Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,757 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:46 AM

what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? (47905 Views)

The Son My Late Dad Had Out Of Wedlock Locked My Mum Out Of Our House, Pls Advis / Thread For Born Out Of Wedlock Nlers / Can You Marry A Lady That Gave Birth Out Of Wedlock? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by kikelomojessy(f): 9:56pm On Feb 15, 2015
My L̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊v, U̶̲̥̅̊ ar quite unlucky dat U̶̲̥̅̊ ar not wif ur B̶̲̥̅̊âb̶̲̥̅̊y daddy, and be grateful dat U̶̲̥̅̊ left cos U̶̲̥̅̊ dnt know wat he might do to you later out of anger but believe God has a plan for U̶̲̥̅̊ and ur child and pls try not to do same mistake.and dnt boda if dres a law or not, just try and get somtin doin, (soap making etc) with the help of God ur child will not suffer. God loves little children and may U̶̲̥̅̊ find favour in his sight. (saying all dis in Aunty Landa's voice, sharing life issue on 92.3)
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by ammyluv2002(f): 9:56pm On Feb 15, 2015
neyur:

Is not too late
It's late for me to study law as a degree now....I don't have five/six years to spend studying
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by ammyluv2002(f): 9:58pm On Feb 15, 2015
victorazy:

Judging from one ear.
Do u know her attitude?
How can a man just woke up and chase u out of the house!
That's what u see when ur parents doesn't support ur marriage!
No matter her attitude...he should treat her with respect abi u think say to born dey easy?
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by ACM10: 10:01pm On Feb 15, 2015
Rocktrust:
I am a lawyer but I am always careful about giving legal advice on such emotional family issues without hearing a little from the other side.

I would advice you seek out his parents, pastors, respected friends or a counsellor to intervene to restore both of you and regularize the marriage.

For the sake of your innocent little child, I will not incite you to anything trashy cos it will not help matters in any way.

The man has committed no offence under Nigerian law. You are both not legally married and you have not accused him of rape which led to the pregnancy. You both had voluntary sex among consenting adults so I assume you were very much aware of the consequences of unprotected sex with someone who is not your legally married husband.

I am very willing to offer you free legal service in your case but limited to compelling your baby daddy to arbritration discussions to agree on child custody, alimony for maintenance of the child or regularizing the marriage.

If you are interested, contact me on 08058775690, 0802430820 or mail to: rocktrustsolicitors@yahoo.com

It's lawyers like you that are the problem with Nigeria. Always willing to turn the law upside down. In this first place, this is a civil case. So I don't know why you should introduce the term "offence". Secondly, you exonerated the father of all his obligations as the father. Thirdly, mentioning unprotected sex is uncalled for.

Do you even know about child support services? I can never hire a lawyer like you.

3 Likes

Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by Kingsasian(m): 10:03pm On Feb 15, 2015
But this Op fine sha. The man must be very blind to have thrown away a gem like u. My own suggestion is that u should try as much as possible to move on with your life. Go in search of a job if not a better job and start all over again because I can see that you are educated and intelligent. It may not be easy at first but with time u will be much more better and comfortable with u and ur kid. This will make him come crawling and begging to have u back.
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by Cyberknight: 10:05pm On Feb 15, 2015
The Rocktrust chap is right. Nigerian law is iffy on the subject. Cultural practice informs most of our family law and so what most likely will happen is what obtains in your culture in cases like this. You do have the right to sue him for maintenance, but unfortunately our courts don't take those common - law inspired portions of family law very seriously (it's still a man's world in Nigeria, I'm afraid), and the chap can easily avoid paying you anything. I've seen a case before where a man did answer his summons and claimed he was unemployed and could barely feed himself and that was the end of the case (he was not). Unfortunately, the best advice is that which a lot of persons have given you - do your best to forget him and move on.

Best of luck to you.

2 Likes

Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by abdoolorunwa(m): 10:05pm On Feb 15, 2015
d truth is dere two ways of getting a child. in-wedlock n outside-wedlock.in ur case,wch is d Latter,comes wit to many consequencies,one is 'u r on ur own'.d earlier u realise dis n strive to give d innocent child a good upbringing.n help him not to regret d fact dat he was 'smuggled' into u.4get d fada,if he brings his contributions,fine,if not,fine.i jst nd u to understand dat God who has given us mouth,wld not starve it.u only nd to realise dis and glorify him n seek forgiveness 4 ur shameful act.dat way,u'll be amazed hw God Works.Be Good n i might marry u.u never knw wat tmao holds.
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by profayita: 10:09pm On Feb 15, 2015
ammyluv2002:
Talking to myself " why didn't I study law? " cry cry cry

OP, I feel for you.......I pray you get a good lawyer who will help out without collecting any charges. Some men are just wicked and very annoying.

Section 42 has removed Any labelling of such as it regards it as discrimination. Section 42 CFRN 1999 provides that no citizen of Nigeria shall be discriminated based on CIRCUMSTANCES OF BIRTH.
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by ammyluv2002(f): 10:10pm On Feb 15, 2015
profayita:

Section 42 has removed Any labelling of such as it regards it as discrimination. Section 42 CFRN 1999 provides that no citizen of Nigeria shall be discriminated based on CIRCUMSTANCES OF BIRTH.
LOL. ...I no understand all these section u dey call o
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by daniwealth(m): 10:12pm On Feb 15, 2015
Someone please help me answer

Just like the story the Op narrated, I have a friend ( a girl) the dad left them in the hospital when
Her 2nd sister was born. He was never married to the mum.
Now my friend is like 20yrs and her kid sis is 19.
If you are a guy, can you marry such girl? Knowing that she was brought up by a single mum which she might want to someday divorce because of her up bringing... And since she doesn't know her dad, who collects bride prize?
my dear,is not all that are raise by single parents that will divorce someday.Since the dad left,the parents or relatives of the mum should collect the bride price.
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by Olufemiolaolu(m): 10:15pm On Feb 15, 2015
Someone please help me answer

Just like the story the Op narrated, I have a friend ( a girl) the dad left them in the hospital when
Her 2nd sister was born. He was never married to the mum.
Now my friend is like 20yrs and her kid sis is 19.
If you are a guy, can you marry such girl? Knowing that she was brought up by a single mum which she might want to someday divorce because of her up bringing... And since she doesn't know her dad, who collects bride prize?
Yes, no big deal. one's background shdnt ground one's destiny now. sb ll represent d father now.
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by daniwealth(m): 10:17pm On Feb 15, 2015
I am not good in Nigeria law but i dont think any law encourage or defend any child born outside wedlock.Since he didnt rape you or sexually abuse you,the act that resulted to the pregnancy was done under good arrangement and No lawyer will back you up,unless he just want to eat your money.My advice is for you to look for something doing and raise up your child,forget about draging the man to court.
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by xprtngnr(m): 10:22pm On Feb 15, 2015
dominion247:
Does anybody know what the Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? I am left to raise a child alone without any income. I lost my job when I was pregnant with the baby. I moved in with my baby daddy when I was 3 months pregnant due to pressure from my immediate family, we lived together till I gave birth. After the baby was born, he chased me out of the house of which I borrowed him money to rent. I ve moved back into my family house with the baby. He has not paid me back the money I borrowed him and he is not assisting me in anyway to raise the child. I want to take this up with the law but I cannot afford the fee I may be charged and I am also worried I might not win the case because we are not married. Please I need your candid opinions

with all manner of respect to OP and as much as i understand your pain,am really happy you came up with a topic like this but let all start by saying all to the SINGLE ladies that intends to TRAP guys with pregnancy and start asking for self pity,am not actually saying you "OP" really did same but just to enlighten they singles out there.it really so sad when we hear stories like these and all curses and aggravation and fault goes to the man which i think its been made traditionally faulted from the unset no matter what the story looks like am not trying to say males don't do SHIT and after start denying and matter of fact its mostly we males FAULT but the ideology of directly blaming guys should be addressed and tell them ladies stop trying to TRAP guys with pregnancy cos of some kind of society pressure for marriage or spouse and start crying for some law or whatsoever after the start facing the real challenges.......don't ask why una sex una sef sin na sin we both fornicating but just because of little trust some ladies will beg for direct sex and once you fall prey na to blackmail you with pregnancy.

3 Likes

Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by xpino2k(m): 10:26pm On Feb 15, 2015
dominion247:
lol re u kidding me? I can send u his picture

Seriously... our civilization concerning human right is crooked wen it comes to motherhood and child rearing. If the likes of 50cent and Future could be tamed as per preg responsibilities, What's stopping naija lawmakers Who travel far and wide from doing so?

in US dudes are Seriously scared of preging a babe and bailing away cos of the consequences. it took two to make the Baby...hence two must care for it. the soul job of the woman is emotional care. the onus rests on the dude to financially and materially care for the mother and child.

Am a dude by the way, But What's What doing is worth doing well. never poke a babe u Don't wish to have a Baby with...and if a Baby comes up...man up.

df!

email me @ xpinoblog@yahoo.com for some candid advice. there is a way out for u legally. df!
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by Nobody: 10:31pm On Feb 15, 2015
The Judiciary is sinking badly. No better laws, the laws are only centered around public office holders. The masses are left with their faith.

Imagine, they had to include plea bargain to get out of fraudulent embezzlement. Shame on our judiciary
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by Young03(m): 10:31pm On Feb 15, 2015
Takin from tradition;
is any of u igbo? And if yes, wch prt of igboland, so i can tel u how it wil go
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by queensmith: 10:33pm On Feb 15, 2015
Shollypopzz:

*Screaming*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Queensmith?? Like the queensmith??!!!!!!!

Girrrl!!! You have been missed! Hope you're back for real! What an awesome surprise cheesy cheesy cheesy

kiss kiss the queensmith you know! lol
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by AiyekotoIII: 10:37pm On Feb 15, 2015
Firstly, I sympathize with you for being left in a lurch by the irresponsible man. Please take solace in the fact the law is on your side and there to help you.
Please visit the Lagos State Public Defenders office and your case will be taken without costing you a kobo.
Most likely you and the man will be refered to the mediation centre.
I ame certain he will be made to live up to his responsibilities.
Good luck!

3 Likes

Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by simplemach(m): 10:44pm On Feb 15, 2015
ammyluv2002:
Yes, I must attribute it to some men
well, happy attributing
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by BeeBeeOoh(m): 10:45pm On Feb 15, 2015
enomakos:
oversabi wetin concern you?no let that thunder strike you instead
I came here 2 have fun, so if u have any problem wit dat go chop bomb..
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by 9jatatafo(m): 10:50pm On Feb 15, 2015
OP I feel your pain. My candid advise is for you to forget about the father of your son and face up the challenge of raising the child all alone. Time will come that the father will come begging then you will know what to do.
Some men are just worthless, I always advise guzys that you should be able to marry any girl you can take to bed.
Don't bother taking him to court. Just leave him.
Someone that you borrowed money to, to rent an apartment, how are you sure he has the means to cater for the baby? Move my dear, God is your strength.
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by Daliano(m): 10:54pm On Feb 15, 2015
shadowgwalker:
locate the woman -child organisation(s).
they take cases like this serious, it's an abuse to the rights of a woman/child.

...but, why didn't you take Postinor2?
Cant stop laughing...so na d pill u de take spoil gals womb abi?na ur type if dem de pas near gutter dem go de hear ''daddy daddy'' frm unknown voices.
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by Nobody: 10:55pm On Feb 15, 2015
Funjosh:

What is Postinor
some people said it's for malaria. I think it's for clearing your head after 3 minutes of ' urgh urgh yes! yes! yes! that's it yes oh my guard! yes awwww!!!!!!!!baby you try!!!cheesy'
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by Nobody: 10:55pm On Feb 15, 2015
dominion247:
Does anybody know what the Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? I am left to raise a child alone without any income. I lost my job when I was pregnant with the baby. I moved in with my baby daddy when I was 3 months pregnant due to pressure from my immediate family, we lived together till I gave birth. After the baby was born, he chased me out of the house of which I borrowed him money to rent. I ve moved back into my family house with the baby. He has not paid me back the money I borrowed him and he is not assisting me in anyway to raise the child. I want to take this up with the law but I cannot afford the fee I may be charged and I am also worried I might not win the case because we are not married. Please I need your candid opinions
Well, legally, the gy is not bound to you but he has responsibilities towards the child. As someone said, S.42(2) Of the 1999 constitution provides that nobody should be discriminated upon due to the circumstances of his or her birth. Also, there is locus classicus in which it was decided that illegitimate children have a right to inherit from their fathers. You have a very arguable case in court.
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by ice234: 10:56pm On Feb 15, 2015
ammyluv2002:
Talking to myself " why didn't I study law? " cry cry cry

OP, I feel for you.......I pray you get a good lawyer who will help out without collecting any charges. Some men are just wicked and very annoying.

And some women are just *****. Please do not judge without hearing from the other party.
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by Nobody: 10:56pm On Feb 15, 2015
Daliano:
Cant stop laughing...so na d pill u de take spoil gals womb abi?na ur type if dem de pas near gutter dem go de hear ''daddy daddy'' frm unknown voices.
lol!guy leave me ooh! I not which you talk about. what is Postinor please?
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by missdre(f): 11:01pm On Feb 15, 2015
May sango d god of thunder strike him hard nd his middle leg and any guy dat has such in mind,ogun shall scatter ur balls for u...op just kip praying nd see how the wrath of God will descend on him nd he'll surely come bck and ask for forgiveness...

1 Like

Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by Motherforker12: 11:22pm On Feb 15, 2015
dominion247:

They are known as a snow, sand or blackfyre

1 Like

Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by Tahovic: 11:47pm On Feb 15, 2015
inna eee I luv this torry ooo
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by Faibuhari: 11:54pm On Feb 15, 2015
dominion247:
can you kindly remove your picture on your profile for your own privacy, I think you need a job and you need to move on.
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by docayo: 11:57pm On Feb 15, 2015
pls locate the nearest social welfare office and report the case. They would summon him and commit him into dropping something monthly for the upkeep of the child. If he refuses, they will take him to court themselves.
Re: what does Nigerian law say about children born out of wedlock? by Cruzeiro(m): 11:58pm On Feb 15, 2015
frstly, i sympathize wit u. Howeva, it z salient dt u knw dt u av an 'arguable' case here nd thus, shud nt sleep on ur ryt. Though family law z nt my area of specialization, i do knw dt the constitution frowns at discrimination on several grounds. Also, a child born outsyd wedlock hs every legitimacy jst like a child born odawise, bt 'only' if ur baby daddy accepts hm/her as hs own. Apparently, u wl av to prove dt he is de fada of ur child. As regards de money u borrowd him, only unequivocal evidence cn avail u. I believe deris more to ds story, ergo, I wuldnt wana make hasty judgements. Forgive my colloquiality, I av too mch to type. Best of luck.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Zimbabwean Man Forces Wife To Sleep With Stranger For $3000 / Imo Chief Plaiting Wife’s Hair (Photos) / 8 Things Guys Above 30yrs Do That Show They Are Still Mummy's Boy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.