Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,019 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:50 AM

Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? (20619 Views)

10 Professions In Nigeria You Can Still Practice Without Studying them / Fidelity Bank, Best Bank To Work For In Nigeria – Survey (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by oasis: 6:31pm On Apr 02, 2006
I have two friends who have returned home and currently earn 13M and 7M naira respectively. That is prettyy much more than a lot of people earn abroad.

Of course we all have a sprinkle of success stories. But do you know examples of any failures? I know plenty.
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by funloving(m): 8:17pm On Apr 02, 2006
The issue is not really how much you earn in Nigeria but what you do with the money.
N13M per annum and :
you have to sink your own bore hole and build your water purifying plant.
Build you power generating plant
Establish your internet/telephone network
Construct your own road
Establish your own liesure park
Have your own courts where there is real justice which is obeyed by all
Import your own quality food,clothes and shoes
Have your own hospital
Have your police force
Build your own high standard university for your kids
Have your own shopping mall with the quality good you need

And a couple of other things that make life meaningful.

The issue to me is not about earning good money but having the right avenue to spend that money so that this one life time I have will be well lived and not just managed.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by oasis: 8:39pm On Apr 02, 2006
@funloving

Wow! Very few people see facts for what it really is. You clearly do. Good job.
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by jibitoye(m): 11:46pm On Apr 02, 2006
I wonder for a generation that only sees life from "what gets in " and not " what gets out",  and the more worrisome when you are a part of that generation.

Must we measure things by the amount of millions earned,  or what not?

The problems in Nigeria has absolutely nothing to do with how many millions someone is earning. The society at large is at the brink of a , ? (lest i be called negative/ pessimistic).
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by Badman888(m): 11:49pm On Apr 02, 2006
The matter of fact Nigeria is over populated they alot of people have to be outside the countries, if people schooling abroad goes back and take the jobs available or open buisnesses what about the people that are there.
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by bluenubian(f): 2:49am On Apr 03, 2006
go back home to work for who?, i dont think so
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by mum(f): 4:06am On Apr 03, 2006
I just wanna go home, even though there is corruption, and no securities, what about if we all go and make this changes. Am studying nursing, got a year to go, will definitely work for another 5yrs to gather my capital together, then go back home to create employment opportunities for fresh graduates. With the help of an organization here (God's grace), am setting up a an orphanage for kids who are HIV+, and these kids are not only from Nigeria, they are from all over the the under/developing countries where they have been resigned to faith?left to die as if it was their fault.
These is to all you guys out there wishing to go back home and make a difference, I'll let you know as soon as the organization kicks off for help and advice. Planing to start with just about 10 kids, 4 Nigerians, 3 from Lesotho and 3 from Zimbabwe, but i have been adviced to start with all Nigerians after i discussed my fear of staying focused and society's reaction to these children, I can't bear causing them more pains if people will start pointing fingers, coz i really plan on treating them big time, taking them places and giving them a chance of being a normal children for once. just pray for me to stay focused, starting with 10, who knows, we could be housing 300 in the next couple of years. That will create Job for at least 12 fresh graduates (God's grace of course!) if i could do this, anyone can. Stay Blessed Guys plus give it a thot.
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by Hotstepper(f): 4:19am On Apr 03, 2006
nice one@mum, datz ur kind of people thatw e need. If u need help, let me know, keep it up
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by Idekeson(m): 6:53pm On Apr 03, 2006
Most Nigerians are not living in diaspora to admire skyscrappers and street lights. There are compelling reasons and we'll know what they are. Once those factors change, you will see a reverse trend. It's simple economics. Life for every man is the pursuit of happiness.
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by my2cents(m): 9:01pm On Apr 03, 2006
kimba,

I will assume you didn't spot the sarcasm of my "N10million per year" line there grin

Probably no one will pay me that kind of money, which is why I will never work for anyone in the first place. I would rather do my own thing over there. Having said that, of course the limiting factor for now, is the almighty capital. If I had what I was looking for, na for inside plan I for dey reply dis thread cool
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by kimba(m): 7:26am On Apr 06, 2006
@my2cents
You know really in Nigeria, you can really find a job to pay you that amount: and the job description will make you do the wrong things.

like the Youth Corper that worked for El Rufai who was about to be investigated by the EFCC(sometime last year). They said she collects 1-million naira per month. Image? Youth Corper? she fled to the U.S

Now if she collected 1-mil/month as a Youth Corper, lets ask the question: what was her job description? what will be her salary level if she had completed 1-yr of NYSC
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by my2cents(m): 4:44pm On Apr 06, 2006
kimba,

As for the job that youth corper was doing, I will lv that to your imagination grin

As for my pay, sure, I know I could get that kind of money, if I really looked, but I am really picky about what I will do. There are 2 options for me: self-employment or management position at a company. I would personally go with the former, as man no wan wahala when it comes to pay day, if you know what I mean wink

, and that's my 2 cents
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by bolex(m): 4:40pm On Apr 12, 2006
if I find something good @ home , why not if not

Sure bet I would go back home & work

But if na some nonsense pay

Pleaasssseeeeeeeeeee

My first aim if 6 digits in foreign currency ,, then 7 digits later

not in naija currency

But I would love to bring up ma children the naija style
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by my2cents(m): 4:57pm On Apr 12, 2006
bolex,

depending on how important you consider raising your children the naija style, in my opinion, how much you get paid shouldn't be an issue. If the opportunity comes, take it.

Again, I only speak if the way your children are raised is high on the richter scale wink
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by bolex(m): 5:02pm On Apr 12, 2006
Ma guy

I love the naija style o

I no go lie you

me specifically would recimmend it for all growing kids

It helps a lot

cheesy grin smiley

But if I get better paid abroad

Then

Sorry
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by yemstar(f): 5:01am On Apr 16, 2006
You know i recently asked myself that question, I have always fancied coming home and being one of the youths that would make nigeria a better place but i know its easier said than done sad.

For now, i honestly dont know undecided I wouldn't want to leave a place that i know might offer me great opportunities to a place am not sure might have as much to offer. embarassed
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by larger20(m): 6:17pm On Apr 16, 2006
There is hope
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by clintonty(m): 12:23pm On May 05, 2006
cool To start with, i want to table my sincere greetings to all and sundry in the city of nairaland especially, the previous contributors on this interesting topic.
My view on the topic is simple. If there is Job opportunity adroad, i will prefer staying back and establishing myself financially will be topmost in my scale of preference. Job security itself is not secured. the probability of getting befitting work I mean rewarding ones is scarce. Nepotism is the order of the day.
Not disregarding the fact that NO PLACE IS LIKE HOME, I will rather be financially bouyant and come home to be a source of living for thousands of unemployed youths through provision of Job opportunities.
I wish you all well.
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by larger20(m): 1:26pm On May 06, 2006
There is hope in nigeria,
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by omon(m): 2:10pm On May 06, 2006
How many of those guys abroad are really financially stable? Many wallow in debts upon debts,
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by dearie(m): 9:40am On May 30, 2006
Good responses from u all, but dont forget the place of God. Seek his guidance!
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by dearie(m): 9:40am On May 30, 2006
Good responses from u all, but dont forget the place of God. Seek his guidance!
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by shawna(f): 10:32pm On Jun 13, 2006
if the situation there is good i would definitely go back home to work
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by sekratu411(f): 5:56am On Jun 25, 2006
home sweet home
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by Nobody: 5:58am On Jun 25, 2006
no
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by bibibabe(f): 12:05am On Jun 27, 2006
Well maybe the lady is right about only poor people not wanting to return to Nigeria and maybe not 'cos we all want different things in life.Been living in the UK for sometime now, stayed back after i completed my mba program. Just want to say that going back to Nigeria has its advantages and disadvantages, so also does staying put in abroad. In making such decisions, u have to get ur prioties right and stop blabbing about certain things like security in Nigeria, what makes? Pls GOD is the only that provides that. Also look at luck and chances, see u cld get lucky in Nigeria, u know right people,right places at the right time and then boom u r it. However if u r contented with the basic neccessities of life, then living abroad is the right choice, u know u have got job security, the basic needs of life including electricity but you know u might not become what u want to be even if you r good at what u do. U either r risk averse and keep being a second class citizen abroad or be a risk taker and see if u might be lucky enough to be a star in ur home country.Different strokes for different folks!
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by lcharm(f): 12:05am On Jun 27, 2006
@funloving
you have spoken the exact truth

Its not bad going back but its the ease of settling down and being comfortable that is questionable. You have to be really rich to live the kind of lives u live here with bare necessities made readily available. Think about not having light all the time which y'all used to, cept if u have a 24 hr generator. Think about water accessibility, police stopping u on the street all the time cos u drive a big car, buying land and building ur own house (no mortgage and loans readily available !!!)ets etc etc,

The price to pay working there is more than u would pay working here. what u have to work out is how much it will cost u to live and work in nigeria. (there r ofcourse advantages but the disadvantages, i think, far outweigh the advantages)

In asmuch as most of us will like to return home to work (myself excluded!!!), many will not be able to stand the harsh conditions as compared to what u r used to living outside.
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by dollypee1(f): 2:58pm On Jul 09, 2006
OF COURSE ILL GO HOME,AFTER MY SECOND DEGREE BUT ILL BE ON MY OWN NOT UNDER ANYONE,CANT IMAGINE GOING BACK TO LAW SCHL IN NIGERIA TO WORK FOR PEOPLE AFTER HOW MANY YEARS OF STUDY HERE? NO.
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by nnena: 4:13pm On Jul 25, 2006
i don't think i will like to go back to my country after my education here in the state.This is because the career am goind for is not valued in my country.I want to make it real big that is why i came here. i may decide to go back when i am old and can't work again and look for a good business like trade.
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by lewa(m): 6:09am On Jul 26, 2006
Having read several meaningful contributions,i surmise
1 It's good to go back home and do something meaningful,but have an exit strategy in case things go not as expected
2 For those of you used to weekend /monthly grocery shopping,mall shopping etc make sure that the salary you would
earn should give you a lifestyle at least commensurate with that you enjoyed in the west
3 Look before you leap-i have friends that went back and found out that the naija way of doing business was still at its
best fouled up,ie corruption,nepotism,cronysm(which exists here too) and they still opted to fight it out.The moral ,be
prepared.
4 I have a "shop" back home with a couple of my friends but business aint easy-kissing ass,bribery etc are things i don't
condone but what can i do? If we continue to disparage our native country how would we progress?
5 All the best to my sistas and bros on their way back home.
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by nilla(f): 6:28am On Jul 26, 2006
I will go back home for the following reasons:

There is no place like home.

I believe there is a reason why we are born where we are born.

Really if we dont go back and help develop naija, who else will?
Re: Nigerians Studying Abroad: Would You Go Back Home To Work? by Hotstepper(f): 6:03pm On Jul 26, 2006
my familyfriend just went back 3 weeks ago to start up a job offer starting with , a year

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Pharmacist VS The Medical Doctor. / Another Nairalander Doing Nigeria Proud In U. A. E / 4 Reasons You Should Start A Side Hustle As A Working Class Nigerian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.