Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,013 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:17 AM

The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? (10295 Views)

BMW Global Recall - Are You Affected? / Fresh Out Of The Port 2005 Honda Accord (eod).....SOLD SOLD SOLD / Fresh Out Of The Port 1998/1999 Volkswagen Passat Wagon For Sale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by babeisme: 10:19am On Jan 05, 2009
Is it just me on the port congestion in Lagos right now is Crazy!
My clearing agent is usually the best so i know for a fact it's not him. "The ports in Lagos are congested" they say! But my question is why would customs keep allowing more and more ships to dock, if they know there's no space for them to offload!

Everyday is the same story, "the ship is here, but it can't offload". My shipments take exactly 2 weeks to get to nigeria and that has never failed! NEVER! But the offloading and clearing process here in Nigeria is almost taking longer than the shipping period itself! Why?

So i took it upon myself to go to the Apapa/Tincan port by private boat to check things out for myself! As you all know, my customers DESERVE THE BEST so i go extreme lengths for them. I wanted to get the story first hand from the ports myself!

Below are some, when i say some, i mean only a few pictures of what the "congestion" looks like!

Nigeria!!!!!

Anyone else has similar experience, Pls share.

Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by babeisme: 10:23am On Jan 05, 2009
Actually, looking at the pictures now, it doesn't really show much. The boat was going too fast for my camera, but trust me, it's very very very bad!
lots and lots of Ship just there and can't offload.
My question remains, Why and How?

Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by inspiredm(m): 10:46am On Jan 05, 2009
The Congestion at the Lagos Ports is Terrible. both sea & land Ports are Congested.

Usually Congestions are expected during Seasonal peroids like this, but this is the Worse so far,

The situation is so bad that incoming ships now anchor on high seas for weeks before they get slots to berth. And the many containers that have not been cleared leaves No room for fresh ones to be off-loaded

Informations reaching me is that Further Ships Might be Diverted to Neighboring Ports, theres a Log Back Probably due to the End of the Year Frenzy.

Similar Experience was also in December 2006

Now that the vacations are Over We hope Clearing would return to Normal. its so frustrating. angry angry angry
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by TayoD1(m): 5:05pm On Jan 05, 2009
@topic,

E no eazy at all. The ship that brought my car to the Lagos Port has being there for up to four weeks now. I intend to call my Agent in Lagos again today and see if it has finally offloaded. I'll be back here for a feedback.

Apart from the delay which is frustrating enough, the commercial implication of the delay cannot be ignored as well. In my case, I found a buyer for my Nissan Xterra about 4 weeks ago. The buyer being a friend, I sold it for so cheap - N1.5m. This was equivalent to $12,500 at the then exchange rate of N120 to $1. However, I now understand that the dollar trades to the Naira at the rate of N150 to $1. That means I will be getting just $10,000 for the truck. I have thus lost $2,500 because of the delay.

I can't review the price becuase I already gave my word to the buyer, and I'll rather lose money than go back on my words. I just feel sorry for many car dealers who transact high volumes and may have entered agreement with buyers without anticipating this wahala.
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by jenju(m): 6:20pm On Jan 05, 2009
Tayo-D:

I just feel sorry for many car dealers who transact high volumes and may have entered agreement with buyers without anticipating this wahala.

@Tayo-D, the conjestion has resulted to an average of 3weeks delay for getting my non Grimaldi shipped RORO cars out of the ports. The containers via Grimaldi and Grimaldi ROROs are not affected that much since Grimaldi completely controls its own port operations -  my Grimaldi shipped cars have been steadily cleared with hardly any delay.

As far as the bolded part above,  I remember that 2 years ago the dollar was selling for N147 and then sold for N118/N119 just a month ago.  When the price dropped to N119, we dealers did not reduce our prices but enjoyed the windfall. smiley   Its all part of doing business - you win some and lose some.

Fotunately, all Jenju customers are informed every step of the way. We never promised to deliver in 20, 25, or even 30 days - a promise that will end up broken with a 100% certainty.

Cheers,
J
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by babeisme: 11:31am On Jan 06, 2009
@ Tayo-D,
for real!!!! I'm loosing a whole whole lot on my previous deals too due to the fall in naira value! it's crazy!
and about Grimaldi, i just heard of them yesterday and the fact that they are never affected by the congestion. So now, i'll have to make better choices for shipping!
whatever the case may be, my customers know that their cars arrived in exactly 2 weeks and the only reason for this is because of the festive December!!! God is on the throne and by God's grace, it'll be over soon!
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by ToToChoper: 4:20pm On Jan 06, 2009
MSC MSC everywhere----damn!!!

Past experiences reveal Grimaldi gives one the run-around on ship out date-----could even be 2-3months, but clearing is done fast. I surely hope port officials work diligently to reduce this madness at Tincan.

How does this play into the accumulation of demurrage charges?
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by jenju(m): 4:39pm On Jan 06, 2009
ToToChoper:

Past experiences reveal Grimaldi gives one the run-around on ship out date-----could even be 2-3months, but clearing is done fast. I surely hope port officials work diligently to reduce this madness at Tincan.

You are quite correct regarding the run-around on ship out date. It is basically first in first out, and you may need to pull strings at the port to get your vehicle appropriately promoted. The uncertainty is usually with their RORO where your car could sit at the port for months if you don't do the needed due delligence.  As far as containers, my experience has been good, they usually leave when i get the booking.  The authorities will not allow them to keep containers in the port for too long. 

Oh boy, wettin be MSC?

Cheers,
J
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by ToToChoper: 7:44pm On Jan 06, 2009
Bros. J.,

Babeisme's pix reveal containers owned mostly by Mediterranean (or Marco) Shipping Company; MSC.

They do have an office in Lagos right in Apapa there and below is a link to the branch.

http://marcoshippingcompany.com/index.html

But wetin me dey fear nah demurrage, I go die oh. grin
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by inspiredm(m): 7:54pm On Jan 06, 2009
Totochopper,

Almost called Mama to retrieve your number today, Call me up, theres an update on the Passat

Thanks
cool cool
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by TayoD1(m): 8:12pm On Jan 06, 2009
@topic,

Update. I just called my Agent who confirmed that the ship has finally been allowed to offload. My truck should be out in about 3 days. About time I say, about time.

Regarding Grimaldi, I don't think I'll want to deal with people who will promise one thing and do another. When i called AES Shipping, they told me the next shipment to Lagos was in about 10 days. I got my car there in time and the car sailed the same day they promised via RORO. Now that is my kind of company. The Port congestion is not their fault at all. If anything, the shipping company is the one that loses much more money due to the delay.

I don't think this should affect anyone. I believe demurrage only accumulates from the day you are meant to pick up your goods. Up until now, my car was not retrievable by my Agent. Am I right or is there any other twist to this?
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by Jesarmy(f): 8:35pm On Jan 06, 2009
Tayo-D:

@topic,

Update. I just called my Agent who confirmed that the ship has finally been allowed to offload. My truck should be out in about 3 days. About time I say, about time.

Regarding Grimaldi, I don't think I'll want to deal with people who will promise one thing and do another. When i called AES Shipping, they told me the next shipment to Lagos was in about 10 days. I got my car there in time and the car sailed the same day they promised via RORO. Now that is my kind of company. The Port congestion is not their fault at all. If anything, the shipping company is the one that loses much more money due to the delay.
I don't think this should affect anyone. I believe demurrage only accumulates from the day you are meant to pick up your goods. Up until now, my car was not retrievable by my Agent. Am I right or is there any other twist to this?
@Tayo D ,
thanks for this education could you kindly forward to me the contact for the AES  shipping agency and if you don't mind your clearing agent contact too in Nigeria to my businness email address -support@jesarmyventures.com
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by Jafour: 8:42pm On Jan 06, 2009
babeisme:

Is it just me on the port congestion in Lagos right now is Crazy!

You are not the only one experiencing the port congestion. 3 of my containers arrived Lagos on November 01, 2008 up till now they have not been cleared. I kept mute and a bit surprised when I read adverts on NL people making assertion of their delivery during the yuletide period. I thought may be, they are doing RORO because you are only allow in Canada to export your goods in container.

No doubt this annual congestion during the yuletide period has affected business a lot couple with the fact that the naira took a steep fall in value.

Three of my customers who  pre-ordered  their vehicles are asking for refund since I could not deliver as promised. The most annoying is the guy who wanted to make use of his pre-ordered Toyota Camry 2007 for his wedding in December 2008. I had thought the containers will be cleared as usual under 2-3 weeks in November and deliver to him for his wedding but alas the Nigerian factors steered me in the face and I was rendered useless, hopeless and  above all incapable of satisfying my customers. The purpose of buying a good car at a lower price by the "would be groom" has been defeated by this  man-made congestion.
I am at a loss on what to do because
babeisme:

Everyday is the same story,
from my clearing agent.
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by jenju(m): 8:45pm On Jan 06, 2009
@Tayo-D,

AES is a freightforwarder that now primarily uses Hoegh for shipping. 90% of the time, if you get your car to the port on time, it will ship as promised. I have had vehicles in port, particularly SUVs, that didn't ship as promised by AES, but left on the next ship. I have to admit that as far as RORO is concerned Hoegh is the most reliable.  Given the current conjestion, if one has 3 to 4 cars to ship, Grimaldi containers might be the most reliable option.  This assumes that one is shipping from the east coast of the USA.

@T_Choper, Thanks for the info. So na MSC dey clog the port with junk from Asia  smiley
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by Jafour: 8:55pm On Jan 06, 2009
jenju:

@T_Choper, Thanks for the info. So na MSC dey clog the port with junk from Asia smiley

May be but all my containers are shipped with MSC from Canada
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by ToToChoper: 9:03pm On Jan 06, 2009
MSC is a huge corporation. They have offices worldwide.
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by Jafour: 9:05pm On Jan 06, 2009
inspired_m:

The Congestion at the Lagos Ports is Terrible. both sea & land Ports are Congested.

Informations reaching me is that Further Ships Might be Diverted to Neighboring Ports, theres a Log Back Probably due to the End of the Year Frenzy.

angry angry angry

@Inspired_M
Your information is late. One of my containers has been already diverted and discharged in Tema, Ghana on December 22, 2008. Please log on on to MSC site www.mscgva. ch and track container number MEDU8307871
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by Jesarmy(f): 9:09pm On Jan 06, 2009
jenju:

@Tayo-D,

AES is a freightforwarder that now primarily uses Hoegh for shipping. 90% of the time, if you get your car to the port on time, it will ship as promised. I have had vehicles in port, particularly SUVs, that didn't ship as promised by AES, but left on the next ship. I have to admit that as far as RORO is concerned Hoegh is the most reliable.  Given the current conjestion, if one has 3 to 4 cars to ship, Grimaldi containers might be the most reliable option.  This assumes that one is shipping from the east coast of the USA.

@T_Choper, Thanks for the info. So na MSC dey clog the port with junk from Asia  smiley
@Jenju,thanks also for this education,could you please reply my email with the information I requested this would guide in me in making some informed decision.Thanks a bunch
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by jenju(m): 9:19pm On Jan 06, 2009
Jafour:

May be but all my containers are shipped with MSC from Canada

@Jafour, pele o. The whole congestion problem is a disgrace and it is costing the government $millions not to talk of costs to businessmen. Insha Allah you will recoup any losses 10 fold before the end of the year.

@jesarmy, Expect my reply with 8 - 24hours.
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by TayoD1(m): 9:33pm On Jan 06, 2009
@Jesarmyl,

I just sent you an email with all the information you requested.

All the best.
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by Jafour: 10:05pm On Jan 06, 2009
jenju:

@Jafour, pele o. The whole congestion problem is a disgrace and it is costing the government $millions not to talk of costs to businessmen. Insha Allah you will recoup any losses 10 fold before the end of the year.

@Jenju

Amen. Thank you brother for your consolation.

I do not think the congestion is costing the government $millions because of what I heard from my agent that Dangote has occupied a substantial part of the terminal for the discharge of his goods and other shipping lines lke Grilmadi that control their port operations. The government is still making its money while the shipping lines that cannot berth or discharge its goods are the loosers. The businessmen are counting their losses while the immigration and customs men are smilling to the banks.

My brother, it is a terrible situation for international trade.
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by Jesarmy(f): 10:06pm On Jan 06, 2009
Tayo-D:

@Jesarmyl,

I just sent you an email with all the information you requested.

All the best.
@TayoD,
Thanks for your email,I deeply appreciate it and will keep you posted.
@Jenju,I hold you to your promise.
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by Jesarmy(f): 10:25pm On Jan 06, 2009
Jafour:

You are not the only one experiencing the port congestion. 3 of my containers arrived Lagos on November 01, 2008 up till now they have not been cleared. I kept mute and a bit surprised when I read adverts on NL people making assertion of their delivery during the yuletide period. I thought may be, they are doing RORO because you are only allow in Canada to export your goods in container.

No doubt this annual congestion during the yuletide period has affected business a lot couple with the fact that the naira took a steep fall in value.

Three of my customers who pre-ordered their vehicles are asking for refund since I could not deliver as promised. The most annoying is the guy who wanted to make use of his pre-ordered Toyota Camry 2007 for his wedding in December 2008. I had thought the containers will be cleared as usual
under 2-3 weeks in November and deliver to him for his wedding but alas the Nigerian factors steered me in the face and I was rendered useless, hopeless and above all incapable of satisfying my customers. The purpose of buying a good car at a lower price by the "would be groom" has been defeated by this man-made congestion.
I am at a loss on what to do because from my clearing agent.

@jafour,
I could imagine what you are going thru now,I pray the good Lord would send you customers to recoup your losses,let me know what cars you have available when it is cleared,I may be able to spread the word to some friends working for some academic and international organisations in Nigeria.
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by jazzsoul: 10:50pm On Jan 06, 2009
I do not think the congestion is costing the government $millions because of what I heard from my agent that Dangote has occupied a substantial part of the terminal for the discharge of his goods and other shipping lines lke Grilmadi that control their port operations. The government is still making its money while the shipping lines that cannot berth or discharge its goods are the loosers. The businessmen are counting their losses while the immigration and customs men are smilling to the banks.

My brother, it is a terrible situation for international trade.
[quote][/quote]

I have to disagree with you Jafour. The port congestion is definitely a negative cost to the government and all business people. What is happening to business concerns that are not as priviledged as Dangote to handle their own port activities. The government has spent huge sums to alleviate port congestion but incompetence , corruprion and nepotism has rendered those efforts meaningless. May be it will get to a stage where commercial vessels will start to avoid Nigerian ports because of the cost disadvantage.
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by inspiredm(m): 11:32pm On Jan 06, 2009
Jafour:

@Inspired_M
Your information is late. One of my containers has been already diverted and discharged in Tema, Ghana on December 22, 2008. Please log on on to MSC site www.mscgva. ch and track container number MEDU8307871

Jafour link=topic=214751.msg3310272#msg3310272 date=1231270944:

Three of my customers who pre-ordered their vehicles are asking for refund since I could not deliver as promised. The most annoying is the guy who wanted to make use of his pre-ordered Toyota Camry 2007 for his wedding in December 2008. I had thought the containers will be cleared as usual under 2-3 weeks in November and deliver to him for his wedding but alas the Nigerian factors steered me in the face and I was rendered useless, hopeless and above all incapable of satisfying my customers. The purpose of buying a good car at a lower price by the "would be groom" has been defeated by this man-made congestion.
I am at a loss on what to do because from my clearing agent.

[b]Yeah Some Vessels were diverted to Calabar and neighboring Ports, I personally think the Bureaucratic Clearing Procedure is the Only reasonable explanation for the Congestion, the Yuletide Excuse is flimpsy because Ports were Opened all through except on Public Holidays

While I understand that RORO is not applicable to Vehicles shipped out of Canada, In My Opinion, RORO is still the fastest form of Shipping Vehicles to Nigeria except for Extremely High Valued Vehicles which may cost a tooth to insure via RORO.

You can explain to your Pre order Clients since the Problem is No fault of Yours, I had same Issue with Some Pre Order Clients that needed their SUVs for Xmas and Seeing the Problem is General, they had to Understand, I also Informed all my Pre Order Clients with Vehicles Pending about the US $ rate and how we can work to amend the 70% Balance Due to adjust to the New Rate and So far Most of my clients have been Understanding and Supportive.

I Pray you Gain your Losses in Multiple Folds Very Soon.

Thanks
[/b]
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by phammyus: 12:10am On Jan 07, 2009
We are all going through the same situation, i hope the congestion  will ease up soon. For those who incurred loses, i pray they recover.

The business must keep moving! wink

@babeisme
i hope the lose is not much  undecided, you'll smile soon smiley
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by Jesarmy(f): 12:16am On Jan 07, 2009
jenju:

@jesarmy, Expect my reply with 8 - 24hours.
@Jenju,
Thanks for your call I gained a lot form our conversation.
@all
This sharing of information and ideas would definitely help to make informed decisions.
Who knows we may even be able to form a coalition force that would address the inexcuseable lapses with which the nigerian govt do bussiness.
I think it is high time we begin to take pro active steps and come up with collective ideas on how to salvage our dear country because as long as every one continue to do to your tents o Isreal and look after themselves only,situation would continue to deteriorate.
For starters how about getting a journalist to cover the situation in the Nigerian port and aired over the major airwaves in Nigeria,post pictures on the web or upload video of the situation to youtube e.t.c and above all I pray God would deliver Nigeria.
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by JJYOU: 1:28am On Jan 07, 2009
inspired_m:

[b]Yeah Some Vessels were diverted to Calabar and neighboring Ports, I personally think the Bureaucratic Clearing Procedure is the Only reasonable explanation for the Congestion, the Yuletide Excuse is flimpsy because Ports were Opened all through except on Public Holidays

While I understand that RORO is not applicable to Vehicles shipped out of Canada, In My Opinion, RORO is still the fastest form of Shipping Vehicles to Nigeria except for Extremely High Valued Vehicles which may cost a tooth to insure via RORO.

You can explain to your Pre order Clients since the Problem is No fault of Yours, I had same Issue with Some Pre Order Clients that needed their SUVs for Xmas and Seeing the Problem is General, they had to Understand, I also Informed all my Pre Order Clients with Vehicles Pending about the US $ rate and how we can work to amend the 70% Balance Due to adjust to the New Rate and So far Most of my clients have been Understanding and Supportive.

I[b] Pray you Gain your Losses in Multiple Folds Very Soon.[/b]

Thanks
[/b]

amen
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by jubar007: 1:46am On Jan 07, 2009
because of the congestion at the ports , i can get three of my vehicles out, may God almighty help us all
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by klas(m): 2:15am On Jan 07, 2009
Quote from babeisme: on Yesterday at 11:31:27 AM 
for real!!!! I'm loosing a whole whole lot on my previous deals too due to the fall in naira value! it's crazy!
and about Grimaldi, i just heard of them yesterday and the fact that they are never affected by the congestion. So now, i'll have to make better choices for shipping!
whatever the case may be, my customers know that their cars arrived in exactly 2 weeks and the only reason for this is because of the festive December!!! God is on the throne and by God's grace, it'll be over soon!

Quote from ToTochoper: on Yesterday at 04:20:13 PM 

Quote from jenju: on Yesterday at 04:39:53 PM
You are quite correct regarding the run-around on ship out date. It is basically first in first out, and you may need to pull strings at the port to get your vehicle appropriately promoted. The uncertainty is usually with their RORO where your car could sit at the port for months if you don't do the needed due delligence.  As far as containers, my experience has been good, they usually leave when i get the booking. 

@ babeisme
The bolded parts are relevant. Look before you leap. don't sack your current shipper yet. This is a force majure situation.
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by TayoD1(m): 2:22pm On Jan 07, 2009
@klas,

@ babeisme
The bolded parts are relevant. Look before you leap. don't sack your current shipper yet. This is a force majure situation.
I agree.
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by babeisme: 4:47pm On Jan 07, 2009
@ Klas, you're totally right sir! thanks for being a very understanding customer. Thanks for being a PROMPT payer too. I'm just disappointed at the whole things that's why i've been lamenting. But in business, you win some, and loose some.
To me, its not just the money loss, it's the fact that my customers have to wait so long, and thats why i didn't increase the prices of my december orders despite the huge loss i'm suffering! My word is my word so even if the dollar gets to 175 by the time the cars are out, the prices we agreed on remain THE SAME! That's babeisme policy!

@ everyone else, thanks for your inputs, i have learnt a lot from this thread. hopefully, this would be history soon. How soon? only God knows!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tokunbo 2012 Land Rover Range Rover Evoque Prestige 4-door,,Price: N11m / Remote Start Tokubo Toyota Highlander In Akure,ondo State / No deal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.