Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,351 members, 7,815,717 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:06 PM

Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade (28909 Views)

The Cancellation Of Post Utme, A Blessing To Our Educational System. / Photo: See How A Mathematician Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 / NUC Abolishes Award Of Pass Degree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by psyqs(m): 10:47am On Feb 19, 2015
They should improve the standards of schools first before thinking of this
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by dhabeautyjas(f): 10:51am On Feb 19, 2015
msmon:
A platform to encourage examination malpractices and other vices. Do you think those girls will agree with this?

what do you mean Mr?
there are men that also elongate their necks copying girls in exam halls.
Mind you sex is not a factor of being brilliant and intelligent

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by msmon(m): 10:54am On Feb 19, 2015
I mention vices because those girls will be more willing to 'use what they have to get what they want'. I suppose u understand what I mean?

dhabeautyjas:

what do you mean Mr?
there are men that also elongate their necks copying girls in exam halls.
Mind you sex is not a factor of being brilliant and intelligent
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by Holuwathoby(m): 11:33am On Feb 19, 2015
swimcash:
lazy student kip complainin. y after 4 to 5yrs, na pass u go graduate wit n u go call urself graduate. lol na wa o......#teamscrappass
swimcash:
lazy student kip complainin. y after 4 to 5yrs, na pass u go graduate wit n u go call urself graduate. lol na wa o......#teamscrappass
swimcash:
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by Holuwathoby(m): 11:38am On Feb 19, 2015
True
hassymo5:
NIGERIANS ALWAYS LOOKING AT CETTIFICATE RATHER THAN TALENT AND CAPABILITY!!!!
SCHOOL DROP OUT FOR DEVELOP COUNTRY ARE LEAVING LARGE WITH INNOVATIONS ,,WE ARE HERE CERTIFICATE THIS,CERTIFICATE THAT..
HOW MANY FIRST CLASS FOR THESE COUNTRY HAS INNOVATED SOMETHING.. FROM MY ANGLE NON....
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by Movesz(m): 11:45am On Feb 19, 2015
heykims:
I hold no objection with this new development simply because I don't even expect any graduate with a pass to present his/her certificate anywhere but only to show off in the midst of mediocrities to have passed through a university..
My question now is that considering D is now the pass mark at 45% which means the minimum accepted CPGA is now 2 of 5, what's d fate of a student with a CGPA below this cut off point, (withdrawal from the university?) or they need to get to the final year before the final CGPA is assessed and then denied a degree certificate?

My suggestion:
Anybody with a CGPA below the minimum required should be made to repeat that class/level until he/she improves on the grade

Lol...what is the difference between secondary school and university if you have to repeat level..

Why do people spill?

Guy you funny oo..

Well I think with the new development they should start summer classes for people who has carry over .
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by Akprof(m): 11:51am On Feb 19, 2015
When other areas are left untouched, they are now deliberating on issues dat has nothing to do with the student performance when the lecturers are even cruel
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by victoristic(m): 11:55am On Feb 19, 2015
High or low gp's,first class or pass,we are all equal,under certain conditions,well either way you decide to view it,just a necessasy condition,do not actually guarantee success.well i must confess majority of our youth fold lack the reading culture,we should also question the admission process and the whole system.*my judgement*scrappassgrade*
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by Akprof(m): 11:55am On Feb 19, 2015
Akprof:
When other areas are left untouched, they are now deliberating on issues dat has nothing to do with the student performance when the lecturers are even cruel
[i][/i][quote][/quote][color=#000099][/color]
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by babs01(m): 12:00pm On Feb 19, 2015
They should cancel 2.1(second class upper) too
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by heykims(m): 12:18pm On Feb 19, 2015
Movesz:

Lol...what is the difference between secondary school and university if you have to repeat level..

Why do people spill?

Guy you funny oo..

Well I think with the new development they should start summer classes for people who has carry over .
So u mean students of medicine, nursing departments ain't ideal undergraduates because they repeat classes when they don't meet the minimum standard set?
Guy, there's nothing glorious about u by being a student in the university but for what u present at the end of the whole exercise which is ur grade.
If one isn't fit academically to advance from one class to the other, he should be made to go over the courses again., that's discipline and will inject sense seriousness into the brains of those affected.
It is ur personal perspective that the difference between a secondary school and a university is automatic promotion. Btw even in most public secondary schools that I know, they don't repeat classes.
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by akatekpe(m): 12:19pm On Feb 19, 2015
ogawisdom:
Good move but lecturers without PhD shld nt b allowed to lecture. D minimum degree to lecture shld b PhD. Assistant lecturer position shld b abolished. Those already employed without PhD shld b given max of 5yrs to earn PhD or b flushed out. Employing masters holders as lecturers shld b stopped immediately.

Also university facilities for research n learning shld b improved as well.
See ur life.where do you expect fresh graduates who want to lecture to start their career from?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by Agalasis(m): 12:25pm On Feb 19, 2015
heykims:
I hold no objection with this new development simply because I don't even expect any graduate with a pass to present his/her certificate anywhere but only to show off in the midst of mediocrities to have passed through a university..
My question now is that considering D is now the pass mark at 45% which means the minimum accepted CPGA is now 2 of 5, what's d fate of a student with a CGPA below this cut off point, (withdrawal from the university?) or they need to get to the final year before the final CGPA is assessed and then denied a degree certificate?

My suggestion:
Anybody with a CGPA below the minimum required should be made to repeat that class/level until he/she improves on the grade
I think d minimum accepted CGPA wl nw be 1.5 and not 2.5.
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by Movesz(m): 1:28pm On Feb 19, 2015
heykims:

So u mean students of medicine, nursing departments ain't ideal undergraduates because they repeat classes when they don't meet the minimum standard set?
Guy, there's nothing glorious about u by being a student in the university but for what u present at the end of the whole exercise which is ur grade.
If one isn't fit academically to advance from one class to the other, he should be made to go over the courses again., that's discipline and will inject sense seriousness into the brains of those affected.
It is ur personal perspective that the difference between a secondary school and a university is automatic promotion. Btw even in most public secondary schools that I know, they don't repeat classes.

Hmm.. Never heard of medicine/nursing students repeating classes..

If they fail in some courses they change their departments for them automatically...

The reason why students spill in school is just like an additional year/time for them to make up for some courses they had carry overs.....

lol...secondary school and college are two different institutions and there programmes are quite different..

In secondary school when you do not pass reach the required subjects you are either promoted on trial or made to repeat as the case maybe...

While in the university when you do not reach the minimum CGPA you will be advised to withdraw or me withered from the school..

In the university you do not repeat a class(level) because you failed a course..provisions are been made by the school management which allow you to add and drop courses at the next level not repeating the level..

If your carry overs are too much for you to clare during your normal school year...you spill (additional year ) for you to clare them....

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by doyinofficial(m): 2:15pm On Feb 19, 2015
[quote author=akatekpe post=30877650] See ur life.where do you expect fresh graduates who want to lecture to start their career from? Welcome development lecturers needs to possess degree of the highest degree. U dig
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by anigbajumo(m): 2:21pm On Feb 19, 2015
A student wif 1.5cgpa gonna stil comment here in favour of d move.... Una don die vnish
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by Profeme: 2:36pm On Feb 19, 2015
This is a call for students to sit up and face their their studies than get involve in things that affect their academics negatively.
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by excel001(m): 2:45pm On Feb 19, 2015
This will in no way increase the standard of education, different bodies in nigeria now have the notion that if you stay for a long time without making a policy you look worthless and stagnant. I think this is the driving force behind this policy not to better our education. I don't support poor grades but prefer it to exam malpractice, selling of your body to lecturers, and sorting of courses to get good grades, believe it or leave it, most honest students come out with poor grades while their counterparts are enjoying what i call negative success. If NUC have no good idea to throw to the table, they should fold their hands and think with their brains besides how many of their children are in Nigeria universities.
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by matrix4(m): 2:49pm On Feb 19, 2015
ogawisdom:
Good move but lecturers without PhD shld nt b allowed to lecture. D minimum degree to lecture shld b PhD. Assistant lecturer position shld b abolished. Those already employed without PhD shld b given max of 5yrs to earn PhD or b flushed out. Employing masters holders as lecturers shld b stopped immediately.

I totally disagree with you as regards Ph.D being set as minimum requirement to lecture.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by ogawisdom(m): 2:57pm On Feb 19, 2015
matrix4:
I totally disagree with you as regards Ph.D being set as minimum requirement to lecture.

There is nothing to disagree abt dt is d rule already. It is jst difficult to implement in totality bc of insufficient PhD holders to man our universities for nw. Lecturing in uni starts wen one gets a PhD. A uni is rated by d percentage of its academic staff dt ve PhD d higher d better
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by ndubueze92(m): 4:03pm On Feb 19, 2015
Nigeria is one country where great homage is paid to papers without scrutinise on how it was obtained... often times favouritism comes to fore,i support d abolition but then what next ?no future viable projects towards d academic sector! very sad.
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by dscript: 7:07pm On Feb 19, 2015
geedot:
Are уσυ talking about Covenant that gives уσυ the chance to re-sit for уσυr C.O courses before the end of session(instead of spilling it over to the next session)?! Jυƨτ saying though..
When we re deliberating about issues like this, abeg Private secondary schools unis no follow!
ur head d der!!
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by Nobody: 7:37pm On Feb 19, 2015
geedot:
Are уσυ talking about Covenant that gives уσυ the chance to re-sit for уσυr C.O courses before the end of session(instead of spilling it over to the next session)?! Jυƨτ saying though..
When we re deliberating about issues like this, abeg Private secondary schools unis no follow!

It is rather unfortunate to hear you speak like this. It speaks volumes of the "University" you come from. When people like you make derogatory statements like this online, then come back to list favouritism, nepotism and tribalism among the ills in Nigeria, one is forced to wonder, what is the true definition of hypocrisy?
I am a student of Covenant University and I am a personal witness to the number of people who failed to graduate simply because they carried over a GST course. It is rather unfair to say that a person who attended a University accredited and licensed by NUC, COREN and other accrediting bodies attended a "private secondary school" simply because the said University is not a secular one. It is absolutely the height of delusion to label the best University in West Africa ( That fact is recognized by two separate ranking bodies, Webometrics and Repositories) a "private secondary school". One is the forced to question your Understanding of the term "University". Well, convincing you isnt the essence of this reply, but educating on the basic virtues of acceptance, tolerance and accommodation. I believe Nigeria would be a lot more better if you imbibe the aforementioned virtues.
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by geedot: 8:13pm On Feb 19, 2015
mrryon:

It is rather unfortunate to hear you speak like this. It speaks volumes of the "University" you come from. When people like you make derogatory statements like this online, then come back to list favouritism, nepotism and tribalism among the ills in Nigeria, one is forced to wonder, what is the true definition of hypocrisy?
I am a student of Covenant University and I am a personal witness to the number of people who failed to graduate simply because they carried over a GST course. It is rather unfair to say that a person who attended a University accredited and licensed by NUC, COREN and other accrediting bodies attended a "private secondary school" simply because the said University is not a secular one. It is absolutely the height of delusion to label the best University in West Africa ( That fact is recognized by two separate ranking bodies, Webometrics and Repositories) a "private secondary school". One is the forced to question your Understanding of the term "University". Well, convincing you isnt the essence of this reply, but educating on the basic virtues of acceptance, tolerance and accommodation. I believe Nigeria would be a lot more better if you imbibe the aforementioned virtues.
A̶̲̥̅̊ℓℓ these for me?
Ƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇orry bro if ℓ offended уσυ with my comment, ℓ was only been sarcastic, my girlfriend even schools there!
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by Lnrprince(m): 8:47pm On Feb 19, 2015
some set of people are saying that western education is a sin AND some set are still try all there possible best to make it heard for the youth, Nigerians should watch the chairman of NUC cos it seems boko haram are now in another form,I.e trying to make education more hard that youth will be scared to go to school,cos he or she may end up not graduating.
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by 2Cents: 9:37pm On Feb 19, 2015
Oga wisdom! na wa ooo cheesy
ogawisdom:

Oga wisdom! na wa ooo..... Please where is the wisdom in what you have posted above? Till now, I never knew shisha now come in skunk flavours!

Where in the advanced world have you seen a University where all lecturers are Ph.D holders?

Park well!
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by dharn10(m): 3:13am On Feb 20, 2015
I think we are missing out something here, beyond the pass mark and third class grade.... there are some course the one write and one will he praying for E and yet the person will finish with a cgpa of 2.1 or there about, in this case any score less the 45 will be carryover which is a big enemy to gp

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by juman(m): 1:00pm On Feb 20, 2015
The minimum suppose to be 50%.
Re: Nigerian Universities Divided Over The Cancellation Of ‘Pass’ Grade by simdam500(m): 1:56pm On Feb 20, 2015
Present sir!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

OAU-Ife Students Thread: Great IFE! / Do U Feel That Ur University Degree Is A Waste Of Time And Why / NOUN GST 107/707/807 (Good Study Guide) Questions And Answers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.