Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,419 members, 7,815,944 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:43 PM

One Good Thing About Windows Vista - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / One Good Thing About Windows Vista (755 Views)

BBM For PC Download, Blackberry Messenger For Windows7/8/vista Computer / Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance / Hp Deskjet D2360 Driver For Windows Vista (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

One Good Thing About Windows Vista by Boondoggle(m): 12:38am On Jan 07, 2009
Lol! I wonder how many cats curiosity will kill  grin . . .  Read on.

Anyways, I finally ran into a cool feature on Vista that really tickled my fancy. . .

While trying to sort out why vista has all of a sudden decided (remember that O/S has a mind of it's own ) not to recognise my cell phone via USB port any more, I went into control panel  and after seaching fruitlessly (as usual with vista) for the source of the problem, I sat back in my executive chair and kept starring at the PC thinking of what to do with Vista and the lorry load of problems & pains it has brought to my computing experience. All of a sudden, my eyes rested on an applet with micrcophone icon within control panel; it is named SPEECH RECOGNITION (SR). For the same reason you are reading this thread, I decided to try it out before shuting for the day. My desktop clock at that time was pointing to 12:35am. Within minutes, I was hooked to this cool feature as I have started talking to my computer. Now, it is not 100% perfect but it is the best I have seen so far. Although I have not tried out a lot but this one got me thoroughly impressed by the advancement in SR. All I did to get to speed with the SR was to take the getting started tutorial and that was it! I can navigate my windows by just saying what I see on the screen, switching back and forth from program to program is as simple as saying "switch to  ,   .", opening and typing and editing in MS word is now fun as I don't have to type with my fingers again and many more. Guess what? I finally hit my bed by 1:43am with a changed mind to still keep Vista for as long as the SR interests me.

So folks, give it a trial and drop your rating here. I rate the overall experience 80%. You may want to tell us of any other SR s/w that you believe is better than this.

Shalom cool
Re: One Good Thing About Windows Vista by netotse(m): 3:03am On Jan 07, 2009
lol, bin wondering whether to try it out or not. . . do u use the mic on ur laptop or an external one?
Re: One Good Thing About Windows Vista by Hesperus(m): 3:24am On Jan 07, 2009
I tried the voice recognition thing, and I was quite impressed too. Tho I have to keep training the computer to further recognise my voice. I must say it was fun as well.

netotse:

lol, bin wondering whether to try it out or not. . . do u use the mic on ur laptop or an external one?
Anyone will do. When setting up, you will be prompted and you can then select whichever you prefer.
Re: One Good Thing About Windows Vista by lynxnoon(m): 5:37pm On Jan 07, 2009
hmmmmmmmmm sound interesting wil try it out wink wink
Re: One Good Thing About Windows Vista by kunle75(m): 7:10pm On Jan 07, 2009
hhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm dis may also be my own 1st experience this yr,tx for that info bro.
Re: One Good Thing About Windows Vista by netotse(m): 10:42pm On Jan 07, 2009
why am apprehensive is due to the fact that using the inbuilt mic will result in there being a lot of ambient noise. . . dont want to have to waste my time(even tho i have a lot of it on my hands)

(1) (Reply)

Accre Potable Mini Notebook (excluding Cd-rom) On Sale / Usa Ip Address+ Fast Web Surfing Software+compression(all-in-one) / Computer Raised Floors Available

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.