Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,435 members, 7,830,192 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:36 PM

Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? (7469 Views)

Rickey Tarfa, Arraigned; Floods Court With 90 Sans / Records Of Calls Between Tarfa And Yunusa Obtained By Sahara Reporters / Gen. Tarfa (rtd): We Did Not Have Wasc When We Joined The Army (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by gunuvi(m): 10:42am On Feb 15, 2015
barcanista:
@OP Ojukwu joined as a graduate and straight to be commissioned. He never had to pass throught any NDA.

Buhari joined with SSCE or SS3 and straight to NDA. He got commissioned after graduating from NDA. This isn't different from what is obtained today. What is your point?
Ojukwu did not rise to the peak of his army career because he declared a War against the State. Which is treasonable and get him fired by Gowon administration (you may disagree though). Hence, he paused as a Colonel. Buhari remained in the Army and became Head of State, he was left in his Major General rank because the new junta retired him. He would have been a full General if he had served out his years of service.
What is your argument?
In olamide's voice...story for the gods!!
Shame!!!!

6 Likes

Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by PhockPhockMan: 10:43am On Feb 15, 2015
barcanista:
@OP Ojukwu joined as a graduate and straight to be commissioned. He never had to pass throught any NDA.

Buhari joined with SSCE or SS3 and straight to NDA. He got commissioned after graduating from NDA. This isn't different from what is obtained today. What is your point?
Ojukwu did not rise to the peak of his army career because he declared a War against the State. Which is treasonable and get him fired by Gowon administration (you may disagree though). Hence, he paused as a Colonel. Buhari remained in the Army and became Head of State, he was left in his Major General rank because the new junta retired him. He would have been a full General if he had served out his years of service.
What is your argument?
Save your long story. According to you, Buhari joined the Nigerian Army with SSCE, Why is it becoming impossible by the day to bring it so that all of us will rest.

10 Likes

Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by nwala85: 10:43am On Feb 15, 2015
PhockPhockMan:
Still reacting to General Tarfa's claim that in their time, there was no need for school certificate before entering the Nigerian Army, yet Ojukwu Joined the same army with Oxford University Degree.
..................................... ....................................
PLEASE READ.

Emeka, as he was fondly called, began his educational career in Kings College, Lagos in southwestern Nigeria. He got into trouble by participating in anti-colonial demonstrations with such seniors as Anthony Enahoro. At 13, his father sent him overseas to Great Britain to study at Epsom College, England. He left Epsom at 18 for Lincoln College, Oxford. At Oxford University, he obtained a bachelor’s degree in modern history. After graduate studies, he retuned to colonial Nigeria. This was in 1956.

http://logbaby.com/encyclopedia/the-biography-of-lat_13071.html#.VOAKDJko9zQ
................................................................. ...........
This is the same army Buhari claimed he joined with principal letter ODUMEGWU OJUKWU joined with Oxford University degree.
Is there any reason Buhari should not bring his certificate he joined army with?

Don't mind them, northern Hausa/ fulani oligarchy and mediocrity . Tell them ojukwu joined the army with a sound masters degree in modern history.

8 Likes

Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by signz: 10:46am On Feb 15, 2015
pazienza:

GEJ is the best thing that has happened to Nigeria since 1966.

No human group is inferior to the other. Enthrone and enforce merit, and watch the Northerners lift up their standards and compete favourably with everyone else,once they see that there is no other alternative means to compete.

[/b]Injustice is when an Eagle is forced to walk to accommodate the chicken that has wings like the eagle, but has gotten too fat and too lazy to fly like the Eagle[b].

GEJ represents Equity,merit, justice and fairness, these are qualities that form the foundation of every successful nation on earth, qualities Nigeria lacked pre GEJ era.

Beautiful

7 Likes

Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by PhockPhockMan: 10:49am On Feb 15, 2015
mikeansy:
OBJ said he joined the Army 4 year before Buhari and was required to show that he passed WASC at least

So why was OBJ required to provide WASC when Buhari can just make it up?
1000000000000000000 likes.

5 Likes

Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by dokyOloye: 10:49am On Feb 15, 2015
barcanista:

What is your argument?
NDA was established in 1964 wt d current defence minister Gusau as a member of d 1st set.Dont misinform people.

6 Likes

Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by PhockPhockMan: 10:51am On Feb 15, 2015
fortune29:
Ojukwu joining the army with a bachelor's degree doesnt mean anyone who joined with wasc isnt qualified. These days people join graduate trainee in organisations like shell for instance with a phd while some join with just a bsc. only the army can decide what is enough to join them
Where is the certificate na.

Buhari showyourcertificate.

6 Likes

Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by Nobody: 10:51am On Feb 15, 2015
Well, so far there isn't any proof to disclaim Buhari's SSCE. His secondary school had issued him with result statement. His record showed that the army accepted him with his SS3, before he dis the WASC. What is even the bone of contention?
PhockPhockMan:
Save your long story. According to you, Buhari joined the Nigerian Army with SSCE, Why is it becoming impossible by the day to bring it so that all of us will rest.

1 Like

Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by Nobody: 10:54am On Feb 15, 2015
dokyOloye:
NDA was established in 1964 wt d current defence minister Gusau as a member of d 1st set.Dont misinform people.
The NDA in its current nomenclature and format was formed in 1964, however the precursor to NDA has been in existence in the 50s.
Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by PhockPhockMan: 11:00am On Feb 15, 2015
dokyOloye:
Well said.
I wish this thread is against Jonathan, it would have been dancing SHOKI on front page.

Diaris God o o.

6 Likes

Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by Fash20: 11:09am On Feb 15, 2015
PAINGAIN:
This tin get as e be o. University degree vs recommendation letter. Uni degree - colonel, recommendation letter- general, chai!
ask your self did they retire the same time
Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by PhockPhockMan: 11:15am On Feb 15, 2015
barcanista:
Well, so far there isn't any proof to disclaim Buhari's SSCE. His secondary school had issued him with result statement. His record showed that the army accepted him with his SS3, before he dis the WASC. What is even the bone of contention?
But I heard he said he joined the Army with his principal's recommendation letter. Even the Army said it, why are you defending corruption just because it involved your General?

7 Likes

Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by Nobody: 11:23am On Feb 15, 2015
PhockPhockMan:
But I heard he said he joined the Army with his principal's recommendation letter. Even the Army said it, why are you defending corruption just because it involved your General?
Am I disputing the Army? I said the Army accepted him with his SS3 as evident by the recommendation letter. Buhari claimed to have did his WASC that same year. I will not defend corruption deliberately, but if the army had accepted the letter, then I see no fault of Buhari

1 Like

Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by asadike(f): 11:48am On Feb 15, 2015
Longeria:
Isn't that shameful such an elderly man is making such statement?
It's unfortunate.
don't mind him. Instead for him to tell buhari d truth he is here defending illiteracy and mediocrity.

4 Likes

Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by IGBOSON1: 11:51am On Feb 15, 2015
pazienza:

Because the recruitment exercise then was merit based, enthrone merit and the east dominates.

It was obvious why the war victors first move was to replace merit with mediocrity aka quota system/ federal character, as that was the only way they could prevent Igbo re emergence and dominance,and in so doing, they sealed the fate of Nigeria as a failed state.

Buhari and some northerners were drafted into the army, even though they didn't meet the minimum requirement,because they were the best the North could offer. So few of them were picked to give the north some representation.

The colonial Army was merit based, it shouldn't be a surprise that the North/west were poorly represented in the colonial army.

^^^This is exactly why i've given up on this country!

I believe as a person in the best (those that have put in the effort to succeed in any given field of endeavor) being given preferential treatment over others......and this is what a merit-based society is all about! I laugh when people talk of us competing with the likes of Singapore, Brazil, China and India; these countries believe in rewarding effort and excellence, and they're not like us with our bloody and retrogressive federal character and quota-system!

To be fair to the north, i can understand their need for quota-system and affirmative action in the 60s (and maybe 70s as well), as this was the only way they could ably be represented in a country that consisted of the likes of Igbos, Yorubas, and others that had a large pool of western-educated youth ready to fill all vacancies in the military and public service! But what i find so annoying, unconscionable and irritating is their desire for this retrogressive policy to continue in this day and age! They've had control of the center since the civil war to the coming of OBJ; and apart from all the many ways (both legal/open and shady/unorthodox) they benefited from said control (don't forget Igbos were being marginalized all this while), they also had these hateful policies in place during this period!

Pray tell, is there any reason why during this period (with all these advantages they had over others) they couldn't catch up with Southern Nigeria? Is there actually any time frame for when this affirmative action will come to an end, so we can then put our best 11 forward like other emerging economies are doing?.....I guess going by the outcome of the last national conference, we all know the answer to this question don't we?

If we're honest with ourselves we would admit that the period up until the Nzeogwu coup (and all that followed after) was Nigerias' golden period: a period when each region could develop at its own pace, and a time when merit and effort were much more than soundbites, but were actually tools you could use to make it to the top in any chosen field of endeavor and become a pride to your family and society! Yes....yes, i know of the Ironsi ill-adviced unification decree and all that.....but is there any reason why we're still operating this in one form or the other to this day; where the center is all-powerful and the units are weak and unviable?

This is the reason why i want: Either a proper restructuring of this country into a true federal/con-federal system of gov't; or its curtains on this failed experiment! I refuse to be held back any longer by 'one Nigeria' as is!

7 Likes

Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by Whynotthetruth(m): 12:03pm On Feb 15, 2015
barcanista:
Am I disputing the Army? I said the Army accepted him with his SS3 as evident by the recommendation letter. Buhari claimed to have did his WASC that same year. I will not defend corruption deliberately, but if the army had accepted the letter, then I see no fault of Buhari

For now, you haven't condemned this corrupt act of your saint buhari. Don't condemn it with tongue in cheek...Use the right words to condemn him and his act of corruption same way you would have given it to GEJ...

Kindly answer these questions deduced from your post, it will help you to dedicate a new thread condemning Buhari as corrupt with no integrity...

1) Do you get a job before or after submitting your certificate?

2)How right is it to secure employment and later as you said go to write the qualification examination(a prerequisite for the said employment)?

3)If the army employed him without requisite qualification, what does it say about the system then?

4)If Buhari generously benefited from a corrupt system of employment skewed in his favour back then; what is buhari? Is he corrupt or a man of integrity?

5)If the military did such despicable act of shifting goal post; so is it Jonathan now, that's responsible for the wrath therein? or is Jonathan simply a victim of grand conspiracy for daring to change the status quo especially being a "bloody civilian"

6)If Buhari scales through with this fraud; what foundation has he succeeded in laying here? corruption and mediocrity or otherwise??.

let your conscience guide you while answering...thank you...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by halimaabi: 12:24pm On Feb 15, 2015
NO THANKS TO BASTARD THIEFNUB, U AND HIS DEVIL PARTY FOR PRESENTING SUCH A SICK OLD FRUADSTAR TO NIGERIAN'S, TINUBU HAS KILLED OUR POLITICS WITH THE CHOICE OF HIS CANDIDATE , TINUBU HAS KILLED OUR ECONOMY JUST BECAUSE HE CHOOSE AN AGENT OF INSTABILITY,TINUBU OLD MAN IS GAMBLING WITH THE FUTURE OF NIGERIAN'S.

2 Likes

Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 12:41pm On Feb 15, 2015
ovadoze:

Try to understand before you qoute or @ least format you brain to remove tribalism. What is being said is that Ojukwu joined the army as a graduate and someone is claiming that WASC was not required then before joining the military, what you just posted above confirms that Buhari joined the army through the back door. If Adegboyega and co joined the army as a graduate why should Buhari join without ordinary WASC?? I hpe u understand now!!!
WASC was the minimum qualification. It was the same thing people like Nzeogwu, Nwawo, Obasanjo, Abacha, Jemibewon, Muhammad, Ya'radua, Danguma, etc entered with.
Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 12:44pm On Feb 15, 2015
pazienza:

Because the recruitment exercise then was merit based, enthrone merit and the east dominates.

It was obvious why the war victors first move was to replace merit with mediocrity aka quota system/ federal character, as that was the only way they could prevent Igbo re emergence and dominance,and in so doing, they sealed the fate of Nigeria as a failed state.

Buhari and some northerners were drafted into the army, even though they didn't meet the minimum requirement,because they were the best the North could offer. So few of them were picked to give the north some representation.

The colonial Army was merit based, it shouldn't be a surprise that the North/west were poorly represented in the colonial army.
When Buhari joined the Army in 1962/3, it was still under a British GOC, Everad.
Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by PhockPhockMan: 12:50pm On Feb 15, 2015
Whynotthetruth:

For now, you haven't condemned this corrupt act of your saint buhari. Don't condemn it with tongue in cheek...Use the right words to condemn him and his act of corruption same way you would have given it to GEJ...

Kindly answer these questions deduced from your post, it will help you to dedicate a new thread condemning Buhari as corrupt with no integrity...

2)How right is it to secure employment and later as you said go to write the qualification examination(a prerequisite for the said employment)?

3)If the army employed him without requisite qualification, what does it say about the system then?

4)If Buhari generously benefited from a corrupt system of employment skewed in his favour back then; what is buhari? Is he corrupt or a man of integrity?

5)If the military did such despicable act of shifting goal post; so is it Jonathan now, that's responsible for the wrath therein? or is Jonathan simply a victim of grand conspiracy for daring to change the status quo especially being a "bloody civilian"

6)If Buhari scales through with this fraud; what foundation has he succeeded in laying here? corruption and mediocrity or otherwise??.

With these questions, you've chased barcanista and his fellow APChickens away from this thread.
gringringringringrin
Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by pazienza(m): 12:55pm On Feb 15, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

When Buhari joined the Army in 1962/3, it was still under a British GOC, Everad.

Read my post well again. The north had to be given some form of representation, yet the colonials knew they were unqualified,and didn't try to make their numbers to equal those of the qualified easterners.

2 Likes

Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by Whynotthetruth(m): 1:00pm On Feb 15, 2015
PhockPhockMan:
With these questions, you've chased barcanista and his fellow APChickens away from this thread.
gringringringringrin

grin
PhockPhockMan:
gringringringringrin

but their hypocrisy hurts my heart real big especially from men like barcanista...do they really believe in being role models?
Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by TheOtherview: 1:02pm On Feb 15, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

WASC was the minimum qualification. It was the same thing people like Nzeogwu, Nwawo, Obasanjo, Abacha, Jemibewon, Muhammad, Ya'radua, Danguma, etc entered with.

You think they are listening?

Here is my response to another commentator, on a different thread.

cuteboy2:

[s]Thank you for confirming that English and Mathematics were "part of the criteria".[/s]

[s]But were those criteria mutually exclusive?? The obvious answer is NO!!!
[/s]
[s]The basic requirement was credit in English and Mathematics + 3 other subjects, IN ADDITION TO recommendation from a public officer, in this case his school Principal.[/s]

Wrong on all counts!

Whether you like it or not, back then, the basic educational requirement for admission to the Officer Corps was a West African School Certificate or equivalent. Now here is the clincher; maths was not a pre-requisite for the West African School Certificate (WASC) in the early '60s.

2. To pass the School Certificate, candidates had to pass examinations in a variety of groups. It was compulsory to pass English Language, but not Maths, in order to gain the Certificate.
Source:http://www.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/news/statement-in-response-to-nigerian-presidential-election-enquiries/

See image attached for further details on entry qualifications. Source: The Nigerian Military: A Sociological Analysis of Authority and Revolt 1960-67 (African Studies), Robin Luckham

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 1:04pm On Feb 15, 2015
pazienza:

Read my post well again. The north had to be given so form of representation, yet the colonials knew they were unqualified,and didn't try to make their numbers to equal those of the qualified easterners.
As at 1965/6, Ojukwu and Ifeajuna were the only easterners that joined the Army with university degrees. The rest were not more qualified than their fellow northern officers.
Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by Longeria(m): 1:05pm On Feb 15, 2015
Firefire:
The evil of quota system and born to rule mentality now in the open...

Fraudulent Generals undecided
Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by Longeria(m): 1:19pm On Feb 15, 2015
TheOtherview:

You think they are listening?

Here is my response to another commentator, on a different thread.

Wrong on all counts!

Whether you like it or not, back then, the basic educational requirement for admission to the Officer Corps was a West African School Certificate or equivalent. Now here is the clincher; maths was not a pre-requisite for the West African School Certificate (WASC) in the early '60s.

Source:http://www.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/news/statement-in-response-to-nigerian-presidential-election-enquiries/

See image attached for further details on entry qualifications. Source: The Nigerian Military: A Sociological Analysis of Authority and Revolt 1960-67 (African Studies), Robin Luckham

We don't need this your needless long epistle, where is Buhari's certificate?
Seun, obinoscopy, Ngwakwe.

1 Like

Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by PhockPhockMan: 1:25pm On Feb 15, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

As at 1965/6, Ojukwu and Ifeajuna were the only easterners that joined the Army with university degrees. The rest were not more qualified than their fellow northern officers.
Then point Easterners who entered army with his principal's recommendation letter like Buhari and co.

1 Like

Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by wirinet(m): 2:01pm On Feb 15, 2015
pazienza:

You people are pathetic. You yap nonsense just to sooth your overboated ego. East dominates the military - it was based on merit but North dominates the military after civil war - they shout quota system. Meanwhile Buhari joined the army before the civil war.

Have any of you asked the military what the minimum requirements for joining the army was in 1961? i am certain it did not include a credit in mathematics. Have he military comfirmed that Buhari and other officers did not meet the minimum qualifications for joining the army in 1961?

Where did you people get the stupid idea that Buhari was admitted into the army with only a recommendation letter from his school principal? The recommendation letter was a testimonial that was mandatory for all intending secondary students applying for admission into any tertiary institution. The actual results was to be submitted after gaining admission as the results used to come very late. This was the practice until about a decade ago when results are released one month after sitting for WAEC exams.

Another issue was that there are two types of admissions into the military. Those admitted into the regular course and those admitted into the short service course. Ojukwu underwent the short service course as he was already a graduate, while Buhari and other went through the regular course which is for school cert. students.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 2:06pm On Feb 15, 2015
PhockPhockMan:
Then point Easterners who entered army with his principal's recommendation letter like Buhari and co.
www.google.com

1 Like

Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by rozayx5(m): 2:11pm On Feb 15, 2015
PhockPhockMan:
Well said.
I wish this thread is against Jonathan, it would have been dancing SHOKI on front page.

Diaris God o o.

frontpage mods
Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by Nobody: 2:15pm On Feb 15, 2015
Firstly, I will never justify nepotism. It is flagrant corruption. Secondly, to answer your questions:

1. It is not statutory to submit credentials befor getting a job. Except the internal policies of the company says so.
2. He was admitted into NDA and not employment yet. The NDA was a prerequisite to employment. If the Army as at then believe that he should be admitted into NDA as an SS3, of what fault is Buhari?
3. If SS3 was fall short of prerequisite, wasn't that why did he attanded Sandhurst? Was it in tandem with the Army policy? If no then it is curruption. But if yes?
4. That isn't logical
5. And 6. Are irrelivant.

Thanks
Whynotthetruth:

Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by PhockPhockMan: 2:18pm On Feb 15, 2015
Whynotthetruth:

grin

but their hypocrisy hurts my heart real big especially from men like barcanista...do they really believe in being role models?
The way they're going, if Satan join APC today, they will defend him with their last blood.
So unfortunate.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tam David-West 80th Birthday: Buhari Felicitates With Him / Frozen Accounts: Fayose Knows Fate Dec 2 / Timi Frank Urges EFCC Chair, Bawa Not To Disappoint Youths

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.