Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,938 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:25 PM

Chess Basics For Beginners - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Chess Basics For Beginners (24947 Views)

How Can I Improve On My Skills In Playing CHESS? / Play Chess For The Orphans On A Giant Chess Mat / Play Chess And Make Good Money At Friends Of Chess Competition ( March 24-28) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 12:13pm On Feb 17, 2015
hello people smiley

This thread is for those people who are interested in learning the game of chess.

I'm not an expert though just want to help those who always wanted to learn but don't have time or the opportunity to.

so grab your pens and books. let the lesson begin cheesy

With me here are also great players in case i blunder grin and who can also contribute to the thread

cc
tushbobo
jayriginal
toyindipo
chessguru
saintneo
haywhy28
switch47
prof800
kolooyinbo
lucario007

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by Nobody: 12:23pm On Feb 17, 2015
#Following... I've always wanted to learn to play... Maybe I can learn now...

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 12:23pm On Feb 17, 2015

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 12:46pm On Feb 17, 2015
Going to teach you all the simple basics of chess. if you get the basics and the simple rules of chess. you can start to call yourself a chess player. smiley

first of all.

Our first lesson: What is chess all about and where did it originate from?

Chess has been with us for centuries, through
countless cultures and historic moments. A look
at the game's development throughout history
opens a fascinating window on cultural evolution,
transporting our minds to distant lands and eras.
The exact origin of chess is a great
mystery. There are few ancient texts
referring to the very beginning of chess, and
fewer chess pieces left as physical evidence
of the game's early existence. But myths,
theories and opinions abound! Most
historians believe it started in India, Persia,
or China.

ancientchess.com/page/01.htm

The game of chess is over 1300 years old
and is one of the most popular games in
the world. It has received more total
thought time than many great works of
art and literature. Like a great work of
art, chess is a paradox on many levels.
It's easy to learn but can take a lifetime
to master. There are few games which
can match its usefulness as a tool for
developing mental abilities, yet it's
downright fun.
www.intuitor.com/chess/

Chess is a two-person board game which
simulates a battle between two opposing
armies. The board has sixty-four squares
of alternating colors. 8 rows and 8 columns, rows
lettered A-H and columns numbered 1-8. As you
can see in the picture below.

The Goal of Chess
Chess is a game played between two opponents
on opposite sides of a board containing 64
squares of alternating colors. 8 rows and 8 columns, rows lettered A-H and columns numbered 1-8. As you
can see in the picture below.
Each player has 16
pieces: 1 king, 1 queen, 2 rooks, 2 bishops, 2
knights, and 8 pawns. The goal of the game is to
checkmate the other king. Checkmate happens
when the king is in a position to be captured (in
check) and cannot escape from capture.

2 Likes

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 12:52pm On Feb 17, 2015
promsman12:
#Following... I've always wanted to learn to play... Maybe I can learn now...
Thanks

Welcome! Yes you can smiley

you are free to ask questions in case you feel lost.
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 12:58pm On Feb 17, 2015

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by saintneo(m): 1:23pm On Feb 17, 2015
great work joywendy

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by Nobody: 1:40pm On Feb 17, 2015
Cool...

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 2:22pm On Feb 17, 2015
lesson 2: Learning about the arrangement of the pieces

Like i said each player has 16 pieces. Both the white and Black. 8x8 board with rows and columns.

In chess we don't call it rows and columns but RANK and FILES. RANKS for Rows and FILES for Columns but as beginners it is okay to use rows and column smiley and in chess the white pieces always start first.

So to the arrangement, now the white and black
pieces are always placed at the 2 last rows on
the opposite side of the boards.

The white pieces are always placed on the 1st and 2nd rows while
the black pieces are always placed on 7th and
8th row.

For all those aba made boards grin without letters
or numbers use this simple trick: check where
your right hand is, if the last square at the end of
where your right hand is placed is a white square
then you know that's where your white pieces are
to be placed and if it's black you know that's
where your black pieces are supposed to be. The placing of the pieces are very important especially when you want to record your game.

Now to the arrangement of each of the pieces.

all 8 pawns are placed in the 2nd
row and 7th row respectively.

Then our rooks are placed at the rear ends behind
the pawns. i.e the A and H columns rook also
known as the castle.

our wonderful knights looks like a horse follows
i.e the B and G columns

Then the bishops the great advisers, always stand
close to the king and queen. i.e C and F columns.

Note that the bishops can't be on the same colours of squares. one must be on a dark square
and the other on a light square. why? it would be explained later

The beautiful Queens, you know we ladies
sometimes like to match our clothes no exception
to the queen. grin

'The shoes matches the dress' is a saying used
to remember the spot the queen should stand.
The white queen stays on a white or light square
while the black queen stays on a black or dark
square. i.e the D column

The king, the oga of them all obviously stays next
to his lovely madam the queen. i.e the E column.

the picture below shows the arrangements

standard tournament chess board 2nd pic

4 Likes

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by prof800(m): 2:55pm On Feb 17, 2015
***grabs seat in front row***

Great work joywendy!

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 3:25pm On Feb 17, 2015
Thanks saintneo smiley

Thanks prof800, been a while smiley

promsman12 glad you are enjoying it. Do you know anyone who plays chess or do u have a board?
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by MacCoka: 3:57pm On Feb 17, 2015
Seriously following the thread...nice work @Joy...

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by CoCoLav(f): 4:02pm On Feb 17, 2015
Am I late cheesy
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by luxanne(f): 4:39pm On Feb 17, 2015
Following cheesy

Prof800 shocked angry

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 5:00pm On Feb 17, 2015
welcome luxanne smiley

MacCoka thanks and welcome smiley

no you aren't late at all cocolav, in fact just in time for the other lesson cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 6:53pm On Feb 17, 2015
lesson 3: characteristics and movement of the pieces

okay we know our arrangement now. So time to deal with the pieces, would be talking about them one after the other.
Every piece has a value and each of the values are as follows.
pawn= 1 point
bishop= 3 points
knights = 3 points
( they are both the same, pls don't ask why)
rooks = 5 points
Queen= 9 points (she is equivalent to 9 pawns imagine shocked)
king = no point ( the king never leaves the board if you are able to get the king i.e checkmate then the game is over)

Before i continue, i was expecting someone to ask, why 2 of everything? and eight pawns?

for those who like to wonder like moi grin

simple: ask yourself have you ever seen a king or queen without soldiers? without an adviser? without a knight?

This answers the question the king has his own and the queen has her own. 4 pawns to the king and 4 to queen. 1 bishop,1 Knight and 1 rook to the two royalties. The rook also known as castle stands like some kind of fence or gate to the kingdom (yes the chess kingdom cheesy)

so we have the king and queen side of the board

From Column E to H is known as the KING SIDE
From column D to A is known as the QUEEN SIDE

Now we go to The pieces.

1. THE PAWN

This is known as one of the weakest pieces, as it is just worth 1point, though weak it is still a very special piece. it is actually very easy to recognize as it is the smallest piece on board and also recognized with it's bald head grin

His movement is quite weird and different from the other pieces.

At the starting position the pawn can either move one or two squares forward, after this the pawn just keeps going straight but one square at a time. It is also the only piece on board that can't move back (forward ever backward never) just keeping pushing the bald guy one square at a time.

Also when it comes to capturing a piece, this same 'weak' piece doesn't capture the way it moves instead it captures sideways i.e a square diagonal.
Though there is also another way to capture with the pawn called the EN PASSANT. But it will be covered later not now

so if a pieces comes in front of your pawn forget it peeps your pawn can't take the piece and therefore it is stuck except an unfortunate piece comes sideways to the pawn and then your pawn captures and then he can then continue his Israelite journey forward on another column of course grin

Finally (phew!) the special part of this pawn is that when a pawn gets to the last square on the column it is on, it automatically changes to any piece you want it to be. either the rook,bishop, knight or queen except the king and a pawn ( i know what you are thinking queen of course cheesy). This special ability is known as PROMOTION.
So it is very possible to have more than 2 queens or 3 rooks etc on board. most people usually safeguard their pawns towards the end of the game hoping that the destiny of that pawn will change to something more powerful.

2 Likes

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by CoCoLav(f): 7:19pm On Feb 17, 2015
My pawns always get killed before I can take them to the other side for promotion. angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by Nobody: 7:36pm On Feb 17, 2015
joywendy:
Thanks saintneo smiley
promsman12 glad you are enjoying it. Do you know anyone who plays chess or do u have a board?

Following all the way... I have friends who play, buh was not too interested when they wanted to teach me...

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by luxanne(f): 7:45pm On Feb 17, 2015
Ranks and files instead of rows and columns.

The castles are also referred to as rooks (didn't know this, just knew castle) so why the name changed teacher and which came first?

So these pawns are bald headed like monks? Chai! Wicked! grin

"the special part of this pawn is that when a pawn gets to the last square on the column it is on, it automatically changes to any piece you want it to be. either the rook,bishop, knight or queen except the king and a pawn ( i know what you are thinking queen of course ). This special ability is known as PROMOTION.
So it is very possible to have more than 2 queens or 3 rooks etc on board. most people usually safeguard their pawns towards the end of the game hoping that the destiny of that pawn will change to something more powerful.

I love this part of the pawn - Promotion esp when your Queen has been eaten cheesy But what do you mean by saying its possible to have 2 queens or 3 rooks etc on board?

Which officials would you say is very important in this game and why?

Finally, in calculating the points, how is the points gotten?

*taking notes* cheesy

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by luxanne(f): 7:53pm On Feb 17, 2015
CoCoLav:
My pawns always get killed before I can take them to the other side for promotion. angry

Don't you do same to your opponents too? tongue grin
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 8:08pm On Feb 17, 2015
luxanne:
Ranks and files instead of rows and columns.
yes smiley

The castles are also referred to as rooks (didn't know this, just knew castle) so why the name changed teacher?

So these pawns are bald headed like monks? Chai! Wicked! grin

They are the same thing, no name change. In some parts of the world it referred to as CASTLE. But it's official name is ROOK

LOL! LIKE MONKS grin

"the special part of this pawn is that when a pawn gets to the last square on the column it is on, it automatically changes to any piece you want it to be. either the rook,bishop, knight or queen except the king and a pawn ( i know what you are thinking queen of course ). This special ability is known as PROMOTION.

I love this part of the pawn - Promotion esp when your Queen has been eaten cheesy But what do you mean by saying its possible to have 2 queens or 3 rooks etc on board?
I mean that if you already have a queen on board and your pawn is about to be promoted, it is possible for you to ask for another queen. Therefore having two queens on board same thing for the other pieces.

Which officials would you say is very important in this game and why?

This is quite easy, the most important piece on board is the KING. Why? without the king the game is useless, the main goal of chess is to checkmate the king. i.e attack the king in a way that the king can't move to any square. All the officials on board are all fighting for the safety of the king.

Finally, in calculating the points, how is the points gotten?
sorry i don't really get this question, do you mean how the points were determined? or how to calculate them or what they are used for?
can you expatiate a bit. Thanks smiley

*taking notes* cheesy

wink

*EDITED*
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 8:13pm On Feb 17, 2015
promsman12:

Following all the way... I have friends who play, buh was not too interested when they wanted to teach me...

oh i see...

No problem then
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 8:15pm On Feb 17, 2015
CoCoLav:

grin grin

it wont happen again don't worry smiley
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by CoCoLav(f): 8:19pm On Feb 17, 2015
luxanne:

Don't you do same to your opponents too? tongue grin

Well...yeah but not all the time.
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by luxanne(f): 9:38pm On Feb 17, 2015
joywendy:

yes smiley

They are the same thing, no name change. In some parts of the world it referred to as CASTLE. But it's official name is ROOK

LOL! LIKE MONKS grin

This is quite easy, the most important piece on board is the KING. Why? without the king the game is useless, the main goal of chess is to checkmate the king. i.e attack the king in a way that the king can't move to any square. All the officials on board are all fighting for the safety of the king.

Yes ma'am cheesy

I mean that if you already have a queen on board and your pawn is about to be promoted, it is possible for you to ask for another queen. Therefore having two queens on board same thing for the other pieces.

Two queens on board, cool cheesy so you saying asides the 16 pieces (8 pawns, 1 king, 1 queen, 2 bishops, 2 knights and 2 rooks) used in play, we still have extra piece to be used for promotions? If yes? How many pieces in total does a chess game have?

sorry i don't really get this question, do you mean how the points were determined? or how to calculate them or what they are used for?

can you expatiate a bit. Thanks smiley

wink

*EDITED*

Record taking I meant, just like calculating scores in a scrabble game, I believe the chess game also has her own way of getting and entering scores right?
Given each of this piece has their points just like the lecture teaches
"(Every piece has a value and each of the values are as follows.
pawn= 1 point
bishop= 3 points
knights = 3 points
rooks = 5 points
Queen= 9 points (she is equivalent to 9 pawns imagine )
king = no point ( the king never leaves the board if you are able to get the king i.e checkmate then the game is over)"

How are these points derived and entered during play and recording? Or better yet, what's the essence of these points attributed to each piece?
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by luxanne(f): 9:52pm On Feb 17, 2015
CoCoLav:

Well...yeah but not all the time.

smiley smiley
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by prof800(m): 11:12pm On Feb 17, 2015
joywendy:

My sister, how na?
How have you been?
I love this thread. It is a great adjunct to our Official Chess Thread

Keep up the good work. wink

And who has chessguru's personal contact?

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by prof800(m): 12:30am On Feb 18, 2015
luxanne:
Following cheesy

Prof800 shocked angry

cry

mama, I'm here. I'm glad you're here too. But I'm worried you don't love me anymore. cry cry cry cry
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by prof800(m): 1:30am On Feb 18, 2015
luxanne:

Yes ma'am cheesy

Two queens on board, cool cheesy so you saying asides the 16 pieces (8 pawns, 1 king, 1 queen, 2 bishops, 2 knights and 2 rooks) used in play, we still have extra piece to be used for promotions? If yes? How many pieces in total does a chess game have?

Record taking I meant, just like calculating scores in a scrabble game, I believe the chess game also has her own way of getting and entering scores right?
pawn= 1 point
bishop= 3 points
knights = 3 points
rooks = 5 points
king = no point ( the king never leaves the board if you are able to get the king i.e checkmate then the game is over)"

How are these points derived and entered during play and recording? Or better yet, what's the essence of these points attributed to each piece?

There are 32 pieces, 16 for each player just like you said. But there are no extra pieces. Any of the 8 pawns can crown up and be promoted.
If the Queen has been captured, you can use a promoted pawn to get it back.
If it has not been captured when your pawn crowns, then you can get a second queen by using any other piece to represent a second Queen, including that same pawn itself.
There are no extra pieces used for promotions. We make do with the 16 pairs.

And as far as I know, it is theoretically impossible to get a pawn promoted without losing a piece in any sane game.

Also, I don't know much about recording points but I think it is mainly relevant in formal competitions. (blitz etc).
Basically, if you capture my pawn, you have 1 point. If I then capture your own pawn, I also have 1 point.
If you then capture my knight you have 3 points. If I don't capture any of your pieces till the game ends (time-up), then you get to win since you have accumulated 4 points and I have just 1 sad .

That is the little I know. joywendy may give a clearer explanation when she comes.
wink

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 4:53am On Feb 18, 2015
luxanne:

Yes ma'am cheesy

pawn= 1 point
bishop= 3 points
knights = 3 points
rooks = 5 points

Yes my dear friend has practically said it all.

No more pieces added in the game, just the 16 pieces. that are on ground. its very unlikely that all your pieces will still be on board when your pawn gets to the point of promotion.

To add to what prof has said, the values of the pieces are also used when it comes to exchanging of pieces i.e to determine what piece you can exchange for another. for example: someone who doesn't know the value of their piece can decided to exchange a bishop with a rook. That is, i capture your bishop and then you capture my rook. In this case i m on the losing end because you are ahead by 2 points. As the bishop s just 3 points and the rook 5.
It can also be used sometimes to figure out if you’re winning or losing at any point in the game not counting or considering the positional advantage you may have.

so its not like scrabble though that you have to start recording down the points. Chess has its own form of recording. Which will be discussed later.

Hope you are okay with this? if you aren't, you can still lay you complains or more questions here smiley
Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 5:03am On Feb 18, 2015
prof800:

My sister, how na?
How have you been?
I love this thread. It is a great adjunct to our Official Chess Thread

Keep up the good work. wink

And who has chessguru's personal contact?

Thanks so much for the contribution. smiley

my brother, i dey

have been good oh and you?

thank you, yeah i miss that thread.

mmmm......chessguru he has a website now www.akinov.com i think you can find him from there.

1 Like

Re: Chess Basics For Beginners by joywendy(f): 5:07am On Feb 18, 2015
why are my wonderful students so silent? Una want test grin

ANYONE IS FREE TO CONTRIBUTE AND ASK QUESTIONS.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

This Tutorial Will Teach You How To Play Playstation Cd's From Your Cd Drive. / Hack And Install Games On Your PS4 Console, For As Low As 1K Each. / Uk Used Ps3 Consoles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.