Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,041 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:31 AM

Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade (28911 Views)

The Cancellation Of Post Utme, A Blessing To Our Educational System. / Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 / NUC Abolishes Award Of Pass Degree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by Nobody: 8:38am On Feb 19, 2015
don't be surprise that the guy that will comment after me will add "sai buhari" to his comment.. hahahahaha
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by Habidab: 8:38am On Feb 19, 2015
izsmike:
I guess first class will now be 4.75 cgpa
it depends on your school
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by Habidab: 8:39am On Feb 19, 2015
teemanbastos:
mad..even d 4.5cgpa..man dy struggle...dy wan kill person ni?!
Uni. Lyk Futa wunt produce 1st klass again niyen o.
even UI waybe Baba self no fit, to score 70 na die not to talk of 75
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by BlackPeni5: 8:41am On Feb 19, 2015
igeolink:

Like u

Lol...How do you know I'm lazy. Hope you are not one of those sent from the village to attack me.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by Saucekide25(m): 8:43am On Feb 19, 2015
Get up to #5000 Discount and Swift Delivery when you order items on Jumia.com[Pay on Delivery]...To place your orders Call or Whatsapp (08122204769)or e-mail me via (Eonuegbu1@gmail.com).[/quote]
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by hassymo5(m): 8:47am On Feb 19, 2015
NIGERIANS ALWAYS LOOKING AT CETTIFICATE RATHER THAN TALENT AND CAPABILITY!!!!
SCHOOL DROP OUT FOR DEVELOP COUNTRY ARE LEAVING LARGE WITH INNOVATIONS ,,WE ARE HERE CERTIFICATE THIS,CERTIFICATE THAT..
HOW MANY FIRST CLASS FOR THESE COUNTRY HAS INNOVATED SOMETHING.. FROM MY ANGLE NON....

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by acenazt: 8:47am On Feb 19, 2015
ahhh man,and this A.B.U guys want first class at 4.80. I still dey hope for that 4.7 sha.
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by j4sure(m): 8:48am On Feb 19, 2015
ok THEN 3RD CLASS UPPER. YES OOOOOOOO

Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by XploraBen(m): 8:53am On Feb 19, 2015
I only see this as a way of curbing academic frivolity.Once you're in the university,know that your business there is to attain a high academic qualification...my 3cents.
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by Azumy(f): 8:56am On Feb 19, 2015
TippyTop:
Pass grades are not bad, Buhari who wants to be president has no certificate at all.

Always thank God for small mercies.
imumuuu wot has buhari got 2 do wit pass grade u no sabi read bah? Na ur kind dem go ask ba+ba nd u say i ... noe ma+ma.olodoooo lolzz
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by Adex097: 8:58am On Feb 19, 2015
So they are still contemplating sef shocked and UNIBEN has implemented the policy...chai...I just pity the below average students.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by TippyTop(m): 8:59am On Feb 19, 2015
Azumy:
imumuuu wot has buhari got 2 do wit pass grade u no sabi read bah? Na ur kind dem go ask ba+ba nd u say i ... noe ma+ma.olodoooo lolzz

Birds of the same feathers flock together, you be illiterate like buhari, that's why you're defending him.
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by Nobody: 9:01am On Feb 19, 2015
izsmike:
I guess first class will now be 4.75 cgpa

First class is still 4.5CGPA.
Contrary to what is in the posting above, almost all universities have embraced the new format with little or no fuss. THERE IS NOT A SINGLE UNIVERSITY THAT HAS NOT TAKEN THIS GRADING SYSTEM!!!. It's an NUC directive, all universities MUST comply to ALL NUC directives or face the wrath of failing accreditation or being suspended.
The format is already into its second academic session and was already in use when Prof. Zuru was the VC of a university prior to moving to UDUS.
It is a shame that Mods on Nairaland would rather promote garbage posts to FP instead of important stuff that will make a difference to the lives of prospecting/current university students.
This is a post I made over a year ago......

Change In University Grading And Degree Structure by zayidhs(m): 5:21pm On Jan 10, 2014

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO ALL FRESH UNIVERSITY STUDENTS

This is not a new development as it has been sounded out to universities since December 2012. Before i proceed, to dispel any ambiguity, these two issues are only going to affect students that will register for the 2013/2014 academic session onwards. The students can either be UTME(100 level) or DE(200 level).

1. NO E (44-40) IN GRADING

Initially, we all know that:

100-70 is A,

69-60 is B,

59-50 is C,

49-45 is D,

44-40 is E,

40-0 is F.

Well, the grading system has changed as such, from 2013/2014 academic session onwards, from 44-0 will be F!!! ie no more E

Please note that though this affects 200 level DE students that gained admission in 2013/2014 academic session, it does not affect the 200 level students they will meet (the ones that were admitted in 2012/2013 academic session and did 100 level)

2. NO PASS DEGREE

There used to be a class of degree called the "Pass Degree"(with CGPA 1.5 downwards). This has also been scrapped off the board as can be seen by the statement issued by NUC below:

"The National Universities Commission (NUC) has abolished the award of pass degrees in Nigerian Universities.

In a release signed by the Ag. Director, Academic standards, Mrs Florence Asemadahun addressed to Vice-chancellors of various Universities, the NUC stated that the classification of degrees in the Nigerian Universities terminates at third class. The classification is as follows:

First class division (100 - 70 with 5.00 - 4.50 as CGPA)

Second class Upper division (69 - 60 with 4.49 - 3.50 CGPA)

Second class lower division (49 - 50 with 3.49 - 2.40 CGPA)

Third class division (49 - 45 with 2.39 - 1.50 CGPA).

It follows therefore, that third Class is the least class of degree in the Nigerian Universities."

CONCLUSION

FOR 1 ABOVE: No more hanging by the thread as statistic of results in most universities show E (44 - 40) running away with almost 43% of the votes.

FOR 2 ABOVE: Once you graduate with a CGPA below 1.5, you will by then have officially wasted all the years and resources you spent in school.

Also;
i. 0.5 - below is now the threshold for "To withdraw from the University" instead of 0.3
ii. 1.0 - below is "Sessional Probation" which if not improved in one (1) academic session, will lead to "withdraw from course" aka change of department and demotion to 100 level.

I hereby advise all fresh students to buckle up and put their best of efforts as it is going to get much harder in a system that is riddled with unbearable hardship and pitfalls.
All the best!!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by Missmossy(f): 9:02am On Feb 19, 2015
Its just okay, at least those students who are average will have to buckle up and those who are overly good will only top up themselves. The new grading system was used in my school for the previous freshers who are now in 200L and only a few minority of them really had good grades. Newbies they were then grin It is well anyway. Nigerian system of education isn't for the lazy ones.
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by Nobody: 9:04am On Feb 19, 2015
Iykebestbt:
Do I care?
NO, trust me nobody does
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by Nobody: 9:07am On Feb 19, 2015
THIRD-CLASS GRADUATES BE LYK;

hassymo5:
NIGERIANS ALWAYS LOOKING AT CETTIFICATE RATHER THAN TALENT AND CAPABILITY!!!!
SCHOOL DROP OUT FOR DEVELOP COUNTRY ARE LEAVING LARGE WITH INNOVATIONS ,,WE ARE HERE CERTIFICATE THIS,CERTIFICATE THAT..
HOW MANY FIRST CLASS FOR THESE COUNTRY HAS INNOVATED SOMETHING.. FROM MY ANGLE NON....

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by gbishman: 9:13am On Feb 19, 2015
Am fully in supprt, why on earth would a graduate settle for pass when u know there is nothing that person can do with it. Its better to even be issued with a certificate of attendance.
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by danielmichael(m): 9:14am On Feb 19, 2015
So this one wher buhari no even get certificate of COWS owners in katsina an wan contest for presidency?

They shud strt dis nonsense development wid buhari

Idi0ts
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by MichaelSokoto(m): 9:34am On Feb 19, 2015
TippyTop:
Pass grades are not bad, Buhari who wants to be president has no certificate at all.

Always thank God for small mercies.

Jonnyboy till 2019
Keep goin, as anythin u do or say won't happen until u fix d Great Generals' name into it cool

Smh
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by jessetom(m): 9:39am On Feb 19, 2015
A is still 70% and first class is still 4.5cgpa.... But my school used the 45% pass mark last session na?... That's how they take bacco bag take pack carry over give people...lol
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by greatestman(m): 9:39am On Feb 19, 2015
heykims:
I hold no objection with this new development simply because I don't even expect any graduate with a pass to present his/her certificate anywhere but only to show off in the midst of mediocrities to have passed through a university..
My question now is that considering D is now the pass mark at 45% which means the minimum accepted CPGA is now 2 of 5, what's d fate of a student with a CGPA below this cut off point, (withdrawal from the university?) or they need to get to the final year before the final CGPA is assessed and then denied a degree certificate?

My suggestion:
Anybody with a CGPA below the minimum required should be made to repeat that class/level until he/she improves on the grade

You over make sense. Good bless your thinking faculty.
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by hadura29(m): 9:44am On Feb 19, 2015
rashygenius:
Dem sha no cancel 2.2

DTS d hope of a common man

My Brother you dey dre.... Na draw sure pass...play draw if you no fit win....

Meanwhile... They should fix the education sector first....
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by darex1: 9:51am On Feb 19, 2015
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by Nobody: 9:53am On Feb 19, 2015
NONSENSE... SO UPON HOW HARD STUDENTS STUDY EVERYDAY AND NIGHTS, BUYING BOOKS,TUTORIALS, JUMPING FROM CLASS TO CLASS (BOTH FIXED CLASS AND NON FIXED). ALL THESE NA THEORIES OH, NO PRACTICALS, NO FACILITIES, INSTEAD NA UNDER SUN OR RAIN, WITH BOKO HARAM MOSQUITOES AT NIGHTS, USING THE LITTLE FEEDING MONEY TO GIVE WICKED LECTURERS,
THEY STILL WANT STUDENTS TO WORK HARDER.... THERE IS GOD OH
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by FredHandsome(m): 9:53am On Feb 19, 2015
Does it mean that NUC didn't consult with school managements prior to coming up with this policy? Cos it's ridiculous that some schools are objecting to it. They ought to av met and a consensus reached! You didn't upgrade equipment and quality of teaching, yet you are quick to raise the grading system. That's nonsense!
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by haul: 9:58am On Feb 19, 2015
BlackPeni5:
Only lazy people will not support the removal
I'm a thirdclass graduate,I'm black and proud. Cruz I get third class for school I'm less human right? Kudos to the goods grades, but it doesn't make one less human, I know what I am now and I've always set my goals. It all about having a plan ahead and God establishing it.
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by BlackPeni5: 10:00am On Feb 19, 2015
haul:
I'm a thirdclass graduate,I'm black and proud. Cruz I get third class for school I'm less human right? Kudos to the goods grades, but it doesn't make one less human, I know what I am now and I've always set my goals. It all about having a plan ahead and God establishing it.

The fact that you were lazy when you were in school doesn't make you less human too. A lazy human being is still a human being. Don't get it twisted with your lazy brains.
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by lawrenzez(m): 10:04am On Feb 19, 2015
Covenant University has been operating on dis fundamental base since inception, not new to me tho cus I'm use to it.

Only like pls dnt hate
#iRepCU

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by haul: 10:06am On Feb 19, 2015
BlackPeni5:

The fact that you were lazy when you were in school doesn't make you less human too. A lazy human being is still a human being. Don't get it twisted with your lazy brains.
dude I won't stress it with you, have a nice day.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by izsmike: 10:18am On Feb 19, 2015
teemanbastos:
mad..even d 4.5cgpa..man dy struggle...dy wan kill person ni?!
Uni. Lyk Futa wunt produce 1st klass again niyen o.
lol. Me sef na futarian
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by geedot: 10:34am On Feb 19, 2015
lawrenzez:
Covenant University has been operating on dis fundamental base since inception, not new to me tho cus I'm use to it.

Only like pls dnt hate
#iRepCU
Are уσυ talking about Covenant that gives уσυ the chance to re-sit for уσυr C.O courses before the end of session(instead of spilling it over to the next session)?! Jυƨτ saying though..
When we re deliberating about issues like this, abeg Private secondary schools unis no follow!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by GodsKate: 10:36am On Feb 19, 2015
Don't be stranded, keep up with news/events/business/research/... at lower cost.
Mtn&Etisalat DATA BUNDLES are available @cheaper rates for your smart phones (androids, windows, java, symbian, iPhones, BB Z10, BB Q3,...) and via modems.
VALID FOR 30DAYS.

MTN;
1GB - N1,200 (or 1,300 MTN airtime)
2GB - N2,400 (or 2,500 MTN airtime)
3GB - N3,600 (or 3,800 MTN airtime)
5GB - N6,000 (or 6,200 MTN airtime)

ETISALAT:
250MB - N400 (or 500 etisalat or mtn airtime)
500MB - N700 (or 900 etisalat or mtn airtime)
650MB - N800 (or 1,000 etisalat or mtn airtime)
750mb -N1000 (or 1,200 etisalat or mtn airtime)
1GB - N1,400 (or 1,500 etisalat or mtn airtime)
1.5gb is N1800 (or 2000 etisalat or mtn airtime)
2GB - N2,600 (or 2,800 etisalat or mtn airtime)
3GB - N3,900 (no airtime option)

Your line is credited with data automatically after payment.

EITHER make your payment via bank deposit or ATM/online transfer OR pay via recharge card: (see differences in price list)

for order and inquiries,
Call/SMS/Whatspp
GK on 08032719286 or
HC on 08033756845 to order.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why / OAU-Ife Students Thread: Great IFE! / NOUN GST 107/707/807 (Good Study Guide) Questions And Answers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.