Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,744 members, 7,824,143 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:30 AM

Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? (13357 Views)

Is Black Magic Real Or Just Made Up To Scare People? / Igbo-Nigerian Men Are The Most Handsome Men In Africa! / American Women That Marry Nigerian Men (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by chiogo(f): 12:18am On Nov 09, 2007
Is It That Naija Dudes Are Lazy Or Totally Insensitive?  No offense, but this is what I noticed.

Some relatives from naija (a man and his wife) came visitin' at our place. During their visit, they went shopping a lot and I noticed the wife is always carrying the heavy stuff they bought while the husband is just walking with nothing in his hands.

It's weird to me, like how can a man who's supposed to be stronger let his wife carry heavy stuff while he just walks as if he has no business with the whole thing?

I've never seen such here in the US.  Men carry all the heavy stuff.  In fact, all the stuff.  Why are Nigerian men insensitive?

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by almondjoy(f): 4:22am On Nov 09, 2007
Abeg I no talk oh! lipsrsealed
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by MP007(m): 7:56am On Nov 09, 2007
what a man can do,, i woman can do better, grin
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by JustGood(m): 9:38am On Nov 09, 2007
If you don't like the man, leave him. Na by force?
Why bashing Nigerian men everywhere? If you don't like the ways of Nigerian men, please go and find men from wherever you like and you can come back to tell us how much they respected you and your relationship.

My point is, there are different personalities to people and no single person or group of people is 100% perfect. While you are seeking out the negatives in Naija men, start looking for the positives in other men. Please go and be with those others.
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by londoner: 9:43am On Nov 09, 2007
Justgood, I agree with you. Chiogo, there are many men from other nationalities who dont do that. South Africa, Ghana, Cameroun, Ivory coast, Ethiopia etc. There are plenty more fish in the sea.
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by mamaput(f): 11:38am On Nov 09, 2007
so from this one man you judge all nigerian men.
are you sure that the lady was not the bossy kind that would not even have allowed the man to carry her bags for her.
are you sure he even wanted to go shopping for her.
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by dafman(m): 3:29pm On Nov 09, 2007
mamaput:

are you sure that the lady was not the bossy kind that would not even have allowed the man to carry her bags for her.

Thank you very much!
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Nov 09, 2007
You'd think men from other nationalities were made of divine gold.
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by chiogo(f): 10:30pm On Nov 09, 2007
Hmmmm, there we go again!!!
MP007:

what a man can do,, i woman can do better, grin
well, that's true but not just any woman we're talkin' about here but your wife. Isn't cookin' enough work??[
JustGood:

If you don't like the man, leave him. Na by force?
Why bashing Nigerian men everywhere? If you don't like the ways of Nigerian men, please go and find men from wherever you like and you can come back to tell us how much they respected you and your relationship.

My point is, there are different personalities to people and no single person or group of people is 100% perfect. While you are seeking out the negatives in Naija men, start looking for the positives in other men. Please go and be with those others.
Looka here, what i posted has nothin' to do with me. Go back and read correctly but when d time comes for my marriage, u can bet it's goin' to be a naija dude.don't let that be your personal problem now. Besides, i never said they were disrespectful just not sensitive. c'mon. english is really not that difficult. smiley
londoner:

Justgood, I agree with you. Chiogo, there are many men from other nationalities who don't do that. South Africa, Ghana, Cameroun, Ivory coast, Ethiopia etc. There are plenty more fish in the sea.

Exactly, u're right about that but unfortunately, i am not from any of those countries and d people am talkin' about here are not from those countries u mentioned either. I would have said "African men" but this has to do specifically with a Nigerian dude. smiley
mamaput:

I ain't judgin'. I see it all d time and in some naija movies but this case is severe to d extent that he had nothin' on him at all while d lady was carryin' tons of stuff.
davidylan:

You'd think men from other nationalities were made of divine gold.
Nobody said that. I prefer naija dudes to other dudes from any other country or even continent. This just has to do with bein' sensitive or not. simple question. why do people make life so difficult, huh?? smiley
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by mamaput(f): 10:56am On Nov 10, 2007
As i recall its normally kids that rush to help to carry the shopping.
am sure that that shopping was not food items but clothers or something.-
am not sure the woman would have allowed the husband to carry that.
but if that had been a bag of rice or a goat the husband would have carried it.
don't you know that some women are very possessive over their shopping bags.
I recall when i came new i had to get used to handing over the bags to a man.
Nigerian men carry heavy things and not handbags
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by tommyex(m): 11:21am On Nov 10, 2007
I don't think we are lazy.
When i look at it critically,some Nigeria guys can be insensitive and Nigeria girls are sensitive about their bags.If its a heavy stuff then the average guy will surely help,If he doesnt love her then 4 sure he wont feel free doing the hard chores like lifting her heavy bags,he may feel uncomfortable too.  grin

I ll jus echo what MAMAPUT wrote anyway.

I think where 1 lives can influence your way of doing things at times,so a 9Ja guy born n bred outside may not behave like the 1 that lives ere
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by Kc0022000(m): 11:49am On Nov 10, 2007
You don't have to look at it with western way of life. We are Africans and African will always be Africans in-fact, Kenyan men or worst than Nigerian men. Guess we are 100 % better than other African. That guy there is 100 % Naija remember he was visiting unlike you trying to cultivate western ways. Why didn't you help her yourself rather than looking at the man ?
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by aquita(m): 12:18pm On Nov 10, 2007
@chiogo, not all nigerian men are lazy and not all foreign dudes are strong. it all depends on the individual. the problem with nigerian women is that if u give them `allow`, they will take `allowance`. shey u understand? grin
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by wham(m): 12:47pm On Nov 10, 2007
Case dismissed

Justgood, Daviddylan and Mamaput have given the topic enough response

Some Naija men good, some naija men bad

Kawai!

Could be that some women like your relatives wife are not even complaining.
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by ifyalways(f): 3:05pm On Nov 10, 2007
perharps the lady choose to carry everything by herself.moreover the woman is not complaining is she?naija men are not sensitive at all,its an individual thing.every man runs things his way .
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by dvonne(f): 3:13pm On Nov 10, 2007
Leave them, they are gaining a reputation, and they women are getting tired of the insensitivity.
The world is becoming a small village thanks to the internet and globalisation,
Naija women are meeting other men from foreign countries , e.g Ghanaian men dey better pass una.

N>B when a man loves a woman he will do anything for her.
Naija men donot love.sorry for stereotype (most of una)
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by hbrednic: 3:47pm On Nov 10, 2007
wetin be the case there if the woman has to carry her shopping bags?
so the man has to struggle,make the money,do shopping for the wife and you still expect him to carry the bag?
because you be thick madam abi? go siddon for gutter jare.
naija men buy cars for their wife,even pay driver to carry them around,makes sure she and the kids lacks nothing
and you stil see them as insenstive.anyway na you sabi.
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by crazyT(m): 4:03pm On Nov 10, 2007
@ hbrednic

Gbam! You put it right and to add to it, some Nigerian women are raised (brought up) to respect their husband and some of these ladies see "carrying of shopping bags" as disrespecting to their husband. BTW is the said woman complaining to you?
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by dablessed(f): 4:04pm On Nov 10, 2007
You pple will not kill me on this land of naira, lailai, its not gonna happen,

Mamaput's post got me lafffing my head off, okies, now i know: Naija men carry heavy stuff like goat and bags of rice, beans etc, not hand bags!!!!!

But eh! You guys have been too harsh on chiogo with your comments, Haba! Easy now!
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by mamaput(f): 4:09pm On Nov 10, 2007
please nothing funny about that .
sometimes i see my daughters bf carry her bag for her (hand bag) and i ask my self once even him if he is a man.
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by lilrukevwe(m): 4:18pm On Nov 10, 2007
well maybe the guy was busy looking at skyscrapers that he was so engrossed he forgot he was there with the wife dont blame him
But Naija men are the best wen it comes to such display of emotions ask the ladies they wud tell u
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by Bhola(f): 4:31pm On Nov 10, 2007
Chiogo, I understand what you mean. Nigerians have a culture. Carrying grocery bags into the house is not something a Nigerian guy will normally do. It has nothing to do with laziness. If you get married and you want your man to carry the bags, tell him.
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by chiogo(f): 4:49pm On Nov 10, 2007
Seun rewrote my post. thanks tho.

@mamaput, thanks for your second comment, that makes more sense, u're right, they actually went shoppin' for clothes. now, i get it. smiley

@dablessed, it's all good. internet insult don't mean a thin' to me. cheesy

@everyone, thanks for your comments!!
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by hbrednic: 4:54pm On Nov 10, 2007
in any average naija famly
who works all day?                           the husband
who takes the kids to school?          the driver
who makes the food ?                        the cook  (ikaete)
who  takes care of kids?                       the maide
who  pays all the bills?                        the husband
who gossips all day on the phone and put on the latest wears   the wife
now tell me who is the lazy one?
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by chiogo(f): 4:56pm On Nov 10, 2007
That's not true, some wives do work. Infact, this couple am talkin' about, d wife works, even harder than d husband, i must say.
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by hbrednic: 5:10pm On Nov 10, 2007
yeah some women works more than their men,
but you shouldn't have generalised.
simply put (your friend is married to a lazy nigerian) thats more understandable.

@chiogo
marry a naija man and you will live happly ever after grin grin grin
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by mamaput(f): 5:17pm On Nov 10, 2007
No
in the good old days when we used to go shopping for cloths with our dad. we would never have allowed him to carry those cloths even if he had begged on his knees.
for the simply reason.
we did not feel that bthey were importat enough to my dad to take good care of them.
he may have lost a bag or let one get stolen etc etc,
am some how sure that woman would never have allowed her husband to carry those bags she would have felt the same.
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by Ralvy(m): 5:19pm On Nov 10, 2007
If I decide to say something here, It'll just end up wyv beef. .

@poster; whats wit d question?
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by chiogo(f): 5:24pm On Nov 10, 2007
Ralvy:

If I decide to say something here, It'll just end up wyv beef. .

@poster; whats wit d question?
what u mean?? i can't ask a question?? just answer, jare. tongue

hbrednic:

yeah some women works more than their men,
but you shouldn't have generalised.
simply put (your friend is married to a lazy nigerian) thats more understandable.

@chiogo
marry a naija man and you will live happly ever after grin grin grin

don't worry, i'll do just thAt. smiley
mamaput:

No
in the good old days when we used to go shopping for cloths with our dad. we would never have allowed him to carry those cloths even if he had begged on his knees.
for the simply reason.
we did not feel that bthey were importat enough to my dad to take good care of them.
he may have lost a bag or let one get stolen etc etc,
am some how sure that woman would never have allowed her husband to carry those bags she would have felt the same.
true for my father but my husband?? he gotta carry it. lipsrsealed am sorry.
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by richo(m): 5:35pm On Nov 10, 2007
me i dont care oh. me and my wife to be will carry the load together.am not wood naw haw will i carry all and she will still be lookin for wat else to buy, with my money sef!!
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by mamaput(f): 5:43pm On Nov 10, 2007
true for my father but my husband?? he gotta carry it. am sorry.

father husband both are men
Re: Are Nigerian Men Lazy Or Just Completely Insensitive? by hotchic1(f): 5:45pm On Nov 10, 2007
hbrednic:

in any average naija famly
who works all day?                           the husband
who takes the kids to school?          the driver
who makes the food ?                        the cook  (ikaete)
who  takes care of kids?                       the maide
who  pays all the bills?                        the husband
who gossips all day on the phone and put on the latest wears   the wife
now tell me who is the lazy one?

HABA!
Dat was then,nowadayz,women work just as hard as their partner,either for one reason or the other.

@ Poster
I understand what you are trying to say but you are only lookin at it that way probably because you are out of the country
But its not part of the average nigerian culture to do stuffs like that, though things are beginning to change.

Besides,an average nigerian guy will come up and tell you,after doing this and that,you still expect them to carry your stuffs,family and neighbours are gonna be like you've turned him to a slave or sumthing.

Asmuch asi like my man to do this stuffs,i still got face truth of the matter which is the fact that we can't compare 9ja and this countries side by side,i don't know what happens in other places, but in most cases,the wife works as hard as the men do to to make ends meet abroad, thus the men over there have learnt to do this little stuffs that means a lot to we women.

With an average nigerian man,its gonna be like that,only those who have travelled,learnt those stuffs and are willing to put them into practise.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

An Honest Question From A Somali / Ogun: A Yoruba Word With Morethan 20 Meanings / Pictures From Obodoukwu Festival Held In Imo State

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.