Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,957 members, 7,817,811 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:10 PM

Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? (15678 Views)

Technology Will Be Deployed To Fight Crime In Kogi State (photos) / Soldiers With Padlocked Mouths Deployed For Election @ Oshodi / How Can Sick Soldiers Be In Full Regalia In Hospital Bed? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by olami100(m): 1:07pm On Feb 20, 2015
It will do more good if soldiers are deploy to various state to act as monitoring agents in this 2015 election.. But the question here is.. Are the soldiers ready? Are they well equip enough to stand against any vehement catastrophe from any impending danger? Or insurgency?
The government should do every means to equip them, because it will go long way to help

1 Like

Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by ozodimgba(m): 1:09pm On Feb 20, 2015
of course, yes is d answer.
Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by OgologoDimkpa: 1:09pm On Feb 20, 2015
Oildichotomy:
In the north yes
There should be soldiers everywhere just because of APC members who love violence embarassed

APC = Violence.
We should not be taken unawares

1 Like

Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by SKORROR(m): 1:09pm On Feb 20, 2015
In my own opinion the Nigerian Army should be deployed to all the pooling units nationwide so as to prevent the electorate from being molest by some political hallelujah boys.....
Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by tkwo: 1:10pm On Feb 20, 2015
jesse8048:
Police and civil defense without gun versus thugs with gun and weapons. If I dnt see military men around am nt going anywhere close to cast any vote. Guess some people are trying to hijack ballot boxes.
i guess we have lots of issues in this country! angry what are the functions of police and civil defense if not to protect us! a solder is not meant to be in the street . this happens only when there is serious unrest in the country. i am not against posting solders to bokoharam troubled states but solders should stay off street of all peaceful states. Giving this kind of work to solder means u are making them to see vulnerabilities which they can explore and take over the government.

please let keep solders off the street! angry
Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by Prisca0ge(f): 1:10pm On Feb 20, 2015
I woulda like the army to mount roads and highways on election day but this one wey Goatlock don politicize the military so eh, I dey fear mek no go use army to rig election o.. But on the other hand or leg, all these PDP touts can come and be snatching ballot boxes o.. The matter get as e be o wit k leg sef.

1 Like

Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by kunle75(m): 1:12pm On Feb 20, 2015
jorlons:
As a Honourable member of Nairaland house of parliament representing APC zones.

I've to say this decision ordinarily should be NO. As the primary functions of the NA does not include providing internal security during elections. Also recent involvements of the NA in partisan politics brings much fears to the heart of opposition parties as to how the army will conduct themselves @ each polling unit during the election.

At the same time the Police and other civil defence agencies are almost useless to the Nigerian society which leaves us with no other choice.

In light of these challenges, the assistance of the NA is required to fortify the security of the electorates. Afterall the Life of Nigerians is more important.

However, the number of military personnel deployed should be far lesser compared to other security agencies. The DHQ should be smart enough not to weaken our defence against BokoHaram.

You have said it all.................my thought exactly
Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by denedene(m): 1:12pm On Feb 20, 2015
we definitely need soldiers.... was it d police buhari used in his war against indiscipline?
Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by Popemax(m): 1:12pm On Feb 20, 2015
We need soilders plz .....Police can't be trusted......
Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by 2tek: 1:17pm On Feb 20, 2015
yes. soldiers are greatly needed.
Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by tuniski: 1:28pm On Feb 20, 2015
We will demonstrate across the country sshould any politician try to stop the deployment of soldiers! We the masses are the ones under threat from thugs and urchins especially in the volatile regions in the north! Soldiers or no election oooo!!
Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by sho0369: 1:31pm On Feb 20, 2015
please I want to ask Nigerians, is it better to agree with a particular political party or o save guard the lives of Nigerian.
Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by etrader(m): 1:32pm On Feb 20, 2015
I don't support sending military to monitor election... To enable then rig in favour of PDP. See what happen in Ekiti. Military rigging.

Also, if court law is not obey it can lead into chaos and can truncate our democracy. Remember northerner will vote for GMB massively.

And it is only go they had...

Sai Baba sai Buhari

1 Like

Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by Nobody: 1:33pm On Feb 20, 2015
I, Martins301, representing APC constituency in this honorable Land hereby make this submission in respect to the subject matter.

Even though the constitution says the military shouldn't be used during elections, this forth coming election should be treated as an exception. The military should be used to provide a sense of security not only for election materials but also for voters and electoral officers.

I make this submission with the hope that the military will not be partisan and used to systematically rig the election in favour of any political party on the d-day as was revealed in the Ekiti Election Scandal.

Honestly, I have lost hope in the NPF and I can't trust them to secure anything on that day apart from their own head.

1 Like

Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by maestroferddi: 1:35pm On Feb 20, 2015
They should pay no attention to APC and their anarchical dispositions.

That was how they were making all sorts of noises when the election was postponed. They even connived with their foreign collaborators to write all manners of uncharitable articles and attract bad press for the government.

Now that the facts have emerged that INEC could have plunged the country into chaos had they gone forward with the ill-prepared election, most APC supporters are now eating their words.

Jonathan should exercise the requisite political will and influence to ensure that our troops are drafted to provide security cover during the elections. He shouldn't give in to APC blackmail and sinister motives.

Most of the politicians opposing the deployment of soldiers have their families ensconced in various foreign countries. All that matter to them is a blind lunge to grab power. They don't care about the safety of ordinary Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by Ahmeduana(m): 1:36pm On Feb 20, 2015
Kolade354:
A Resounding NO- If we are not ripe for democracy then the millitary should take over..............Federal govt is just using those securrity operative to harass opposition party,This happened in my state osun-state and its bound to happen in this general election.
TYPICAL JAN-JA-WEED! WHAT THEY CANNOT EAT WITH THEIR MOUTH THEY WILL RATHER DESTROY IT WITH THEIR LEGS SO NO ANY OTHER PERSON CAN EAT IT, EITHER UNA LIKE OR UNA NO LIKE NA 100 BATTALIONS WE GO SEND GO EACH STATE OF THE SOUTHWEST, NORTHWEST AND NORTHEAST!
Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by Nobody: 1:41pm On Feb 20, 2015
snaz...
Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by Ahmeduana(m): 1:43pm On Feb 20, 2015
Kolade354:
A Resounding NO- If we are not ripe for democracy then the millitary should take over..............Federal govt is just using those securrity operative to harass opposition party,This happened in my state osun-state and its bound to happen in this general election.
IT HAPPENED IN YOUR STATE AND YOU STILL WHEN AHEAD AND WON THE ELECTION?

1 Like

Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by tkwo: 1:43pm On Feb 20, 2015
SKORROR:
In my own opinion the Nigerian Army should be deployed to all the pooling units nationwide so as to prevent the electorate from being molest by some political hallelujah boys.....

if police is not strong enough to protect us, then we need to address the reasons why they cant. we need to let everybody know their roles and duties. Also ensure those duties are done when required.
Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by olayinkaj2(m): 1:44pm On Feb 20, 2015
Ordinarily, soldiers are not meant to but because of violence they can be deployed to monitor election as long as they would not intimidate and scare people and act the movie as we saw in Ekiti.
Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by charlos14: 1:47pm On Feb 20, 2015
These soldiers are also citizens and if their presence helps the democratic process, Then yes, (peacekeeping)Soldiers should be deployed.
APC = Allow Political Cheating grin
Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by ZUBY77(m): 1:47pm On Feb 20, 2015
No, Girls Scout should be deployed. Especially in the North East.
Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by jamillion: 1:49pm On Feb 20, 2015
A case of robberry occurred yesterday in okene part of kogi state wch led to an exchange of bullet btw d armed robbers and soldiers, soldiers later gain ground and killed some of them an held one as hostage, upon undressing d hostage it was discovered dat he ware a police uniform confirming d fact dat the robbers ar policemen.
Now, hw do I trust police with my precious life? No soldiers! No vote

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by Nobody: 1:52pm On Feb 20, 2015
Yes for safety of lives not war
Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by Etinosajay(m): 1:53pm On Feb 20, 2015
amazingqueen:
I don't know APCs problem but no way police can ensure security with how volatile everywhere is now with violent thugs everywhere. D presence of soldiers gives me a sense of security to vote. I guess they will scare people that have ulterior motives. #nosecuritynovote.

So who ensures security to the general public? The army? Nonsense

Why don't you call the army when robbers raid banks or your house?

Your statement above is effectively rubbishing the importance of Nigerian Police force

1 Like

Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by Shubbylee(m): 1:57pm On Feb 20, 2015
caselessogbuagu:
me run? You don't know me. *in 2pac's voice* No man alive ever witnessed the trouble I survive.

Ehn!! oshey!! Mr RAMBO VAN DAMNE!!
Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by simonsayz: 2:02pm On Feb 20, 2015
ochejoseph:

Nairaland Parliament 

The All progressive congress has just written to Jega and President Jonathan about its opposition to the use of soldiers to maintain Law and order during elections citing the judgement of a Federal High court and another case on appeal!

The issues for determination amongst Nairaland parliamentarians and critical stake holders  today is as follows 

1.Can the civil defence and  police which the APC is proposing ensure safety of lives and property during elections in places like   in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa , Bauchi, Gombe and Kano ?

Although the NPF and the NSCDC are not capable alone to to ensure safety of life and properties in the fort coming Elections simply because we all knw what the police is capable of doing...
they simply dnt fall to command...so to this 1st pont dear nairalanders the military alone is capable to over see and maintain law and order in this coming election.

2. Does the presence of soldiers patrolling the street during elections scare voters or assure voters of their safety? 

Sure wen I see soldiers patrolling I will be very rest assured of my safety because I am clean...they can't take bribe from me if I am having multiple voters card like the police will do the military fall always to command.

3. Considering the violent nature the supporters of certain political party,  is it possible to ensure a violence free elections and post election harmony  without involving the Military at all? 

4. Does the airlift and logistics support provided to INEC by the Nigerian Air force constitute a Violation of the constitution?

This point is fantastic kudos to the NAF

We are all stakeholders in the Nigerian Project. So let's provide answers to these questions and discuss these issues and by the Grace of God the 2015 general elections will be Violence Free 

I welcome us all and

God Bless Nigeria.
Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by slindon: 2:02pm On Feb 20, 2015
i wonder why this APC SHAME GMB did not want the soldiers around, but the truth is that they have felled.

NO SOLDIERS NO VOTE

APC SHAME.there evil will turn against them

GEJ Till 2019
Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by rusher14: 2:04pm On Feb 20, 2015
[b]what is the need for a constitution if it would never be adhered to?

Why the Law Courts if we adjudicate on matters as it suits us?

For me this matter isn't debatable and it certainly goes against our constitution and court rulings.

From the Ekiti elections and it's fallout, one may be tempted to say the ruling party and the military are in cahoots.

The use of soldiers for me spells a truncation of the constitution and democracy all in one.

A truncation of the constitution also means we have an impasse as the democratically elected leader has also forfeited his role as president.

One cannot simply apply the constitution at one's whim. It is either sacrosanct or not.

In a nutshell, NO SOLDIERS.

We have all other forms of defence strategies which includes but not limited to the police, civil defence, man o'war, etc.

If there's a general breakdown of law and order far beyond the capacity of the aforementioned one might then consider the use of the military as a LAST RESORT.
[/b]
Re: Should Soldiers Be Deployed For The 2015 Elections? by Nobody: 2:06pm On Feb 20, 2015
They three ethnic groups of Nigeria have set themselves to fight to each other if their supportive candidate fails.

All they politicians has prepared themselves to creat a coas if them fail this year election, despite their pretending speeches on social networks of Nigeria.

I suggest that this year election should be pend till next year so that all parts of Nigeria can remain cheer.

There must surely be a great disaster or lose if 2015 election eventualy hold on march, even though all Nigeria forces are release to protect or guide every person's compound.
This year election is unlike other years,
This year election's greediness is much,
People that has died cos of this year election are much, and people that may die if this year election hold will be much.

Please protest against this year election***

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Boko Haram Attacks Yobe School, Three Students Killed, 20 Injured / State Of Flooded Makurdi Road This Morning (pics) / Nigeria @ 63: No World Leader Invited, Says FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.