Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,834 members, 7,817,452 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:31 PM

Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They Are Wrong? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They Are Wrong? (2379 Views)

15 Lies All Nigerian Parents Tell Their Children / Responsibilities For Children When Growing Up? / Should Parents Barge Into Their Children's Rooms? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They Are Wrong? by yemicoal(m): 10:28pm On Feb 13, 2015
What do you think?
Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They Are Wrong? by fluffybaby(f): 10:37pm On Feb 13, 2015
In my home, we do esp if we over reacted to something we believed the child did wrong only to find out that we exploded too soon lipsrsealed And now my kids are quick to say sorry when they are wrong too.

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They Are Wrong? by Mutuwa(m): 10:42pm On Feb 13, 2015
That should be the norm..but in Africa..some parents think they are flawless,and even if they think they are subjectively right,while objectively wrong they put forth arrogance and keep mute about apology..this is one out of copious factors that makes kids of nowadays have little respect for the aged.
It doesn't cost anything to apologies to ur kids,esp kids of nowadays wey smart pass tortoise .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They Are Wrong? by Stillfire: 10:43pm On Feb 13, 2015
Yes they should apologize.
Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They Are Wrong? by Nobody: 10:46pm On Feb 13, 2015
OMG shocked
Are you seriously asking if it's right?

C'mon children have emotions too. They are human beings. Worse still as a child, all they know is that you hurt them. And they will remember. It's not nice to be remembered as a mean bítch of a mother or father. So, yes, do apologize unequivocally.

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They Are Wrong? by yemicoal(m): 10:55pm On Feb 13, 2015
fluffybaby:
In my home, we do esp if we over reacted to something we believed the child did wrong only to find out that we exploded too soon lipsrsealed And now my kids are quick to say sorry when they are wrong too.
cool. This will go a long way in building the parent-child relationship
Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They Are Wrong? by pweetixandy: 10:56pm On Feb 13, 2015
Naija parents? Mcheeeeeeew

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They Are Wrong? by yemicoal(m): 10:56pm On Feb 13, 2015
Aprime:
OMG shocked
Are you seriously asking if it's right?

C'mon children have emotions too. They are human beings. Worse still as a child, all they know is that you hurt them. And they will remember. It's not nice to be remembered as a mean bítch of a mother or father. So, yes, do apologize unequivocally.
bruv, some African parents feel whatever they do is right, they would never apologize , they would rather shift blames
Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They Are Wrong? by yemicoal(m): 10:59pm On Feb 13, 2015
pweetixandy:
Naija parents? Mcheeeeeeew
grin, your comment says it all
Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They Are Wrong? by SuperSuave(m): 11:08pm On Feb 13, 2015
Incase
Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They Are Wrong? by auntymi(f): 11:24pm On Feb 13, 2015
No big deaL
Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They Are Wrong? by Tashaamania(f): 11:25pm On Feb 13, 2015
Why not? Freaking hell yeah!!

I'm sorry has no age limits..

Asides that, its part of inculcating manners into your child, so that they know how and when to use the I'm sorry word..
Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They Are Wrong? by elantraceey(f): 11:33pm On Feb 13, 2015
yemicoal:
bruv, some African parents feel whatever they do is right, they would never apologize , they would rather shift blames

That's very annoying , , they feel they're always right and when it's glaring that they're wrong they start changing mouth and shifting blames, you'll never hear i'm sorry .
Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They Are Wrong? by Vision4God: 12:13am On Feb 14, 2015
Yes. Dat makes d home more n more sweeter.
Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They Are Wrong? by KanwuliaJara: 12:18am On Feb 14, 2015
Hmmmmmm

*sighs*

Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They Are Wrong? by EfemenaXY: 12:39am On Feb 14, 2015
yemicoal:
What do you think?

Of course. It's a no-brainer.

Apologizing when wrong shows you take responsibility for your actions when you've made a mistake. There is no shame in apologizing and there shouldn't be any pride attached to it. Afterall no one is perfect.

But most importantly, children learn by example, and from adults. So if their parents acknowledge they are / were wrong on certain issues, and apologize, they not only set a good example but also help their kids positively too.

2 Likes

Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They Are Wrong? by cococandy(f): 2:22am On Feb 14, 2015
How else are you going to teach them to be apologetic when in the wrong if you don't set good examples yourself?
Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They Are Wrong? by Nobody: 2:40am On Feb 14, 2015
Apology has nothing to do with age,... if you are wrong, then say it...'am sorry'.
Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They Are Wrong? by Nobody: 4:52am On Feb 14, 2015
Yes,it will even impact on the child positively..

My mum does that,whenever she over-reacted to issues,or she knows she's offended you,she will openly apologize,and even call the other children to apologize on her behalf her.
Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They Are Wrong? by Ewuro4: 5:05am On Feb 14, 2015
YES

They aren't dummies and have feelings too.
Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They Are Wrong? by yemicoal(m): 6:29am On Feb 14, 2015
SuperSuave:
Incase
space booker angry
Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They Are Wrong? by yemicoal(m): 6:30am On Feb 14, 2015
auntymi:
No big deaL
even as an African parent?
Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They Are Wrong? by yemicoal(m): 6:32am On Feb 14, 2015
elantraceey:

That's very annoying , , they feel they're always right and when it's glaring that they're wrong they start changing mouth and shifting blames, you'll never hear i'm sorry .
true tho cheesy
Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They Are Wrong? by yemicoal(m): 6:34am On Feb 14, 2015
Tashaamania:
Why not? Freaking hell yeah!!

I'm sorry has no age limits..

Asides that, its part of inculcating manners into your child, so that they know how and when to use the I'm sorry word..
yh, I've tried studying most African parents they don't do it tho, I think the whites do more of d apologizing tingy.
Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They Are Wrong? by yemicoal(m): 6:34am On Feb 14, 2015
Vision4God:
Yes. Dat makes d home more n more sweeter.
cool
Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They Are Wrong? by yemicoal(m): 6:37am On Feb 14, 2015
cococandy:
How else are you going to teach them to be apologetic when in the wrong if you don't set good examples yourself?
Lol, they had rather teach you to be apologetic with slaps and beating, some don't see reasons y they should apologise. They feel as your parent/Guardian you r always wrong.

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They Are Wrong? by yemicoal(m): 6:38am On Feb 14, 2015
Yomieluv:
Yes,it will even impact on the child positively..

My mum does that,whenever she over-reacted to issues,or she knows she's offended you,she will openly apologize,and even call the other children to apologize on her behalf her.
wow, your mum is cool cool, a rare mum i'ld say.
Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They Are Wrong? by yemicoal(m): 6:39am On Feb 14, 2015
Ewuro4:
YES

They aren't dummies and have feelings too.
cheesy
Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They Are Wrong? by Nobody: 6:51am On Feb 14, 2015
Yea sure parents should apologize. Don't know why my mother didn't apologize when she wrongly punished us. She is too big to say sorry to her kids.
Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They Are Wrong? by yemicoal(m): 8:24am On Feb 14, 2015
MrsOJ:
Yea sure parents should apologize. Don't know why my mother didn't apologize when she wrongly punished us. She is too big to say sorry to her kids.
lmao grin... Sorry dear, at least you know better now
Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They Are Wrong? by Nobody: 8:34am On Feb 14, 2015
yes! especially if you yell at them way too much. Children are so emotional and at the end it could result to the logical thinking that you hate them. i remember when i was much younger, my parents try to apologize if they wronged me and my siblings, my mother especially, my father is so uptight and never cared grin but he tried as much as he could.
Re: Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They Are Wrong? by Nobody: 9:17am On Feb 14, 2015
If I were in the U.S I would say yes but in Nigeria culture,Parents are gods,there decisions and mistakes are flawless....i don't need my parents apology cos it will damage their Ego

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hear What A Mother Told Her Daughter On Her Wedding Day / What Should I Do? / Nairaland, Advice Needed: His Wife Named Their Son After Her First Love.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.