Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,596 members, 7,812,954 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:33 PM

The Sick Customer (a complete short story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Sick Customer (a complete short story) (1878 Views)

Diary Of A Love Sick Writer By Angelsss / Pleasure And Pain - A Short Story / Complete Short Story: Jazz Music By Wittydude (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Sick Customer (a complete short story) by slap1(m): 3:53pm On Feb 13, 2015
No part of this story may be reproduced anywhere without written permission from the author.
Re: The Sick Customer (a complete short story) by slap1(m): 3:56pm On Feb 13, 2015
This story is not wholly fictional. Some of the events actually happened, days ago...

Tags:
divepen
Theorbiter
Kizzykeziah
Cybershow
Chinweblinkz
kusibe77
Thronekid
Stuff46
Losprince
Tattesco
Princesssusan
Susrite
Akposb
Evangelio
Toluene1

You're still appreciated, even if untagged.

1 Like

Re: The Sick Customer (a complete short story) by slap1(m): 3:57pm On Feb 13, 2015
How he trudged into our shop that beautiful Tuesday morning, truncating my morning gossip and rudely awakening me to the day's work. I was at Nneoma's shop -- gossiping about who's writing UTME for the umpteenth time, how Chidi asked me for a sex-chat on 2go and why Adanna shouldn't be dating the dirty boy down the street -- when he walked heavily to our shop.

I saw him approach the shop but continued with my gist. We rarely have customers that early, before 9: am, so I concluded he may be looking for directions, which my Aunty in the shop would gladly help with. That wasn't the case.

"Nkechi! Nkechinyere!" my aunty voice.
"Nne let's talk later," I said hastily and rushed over to the shop. My aunty was coming out of the shop. "See what he needs, " she pointed at the man sitting outside and went to the backyard.

He was a young, handsome man. He looked to be battling with something, maybe a strange sickness. He had a distant look on his face, like he wasn't really there with me.

"Do you have rice?" The words tumbled out from his mouth.

"No. Only soup. Ogbono and egusi, " I added with a little note of distaste, hoping he would like neither and choose to leave.
"Egusi," he said. By this time I noticed his hands were shaking a bit.

"Garri or akpu?"

"Garri." He trembled some more now. "May I stay inside?"

I nodded a yes and went about bringing his food as he trembled into the shop. My initial desire to go back to Nneoma's shop was completely replaced by a sudden need to help this sick, handsome man.
Re: The Sick Customer (a complete short story) by zyzxx(m): 4:04pm On Feb 13, 2015
First follower
Re: The Sick Customer (a complete short story) by slap1(m): 4:06pm On Feb 13, 2015
zyzxx:
First follower
Thanks, buddy. Off to work on the story...
Re: The Sick Customer (a complete short story) by stuff46(m): 5:28pm On Feb 13, 2015
zyzxx:
First follower

Second follower
Re: The Sick Customer (a complete short story) by slap1(m): 10:05pm On Feb 13, 2015
stuff46:

Second follower
Thanks
Re: The Sick Customer (a complete short story) by slap1(m): 10:08pm On Feb 13, 2015
I brought his food and retreated to the back of the counter, where I observed his visibly shaky hands. He couldn't mold the garri and his face seem contorted with pain. I became worried. What could a young man like him possibly be going through?

I instinctively came out from hiding in case he needed help.
"Is there a pharmacy around here?"
"What?"
"Chemist. Is there a chemist shop around?" he asked?
"Yes." I answered, more concerned than worried.
"Please could you rush and get me a pack of oral drip? It should be N50. Buy with your money; I'll balance you."

I nodded and ran off. He was clearly in need of strength. As I ran to the chemist's, I prayed he won't die in our shop, or anywhere. Not at this age.

"Could you please pour it into a glass of water for me?"
"Sure." I nodded and fetched a glass cup. I mixed the powdery stuff in water and set it before him. He poured the whole thing down at once. I hung about, in case he needed anything else. All the while, I prayed in my mind for his survival.

I left to observe him from the counter, behind the plates. He tried to push a small, unmoulded morsel into his mouth. He swallowed hard, a bit too hard for the little morsel I saw him put into his mouth. I prayed a bit harder.

He suddenly bent over, holding his stomach. I became scared and went over to Nneoma's shop to tell her about the strange customer.

Ten minutes later he walked out of the shop. He saw me and pointed inside the shop, obviously indicating he's left my money there. He waved down an okada climbed it painfully. My eyes followed him on the motorcycle until it disappeared from view.

Nneoma tapped my hand, a mischievous grin on her face. "Nkechi...are you in love?"
"What? Are you crazy?"

She laughed mischievously. I was angry and left for my shop. The customer barely touched his food. He kept the money for the oral drip too. I cleared the table. Behind the counter, I ate the two pieces of meat he hadn't touched.

I thought of him throughout the day, wondering what has become of him.

Two nights later, I dreamt of him. He was smiling at me from afar. He looked more handsome and healthier. I smiled back shyly. He asked me to come. I refused. When he insisted, I agreed and was moving close to him when my Aunty woke me up.
Re: The Sick Customer (a complete short story) by slap1(m): 10:09pm On Feb 13, 2015
THE END

1 Like

Re: The Sick Customer (a complete short story) by Evangelio(m): 10:52pm On Feb 13, 2015
Third reader. Too short, but then it's a short story....
Re: The Sick Customer (a complete short story) by zyzxx(m): 10:14am On Feb 14, 2015
slap1:
Thanks, buddy. Off to work on the story...
my pleasure sir,
More wisdom

Toykathy Apy val, come and sit beside me here oo
Re: The Sick Customer (a complete short story) by zyzxx(m): 10:15am On Feb 14, 2015
stuff46:

Second follower
d story is over
Re: The Sick Customer (a complete short story) by zyzxx(m): 10:20am On Feb 14, 2015
slap1:
THE END
awww o no
Re: The Sick Customer (a complete short story) by kizzykeziah: 12:56pm On Feb 14, 2015
slap1:
THE END

Aww.... The end is so soon. Really short sad but cool smiley

1 Like

Re: The Sick Customer (a complete short story) by slap1(m): 1:24pm On Feb 14, 2015
Yeah. I'm sorry it ended soon. It's a SHORT story, a kind of tribute to a girl who, I'm sure, saved my life earlier this week.
kizzykeziah:

Aww.... The end is so soon. Really short sad but cool smiley
zyzxx:
awww o no
Hopefully, I'll start something that'll be a little longer.
Re: The Sick Customer (a complete short story) by Evangelio(m): 1:44pm On Feb 14, 2015
[quote author=slap1 post=30723727]Yeah. I'm sorry it ended soon. It's a SHORT story, a kind of tribute to a girl who, I'm sure, saved my life earlier this week.

Was ur sickness that serious? Good to have u back though.
Re: The Sick Customer (a complete short story) by Kusibe77(m): 2:12pm On Feb 14, 2015
The fourth follower adjusted his 3D glasses.
Nke! Thanks
Re: The Sick Customer (a complete short story) by zyzxx(m): 2:37pm On Feb 14, 2015
slap1:
Yeah. I'm sorry it ended soon. It's a SHORT story, a kind of tribute to a girl who, I'm sure, saved my life earlier this week. Hopefully, I'll start something that'll be a little longer.
ok it touching

We will be expecting
Re: The Sick Customer (a complete short story) by Cybershow(m): 4:56pm On Feb 14, 2015
slap1:
This story is not wholly fictional. Some of d events actually happened, days ago...
Tags:
divepen
Theorbiter
Kizzykeziah
Cybershow
Chinweblinkz
kusibe77
Thronekid
Stuff46
i dn show cux dat my name
Re: The Sick Customer (a complete short story) by spacefreak: 5:22pm On Feb 14, 2015
Good job. The ending was too sudden but its a short story so its kinda okay.
Re: The Sick Customer (a complete short story) by toykathy(f): 11:25pm On Feb 14, 2015
zyzxx:
my pleasure sir,
More wisdom

Toykathy Apy val, come and sit beside me here oo

its bn a while bro, hw hav u bn?
Re: The Sick Customer (a complete short story) by Cybershow(m): 2:01pm On Feb 15, 2015
Short bt realy impresive
Re: The Sick Customer (a complete short story) by zyzxx(m): 2:08pm On Feb 15, 2015
toykathy:

its bn a while bro, hw hav u bn?
am fine oo
How is family ma'am?
Apy sunday
Re: The Sick Customer (a complete short story) by touchmeder: 8:25am On Feb 16, 2015
Dudeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I was just getting warmed up. Awwwwwww mehn! Lol, I liked it though; just wish the story wld hv gone on a little bit more.
Re: The Sick Customer (a complete short story) by slap1(m): 10:02pm On Feb 19, 2015
touchmeder:
Dudeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I was just getting warmed up. Awwwwwww mehn! Lol, I liked it though; just wish the story wld hv gone on a little bit more.
I wish it was a bit longer too. I'm glad you like it.

(1) (Reply)

Mike Okonkwo National Essay Competition In 2012 - Has Commenced / Tears Of Love / What Do You Think Bawt The Increased Spate Of Storywriting By Nairalanders?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.