Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,539 members, 7,823,362 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:07 AM

Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) (38731 Views)

Buhari's Letter To Senate On Appointment Of 2 Ministerial Nominees (Photo) / Dino Melaye, ABU VC Arrive Senate On Hearing Of Certificate Scandal (PHOTOS) / Certificate Scandal: Dino Melaye's Profile Altered By Senate On NASS Website- SR (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by notoriousbabe: 4:22pm On Feb 18, 2015
Zuria:
The concept is good but the process seems flawed. I'm not impressed by it sha....
rigging mode activated.....I smell PDP grin

1 Like

Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by queensmith: 4:27pm On Feb 18, 2015
emiye:

The number of votes must not exceed the accredited number of voters(number of approved cards by card readers), as the numbers accredited will be sent to a central database with INEC. The era of someone standing somewhere and thumb printing unused ballot papers is virtually eradicated.

This is good. Now we have moved to the era of arresting opposition leaders and harassing known members. Did Inec give any solutions to this in light of #Ekitigate?

PVC sounds good but its essentially useless if people cannot actually vote¿
Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by luvmijeje(f): 4:29pm On Feb 18, 2015
shaqhead:

We not e-voting per se but the card readers is used to checkmate d incidence inflating d acccredited voter number wc in turn leads to increase in d voter number! So if 50 people are accredited using d machine, wc cannot be tempered wt by d adhoc staff, therefore only 50 people or less will vote. Anything outside this, magomago dy oo

Hmmmm, so there can still be cases of multiple voting?
Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by notoriousbabe: 4:29pm On Feb 18, 2015
I can see somebody losing this election in a very embarassing way. The shock and disappointment will be too much for him and his cronies to bear. On reader's card we stand. Say no to election rigging

3 Likes

Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by bros12345: 4:30pm On Feb 18, 2015
My instincts tell me this election will be the worse in Nigeria history. I just hope I'm wrong though.

You see, things are easier said on paper than in application. Typical election day situation in Nigeria, believe me, 1 minute will not be enough to verify one person.

Even during the last registration, their laptops were breaking down every where.

What i see is massive protest in several polling units and people complaining they were not allowed to vote.

1 Like

Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by otokx(m): 4:31pm On Feb 18, 2015
oloye121:
It takes a average of 30 seconds to verify the voter. The accreditation period is between 8am and 12 pm. 4 hours. The card reader is configured to work during this period. That means that the reader will only be able to accredit less than 500 voters. In my unit we have more than 1000 registered voters. So what will happen to the rest ? . I hope this will not lead to a breakdown of law and order

Like JAMB, 2 card readers can be assigned to a unit.
Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by jaybee3(m): 4:33pm On Feb 18, 2015
luvmijeje:

Yes..
They had still be able to stuff extra 100 in If they verify/authenticate 400 and only 300 stayed behind to complete the voting process.
Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by tbaba1234: 4:33pm On Feb 18, 2015
iluvnaija:

For those comparing PVC as electronic voting
There is no electronic voting in naija for Christ sake! It's only for accreditation and to authenticate voters that's all.

Why many people dull like this?

Yes, but we are talking about machines and technology. The card reader is one.
Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by luvmijeje(f): 4:36pm On Feb 18, 2015
jaybee3:

Yes..
They had still be able to stuff extra 100 in If they verify/authenticate 400 and only 300 stayed behind to complete the voting process.

This where party agents and vigilant Nigerians come in.

2 Likes

Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by softwareman(m): 4:44pm On Feb 18, 2015
jaybee3:

You claimed the machine can't deliver 100% efficiency and i'm telling you it's possible since the expected outcome is defined and the input is fixed.

The hardware expects to read a familiar barcode which then gets processed by the inbuilt software (PIC) that compares the tranformed variables with the preloaded values within seconds.
That's merely a repetitve task that will almost certaily deliver 100% accuracy.

The only outside factor that can allow it malfunction is loss of power which they are going to counter by having a back up reader

Correct. That is why an ATM machine rarely fails to read a card. Except the card is somehow impaired, like you said the card reading technology now has almost 100 percent success rate.

@ to me this may be the final solution to the problem of multiple voting.

As for jega's performance: BRILLIANT AND IMPRESSIVE. THIS MAN KNOWS HIS ONIONS. NO DOUBT!!

3 Likes

Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by agabaI23(m): 4:50pm On Feb 18, 2015
sparrowkid:

The 0.03% is in respect to the total of card readers in their possession which is around 182,000 out of which about 500 is defective.

Concerning the battery, a fully charged battery of the card reader will last up to 14 hours of serious usage and the accreditation is just 5 hours. In the case of polling units with large number of voters above 500, voting points will be created by INEC to cater for that. If the card reader does not work, provision will be made for replacement and if with all efforts replacement cannot be made within the time frame of the election, then the election is postponed till the next day wherein a functional card reader will be brought in.
A question is , if the card reader can be replaced, does it mean that anybody can now vote wherever he is? What do they do to transfer the data from the faulty one to the other?
Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by castrogee(m): 4:54pm On Feb 18, 2015
EUROBOMBER:
All in all, Jonathan will emerge victorious. This is the simple political arithmetics:

GEJ will win the SE/SS/MB. buhari will win heavily in the NW as usual; Kaduna is going to be hot and divided 50-50 between Kaduna north & south. besides, Jonathan's VP is from Kaduna and the sitting Governor is PDP too. Lamido of Jigawa will do all he can to gather some Jigawa votes for Jonathan. Votes from the SW will be split and GEJ will get a reasonable size of the votes from there. The NE will not be too impressive because of the ding dung battles between boko haram and the MNTF; losing ground and recapturing it tomorrow. embarassed embarassed

The APC soldiers on nairaland are fighting a lost battle. I pity them because they will know the real definition of frustration after the elections. cheesy cheesy cheesy

Goodluck Jonathan will remain Nigeria's president come next month! cool

This is the most reasonable election outcome analysis I've read so far on nairaland. You are simply a realist!
Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by shaqhead: 4:56pm On Feb 18, 2015
luvmijeje:

#modified
Yes and No
No: It wl b absolute foolishness for any party to want to perpetrate that because as JEGA said result frm such polling unit wl be cancelled..i.e wen d voted cast exceeds the accredited votes.Who looses den?

Yes: In a case where d number that turned out for accreditatn is more than the number that later turned up to vote...some unscruplous party agents in cahoot wt inec staff myt attempt to make up for d deficit in voter number by "puting" no longer "stuffing" the ballot box but in my opinion such numbers wont b so much as to affect d whole credibility of d election.

1 Like

Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by phillip4re: 4:56pm On Feb 18, 2015
bros12345:
My instincts tell me this election will be the worse in Nigeria history. I just hope I'm wrong though.

You see, things are easier said on paper than in application. Typical election day situation in Nigeria, believe me, 1 minute will not be enough to verify one person.

Even during the last registration, their laptops were breaking down every where.

What i see is massive protest in several polling units and people complaining they were not allowed to vote.
stop concluding like that....did you watch it live?i did and very sure that accreditation per person will not last more than 30secs

1 Like

Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by Nobody: 4:57pm On Feb 18, 2015
bamidele029:
He is making a lot of sense. The card reader will announce if person's card is verified the card reader will announce that it's been verified and everyone around can hear it and vice versa if the card is not verified. That will prevent a corrupt INEC official from verifying a card that the card reader has rejected

I HOPE IT WILL NOT ONLY WORK WHEN JEGA IS SHOWING IT TO THE WORLD BUT SHOULD ALSO WORK DURING THE ELECTION ITSELF IN ALL THE POLLING UNITS.

GOD BLESS NIGERIA.
Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by muskaila114um(m): 4:58pm On Feb 18, 2015
interesting
Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by skyra: 5:03pm On Feb 18, 2015
Burger01:
Make the card reader work wela. No rigging for P.D.Pigs. Rigging is corruption smiley tongue
No rigging for any person, period. By the way, will the card be able to determine if the PVC owner is of age or underage? Saying this because of what I saw on TV and papers in the last elections in the North
Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by mickeymimi: 5:05pm On Feb 18, 2015
The truth had started coming out. It's only Jonathan and Patience that will remain in PDP by March 28.

PDP is dead forever! #MARCH4BUHARI. He is the man of the people.

1 Like

Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by skyra: 5:11pm On Feb 18, 2015
[quote author=amtheone post=30845436]This is remarkable. Every sane person will support the use of this card reader. It eliminates electoral fraud.[/quote ] An aspect of electoral fraud. Don't discountenance to power of stomach infrastructure by both parties. While I applaud the use of the card reader, I would want the INEC to carry out proper sensitization especially on the issue of pooling units, that way someone will not go to the wrong place on election day and the security should realy be alert to weed out underaged voters
Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by luvmijeje(f): 5:17pm On Feb 18, 2015
shaqhead:

#modified
Yes and No
No: It wl b absolute foolishness for any party to want to perpetrate that because as JEGA said result frm such polling unit wl be cancelled..i.e wen d voted cast exceeds the accredited votes.Who looses den?

Yes: In a case where d number that turned out for accreditatn is more than the number that later turned up to vote...some unscruplous party agents in cahoot wt inec staff myt attempt to make up for d deficit in voter number by "puting" no longer "stuffing" the ballot box but in my opinion such numbers wont b so much as to affect d whole credibility of d election.

Thanks. For the 2nd scenario to happen, it will take everyone in that polling station to be compromise.

1 Like

Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by dafuturis(m): 5:27pm On Feb 18, 2015
iluvnaija:

With all due respect my brother I am not abusing him only adding to what he has said. I keep hearing senators asking unreasonable questions when they know fully well the pure purpose of PVC.

I am sorry.
The country need more of your type.

1 Like

Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by istanboi: 5:43pm On Feb 18, 2015
bamidele029:
He is making a lot of sense. The card reader will announce if person's card is verified the card reader will announce that it's been verified and everyone around can hear it and vice versa if the card is not verified. That will prevent a corrupt INEC official from verifying a card that the card reader has rejected
I want to knw if one who has his pvc can vote in a place other than the place of his registeration
Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by bros12345: 5:47pm On Feb 18, 2015
phillip4re:

stop concluding like that....did you watch it live?i did and very sure that accreditation per person will not last more than 30secs

Have you done a PowerPoint presentation before or prepared for an interview?

Do you make your presentation with a dysfunctional system.

Jega was summoned by the Senate. He prepared himself and has put up a good performance.

But this is quite different in real life situation. This thing had not been tested in real life application in the Nigerian contextual enviromenf.

What you are seeing is just PowerPoint presentation and screen preparation. Wait and see the real world situation.

I'm all out for the new tech. But this should have been tested severely in real world for at least 2 years now.

1 Like

Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by colossus2: 5:55pm On Feb 18, 2015
amanze15:
I "we tried to locate your polling units on the reader we used here for demonstration thats why it took some much time, the readers coming to ur polling units are programmed for ur area so it would take 10-30 seconds in the hands of a trained adhoc staff"....prof jega
Yea by theory.
But in practical it can take 5mins.
Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by colossus2: 6:00pm On Feb 18, 2015
jaybee3:

They can be so please don't argue. I'm not talking about mechanical process. We are talking about software process flow here

The process of verification if disorderliness isnt a factor shouldn't take that much time after factoring the contigency period of an hour max.
Your phone don ever hang before?
Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by jaybee3(m): 6:04pm On Feb 18, 2015
colossus2:

Your phone don ever hang before?
That's because it's reliant on radio signal

This system will be offline so no outside interference.

Just straight input/output
I've designed a barcode scanner/reader before

1 Like

Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by colossus2: 6:09pm On Feb 18, 2015
phillip4re:

Stop lying....fingerprint verification is the delay.
A genuine user's fingerprint verification could fail.
From the queue to passing your card to the APO to entering the accreditation menu to verifying the PVC to authenticating fingerprint can never happen under 1min when we are not robots.
Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by colossus2: 6:12pm On Feb 18, 2015
jaybee3:

That's because it's reliant on radio signal

This system will be offline so no outside interference.

Just straight input/output
I've designed a barcode scanner/reader before
The delay isn't in reading it's magnetic chip, it's in verifying one's fingerprint.
Ever played with this device?
All those saying 30secs will change their mouth on d-day
Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by Etruth: 6:13pm On Feb 18, 2015
yahx:
[s]old cargos can't be the change we looking for
[/s] Young thieving cargoes are your change bringers, abi?
Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by ooshinibos: 7:52pm On Feb 18, 2015
melomelo:

I watch NTA, AIT, Channel, CNN, BBC.
God forbid, I can't watch Tinubu TVC or Fashola LTV. Nbanu

if u continue with this ur GEJ endorsement ..u are inviting a coup detat ..GEJ is repeating former president shagari's mistake
Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by Wals234: 7:59pm On Feb 18, 2015
This is a nice development by INEC!
Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by yahx(m): 8:01pm On Feb 18, 2015
Etruth:
[/s] Young thieving cargoes are your change bringers, abi?
yes the have young idea# we don't need walking cops

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Hadiza Ibrahim: How Arrested Abuja Beggar Made Her ₦500,000, $100 - FCTA / Yusuf Buhari Looking Dapper At Zahra's Wedding Ball / Profile Of Uche Secondus, PDP National Chairman AKA The “Total Chairman”

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.