Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,096 members, 7,811,073 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:39 PM

Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) (38669 Views)

Buhari's Letter To Senate On Appointment Of 2 Ministerial Nominees (Photo) / Dino Melaye, ABU VC Arrive Senate On Hearing Of Certificate Scandal (PHOTOS) / Certificate Scandal: Dino Melaye's Profile Altered By Senate On NASS Website- SR (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by steppin: 3:30pm On Feb 18, 2015
agabusta:

This is a very dumb assertion. Even if Jona wins 2nd term (God forbid), he cant serve as long as Obj's total period of ruling Nigeria. Obj spent 3 yrs ealier and then 8 years making 11 years.

If GEJ comes back (God forbid grin) he will be spending 9 years and months.
If you like, continue your "forbidding", it won't change the outcome of the results.
Jona go still dey there!
Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by Sajio(m): 3:31pm On Feb 18, 2015
picaso77:
DID YOU TEST RUN THE TECHNO PHONE BEFORE YOU BUY IT?
... How do you correlate your comment to what I said above??
Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by queensmith: 3:33pm On Feb 18, 2015
obasy09:

This is how it works bro.
Two processes are involved. The processes are:
1. Authentication
2. Verification

Authentication has to do with confirmation of the genuiness of the card u present for voting. How does it work? The card is placed beneath the card reader, within about 3 seconds, the card is read and confirmation made to the genuiness of the card (even if the card is not meant for the polling unit). This confirms that INEC issued the card and not a cloned one. Note that u can only used the card to vote at a poling unit if it has been configured for that polling unit even if the machine 'says' it is a genuine card. Once the card is not meant for a polling unit, the machine detects and refer the owner to its proper polling unit. If the machines fails to read the card reader at all, it is deamed fake and will not be allowed for voting anywhere. After Authentication, comes verification.
2. Verification: This refers to detecting whether you are the rightful owner of the card. It is the next step after authentication and having confirmed that the card is meant for the poling unit. You will be required to place one of your ten fingers on a fingerprint reader interface on the machine, once the machine recognises/read successfully any of your ten fingers and your facial appearance confirmed to match, u are deemed verified. In case the card reader failed to read your finger prints but your facial appearance and othe information on the card are verified to match on the machine and manual voters register, you will be allowed to vote. This rare case will be treated in a form named 'Incidental form'.

Thank you.

Thank you.

Once this has taken place how do you then cast your actual vote? (Sorry if its obvious) but does it then return to the traditional paper and ballot or is there now an electronic means as well?

Is the purpose of he PVC to ensure the number of eligible voters tallies with the actual votes?
Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by Nobody: 3:33pm On Feb 18, 2015
Sajio:
.... how would u get the real figure wen u start changing card readers?

Another brilliant question,

But I'm guessing that every verified card would already be stored in a central database, I read somewhere that data will be transmitted via gsm network

1 Like

Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by phillip4re: 3:35pm On Feb 18, 2015
Sajio:
... How do you correlate your comment to what I said above??
because inec test run theirs so it will last....moreover,when not in use,it returns to safe mode....i see a great breakthrough in this election...lets keep hopeful...also,everyone on this page should forget partisanship and lets pray for a succesful poll

2 Likes

Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by shaqhead: 3:36pm On Feb 18, 2015
freshness2020:

This is the more reason the apc are urinating in their pants!
**waiting for bashing**
Who wan bash u? Facts are sacrosanct bro. APC has been on d fore front of calling for d use of card readers yl its obvious d PDP is morbidly scared of dt POS-like machine goin by d thousand of unreasonable excuses they keep churning against its use...abi I lie?

2 Likes

Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by Nobody: 3:38pm On Feb 18, 2015
queensmith:

Thank you.

Once this has taken place how do you then cast your actual vote? (Sorry if its obvious) but does it then return to the traditional paper and ballot or is there now an electronic means as well?

Is the purpose of he PVC to ensure the number of eligible voters tallies with the actual votes?

You nail it bro. Exactly! However there is little modification to the traditional voting and counting procedure.

2 Likes

Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by jaybee3(m): 3:43pm On Feb 18, 2015
obasy09:

You nail it bro. Exactly! However there is little modification to the traditional voting and counting procedure.

Means you can't possibly have tewonde George's magicmathics again

They will have to explain how they managed to authenticate and vericate less than the collated votes.
Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by Gliding(m): 3:44pm On Feb 18, 2015
Sajio:
.... how would u get the real figure wen u start changing card readers?
The card readers are for identity verification, collation of votes will still be done by counting

3 Likes

Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by komek(m): 3:45pm On Feb 18, 2015
Ichiato:

Please can anybody give jega's response to the question above? Have not seen any reason answer to circumvent this problem

Some Nigerians are claiming that they will be more than one card reader in a polling booth. Where they will get the money to procure more is what I dnt know cos same Jega complained about cost and limited resources when a senator suggested they decentralise the collection of PVC
Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by Nobody: 3:45pm On Feb 18, 2015
jaybee3:

They did mention 30 secs per accreditation[b]
2*60*5 = 600[/b]

Worst case sceario it gets extended for an extra hour but trust Nigerians to turn up late then demand special priviledges

The bolded is not feasible.
Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by teetee1: 3:46pm On Feb 18, 2015
So good to be back...
Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by itetemi: 3:47pm On Feb 18, 2015
steppin:

If you like, continue your "forbidding", it won't change the outcome of the results.
Jona go still dey there!

to otuoke abi.

2 Likes

Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by komek(m): 3:48pm On Feb 18, 2015
jaybee3:

They did mention 30 secs per accreditation
2*60*5 = 600

Worst case sceario it gets extended for an extra hour but trust Nigerians to turn up late then demand special priviledges

U have come. Abaribe said that from the floor of the senate they were unable to carry out accreditation under 1minute. For your own info, on the floor of the Senate, INEC ICT professionals did the accreditation, now think of when some adhoc staff will do it cos must of them will not master it by then.
Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by emiye(m): 3:49pm On Feb 18, 2015
queensmith:

Thank you.

The number of votes must not exceed the accredited number of voters(number of approved cards by card readers), as the numbers accredited will be sent to a central database with INEC. The era of someone standing somewhere and thumb printing unused ballot papers is virtually eradicated.

2 Likes

Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by komek(m): 3:49pm On Feb 18, 2015
amanze15:
I "we tried to locate your polling units on the reader we used here for demonstration thats why it took some much time, the readers coming to ur polling units are programmed for ur area so it would take 10-30 seconds in the hands of a trained adhoc staff"....prof jega

Ok
Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by jaybee3(m): 3:49pm On Feb 18, 2015
Imanuelle:

The bolded is not feasible.
Not visible because Nigerians are disorderly and won’t obey simple instructions?

If yes, then a n hour contingency wouldn’t be out of place

Electronic hardware/software can reproduce processes to 0% error margin 100% of the time

1 Like

Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by unite4real: 3:50pm On Feb 18, 2015
EUROBOMBER:

I cannot say some things here, you are still a learner. grin grin grin grin grin

For your mind.

ROTFLMAO.

1 Like

Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by Nobody: 3:52pm On Feb 18, 2015
jaybee3:

Not visible because Nigerians are disorderly and won’t obey simple instructions?

If yes, then a n hour contingency wouldn’t be out of place

Electronic hardware/software can reproduce processes to 0% error margin 100% of the time

Machines aren't 100% efficient.

Asides the disorderliness, sometimes they will have toescan the cards two to three times, before the machine picks it up. Some persons will have to try the thumb printing for up to 5 times, all these activities will take time.

2 Likes

Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by jaybee3(m): 3:59pm On Feb 18, 2015
Imanuelle:

Machines aren't 100% efficient.

Asides the disorderliness, sometimes they will have toescan the cards two to three times, before the machine picks it up. Some persons will have to try the thumb printing for up to 5 times, all these activities will take time.

They can be so please don't argue. I'm not talking about mechanical process. We are talking about software process flow here

The process of verification if disorderliness isnt a factor shouldn't take that much time after factoring the contigency period of an hour max.
Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by Olufhemy(m): 4:00pm On Feb 18, 2015
Is the purpose of he PVC to ensure the number of eligible voters tallies with the actual votes?[/quote]

Yeah,that's the essence of it all,to which as soon as the accreditation process is done,the card reader gets closed & all data gets sent to inec base @ abuja(from time to time).after which nothing further can occur.
Thus,if the number of those who come cast their vote exceed the inec record from the card reader,the result in that polling unit will be cancelled.

2 Likes

Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by Nobody: 4:01pm On Feb 18, 2015
jaybee3:

Means you can't possibly have tewonde George's magicmathics again

They will have to explain how they managed to authenticate and vericate less than the collated votes.
That's d idea bro. The number of people that voted cannot exceed those verified manually and electronically. In fact, the electronic machine is the basis for balancing your account.

2 Likes

Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by shaqhead: 4:01pm On Feb 18, 2015
iluvnaija:

For those comparing PVC as electronic voting
There is no electronic voting in naija for Christ sake! It's only for accreditation and to authenticate voters that's all.

Why many people dull like this?
N u cd actually make ur point without d insult! Do u know it all?
Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by Nobody: 4:04pm On Feb 18, 2015
jaybee3:

They can be so please don't argue. I'm not talking about mechanical process. We are talking about software process flow here

The process of verification if disorderliness isnt a factor shouldn't take that much time after factoring the contigency period of an hour max.

Oh well, I thought we were having a gist on the process, didn't know you were arguing.
Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by experimentist: 4:11pm On Feb 18, 2015
Fear dey catch GoodLock!

1 Like

Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by jaybee3(m): 4:12pm On Feb 18, 2015
Imanuelle:

Oh well, I thought we were having a gist on the process, didn't know you were arguing.
You claimed the machine can't deliver 100% efficiency and i'm telling you it's possible since the expected outcome is defined and the input is fixed.

The hardware expects to read a familiar barcode which then gets processed by the inbuilt software (PIC) that compares the tranformed variables with the preloaded values within seconds.
That's merely a repetitve task that will almost certaily deliver 100% accuracy.

The only outside factor that can allow it malfunction is loss of power which they are going to counter by having a back up reader

1 Like

Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by Gliding(m): 4:13pm On Feb 18, 2015
Imanuelle:

Remember, the agents will already be on ground to have noticed that the reader is defaulted, the Presiding officer and his assistants have no knowledge on how to configure these card readers, the EO and other executives will be too busy, moving around, typical election day situation on ground, everyone is busy, its a simple reality sir, besides, who will have the time to start transferring a supposedly encrypted data? That is not even in the possession of the low level-reachable electoral officers?
You raised valid points. The success of it all depends a lot on the INEC staff and how up to the task they are. However, it is my belief that we will have far more credible elections using the card readers than otherwise

These things will happen, we can only hope that it doesn't happen on a large scale.
You raised valid points. The overall success of the elections will depend on how up to the task the electoral officers are. However I believe we will have far more credible elections using the card readers than otherwise.

1 Like

Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by Nobody: 4:14pm On Feb 18, 2015
jaybee3:

You claimed the machine can't deliver 100% efficiency and i'm telling you it's possible since the expected outcome is defined and the input is fixed.

The hardware expects to read a familiar barcode which then gets processed by the inbuilt software (PIC) that compares the tranformed variables with the preloaded values within seconds.
That's merely a repetitve task that will almost certaily deliver 100% accuracy.

The only outside factor that can allow it malfunction is loss of power which they are going to counter by having a back up reader

Okay smiley
Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by shaqhead: 4:14pm On Feb 18, 2015
luvmijeje:

I thought he said with the card reader multiple voting will not be possible.
We not e-voting per se but the card readers is used to checkmate d incidence inflating d acccredited voter number wc in turn leads to increase in d voter number! So if 50 people are accredited using d machine, wc cannot be tempered wt by d adhoc staff, therefore only 50 people or less will vote. Anything outside this, magomago dy oo

2 Likes

Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by shaqhead: 4:16pm On Feb 18, 2015
bettercreature:
This is what happenes when you are faithfull and you dont have skeleton in your walldrobe
Wardrobe not Walldrobe bro..English can be difficult I kno..

2 Likes

Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by Nobody: 4:16pm On Feb 18, 2015
Gliding:

Trust that I am not the least advocating for abandonment of the card readers. I am only outlining possible challenges for the sake of much better preparations.

2 Likes

Re: Atahiru Jega Addressed The Nigerian Senate On 18th February 2014 (Video) by melomelo: 4:21pm On Feb 18, 2015
ooshinibos:

i think u have been watching too much NTA news thats why u think all these have endorsed GEJ ..go to the ordinary man on the street an ask them if they will endorse GEJ ..and why should they ?

I watch NTA, AIT, Channel, CNN, BBC.
God forbid, I can't watch Tinubu TVC or Fashola LTV. Nbanu

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

President Buhari Meets With Abdulmumin Jibrin (Photo) / Fashola: Many Countries Begged Nigeria For Food During Lockdown / God Has Told Me Who Will Become Next President But….. - Primate Ayodele

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.