Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,454 members, 7,830,252 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:41 PM

Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? (7471 Views)

Rickey Tarfa, Arraigned; Floods Court With 90 Sans / Records Of Calls Between Tarfa And Yunusa Obtained By Sahara Reporters / Gen. Tarfa (rtd): We Did Not Have Wasc When We Joined The Army (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by Nobody: 2:23pm On Feb 15, 2015
Like I said, I will not defend corruption
Whynotthetruth:

grin

but their hypocrisy hurts my heart real big especially from men like barcanista...do they really believe in being role models?

1 Like

Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by smarthG(f): 2:39pm On Feb 15, 2015
neocortex:
Birds of a feather!
Gen. Tarfa was saving his own face by claiming that they had no WASC.
Can he please tell us the requirement to join the army then ?
Bunch of semi-literate quota "generals"

Front page please

This is the same reason Boko Haram is progressing in the North. Northerners don't believe in schooling but they feel they are born to rule the. Without a professional Intelligence, it is impossible to conquer BH.
There are crdible pipul 2b there not buhari.

Obasanjo new the relivance of education and decided 2further, couldont General do d same?

1 Like

Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by eaglechild: 2:44pm On Feb 15, 2015
pazienza:

Because the recruitment exercise then was merit based, enthrone merit and the east dominates.

It was obvious why the war victors first move was to replace merit with mediocrity aka quota system/ federal character, as that was the only way they could prevent Igbo re emergence and dominance,and in so doing, they sealed the fate of Nigeria as a failed state.

Buhari and some northerners were drafted into the army, even though they didn't meet the minimum requirement,because they were the best the North could offer. So few of them were picked to give the north some representation.

The colonial Army was merit based, it shouldn't be a surprise that the North/west were poorly represented in the colonial army.
Epic.
Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by TheOtherview: 2:46pm On Feb 15, 2015
[s]
PhockPhockMan:
Still reacting to General Tarfa's claim that in their time, there was no need for school certificate before entering the Nigerian Army, yet Ojukwu Joined the same army with Oxford University Degree.
..................................... ....................................
PLEASE READ.

Emeka, as he was fondly called, began his educational career in Kings College, Lagos in southwestern Nigeria. He got into trouble by participating in anti-colonial demonstrations with such seniors as Anthony Enahoro. At 13, his father sent him overseas to Great Britain to study at Epsom College, England. He left Epsom at 18 for Lincoln College, Oxford. At Oxford University, he obtained a bachelor’s degree in modern history. After graduate studies, he retuned to colonial Nigeria. This was in 1956.

http://logbaby.com/encyclopedia/the-biography-of-lat_13071.html#.VOAKDJko9zQ
................................................................. ...........
This is the same army Buhari claimed he joined with principal letter ODUMEGWU OJUKWU joined with Oxford University degree.
Is there any reason Buhari should not bring his certificate he joined army with?
[/s]

Bone-headed lies designed to satisfy the cravings of ethnic jingoists.

For good or bad, the following is what General Tarfa actually said.

It’s absurd to say Buhari has no certificate – Gen. Tarfa

Published on Saturday, 14 February 2015

An elder statesman and former Commandant of the Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) retired General Paul C. Tarfa said yesterday that it is insulting for anybody to say the All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential candidate retired General Muhammadu Buhari has no school-leaving certificates. He explained that apart from their school certificates, as military cadets in the 1960s, they were made to sit for other examinations before joining.

Reacting to the Military Secretary’s claims that it didn’t have Buhari’s records, General Tarfa said “It is very stupid to say that.

Buhari and I went to the United Kingdom for training. We joined the military at 18, 19 years of age. When someone went through all the trainings abroad and passed through all the military examinations in all cadres and so on, and just one cranky idiot will say you don’t have school certificate. That is absurd.” He explained that “Buhari’s principal was my principal. From their school, their principal Mr. West was sent to our school.”

General Tarfa spoke to Weekly Trust during a meeting of some Christian leaders, under the auspices of Northern Christian Leaders Eagle-Eye Forum with Buhari, held at the International Conference Centre, Abuja.

Source: http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/weekly/index.php/new-news/19039-it-s-absurd-to-say-buhari-has-no-certificate-gen-tarfa

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by TheOtherview: 2:47pm On Feb 15, 2015
A more elaborate article on the same subject.

Buhari once ordered me to dismiss 48 errant cadets in NDA, 32 of them Muslims – Gen. Paul Tarfa

Former Commandant of the Nigeria Defence Academy (NDA), General Paul Tarfa has said that the Presidential candidate of the All Progressives Congress, Gen. Muhammadu Buhari, has never been a religious bigot, but a man committed to discipline.

He added that it is foolish for anyone to say that Buhari does not have school certificate.

Tarfa said in Abuja that most Nigerians who joined the army during the Nigerianisation of the Nigerian Army in the 1960s obtained their school certificates after becoming officers.

“I had the same Principal with General Buhari in person of Mr. West,” he said

Tarfa, who has lived a quiet life since he retired from the army, said: “I stand up here to say a few words about General Buhari because I am one of those who know him most.

“We met in 1963 as cadets and we shared one thing- discipline, punctuality and purposefulness.

“Like him, I heard erroneously that I am a fanatical Christian. I don’t know if I am, but I am a Christian to the letter.

“I remember that Buhari used to say that following the tenets of Islam does not make one a fanatic.

“If I read my bible before I sleep, does it make me a fanatical Christian?

“In addition to what has been said, I want to say that in 1984 when he was the head of state, I was posted to the Nigerian Army Ordinance Corps in Lagos from the Command and Staff College in Jaji. The Nigeria Defence Academy was on its way to becoming a degree awarding institution. I was in Lagos for only three months and there was a reshufflement and I was asked to go back to Kaduna.

“I reported to him that I had just come here and so, let me stay here. He said no, in the first place, your posting to the Ordinance Corps is wrong. I want you to go to the Defence Academy because I want our future officers to take after your character. So, I took my wife and family and returned to Kaduna.

[b]“On my first week in the academy, I blew what we called the tattoo. Tattoo means blowing horn at 12 midnight or after to make sure you catch those who are not in their dormitory.

“Before then, Gen. Buhari had heard that our cadets were sleeping in surrounding villages. Some were going to Zaria to come back early in the morning, looking sleepy and not concentrating.

“When we blew the tattoo, everybody had to come out, even if you were sick and you had to be carried to the parade ground. When we counted, there were about 48 cadets absent that night. They were in the villages with prostitutes.

“I was with Prof. Ukpabi, who was then the Academy Provost. I said the number was too much for me to dismiss even though they were supposed to be dismissed.

“Out of the 48 errant cadets, about 32 were from the North, and out of these 32, the majority were from the far North. In other words, they were Muslim cadets.

“I flew to Lagos and met General Buhari and told him, ‘this is what you said we should do, bug look at the number.’

“Even though majority of them were Muslims, he said,’ dismiss them all.’ I told him that the number was too much and that if I did that, our Muslim brothers in Kaduna would kill me. He said, ‘They won’t. If these people become officers, they will not be good for us. There was no such thing as this during our time. We will not have half-baked officers, whether they are Christians or Muslims. If they are not good, it does not matter. So, dismiss them all.’[/b]

“When I came back, Prof, Ukpabi and I decided to dismiss the very bad ones and keep the good ones. That was how we restored discipline in the academy.

“What I am trying to say is this. where is the fanaticism here. He didn’t say because they were Muslims, we should leave them.

“This has been the character of General Buhari. If it is right, it is right.

“I am not trying to praise him, but to bring out the qualities in this man. A vote for General Buhari is a vote for change.
“People are thinking whether it is a do or die. To him, it is Nigeria first and not Buhari first. So, I believe a vote for Buhari is a vote for change; change for good.”

On Buhari’s educational qualification, he said: “Buhari’s principal was my principal. From their school, the principal, Mr. West was sent to our school.

“In those days when Nigeria was Nigerianising its military, many of the officers that you see today did not even have their school certificates until long after.

“When we were invited to go to Kaduna, we were given qualifying examination in English, Mathematics and General Knowledge, even before we took the school certificate exam. Some did not even wait to take their school certificates because vacancies were already waiting for them.

“It was after that qualifying exam that we were recruited into the army. By the time some had their school certificates, they had become officers.

“For example, Gen. Babangida never saw his school certificate until when he was head of state. I got my school certificate long after I became an officer.

“But there was officer cadet qualifying examination. About 240 of us sat for that exam in Kaduna”.

Source: http://thenationonlineng.net/new/buhari-ordered-dismiss-48-errant-cadets-nda-32-muslims-gen-paul-tarfa/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by TheOtherview: 2:50pm On Feb 15, 2015
Longeria:
We don't need this your needless long epistle, where is Buhari's certificate?
Seun, obinoscopy, Ngwakwe.

What is the point in engaging someone who basks in unadulterated stupiddddity in a debate?
You think I want to lower my IQ?
Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by PhockPhockMan: 2:58pm On Feb 15, 2015
rozayx5:

frontpage mods
Dem go gree?
Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by PhockPhockMan: 3:08pm On Feb 15, 2015
TheOtherview:
[s][/s]

Bone-headed lies designed to satisfy the cravings of ethnic jingoists.

For good or bad, the following is what General Tarfa actually said.

Source: http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/weekly/index.php/new-news/19039-it-s-absurd-to-say-buhari-has-no-certificate-gen-tarfa
Why did you bring the edited version from from dailytrust?
..............................................................................….

BUHARI'S principal was my principal. From their school (Katsina Provincial School), the principal, Mr. West was sent to our school.

In those days when Nigeria was Nigerianising its military, many of the officers that you are seeing today did not even have their school certificates until long after.

When we were invited to go to Kaduna, we were given qualifying examination in English, Mathematics and General Knowledge, even before we took the school certificate exam.

Some did not even wait to take their school certificates because vacancies were already waiting for them.

It was after that qualifying exam that we were recruited into the army. By the time some had their school certificates, they had become officers.

For example, Gen. Babangida never saw his school certificate until when he was head of state. I got my school certificate long after I became an officer.

But there was officer cadet qualifying examination. About 240 of us sat for that exam in Kaduna.
Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by PhockPhockMan: 3:17pm On Feb 15, 2015
Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by TheOtherview: 3:22pm On Feb 15, 2015
[s]
PhockPhockMan:

Why did you bring the edited version from from dailytrust?
..............................................................................….

BUHARI'S principal was my principal. From their school (Katsina Provincial School), the principal, Mr. West was sent to our school.

In those days when Nigeria was Nigerianising its military, many of the officers that you are seeing today did not even have their school certificates until long after.

When we were invited to go to Kaduna, we were given qualifying examination in English, Mathematics and General Knowledge, even before we took the school certificate exam.

Some did not even wait to take their school certificates because vacancies were already waiting for them.

It was after that qualifying exam that we were recruited into the army. By the time some had their school certificates, they had become officers.

For example, Gen. Babangida never saw his school certificate until when he was head of state. I got my school certificate long after I became an officer.

But there was officer cadet qualifying examination. About 240 of us sat for that exam in Kaduna.
[/s]

Where does your asinine musings originate from?

Why not do the honrourable thing and provide a link we can all reference? tongue

You think we are all fools to lap up your disjointed and entirely misplaced rants on these boards?
Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by Nobody: 3:31pm On Feb 15, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

WASC was the minimum qualification. It was the same thing people like Nzeogwu, Nwawo, Obasanjo, Abacha, Jemibewon, Muhammad, Ya'radua, Danguma, etc entered with.
But Buhari is yet to provide his WASC, until he provides it, it's quota system or backdoor!!
Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by Horllamideh(m): 3:56pm On Feb 15, 2015
If you are questioning the qualification use for recruiting soldiers into the millitary in the 1960's,it means you guys will be curious to know how Ojukwu recruited soldiers into the Biafran army during the civil war as lot and lot of Igbo youths are coerced into joining the army.A time came when they are in short of foot soldiers and are even thinking of forcing old men into joining the force.Before a good WASC is enough to land one a good teaching job but not anymore....A sign of progress in Nigeria...And there is also cases of minimum requirement.The fact that you scored A's in the 5 core subjects doesn't mean that you and me with my 3Bs and 2Cs can't land the same course in the university
Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by PhockPhockMan: 4:37pm On Feb 15, 2015
Horllamideh:
If you are questioning the qualification use for recruiting soldiers into the millitary in the 1960's,it means you guys will be curious to know how Ojukwu recruited soldiers into the Biafran army during the civil war as lot and lot of Igbo youths are coerced into joining the army.A time came when they are in short of foot soldiers and are even thinking of forcing old men into joining the force.Before a good WASC is enough to land one a good teaching job but not anymore....A sign of progress in Nigeria...And there is also cases of minimum requirement.The fact that you scored A's in the 5 core subjects doesn't mean that you and me with my 3Bs and 2Cs can't land the same course in the university
You can do more than this.
Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by Horllamideh(m): 4:41pm On Feb 15, 2015
PhockPhockMan:
You can do more than this.
Hell yeah
Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by Whynotthetruth(m): 5:40pm On Feb 15, 2015
barcanista:
Firstly, I will never justify nepotism. It is flagrant corruption. Secondly, to answer your questions:

1. It is not statutory to submit credentials befor getting a job. Except the internal policies of the company says so.
2. He was admitted into NDA and not employment yet. The NDA was a prerequisite to employment. If the Army as at then believe that he should be admitted into NDA as an SS3, of what fault is Buhari?
3. If SS3 was fall short of prerequisite, wasn't that why did he attanded Sandhurst? Was it in tandem with the Army policy? If no then it is curruption. But if yes?
4. That isn't logical
5. And 6. Are irrelivant.

Thanks

Sure, they will be illogical and irrelevant to you since it contradicts your faith...

Let's even take it that it is not yet employment but just NDA; what is it the prerequisite for entering NDA (Nigerian military training college then)?

If Buhari benefited from fraud; is he not a fraudster too? who is an accomplice to you?

If buhari scales through with this fraud; what does it say about Nigerian system and morals? Is it good for our value growth system? is he laying a veritable foundation??

If you don't support this despicable act; why can't you write it explicitly; "BUHARI CHEATED, LIED UNDER OATH HENCE HE IS CORRUPT AND HAS NO INTEGRITY" as you do would do against Jonathan if he were the one...

Don't tell me that you condemn it and doesn't support the same without writing it clearly and explicitly... thanks
Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by PhockPhockMan: 7:25pm On Feb 15, 2015
Whynotthetruth:

Sure, they will be illogical and irrelevant to you since it contradicts your faith...

Let's even take it that it is not yet employment but just NDA; what is it the prerequisite for entering NDA (Nigerian military training college then)?

If Buhari benefited from fraud; is he not a fraudster too? who is an accomplice to you?

If buhari scales through with this fraud; what does it say about Nigerian system and morals? Is it good for our value growth system? is he laying a veritable foundation??

If you don't support this despicable act; why can't you write it explicitly; "BUHARI CHEATED, LIED UNDER OATH HENCE HE IS CORRUPT AND HAS NO INTEGRITY" as you do would do against Jonathan if he were the one...

Don't tell me that you condemn it and doesn't support the same without writing it clearly and explicitly... thanks
Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by pazienza(m): 8:14pm On Feb 15, 2015
wirinet:

You people are pathetic. You yap nonsense just to sooth your overboated ego. East dominates the military - it was based on merit but North dominates the military after civil war - they shout quota system. Meanwhile Buhari joined the army before the civil war.

Have any of you asked the military what the minimum requirements for joining the army was in 1961? i am certain it did not include a credit in mathematics. Have he military comfirmed that Buhari and other officers did not meet the minimum qualifications for joining the army in 1961?

Where did you people get the stupid idea that Buhari was admitted into the army with only a recommendation letter from his school principal? The recommendation letter was a testimonial that was mandatory for all intending secondary students applying for admission into any tertiary institution. The actual results was to be submitted after gaining admission as the results used to come very late. This was the practice until about a decade ago when results are released one month after sitting for WAEC exams.

Another issue was that there are two types of admissions into the military. Those admitted into the regular course and those admitted into the short service course. Ojukwu underwent the short service course as he was already a graduate, while Buhari and other went through the regular course which is for school cert. students.

Buhari's cert is still entangled in controversy, moreover that wasn't my argument. My argument was that the Easterners had more people who met the minimum requirement by the colonials for recruitment into the high posts in the army, hence why they had more people in the army since the colonials were not going to reduce their entry standard.

1 Like

Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by pazienza(m): 8:24pm On Feb 15, 2015
And yes, the north's dominance of the army post civil war was not out of merit, as the north remained educationally backward till today,as can be seen by low jamb application stats of the north and the northern states ridiculous low score cut off marks for enrolement into the Nigerian unity schools that was recently upturned by GEJ govt when Agbakoba took up the case.

The East lead in the army pre civil war era were merit based, and stating that is not ego massage, but merely pointing out facts, and not even a Yoruba man's inferiority complex and reflex defense of his northern masters would stop Easterners from stating the facts.

1 Like

Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by tpiah99: 8:47pm On Feb 15, 2015
pazienza:

Because the recruitment exercise then was merit based, enthrone merit and the east dominates.

It was obvious why the war victors first move was to replace merit with mediocrity aka quota system/ federal character, as that was the only way they could prevent Igbo re emergence and dominance,and in so doing, they sealed the fate of Nigeria as a failed state.

Buhari and some northerners were drafted into the army, even though they didn't meet the minimum requirement,because they were the best the North could offer. So few of them were picked to give the north some representation.

The colonial Army was merit based, it shouldn't be a surprise that the North/west were poorly represented in the colonial army.

Yes, its merit.
Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by wordcat(m): 9:41pm On Feb 15, 2015
pazienza:

Injustice is when an Eagle is forced to walk to accommodate the chicken that has wings like the eagle, but has gotten too fat and too lazy to fly like the Eagle.

Udo diri gi ezigbo mmadu.
Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by Nobody: 10:44pm On Feb 15, 2015
Vicotex:
If someone is told to deny Christ or acknowledge
another religion or god under the threat of death, is
it sinful to give in out of fear? I know modern culture
doesn’t demand this kind of heroic virtue, but in
Revelation 2:10, Jesus says, “Be faithful unto
death." Is it sinful to deny Christ under threat of death?

Read John 15: 20

Read 1 Peter 3:14-17

Read Philippians 1:29 - its very simple, if u deny Christ he too will deny u, even Christ at the point of death did not deny to be the son of God.

Read Daniel 3:15-18. Sha'drach, Me'shach and Abedenigo even at the point of been thrown into the furnace by king Nebuchadnezzar still maintained their loyalty to God.

Read Acts 5:29- we must obey God at every point in time rather than men even if it will cost us our lives.

These are worthy examples for every true christian to emulate.
Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by PhockPhockMan: 3:27pm On Feb 16, 2015
byrron:

Read John 15: 20

Read 1 Peter 3:14-17

Read Philippians 1:29 - its very simple, if u deny Christ he too will deny u, even Christ at the point of death did not deny to be the son of God.

Read Daniel 3:15-18. Sha'drach, Me'shach and Abedenigo even at the point of been thrown into the furnace by king Nebuchadnezzar still maintained their loyalty to God.

Read Acts 5:29- we must obey God at every point in time rather than men even if it will cost us our lives.

These are worthy examples for every true christian to emulate.
This should be in religion section.
Re: Gen Tarfa ; Is It The Same Nigeria Army Ojukwu Joined with Oxford Degree? by Nobody: 5:13pm On Feb 16, 2015
PhockPhockMan:
This should be in religion section.

i only responded to a question by a NL and the topic was on the front page.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Gov. Ugwuanyi Gives N19.6 Million To Widows Of Fallen Heroes To Start Businesses / How to Activate Ikeja Electric Prepaid Meter / Why Do Our Military Service Chiefs Hold Walking Sticks?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.