Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,827 members, 7,810,177 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:32 PM

Nigerian Trained Midwives Working Abroad - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Trained Midwives Working Abroad (11937 Views)

Is There Bright Future For A Nigerian Trained Dj In Oversea? / Nigerian Nurses And Midwives With The Dream Of Working Abroad Let's Meet Here. / Working Abroad Illegally (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Trained Midwives Working Abroad by switesthart(f): 7:53pm On Feb 18, 2015
Hello nairalanders, please is there any nigerian trained midwife who has successfully registered with any midwifery council of any developed country and is presently working in the said country. I tried for UK but it dint work out so I am considering newzealand or australia or any other developed country. Pls if you are a midwife or you know any midwife that has copleted the process, please share with a sister. Hope to get feedback from my nairaland family. Cheers.
Re: Nigerian Trained Midwives Working Abroad by switesthart(f): 6:51am On Feb 20, 2015
switesthart:
Hello nairalanders, please is there any nigerian trained midwife who has successfully registered with any midwifery council of any developed country and is presently working in the said country. I tried for UK but it dint work out so I am considering newzealand or australia or any other developed country. Pls if you are a midwife or you know any midwife that has copleted the process, please share with a sister. Hope to get feedback from my nairaland family. Cheers.

Please are there no nigerian trained midwives/nurses that have registered and are practicing in a foreign or developed country. Come to a sisters aid.
Re: Nigerian Trained Midwives Working Abroad by Lexusgs430: 7:45am On Feb 20, 2015
Did you attempt the conversion exam in the United Kingdom (2 part application process)? It's almost £1500.00, but the rewards are their to rip eventually.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Trained Midwives Working Abroad by barbiee: 7:52am On Feb 20, 2015
I am a registered nurse/midwife nd I hv the same interest of working abroad usa to be precise. I don't think it is possible to just start working abroad like dat, there are steps and procedures. You can choose to go through cgfns and wait for the credentials evaluation report which can take almost 1 year before you can register and sit for nclex. Passing the nclex exam is what will enable you gain licensure in the state you choose to work in. I have made some contacts and unless you have a bsn degree your certificate amounts to nothing. It is not even up to an associate degree mind you this is if you graduated from a 3 years basic midwifery program. If you have a bsn you can go ahead with the evaluation. If you don't, you can decide to apply as a licensed practical nurse or go for the 2 years associate degree nursing program first in a community college. I said nursing program because I think in us you have to be a registered nurse ist b4 you can get licensed as a midwife. Apart from that you can also do the accelerated second degree nursing program which is about 1 year to 18 mnths long (this is the option I'm using) for you to do this, you have to hv a bsn in anoda field ist nd jst wnts to go into nursing bt since I already hv a background knowledge of nursing and jst want my bsn degree and to write nclex I cn apply for it. Most schools don't accept international students because it has an online component but the schools that do will ask for your transcripts for evaluation (I jst sent mine yesterday). If you don't wnt to go thru sch ist den you cn jst apply for a LPN or LVN license bt I doubt it if you can use your midwifery certificate for that. Just contact the state board of nursing and ask them. It is not possible for you to just travel out with our certificate and start working without more education. Wish you luck cos u re going to need it.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Trained Midwives Working Abroad by barbiee: 8:02am On Feb 20, 2015

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Trained Midwives Working Abroad by Lexusgs430: 8:14am On Feb 20, 2015
barbiee:
there are no rewards in working as a nurse in uk, at least not one that is worth it anyway. In uk, nurses/midwives are over worked and are seen as maids or cleaners or something far derogatory and their pay is crappy. Uk nurses are migrating to australia for greener pastures. Your best bet would be to work in usa. It takes time to get licensed there but it is worth it at the end. You get paid more, better job benefits and getting your degrees e.g masters or dnp is faster and is online dat way you can do it while still working full time.
Go to your facebook account and like this page. National association of nigerian nurses in north america. You can also watch the interview of Dr grace on youtube. She is a nigerian nurses who has earned her Dnp degree that is y she is called doctor. She talked abt hw she started d process to when she got licensed to practice. (And she was married with kids when she did dat)!

Using the NMC has a stepping stone would obviously have its benefits?
Agreed working as a direct employee, for the NHS is not a decent wage, but agencies pay more!!!
NB: If you call £55 an hour 'crappy', then I can imagine what a decent wage would entail!!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Trained Midwives Working Abroad by switesthart(f): 1:42pm On Feb 20, 2015
Lexusgs430:
Did you attempt the conversion exam in the United Kingdom (2 part application process)? It's almost £1500.00, but the rewards are their to rip eventually.

I started my application b4 d process was changed nd it dint work out. I will try out their new process in d near future but b4 den I want to try oda countries especially NZ.
Re: Nigerian Trained Midwives Working Abroad by switesthart(f): 1:49pm On Feb 20, 2015
barbiee:
I am a registered nurse/midwife nd I hv the same interest of working abroad usa to be precise. I don't think it is possible to just start working abroad like dat, there are steps and procedures. You can choose to go through cgfns and wait for the credentials evaluation report which can take almost 1 year before you can register and sit for nclex. Passing the nclex exam is what will enable you gain licensure in the state you choose to work in. I have made some contacts and unless you have a bsn degree your certificate amounts to nothing. It is not even up to an associate degree mind you this is if you graduated from a 3 years basic midwifery program. If you have a bsn you can go ahead with the evaluation. If you don't, you can decide to apply as a licensed practical nurse or go for the 2 years associate degree nursing program first in a community college. I said nursing program because I think in us you have to be a registered nurse ist b4 you can get licensed as a midwife. Apart from that you can also do the accelerated second degree nursing program which is about 1 year to 18 mnths long (this is the option I'm using) for you to do this, you have to hv a bsn in anoda field ist nd jst wnts to go into nursing bt since I already hv a background knowledge of nursing and jst want my bsn degree and to write nclex I cn apply for it. Most schools don't accept international students because it has an online component but the schools that do will ask for your transcripts for evaluation (I jst sent mine yesterday). If you don't wnt to go thru sch ist den you cn jst apply for a LPN or LVN license bt I doubt it if you can use your midwifery certificate for that. Just contact the state board of nursing and ask them. It is not possible for you to just travel out with our certificate and start working without more education. Wish you luck cos u re going to need it.

Thanks for the write which wld be very helpful to anybody looking to practice in d US. I am not looking to go to US at d moment maybe later in future. Thanks all the same.
Re: Nigerian Trained Midwives Working Abroad by switesthart(f): 6:19am On Feb 22, 2015
switesthart:

Pls keep d info coming
Re: Nigerian Trained Midwives Working Abroad by Bhanjea: 1:20am On Apr 25, 2016
switesthart:

US nursing has different cadre of registration,which I guess a 3year RN graduate here will only be qualified as an LPN in US,CANADA,AUSTRAlIA,NZ. In countries like UK,IRELAND,there is only a single cadre of nursing which is RN and one of the major requirement is that,you must be qualified as a first level nurse(RN) in your home country and you will have to be a product of at least a 3yrs training,with clinical and theoretical hours of 4600hrs out of which one-third will be theory while one-half will be clinical hours.
I guess a double qualified Nurse in Nigeria would be able to get into any of the European country easily...I guess NMC will send you a decision letter,what's the reason for the denial of your registration
Re: Nigerian Trained Midwives Working Abroad by Ctemi(f): 9:10pm On Apr 25, 2016
Hi, what about someone that have bsc in nursing and can such fellow register for cgfns in Nigeria? thank
Re: Nigerian Trained Midwives Working Abroad by itstpia8: 11:42pm On Apr 25, 2016
Bhanjea:

US nursing has different cadre of registration,which I guess a 3year RN graduate here will only be qualified as an LPN in US,

No, it depends on which exam you take, either LPN or RN. Check the relevant board for details on certification.
Re: Nigerian Trained Midwives Working Abroad by whitesnowboss07: 8:04am On Jun 06, 2016
what about someone who has Bsc in nursing from one of the university in benin republic cotonou ..shes not registered yet but willing cause she want to travel to USA to practice what can be done pls ma and sir
Re: Nigerian Trained Midwives Working Abroad by TheArchangel(f): 4:25pm On Jun 06, 2016
whitesnowboss07:
what about someone who has Bsc in nursing from one of the university in benin republic cotonou ..shes not registered yet but willing cause she want to travel to USA to practice what can be done pls ma and sir
Bsc nursing without registration and license won't sale anywhere. Let her get her license and be registered to the nursing board of the country she was trained in.
Re: Nigerian Trained Midwives Working Abroad by desy24444(m): 9:45am On Jun 07, 2016
Nice thread
Re: Nigerian Trained Midwives Working Abroad by shndy: 1:58pm On May 19, 2017
TheArchangel:
Bsc nursing without registration and license won't sale anywhere. Let her get her license and be registered to the nursing board of the country she was trained in.
I have a bit of a situation. My cousin is taking bsc nursing in the Philippines. We just found out the country doesnt register nor licence foreign students. Without the registration number she can't sit for nclex.
Pls what options has she got? Can she go register with the nursing council in Nigeria?
Tx
Re: Nigerian Trained Midwives Working Abroad by travelpoint: 2:42am On Jun 01, 2017
Bhanjea:

US nursing has different cadre of registration,which I guess a 3year RN graduate here will only be qualified as an LPN in US,CANADA,AUSTRAlIA,NZ. In countries like UK,IRELAND,there is only a single cadre of nursing which is RN and one of the major requirement is that,you must be qualified as a first level nurse(RN) in your home country and you will have to be a product of at least a 3yrs training,with clinical and theoretical hours of 4600hrs out of which one-third will be theory while one-half will be clinical hours.
I guess a double qualified Nurse in Nigeria would be able to get into any of the European country easily...I guess NMC will send you a decision letter,what's the reason for the denial of your registration
My sister graduated from Oyo state college of nursing 4 years ago. She relocated to US November 2016. She sat for the RN exam in March 2017, she passed it at one attempt. She found it easy because her boyfriend now husband lives in USA
Re: Nigerian Trained Midwives Working Abroad by goch4sweet: 1:05pm On Nov 26, 2017
You can apply to New Zealand www.midwiferycouncil.health.nz
Re: Nigerian Trained Midwives Working Abroad by goch4sweet: 7:30pm On Nov 26, 2017
switesthart:

Hello house,
This post is about Nigerian Midwives who wish to apply to and work as a Registered midwife in New Zealand.

It is strictly for holders of Basic Midwifery certificate. That is, you studied Midwifery for 3yeara and got registered and licensed by the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria.

You must have worked for at least 3 years.

New Zealand offers good opportunuties for foreign midwives. A newly employed midwife in New Zealand earns 47000 New Zealand dollar per year. That's about 11,600,000 naira.

I will give a step by step procedure

1. Complete a three years Basic Midwifery study and get registered and licensed by the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria.

2. Get a valid (not expired) international passport ready. This cost around 25,000 naira from any immigration office near you.

2. At this point I advise you open a dollar account in any Nigerian bank so you can easily pay for your application and registration fee to New Zealand Midwifery Council. Don't panic. Its not difficult to open. Just go to aboki buy US$10 with 3500 naira. Go with your intl passport, electricity bill, 2 passport photographs to FCMB bank and they will do it for you. When you are ready to apply to New Zealand Midwifery Council, you must buy dollar from aboki and pay into this account to cover the amount you want to pay to New Zealand Midwifery Council. You need this because you can't pay to New Zealand Midwifery Council with your naira atm card.

3. Log in to www.midwiferycouncil.health.nz/midwives/becoming-registered-practise/internationally-qualified-midwives-application-guidelines to study the guidelines.

4. With your valid valid license and intl passport ready and your dollar account funded with at least US$200, you Log in to www.midwiferycouncil.health.nz and create an account in their website. You will be given a username and password which you will need to Log in anytime. Click on 'Apply' and select 'Oversea' and fill the form.

Select 'Assessment fee'. This is because your documents will be assessed first before proper registration. Assessment fee is 250 New Zealand dollar, about 62,000 naira.

On payment option, select credit card and fill in the details on your dollar account atm card.

If they confirm your credentials to be true, they will give you decision letter to pay for your registration and license. This cost 750 New Zealand dollar, about 186,000 naira.

5. After filling the form online, you will be asked to print out two forms. You will take one to Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria to fill and send directly to New Zealand Midwifery Council.

6. You will send the following documents by post to:
New Zealand Midwifery Council,
Level 5,
22 Willeston Street,
Wellington Central,
Wellington 6011,
New Zealand.

- A photocopy of the data page of your intl passport

- Photocopy of your RM Notification of Registration

- Certificate of Good Standing. This with be sent by Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria directly to New Zealand Midwifery Council. NMCN charges around 10,000 naira for this.

7. Your CV signed and dated. It must also state names, full addresses of all health facilities/clinics/hospitals you have worked, your position, ward and explain the functions of that ward/unit.

8. Meet the Principal of your school of Midwifery and ask them to send your transcripts to:
New Zealand Midwifery Council

Tell your Principal to add that your studies were conducted and you were examined in English language. This is very important. If this is not stated, you will be required to sit and take IELTS test.

9. Get a reference letter from one of your former or current employer stating your Midwifery ability and conduct.
Another reference letter can come from a person of high standing but not related to you. You will add it in the documents you will send to New Zealand Midwifery Council.

10. Get a medical certificate of physical and mental fitness from a government hospital.

11. Fill the Self Assessment Against Competencies form. This is the second form you printed from New Zealand Midwifery Council website. You are required to have conducted at least 30 deliveries by yourself, 20 as assistants and 50 as observer. You will answer some questions on antenatal, postnatal, episiotomy, deliveries, medical surgical nursing, etc.

12. Photocopy of your WAEC/NECO. Ask your school to give you a testimonial stating your academic background and conduct. Your secondary school must state that English was the medium of study and you were examined in English language. This is the condition New Zealand Midwifery Council accepts to exempt you from taking IELTS.

12. First School Leaving Certificate.

13. Completed and printed online application form from New Zealand Midwifery Council website.

Note: all Photocopies must be notarised by a solicitor. He must print his name, Complete address, phone number, rank/designation and state 'I certify this document a true copy of their originals' on each documents. If this is not done, it will be rejected. So get a lawyer do that.

Mail all documents to:
New Zealand Midwifery Council in the address stated above.

If you have further questions on registration and licensing, pls write to New Zealand Midwifery Council via info@midwiferycouncil.health.nz

After your qualification is assessed and New Zealand Midwifery Council informs you, the next step is to look for Midwives recruitment agency in New Zealand.

They will assist you get a job while you are still in Nigeria.

They will file application for your work permit, pay your visa fee, your flight ticket, receive you on arrival in New Zealand and arrange an accommodation for you. You will sign a contract to work for them for 2 or 3 years. This does not affect your salary oo.

If you are married, they can sponsor you, your husband and one child or you and two children without your husband.

If you have further questions on Sponsorship, pls write:

info@accent.net.nz

Or

enquiries@tonix.co.nz

Or

info@medacs.co.nz

Thanks. My fingers ache.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Trained Midwives Working Abroad by anthney87: 8:10pm On Oct 02, 2018
goch4sweet:

Hello house,
This post is about Nigerian Midwives who wish to apply to and work as a Registered midwife in New Zealand.

It is strictly for holders of Basic Midwifery certificate. That is, you studied Midwifery for 3yeara and got registered and licensed by the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria.

New Zealand offers good opportunuties for foreign midwives. A newly employed midwife in New Zealand earns 47000 New Zealand dollar per year. That's about 11,600,000 naira.

1. Complete a three years Basic Midwifery study and get registered and licensed by the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria.

2. Get a valid (not expired) international passport ready. This cost around 25,000 naira from any immigration office near you.

2. At this point I advise you open a dollar account in any Nigerian bank so you can easily pay for your application and registration fee to New Zealand Midwifery Council. Don't panic. Its not difficult to open. Just go to aboki buy US$10 with 3500 naira. Go with your intl passport, electricity bill, 2 passport photographs to FCMB bank and they will do it for you. When you are ready to apply to New Zealand Midwifery Council, you must buy dollar from aboki and pay into this account to cover the amount you want to pay to New Zealand Midwifery Council. You need this because you can't pay to New Zealand Midwifery Council with your naira atm card.

3. Log in to www.midwiferycouncil.health.nz/midwives/becoming-registered-practise/internationally-qualified-midwives-application-guidelines to study the guidelines.

4. With your valid valid license and intl passport ready and your dollar account funded with at least US$200, you Log in to www.midwiferycouncil.health.nz and create an account in their website. You will be given a username and password which you will need to Log in anytime. Click on 'Apply' and select 'Oversea' and fill the form.

Select 'Assessment fee'. This is because your documents will be assessed first before proper registration. Assessment fee is 250 New Zealand dollar, about 62,000 naira.

On payment option, select credit card and fill in the details on your dollar account atm card.

If they confirm your credentials to be true, they will give you decision letter to pay for your registration and license. This cost 750 New Zealand dollar, about 186,000 naira.

5. After filling the form online, you will be asked to print out two forms. You will take one to Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria to fill and send directly to New Zealand Midwifery Council.

Level 5,
22 Willeston Street,
Wellington Central,
Wellington 6011,
New Zealand.

- Certificate of Good Standing. This with be sent by Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria directly to New Zealand Midwifery Council. NMCN charges around 10,000 naira for this.

7. Your CV signed and dated. It must also state names, full addresses of all health facilities/clinics/hospitals you have worked, your position, ward and explain the functions of that ward/unit.

8. Meet the Principal of your school of Midwifery and ask them to send your transcripts to:

Tell your Principal to add that your studies were conducted and you were examined in English language. This is very important. If this is not stated, you will be required to sit and take IELTS test.

9. Get a reference letter from one of your former or current employer stating your Midwifery ability and conduct.
Another reference letter can come from a person of high standing but not related to you. You will add it in the documents you will send to New Zealand Midwifery Council.

10. Get a medical certificate of physical and mental fitness from a government hospital.

11. Fill the Self Assessment Against Competencies form. This is the second form you printed from New Zealand Midwifery Council website. You are required to have conducted at least 30 deliveries by yourself, 20 as assistants and 50 as observer. You will answer some questions on antenatal, postnatal, episiotomy, deliveries, medical surgical nursing, etc.

12. Photocopy of your WAEC/NECO. Ask your school to give you a testimonial stating your academic background and conduct. Your secondary school must state that English was the medium of study and you were examined in English language. This is the condition New Zealand Midwifery Council accepts to exempt you from taking IELTS.

13. Completed and printed online application form from New Zealand Midwifery Council website.

Note: all Photocopies must be notarised by a solicitor. He must print his name, Complete address, phone number, rank/designation and state 'I certify this document a true copy of their originals' on each documents. If this is not done, it will be rejected. So get a lawyer do that.

Mail all documents to:

If you have further questions on registration and licensing, pls write to New Zealand Midwifery Council via info@midwiferycouncil.health.nz

After your qualification is assessed and New Zealand Midwifery Council informs you, the next step is to look for Midwives recruitment agency in New Zealand.

They will file application for your work permit, pay your visa fee, your flight ticket, receive you on arrival in New Zealand and arrange an accommodation for you. You will sign a contract to work for them for 2 or 3 years. This does not affect your salary oo.

If you are married, they can sponsor you, your husband and one child or you and two children without your husband.

info@accent.net.nz

Or

enquiries@tonix.co.nz

Or

info@medacs.co.nz

Thanks. My fingers ache.

thanks for this. please are you in new Zealand?
Re: Nigerian Trained Midwives Working Abroad by switesthart(f): 1:40pm On Dec 12, 2018
Nigeria NMC only registers trainings taken abroad that is 3years or more.
shndy:

I have a bit of a situation. My cousin is taking bsc nursing in the Philippines. We just found out the country doesnt register nor licence foreign students. Without the registration number she can't sit for nclex.
Pls what options has she got? Can she go register with the nursing council in Nigeria?
Tx
Re: Nigerian Trained Midwives Working Abroad by switesthart(f): 1:41pm On Dec 12, 2018
Tx[/quote]

Nigeria NMC only registers trainings taken abroad that is 3years or more.
Re: Nigerian Trained Midwives Working Abroad by switesthart(f): 1:49pm On Dec 12, 2018
shndy:

Tx

Nigerian nmc only recognizes nursing training abroad that is 3years or more. And you will have to take nursing council exam first.
Re: Nigerian Trained Midwives Working Abroad by switesthart(f): 1:52pm On Dec 12, 2018
goch4sweet:

Hello house,

Level 5,
22 Willeston Street,
Wellington Central,
Wellington 6011,
New Zealand.

Mail all documents to:

info@accent.net.nz

Or

enquiries@tonix.co.nz

Or

info@medacs.co.nz

Thanks. My fingers ache.

Is there any agency in Nigeria that can put one through.
Re: Nigerian Trained Midwives Working Abroad by switesthart(f): 2:28pm On Dec 12, 2018
shndy:

Tx

Nigerian nmc only recognizes nursing training abroad that is 3years or more. And you will have to take nursing council exam first.
Re: Nigerian Trained Midwives Working Abroad by anthney87: 9:07am On Dec 21, 2018
Please is there any Nigerian midwife here who relocated out of Nigeria as a midwife? Let's know how you did it because it basically seems relocation from Nigeria is only through the nursing career
Re: Nigerian Trained Midwives Working Abroad by anthney87: 11:47am On Jun 07, 2019
goch4sweet:

Hello house,

Level 5,
22 Willeston Street,
Wellington Central,
Wellington 6011,
New Zealand.

Mail all documents to:

info@accent.net.nz

Or

enquiries@tonix.co.nz

Or

info@medacs.co.nz

Thanks. My fingers ache.

Good news o Nigerian Midwives.

this has begun to yield good fruits. The journey is going on fine and things are in good position.

let me see those interested
Re: Nigerian Trained Midwives Working Abroad by Losami(m): 4:24pm On Jul 29, 2019
Hello,
please i have a question, i have someone who has all the required qualifications but is over 50. is there an age restriction?
goch4sweet:

Hello house,

Level 5,
22 Willeston Street,
Wellington Central,
Wellington 6011,
New Zealand.

Mail all documents to:

info@accent.net.nz

Or

enquiries@tonix.co.nz

Or

info@medacs.co.nz

Thanks. My fingers ache.
Re: Nigerian Trained Midwives Working Abroad by deuzgreat: 9:33am On Oct 03, 2019
switesthart:
How far now?
Re: Nigerian Trained Midwives Working Abroad by Kamkamdd: 1:40pm On Feb 05, 2020
Hello ooo!Dis kind of thread should not be allowed to die.
Has anyone relocated since dis thread was created? Kindly share ur experience, u maybe helping sombdy out.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Keke Drivers In Maiduguri Protest, Burn Tyres Over Extortions By Police (Photos) / How To Travel Nigeria In 7 Days / Fuel Queues Continue In Abuja Despite Nnpc’s Denial Of Fuel Price Increase

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 180
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.