Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,098 members, 7,818,285 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:57 AM

The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? - Autos (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? (10297 Views)

BMW Global Recall - Are You Affected? / Fresh Out Of The Port 2005 Honda Accord (eod).....SOLD SOLD SOLD / Fresh Out Of The Port 1998/1999 Volkswagen Passat Wagon For Sale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by babeisme: 4:55pm On Jan 07, 2009
@ Klas, you're totally right sir! thanks for being a very understanding customer. Thanks for being a PROMPT payer too. I'm just disappointed at the whole things that's why i've been lamenting. But in business, you win some, and loose some.
To me, its not just the money loss, it's the fact that my customers have to wait so long, and thats why i didn't increase the prices of my december orders despite the huge loss i'm suffering! My word is my word so even if the dollar gets to 175 by the time the cars are out, the prices we agreed on remain THE SAME! That's babeisme policy!

@ everyone else, thanks for your inputs, i have learnt a lot from this thread. hopefully, this would be history soon. How soon? only God knows!!!
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by Rouche: 7:12pm On Jan 07, 2009
The good news the President had given a 60 days altimatum to the principal stakeholedrs in the Nigeria Ports to decongest the seaports.

Decongest Ports In 60 Days, Yar'Adua Orders
By Andrew Airahuobhor, Correspondent, Lagos

Worried by the perennial congestion that has almost paralysed business activities in the Lagos ports, President Umar Musa Yar'Adua has directed principal stakeholders to immediately look for a way to decongest the nation's seaport within 60 days.

The Minister of Transport, Ibrahim Bio had on December 24, 2008, issued a two-week ultimatum to the stakeholders to decongest the ports, but the challenge did not yield result.

However, Bio disclosed the President's directive on Tuesday in Lagos, during a stakeholders meeting with key operators in the maritime sector of the economy in the country.

The Minister said that the President wanted the decongestion exercise carried out without further delay.

Addressing the stakeholders, which included terminal operators, Nigeria Customs Service (NCS), the Nigeria Port Authority (NPA), Freight Forwarders, NIMASA and service providers, the Minister recalled that 48 hours after he assumed office, he received series of complains about congestion in the nation's seaports.

Underscoring the seriousness of the issue of congestion, Bio said besides oil, the maritime industry is the major revenue earner for the country and as such, the congestion issue should not be treated with kid's glove.

According to the Minister, sanity in the nation's seaports will play a vital role in the seven point agenda of President Yar'Adua.

In his remark at the forum, the Minister of Finance, Mansur Muktar said; "we have serious situation at our hands which might affect the nation's economy negatively, especially at this period of global economic recession."

He noted that the essence of the stakeholders' meeting was to look into the immediate and remote causes of the congestion and to find a lasting solution to it.

Earlier, the Managing Director of the NPA, Abdul Salam Mohammed said congestion at the port is a major national challenge facing the nation's economy.

He pointed out that himself and Hamman Bello Ahmed, Comptroller General of Customs, had been summoned by the Ministers of Finance and Transport to find and establish the cause of the congestion.

According to him, the interactive session at the stakeholders meeting will enable them to find a lasting solution to the congestion.

"Let us work together as partners, to see to the growth of the nation's seaports, and let us be guided by sincere desire for change," Mohammed said.

The NPA boss also urged the participants to work hard by finding medium and short term solutions to the problem of congestion at the ports.
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by babeisme: 7:25pm On Jan 07, 2009
Great News Roche!!!! YAAAAAYY for FASHOLA Yar'adua!
wink smiley
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by sultaan(m): 8:57pm On Jan 07, 2009
Before you start dancing , try to answer this question;
How many times have they ever tried to fix the port's corrupt system and they actually got within 3-day clearing process?
The money involved in this process is greater than any PRESIDENT can inhibit with a meager executive order/request.
Yar Adua better keep his mouth shut or he'll be showing the whole country there are those he has no authority over.
It is one thing for a President to have to repeat his order, it another for him to be ridiculed with no head rolling to show he is serious; if he knows what that is.
For Nigeria to get to the next level of economic growth, all the inhibitions to trade has to be removed, until then they are all joking.
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by sdbaba: 3:21am On Jan 08, 2009
You're 100% correct Sultan. If heads don't roll in that sector, i don't think anything positive can be achieved, executive or non-executive orders!
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by megap: 4:45am On Jan 08, 2009
Decongest Ports in 60 Days, Yar'Adua Orders 7 January 2009

Worried by the perennial congestion that has almost paralysed business activities in the Lagos ports, President Umar Musa Yar'Adua has directed principal stakeholders to immediately look for a way to decongest the nation's seaport within 60 days.

The Minister of Transport, Ibrahim Bio had on December 24, 2008, issued a two-week ultimatum to the stakeholders to decongest the ports, but the challenge did not yield result.

However, Bio disclosed the President's directive on Tuesday in Lagos, during a stakeholders meeting with key operators in the maritime sector of the economy in the country.

The Minister said that the President wanted the decongestion exercise carried out without further delay.

Addressing the stakeholders, which included terminal operators, Nigeria Customs Service (NCS), the Nigeria Port Authority (NPA), Freight Forwarders, NIMASA and service providers, the Minister recalled that 48 hours after he assumed office, he received series of complains about congestion in the nation's seaports.

Underscoring the seriousness of the issue of congestion, Bio said besides oil, the maritime industry is the major revenue earner for the country and as such, the congestion issue should not be treated with kid's glove.

According to the Minister, sanity in the nation's seaports will play a vital role in the seven point agenda of President Yar'Adua.

In his remark at the forum, the Minister of Finance, Mansur Muktar said; "we have serious situation at our hands which might affect the nation's economy negatively, especially at this period of global economic recession."

He noted that the essence of the stakeholders' meeting was to look into the immediate and remote causes of the congestion and to find a lasting solution to it.

Earlier, the Managing Director of the NPA, Abdul Salam Mohammed said congestion at the port is a major national challenge facing the nation's economy.

He pointed out that himself and Hamman Bello Ahmed, Comptroller General of Customs, had been summoned by the Ministers of Finance and Transport to find and establish the cause of the congestion.

According to him, the interactive session at the stakeholders meeting will enable them to find a lasting solution to the congestion.

"Let us work together as partners, to see to the growth of the nation's seaports, and let us be guided by sincere desire for change," Mohammed said.

The NPA boss also urged the participants to work hard by finding medium and short term solutions to the problem of congestion at the ports.

I hope something good comes out from this.[i][/i][color=#990000][/color], The ship that brought my car has been in 9JA since December 15th. God go help us all.
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by sultaan(m): 5:36am On Jan 08, 2009

And every year they still trying to find a solution to the same problem(as if its a new hing), no mention of removing the cause, all they did was reduce it by removing the Quarantine Officers and a few unknown agencies from the process
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by batanda: 6:25pm On Jan 08, 2009
@ jafour

I had mine diverted to tema also, any update on when it will be picked to nigeria?
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by Jafour: 7:36am On Jan 09, 2009
b_atanda:

@ jafour

I had mine diverted to tema also, any update on when it will be picked to nigeria?

@b_atanda

I don't know yet. I called the freightforwarder and MSC yesterday, their reply is "there is still congestion in your country".

My brother-in-container-diversion, na siddon look i dey o!
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by Jafour: 7:45am On Jan 09, 2009
sultaan:

Before you start dancing , try to answer this question;
How many times have they ever tried to fix the port's corrupt system and they actually got within 3-day clearing process?
The money involved in this process is greater than any PRESIDENT can inhibit with a meager executive order/request.
Yar Adua better keep his mouth shut or he'll be showing the whole country there are those he has no authority over.
It is one thing for a President to have to repeat his order, it another for him to be ridiculed with no head rolling to show he is serious; if he knows what that is.
For Nigeria to get to the next level of economic growth, all the inhibitions to trade has to be removed, until then they are all joking.

@Sultan

I concur.
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by Jafour: 8:23am On Jan 09, 2009
While I understand that RORO is not applicable to Vehicles shipped out of Canada, In My Opinion, RORO is still the fastest form of Shipping Vehicles to Nigeria except for Extremely High Valued Vehicles which may cost a tooth to insure via RORO.

I Pray you Gain your Losses in Multiple Folds Very Soon.

Thanks

[quote][/quote]

@Inspire_m

Amen. Thank you for your inspirational opinion, I am now thinking of getting my stuff from the USA using RORO. I will email you for some form of synergy.
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by Jafour: 8:31am On Jan 09, 2009
Update.  I just called my Agent who confirmed that the ship has finally been allowed to offload.  My truck should be out in about 3 days.  About time I say, about time.
[quote][/quote]

@Tayo-D

It is 3 days now. I know you said "about time", any good news from your agent?

I have already added 60 days to the waiting period going by Rouche's good news.
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by knotty(m): 11:07am On Jan 09, 2009
The problems at the ports are humungous, to say the least.

Let them have meetings and seminars for eternity, nothing, nothing again, I dare say, will change.

The only seeming improvement we have witnessed in recent time came only from the concessionaires.

APMT (MAERSK LINE OWNERS) perhaps have done more in 3years than the Nigerian Government has done in 20years.
If only Government Agencies will have business-like mentality of these private investors, if regulatory bodies will care-less about how much they can milk hapless importers dry and think of themselves as part of the solution, if customs will be more awake to their responsibilities and IF IMPORTERS WILL CONCEAL LESS, BE MORE PRONE TO PAYING CORRECT AND ACTUAL DUTIES, only then, can we hope for a friendly operational port.

I am a clearing agent, but I do not clear cars. I deal more in Industrial goods and machinery. So, I know what I am saying.
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by Jafour: 6:52am On Jan 11, 2009
@K
knotty:

The problems at the ports are humungous, to say the least.

Let them have meetings and seminars for eternity, nothing, nothing again, I dare say, will change.

The only seeming improvement we have witnessed in recent time came only from the concessionaires.

APMT (MAERSK LINE OWNERS) perhaps have done more in 3years than the Nigerian Government has done in 20years.
If only Government Agencies will have business-like mentality of these private investors, if regulatory bodies will care-less about how much they can milk hapless importers dry and think of themselves as part of the solution, if customs will be more awake to their responsibilities and IF IMPORTERS WILL CONCEAL LESS, BE MORE PRONE TO PAYING CORRECT AND ACTUAL DUTIES, only then, can we hope for a friendly operational port.

I am a clearing agent, but I do not clear cars. I deal more in Industrial goods and machinery. So, I know what I am saying.

@Knotty
The part written by capital letters in your opinion seems to be the major cause of  congestion, now that they are about introducing e-payment for duties, do you think  that the perennial port congestion during yuletide will no longer exist after the introduction of the e-payment?
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by inspiredm(m): 9:36am On Jan 11, 2009
@Inspire_m

Amen. Thank you for your inspirational opinion, I am now thinking of getting my stuff from the USA using RORO. I will email you for some form of synergy.

From Past Experience RORO is most preferrable, No Worries My Brother I'm open to Ideas from a credible dealer like you , I'm expected to be in Ontario by March this year for some Personal stuffs and we can get to meet. Ill be expecting your mail.

Have a Wonderful Sunday. cool cool
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by jenju(m): 12:58pm On Jan 14, 2009
The authorities at the RORO terminal announced 2 days ago that all vehicles that remain at the terminal without being cleared will be transported to Badagry after Thursday 15-01-2009. Many of these cars have been occupying valuable space since November.

Thereafter, the directive states that, any car that is not custom cleared within 3 days will be moved to Badagry. This on the surface appears to be good news for cars brought to Lagos RORO. There are quite a few ships that have been within Lagos waters for weeks, but unable to berth.

I'm not sure what the plan is to solve the container ship problem.

I and many nairaland dealers have several cars on a ship that was supposed to have berthed before Xmas, this ship has now been scheduled to berth by this weekend (knock on wood).

Cheers,
J
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by isolo: 4:09pm On Jan 16, 2009
Whats the status of port congestion right now?
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by batanda: 8:35pm On Jan 22, 2009
@jafour

Do you know MSC Rhone has been grounded in tincan island since 12 Jan. Do you know about the status of the containers
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by knotty(m): 2:05pm On Jan 23, 2009
@jafour
Take this.

At the start of E-PAYMENT regime, one of the first crop of containers at Apapa port was found to have deliberately described his consignment wrongly with the intent of evading 20% duty on the goods.
Well, his containers were allowed to pass out of the port with instructions that he must come and settle the duty difference via a Debit Note issued.
The agent reported to the importer of the development and got his assurance that he will make good the payment.
THEY NEVER CAME BACK. The shipment was not Valid for Exchange.
Following from that experience, in the case of any scanned container found to have concealed or under-invoiced, duty payment must be made in full before such containers are released. And Container drivers are cashing in on this to milk importers dry with DEMURRAGE ON STANDBY.
We are all involved in making the ports congested.
All these car importers lade their containers with allsorts. In a container STC say, 4units of used motor cars, you find tear-rubber (2009) edition cars, brimming at the seams with computers, furniture, clothes, food items (as though there is no food in Nigeria).
These are some the tangential issues we too as a people must face before we start heaping all blames at the doorsteps of government. Government (most especially a lame duck like this one) cannot do it alone
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by sultaan(m): 3:00pm On Jan 23, 2009
i know my math is not good, but 20% of what as import duty?

This is what you get when you let standard 6s run a country angry

20% makes no sense unless you are trying impede something/someone.
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by knotty(m): 11:05am On Jan 24, 2009
Sultan

I have observed that quite a number of contributors on the subject have a good grasp of the matter discussed.

I did not reckon that Sultan will equally pass by.

Therefore, for your sake I will explain what 20% of Duty is.

Government collects its revenue on import on a percentage of the CIF.

C being Cost of the goods
I being cost of Insurance
F being Cost of Freight

Pure industrial Machinery, medical equipment, certain medicaments among others are 0% rated.

Basic industrial raw materials, spare parts, computers, semi-finished goods are rated at 5%.

Finished goods that are not manufactured in Nigeria have 20% Duty rate. CARS OF 1000cc BUT NOT EXCEEDING 2500cc fall in this category.

The luxury cars Carshopper, Inspired, etc import are 50% duty rated. But how many can truly pay the correct duty?

I hope my Standard 6 explanation has adequately fed your PHD ignorance.
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by sultaan(m): 6:33pm On Jan 24, 2009
Don't mind my ignorance let fix this failure at the ports.

A vessel loadedwithin 24 hour in Le Havre , France taking 13 days to unload in Nigeria is very wrong.
This http://www.customs.gov.ng/Tariff/chapters/Chapter_87.pdf wont make things go smooth when in a crisis situation.

Why not tax by 3 engine and are groups

With the 10yr age limit, gorup cars into 1999-2002, 2003-06, 2007-09

Engines size <2.0l, <3.5l, <3.5l (<1.5l=0)

Duty for first age group should be N50k, and N20k for subsequent age group(i.e N50k, N70k, N90k)

Additional charge by engine size N15k, N30k, 40k.

Standard port charge of N30k(plus all other charges)
So a new Cmary will be N90k +N30k+N30k=N150k

Easy clear open system, pay to bank , customs confirm, shipper good to go.

Reduce corruption every shipper can budget ahead of shipping.
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by Jafour: 3:28pm On Jan 26, 2009
@Inspired_m

inspired_m:

From Past Experience RORO is most preferrable, No Worries My Brother I'm open to Ideas from a credible dealer like you , I'm expected to be in Ontario by March this year for some Personal stuffs and we can get to meet. Ill be expecting your mail.

Have a Wonderful Sunday. cool cool

I sent you a mail on January 17, 2009 - no reply. Anyway, holla me when you are coming to Ontarion in March.
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by Jafour: 4:57pm On Jan 26, 2009
b_atanda:

@jafour

Do you know MSC Rhone has been grounded in tincan island since 12 Jan. Do you know about the status of the containers

@b_atanda
It is news to me that MSC Rhone has been grounded. The only good news is that the container that was diverted and discharged in Tema, Ghana since December 20, 2008 has been finally discharged on January 20, 2009 at Tin Can port. Please read the attached letter sent to shippers by MSC (attachments are not going through). The import of the letter is that  failure to clear your  container within the 15 days grace will result in demurrage of $2,157.17. The fact is that 7 days has gone out fo the 15 days grace without any hope in sight of clearing the container.

You can see the confusion when his excellency and commander-in-chief gave 60-day ultimatum to clear the congestion at the port and the shipping line giving 15 days for no fault of the shippers/consignees.

This is typical of FELA sang in his days, Confusion break bone, yepa, double wahala for deadi body and the owner of deadi bodi.
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by sultaan(m): 1:37am On Jan 27, 2009
I am pissed because I'm facing demurrage on a container too angry
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by isolo: 4:04pm On Jan 28, 2009
How is the port congestion right now. I heard RoRo cars have only 3 days to clear before being taken to a different park. Did this help the overall congestion.
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by ziontrain: 6:02pm On Jan 28, 2009
My container was cleared 2 days ago. It took 2 weeks to get it out of the port. Normally, it takes about 3 - 5 days. So, I still feel blessed to get it out.
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by igwe11(m): 6:12pm On Jan 28, 2009
@Ziontrain
Good to hear from you
Happy New year
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by ikeyman00(m): 7:40pm On Jan 28, 2009
igwe1

next time i m in abuaj, u dnt mind me choppin isi ewu? me no be car dealer, na average guy oo
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by igwe11(m): 8:28pm On Jan 28, 2009
ikeyman00:

igwe1

next time i m in abuaj, u dnt mind me choppin isi ewu? me no be car dealer, na average guy oo
LOL, Me no discriminate at all, though you gotta know how to dance suo, yahooze, konto or galala!! grin grin
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by ikeyman00(m): 9:20pm On Jan 28, 2009
ha no wahala igweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! hahha

but mind u my belle might take 3 isi ewu at 1 night! hmm no undertsand your abuja oo, everywhere we went on friday for live music just after new yrs was dry, the boncer said na new year oo, so peopel don spen money finis shikena oo
Re: The Port Congestion In Lagos! Are You Affected Too? by igwe11(m): 9:34pm On Jan 28, 2009
ikeyman00:

ha no wahala igweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! hahha

but mind u my belle might take 3 isi ewu at 1 night! hmm no undertsand your abuja oo, everywhere we went on friday for live music  just after new yrs was dry, the boncer said na new year oo, so peopel don spen money finis shikena oo
Baa wahala for 3 plates of isi ewu, me i done stop to dey eat them since kwara police has refused to  tell us when them go sentence the one wey them catch they still car to death. shocked shocked

For Friday jamboree!!
Normality don return to clubs now, enough rock n roll for all night long
. smiley smiley smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Remote Start Tokubo Toyota Highlander In Akure,ondo State / No deal / Amazing Flashy Volks Wagen Beetle Mellenium Bug For Sale tokunbo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.