Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,130 members, 7,821,870 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:33 PM

Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? (13350 Views)

Nigerian Men Vs Black-American Men! / Black American's Making Fun Of Africans? / Proper Greeting For Black American Meeting Boyfriend's Nigerian Mother (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by KarmaMod(f): 9:03pm On Jan 06, 2009
dodo doesnt mean plantain anymore?

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by sistawoman: 9:20pm On Jan 06, 2009
tpia:

let me guess- your husband told you. While he was also discussing the ugliness and stupidity of Nigerian girls from Nigeria and beyond. And wondering if you could tell other "Yoruba" women to shave their bodily hair.

My husband would never/could never talk badly about Nigerian women afterall the mother of his children is Nigerian. I would never/could never be with a man that would do such a thing.

move in closer to the screen, a little closer, closer, closer I really want you to see this:

[size=26pt]NOT ALL NIGERIAN MEN ARE DCIKS!!!!![/size]

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by tpia: 9:36pm On Jan 06, 2009
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by sistawoman: 9:45pm On Jan 06, 2009
What i mean there is there are other words that can be used to describe/talk about/refer to Black Americans.

What I mean there is that not all of us should be painted with the same brush.

What I mean there is the word AKATA is hurtful for those of us that know what it means.

Additionally. . . yall bitch so much about me saying husband this husband that so I just did not say just implied it
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by H2O2: 9:50pm On Jan 06, 2009
do-do? dudu?
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by LadyT(f): 9:51pm On Jan 06, 2009
I think sistawoman means DUDU *rolls eyes* but if we say dudu that does not narrow it down

You people crying that akata is painful to you yet can't even explain the meaning yet you are crying its painful!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akata

let us have peace oh
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by sistawoman: 10:06pm On Jan 06, 2009
Thanks for the correct spelling. I did say dodo (sp) for those of you that dont know (sp) = spelling, which in turn means I was not sure of the spelling of the word.

LadyT:

I think sistawoman means DUDU *rolls eyes* but if we say dudu that does not narrow it down

You people crying that akata is painful to you yet can't even explain the meaning yet you are crying its painful!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akata

let us have peace oh

From your source

over time it has come to have derogatory connotations due to tensions between African immigrants and African Americans.

Again the term is hurtful.
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by tpia: 10:21pm On Jan 06, 2009
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by Cristalz(f): 10:28pm On Jan 06, 2009
Why does it feel like the world is always against sistawoman? Or is it sistawoman against the world undecided grin
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by tpia: 10:31pm On Jan 06, 2009
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by bronxdog: 10:35pm On Jan 06, 2009
@Poster

What if? what da big deal? pussie/deek made with gold?
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by Cristalz(f): 10:44pm On Jan 06, 2009
@tpia

Mindeth me not. . . wink
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by KB1(m): 11:54pm On Jan 06, 2009
bronx_dog:

@Poster

What if? what da big deal? pussie/deek made with gold?

No, platinum my friend-- Platinum. smiley
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by LadyT(f): 1:22am On Jan 07, 2009
Is it not the same akatas that have claimed to have taken back the word "nigger" Hisssssss

Yet cry about Akata. Black people really need to start thinking about important issues not this bullshit.

angry
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by Magz(m): 1:43am On Jan 07, 2009
LadyT:

Is it not the same akatas that have claimed to have taken back the word "nigger" Hisssssss

Yet cry about Akata. Black people really need to start thinking about important issues not this bullshit.

angry

Despite popular belief, the word "nigger" does not come from a negative source. It derives from Egyptian and other African terms that describe royalty; ie king / queen and spiritual power i.e goddess / god, etc. Wish I had the time right now to go deep into this, but I just do not have the finger strength to type that much. grin

Anyways, I live in NY, and I do not use the word "nigga" or anything similar.
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by touchmeder: 1:57am On Jan 07, 2009
Because you read one post like that

Ask me how i know grin grin grin grin
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by Magz(m): 2:05am On Jan 07, 2009
A Black historian put me up on that knowledge when I was working at an African-American community center here in The Roc.
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by Treetop20(m): 5:57am On Jan 07, 2009
jamo girls here are on a different level cheesy
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by praxx(m): 5:59am On Jan 07, 2009
@ poster
yes i have, they don't come easy grin
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by sevenseas(m): 10:15am On Jan 07, 2009
praxx:

@ poster
yes i have, they don't come easy grin

Come to San Antonio:

they are a dime a dozen!!
grin
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by spikedcylinder: 11:10am On Jan 07, 2009
H202, thanks for that link. wink

sevenseas:

Come to San Antonio:

they are a dime a dozen!!
grin

Err, I think he meant c u m. cheesy

[size=4pt]Jesus fucking Christ, Seun even edited that word? Jeez men.
[/size]
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by kushi1: 11:11am On Jan 07, 2009
Question? tongue
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by angelina08(f): 2:27pm On Jan 07, 2009
I like black American for relationship only the can spend for woman but not for marriage.
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by sistawoman: 4:27pm On Jan 07, 2009
I fully understand that the origin of the words “Akata” and “Nigger” were not derogatory or condescending but the meaning of those words have change and evolved over the years, thus giving them a condescending and derogatory meaning.

That being said; why is it so hard to understand those words are hurtful?
So hurtful that when used in song and movies it is bleeped out.
So hurtful that most artists will not use the word anymore.
So hurtful and destructive that I wont allow my children to say it.

Yes African American/Black Americans have other issues that need resolving, but that is not what is being discussed here. Here on this thread we are discussing if you have ever dated an African American/Black American and the word Akata was used to describe us. I took offense to the use of the word to describe all Black Americans because I am not Akata.

This is what I know, but please correct me if I am wrong, I am here to learn:
Dudu-if that is the correct spelling-means black person
Akata- means Nigger
Dodo- As pointed out before means plantains (which I cook all the time, they are soooooo good)

I believe there is power in words and I would never say anything that I believe to be hurtful or de-powering (is that word) to someone else. I just wanted to bring to the attention of people that may not understand how hurtful the word Akata is. I find that here on NL the word is throw around without any regard as to how someone might feel.
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by Nobody: 5:01pm On Jan 07, 2009
sistawoman:

I fully understand that the origin of the words “Akata” and “Nigger” were not derogatory or condescending but the meaning of those words have change and evolved over the years, thus giving them a condescending and derogatory meaning.

That being said; why is it so hard to understand those words are hurtful?
So hurtful that when used in song and movies it is bleeped out.
So hurtful that most artists will not use the word anymore.
So hurtful and destructive that I wont allow my children to say it.

Yes African American/Black Americans have other issues that need resolving, but that is not what is being discussed here. Here on this thread we are discussing if you have ever dated an African American/Black American and the word Akata was used to describe us. I took offense to the use of the word to describe all Black Americans because I am not Akata.

This is what I know, but please correct me if I am wrong, I am here to learn:
Dudu-if that is the correct spelling-means black person
Akata- means Nigger
Dodo- As pointed out before means plantains (which I cook all the time, they are soooooo good)

I believe there is power in words and I would never say anything that I believe to be hurtful or de-powering (is that word) to someone else. I just wanted to bring to the attention of people that may not understand how hurtful the word Akata is. I find that here on NL the word is throw around without any regard as to how someone might feel.

Most African Americans don't even know the meaning of Akata so i don't really think it hurts as much.
By the way, Akata does not necessarilly mean Nigger. Slaves would be a better definition.
Unless you have a translation for African American in any Nigerian language, you are wrong.
Here's my own line of how the word came up.
Literary meaning for Akata in Yoruba is "Someone who picks peppers/tomatoes"
I believe the early African immigrants simply used the words to refer to Slaves since they "picked" crops on the farm. Being a slave is not derogatory. Its the truth. African Americans became "African Americans" due to slavery.

That being said, people will always be people regardless of tribe/ethnicity. You have bitches and Assholes in every tribe.
I have dated African American women and oh my God, the ones i've dated have been the most caring, romantic, beauuuuuuuuutifuuuuuuul, sexy, and reliable women i have ever met. I probably will end up marrying an African American.
Most people that have issues tend to date "ghetto" chics and expect them to be sane.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by congoshine(m): 10:16pm On Jan 07, 2009
Outstrip:

Dated african americans. My husband was the first nigerian I dated. My first boyfriend cheated and I was kind of glad because I was finally free. The second one was almost perfect and treated me like a queen but we had to part ways. There are good african american men just like there are good african men. You just have to look really hard to find the good african ones grin grin grin grin

Seems the twins won't be available for adoption anytime soon? grin grin
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by sistawoman: 10:27pm On Jan 07, 2009
A-town:

Most African Americans don't even know the meaning of Akata so i don't really think it hurts as much.
By the way, Akata does not necessarilly mean Nigger. Slaves would be a better definition.
Unless you have a translation for African American in any Nigerian language, you are wrong.
Here's my own line of how the word came up.
Literary meaning for Akata in Yoruba is "Someone who picks peppers/tomatoes"
I believe the early African immigrants simply used the words to refer to Slaves since they "picked" crops on the farm. Being a slave is not derogatory. Its the truth. African Americans became "African Americans" due to slavery.

That being said, people will always be people regardless of tribe/ethnicity. You have bitches and Assholes in every tribe.
I have dated African American women and oh my God, the ones i've dated have been the most caring, romantic, beauuuuuuuuutifuuuuuuul, sexy, and reliable women i have ever met. I probably will end up marrying an African American.
Most people that have issues tend to date "ghetto" chics and expect them to be sane.

Is it OK to call someone a name because they dont know what it means?

Every Nigerian I ask has told me that Akata is derogatory and not a good thing to be called.

When I ask them how would they describe me their response is dudu not Akata. So either the Nigerians in Maryland have changed the meaning or they are just stupid and have no idea what they are saying.

If it means slaves then is that not the wrong word to describe us now? We are not slaves in the most basic sense but we are slaves to things like money, power, getting ahead, etc. But if this the case for Black American are not Nigerians that come to this country and work hard like us also slaves to these things, so does that mean I can call Nigerians Akata too and they wont be offended?

Just as a point of clarity, what do Nigerians call black people in the UK, Brazil, etc?

Oh and yea if you date a 'ghetto chick' you get what you get. If you upgrade and date a female with some home training you will realize they are really really good girls.
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by Nobody: 10:22pm On Jan 08, 2009
sistawoman:

Is it OK to call someone a name because they don't know what it means?

Every Nigerian I ask has told me that Akata is derogatory and not a good thing to be called.

When I ask them how would they describe me their response is dudu not Akata. So either the Nigerians in Maryland have changed the meaning or they are just stupid and have no idea what they are saying.

If it means slaves then is that not the wrong word to describe us now? We are not slaves in the most basic sense but we are slaves to things like money, power, getting ahead, etc. But if this the case for Black American are not Nigerians that come to this country and work hard like us also slaves to these things, so does that mean I can call Nigerians Akata too and they wont be offended?

Just as a point of clarity, what do Nigerians call black people in the UK, Brazil, etc?

Oh and yea if you date a 'ghetto chick' you get what you get. If you upgrade and date a female with some home training you will realize they are really really good girls.

I'm not necessarily saying its okay to call anyone a slave. I'm just saying thats prolly the origin of the word akata.
I don't know what they call blacks in the UK but i'm pretty sure its not akata. America is where slavery became a serious issue. This kind of reassures me that akata originated due to slavery.

Even if it is derogatory, i can assure you that most Nigerians only use is to differentiate between African Americans and Africans.
If you're looking for derogatory words then words like "elegbon" might be a good one .   .   . which is simply used to refer to "brodas from da hood".

By the way, Nigerians don't call anyone dudu. By dudu, they are only referring to your colour. DUDU means the "Color BLACK" and is not necessarilly used to refer to a person. You can describe a person as being dudu (black) but you don't call them dudu.

As for Akata i don't see it as derogatory
Akata - African American
Kokoye - Mexican
Chinco - Chinese
Oju eku - Vietnamese (okay, i made this one up)
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by KarmaMod(f): 10:25pm On Jan 08, 2009
How come sista doesnt scream when the akatas grin here call us "african bootyscratchers"

better get over it, "akata" is here to stay. cheesy We have names for other tribes within Nigeria not to talk of people outside of it, what makes you people so special that you think you wont get one?

Berra wake up grin

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by Magz(m): 10:49pm On Jan 08, 2009
KarmaMod:

We have names for other tribes within Nigeria not to talk of people outside of it, what makes you people so special that you think you wont get one?

Berra wake up grin

We are really one and the same, though
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by tpia: 10:53pm On Jan 08, 2009
Re: Have You Ever Dated A Black-american? by Magz(m): 10:59pm On Jan 08, 2009
We all originated somewhere or another in the Gambia

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? / An Honest Question From A Somali / Ogun: A Yoruba Word With Morethan 20 Meanings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.