Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,534 members, 7,954,997 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:02 PM

Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Can't Get A Job - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Can't Get A Job (2506 Views)

7 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Fresh Graduate Find It Hard To Get A Job / Sad But True Fact Most Nigerian Graduates Face Everyday(pic) / 13 Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Can't Get A Job by kinibigdeal(m): 11:12am On Feb 13, 2015
Let me drive you through the highway of survey on why some graduate's find it hard to get a job, the truth is, there are no jobs but the fact is "there are jobs" while some complain of getting a job others get bored of changing job often. Here I will succinctly highlight some few points I discovered through survey and interview from the players in the industry.

1. Little or no work experience

Many graduates are bug down with the assumption that their degree alone will qualify them for a job, I can still remember a colleague of mine in school then with such notions until he was faced with reality. The truth is, there are more competition nowadays, the polytechnic/university are producing large numbers of graduate yearly with little jobs available. What is going to seperate or distinguish you from others "is your little work experience" I.e. Either from your SIWES or internship or during your NYSC service e.t.c almost all jobs in Nigeria nowadays requires a job experience, how then will your degree save you when some other graduate's applying for same job have little or more job experience than you with non. One way to help yourself is to swallow your pride, most of us claim we cannot work in a company that is not going to pay(especially during our IT programme) which is a major problem. Even after graduating you can still work in a company beneath you even if the pay is so small to sustain you, all you are doing is building your CV with work experience. You've got to start somewhere, and if you didn't take time to gather decent work experience during your university years, this is the price you may have to pay. Always keep it in mind that jobs can lead to other jobs. You never know if the job you think is beneath can lead to the job you want.

2. Increased competition

Thanks to Pa. Awolowo where education is now free, the days of rich and elite are over, atleast everyone of us now have access to education even though not totally free. University/ college of education/polytechnics e.t.c have become more affordable with pressure on every one of us to attend in order to find a good job(Nigeria perception though). The results are record numbers of the 3 applicants nationwide result in more graduates at the end of the day with limited number of jobs available in the market. The best advice here is to be "good" in your field, be a master of what you study and not a slave to what you study. Try to be versatile and inquisitive.

3. No skills

Most companies worldwide nowadays are after your skills and not your certificate(that inbuilt skills in you or the one you develop at a later stage I.e technical skill, communication skills, ICT etc you have to be good at something in order to contribute something of value to a company. People with computer skills(or at least computer proficient) will always be in high demand. Learning these types of technological skills will always be in your best interest because company leverage technology in their officers in order to be more efficient, and if you can integrate well with that, you've got something good going for you

4. Lack of networking

Most people are busy thinking the right job will come and meet them at home without no application, if you still in that school of thought "abeg face reality" God does miracle though but his miracle only work out if you make a move. Many people get jobs through referrals, social networks like nairaland, jobberman etc also try to network yourself with friends, you don't know "who is who", nevr under-estimate anyone, build a fine reputation with friends in NYSC camps, school, anywhere because you don't know who might refer you to a job using his/her own reputation because he/she believes in you.

5. No preparation on the resume and cover letter

Our resume and cover letter act as our first impression. Today's CEO/ managers/interviewers cannot be charm with your presence or smile. Your writing does it all for you. So spend some time to make it look and sound good. When describing yourself or your work history, use action words. It makes a difference. I got most of my action words from google, to do same "type, resume action words on google" and you will find the one that is suitable for you. Make sure you proof read your cover letter/resume or someone else do it for you. Be detailed and descriptive.

6. No interview skills

Tons of my friends can tell you on how I have been preparing for interview even while I was in NYSC camp(Ede, osun state). I have downloaded thousands of interview questions that I practice daily but unfortunately I lost all through theft which I could have uploaded here to help. A lot of us don't realize that getting a job is stage by stage, if you pass through the resume/CV stage, the next stage is the interview. They will ask hard hitting questions, sometimes to frustrate you while observing your reactions. Questions like "why should we hire you? What do you bring to the table? Tell me about yourself? (A lot of us miss this because we begin to talk about our family background) what's your weakness? These are the most common question you will definitely meet, how will you pass them if you aren't prepare for them(these are tons of resource online you can access like I did to help you prepare). You must be prepared, when they ask you; do you have any question? Make sure you do! Always ask question. This shows you have interest in the jon. Ask what kind of skills/qualities are needed to succeed in the job etc

7. Your own weapon

That thing that distinguish you from others is your weapon. You've got to have an edge. Sometimes that will make you stand out from the rest. Sit down, take some time and think of what your best qualities are, write them down.

8. No follow up

Because you have sent CV/resume and you didn't hear anything does not mean you should give up! Follow up. It can't hurt. It can only help. Send a mail to them or make a phone call, ask them what is going on but don't be rude. Chances are, they may have not received it or forgotten about it. It also shows your tenacity and separate you from the rest of the people who don't follow up. Take action and make things happen

9. Quitting too easily

Not getting a call back can be frustrating at times. Don't look at the negative thing. Look at is as a positive thing. It just a sign you have to change things because its not working

10. Lack of peoples skills

Seriously this is a very important skills a lot of us don't know about, I got to know about this skills through series of online survey and response from the little employers I know. You need that social skills. Employers look out for such skills. Will you integrate well with the staff? Will you have issues with co-workers? Are you a positive person? Are you easy to get along with. Try to be nice to everyone you see in the office because they will talk about you after you leave.

I use this medium to say a shout out to all batch A, 2014 nation wide for our POP coming up next week thursday and to all my guys in ilesa east, osun state, I say congratulation. Happy birthday F.B.I and Pincode.

4 Likes

Re: Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Can't Get A Job by hajjisemiu: 7:55pm On Feb 13, 2015
Thanks and God bless.

1 Like

Re: Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Can't Get A Job by Ask4bigneyo(m): 10:04pm On Feb 13, 2015
Noted.....Hope my Son Chukwudi is readong?
Re: Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Can't Get A Job by ednut1(m): 10:42pm On Feb 13, 2015
awolowo op are u 50 years old or wat?
Re: Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Can't Get A Job by kinibigdeal(m): 10:53pm On Feb 13, 2015
ednut1:
awolowo op are u 50 years old or wat?

Hahahahah...like we heard
Re: Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Can't Get A Job by ednut1(m): 6:43am On Feb 14, 2015
kinibigdeal:

Hahahahah...like we heard
wat u stated is nt d koko. if every one has or does wat u stated. der will still be in unemployment. d major reason is lack of enabling environment for industrialisation. go to ikeja nd ogba most of d companies hv closed down nd bcom churches grin. in d 1970s nd 1980s graduates had offers waiting for dem as dey finished skul. i do nt in anyway believe dey were beta dan our generation because we are more exposed in dis generation yet dey had jobs.. if 1m pple are fighting for 100k jobs. weda or not d 900k fast nd pray, develops der self or all hv first class. bros dy will still be joblesa

4 Likes

Re: Major Reasons Why Nigerian Graduates Can't Get A Job by fvfcvdfgf(m): 1:13pm On Jan 28, 2017
Nice write up! Buh does'nt work for all persons

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria University Recruitment Process Is A Disgrace / Graduates Needed / Ongoing Recruitment Of Drivers In Port Harcourt, Rivers State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.