(f): 5:48pm On Feb 13, 2015
obowunmi:

Leave her at the psychiatric center and move on with his life.

you no send ooo

Re: Question by obowunmi(m): 5:54pm On Feb 13, 2015
tit:

you no send ooo

Man has only one life to live.

Shouldn't include the burden of another human, am I her parents?
Re: Question by Wendy80(f): 6:24pm On Feb 13, 2015
Pennywise:
I can cope but the thought of getting stabbed while you sleep will definitely make it difficult.

My thought too
Re: Question by cococandy(f): 6:27pm On Feb 13, 2015
He shouldn't try to cope with that. That's why mentally ill people should be in facilities designed to take care of them.
They pose a risk to themselves and their loved ones. Putting up with that is not love. Getting them the help they need is love.
Also Best to not try to reproduce at all if her illness is the hereditary type.

Hiding it from him is criminal and can get the marriage annulled as like it never took place but that is by the way. Although he can't be blamed if he chooses that route.

Re: Question by Nobody: 6:36pm On Feb 13, 2015
What kind of mental illness is it?

Many mental illnesses can be treated with medication and the ill people including their families live a normal life.

Should Husbands Pay For Items Bought In Their Wives' Shops? / See One Of Our "Future" Wife / How To Safeguard Your Hard Earned Naira From Further Loosing Value.

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55