Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,521 members, 7,826,961 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:01 AM

Can You Kill Your Son If God Tell You To? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can You Kill Your Son If God Tell You To? (2249 Views)

3 Things That Can Kill Your Christian Faith / What They Won't Tell You At The Abortion Clinic. / Why Won't God Tell Me The Next Step? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Kill Your Son If God Tell You To? by johnydon22(m): 7:55am On Feb 20, 2015
Ok everybody is commending Abraham who almost murdered his son because God asked him to, even though it is wrong to kill your son..

They also think Jesophath is justified for using his daughter as a burnt offering to Yahweh cus he made a promise.

Now my question is
Can You Kill To Prove Your Faith In God
Re: Can You Kill Your Son If God Tell You To? by zieraw2005(m): 7:58am On Feb 20, 2015
why not if it guarantees both of us heaven.
Re: Can You Kill Your Son If God Tell You To? by johnydon22(m): 8:09am On Feb 20, 2015
zieraw2005:
why not if it guarantees both of us heaven.

Really? shocked
Re: Can You Kill Your Son If God Tell You To? by asadike(f): 8:14am On Feb 20, 2015
God can only ask a man to do that. Come and see what women go through during labor na him baba loke go still ask me to kill my only son. Oboy, na to kill me first. Am a christian but am just being honest here.
Re: Can You Kill Your Son If God Tell You To? by johnydon22(m): 8:16am On Feb 20, 2015
asadike:
God can only ask a man to do that. Come and see what women go through during labor na him baba loke go still ask me to kill my only son. Oboy, na to kill me first. Am a christian but am just being honest here.

So it is ok for the man to do it right?
Re: Can You Kill Your Son If God Tell You To? by asadike(f): 8:17am On Feb 20, 2015
johnydon22:

So it is ok for the man to do it right?
I mean men are more strong hearted in dis case
Re: Can You Kill Your Son If God Tell You To? by Expressions(m): 8:27am On Feb 20, 2015
johnydon22:
Ok everybody is commending Abraham who almost murdered his son because God asked him to, even though it is wrong to kill your son..

They also think Jesophath is justified for using his daughter as a burnt offering to Yahweh cus he made a promise.

Now my question is

There's no justification for offering a human being as a burnt offering!

The intervention in Abraham's case says it all. The lesson I got from Abraham's case is, "Thou shalt have no other gods before Me!"- Anything that comes between you and your God becomes your god be it money, wife, child, materialism, a craving/propensity of any sort.

People in the old, when they came to know about the One God, offered burnt offerings of animals to Him out ignorance and tradition.

But through a prophet, the Will of God regarding this was made clear:
Isaiah 1:11 To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices unto me? saith the LORD: I am full of the burnt offerings of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he goats.

Anyone who kills to please God has gone against His Will, he shall have to reap what he's sown.

1 Like

Re: Can You Kill Your Son If God Tell You To? by johnydon22(m): 8:36am On Feb 20, 2015
Expressions:

There's no justification for offering a human being as a burnt offering!

The intervention in Abraham's case says it all. The lesson I got from Abraham's case is, "Thou shalt have no other gods before Me!"- Anything that comes between you and your God becomes your god be it money, wife, child, materialism, a craving/propensity of any sort.

People in the old, when they came to know about the One God, offered burnt offerings of animals to Him out ignorance and tradition.

But through a prophet, the Will of God regarding this was made clear:
Isaiah 1:11 To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices unto me? saith the LORD: I am full of the burnt offerings of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he goats.

Anyone who kills to please God has gone against His Will, he shall have to reap what he's sown.

So if God ask you to kill your son you wont?
Re: Can You Kill Your Son If God Tell You To? by oaroloye(m): 12:56pm On Feb 20, 2015
I believe that Abraham failed the test God set him: he should have said:

"I love my son; let me sacrifice myself, instead!"

The average ignorant Gentile will be completely ignorant of the association between God and Abraham.

. GENESIS 17:1-8.

AND when Abram was ninety years old and nine,
The LORD appeared unto Abram,
and said unto him,
"I am The Almighty God;
walk before Me, and be thou perfect.
2. "And I will make My Covenant between Me and thee,
and will multiply thee exceedingly."
3. And Abram fell on his face: and God talked with him, saying,
4. "As for Me, behold, My Covenant is with thee,
and thou shalt be a father of many nations.
5. "Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram,
but thy name shall be Abraham;
for a father of many nations have I made thee.
6. "And I will make thee exceeding fruitful,
and I will make nations of thee,
and kings shall come out of thee.
7. "And I will establish My Covenant between Me and thee
and thy seed after thee in their generations
for an Everlasting Covenant,
to be a God unto thee,
and to thy seed after thee.
8. "And I will give unto thee, and to thy seed after thee,
the land wherein thou art a stranger,
all the land of Canaan, for an Everlasting Possession;
and I will be their God."

They would not know that Isaac was not a normal child, at all!

. GENESIS 17:15-21.

15. And God said unto Abraham,
"As for Sarai thy wife, thou shalt not call her name Sarai,
but Sarah shall her name be.
16. "And I will bless her, and give thee a son also of her:
yea, I will bless her, and she shall be a mother of nations;
kings of people shall be of her."
17. Then Abraham fell upon his face,
and laughed, and said in his heart,
"Shall a child be born unto him that is an hundred years old?
and shall Sarah, that is ninety years old, bear?"
18. And Abraham said unto God,
"O that Ishmael might live before thee!"
19. And God said,
"Sarah thy wife shall bear thee a son indeed;
and thou shalt call his name Isaac:
and I will establish My Covenant with him
for an Everlasting Covenant,
and with his seed after him.
20. "And as for Ishmael, I have heard thee:
Behold, I have blessed him, and will make him fruitful,
and will multiply him exceedingly;
twelve princes shall he beget,
and I will make him a great nation.
21. "But My Covenant will I establish with Isaac,
which Sarah shall bear unto thee
at this set time in the next year."

ABRAHAM CONSIDERED Isaac his God's property, so that, if He wanted his life ended, it was His for the asking.

However, he also knew that God had Promised to make his descendants through Isaac mighty nations.

Therefore, he must have reasoned, that even if he killed Isaac, God would raise him from the dead.

Abraham was maybe 113 years old, and as sober and intelligent as it gets.

He was not like some scatter-brained idiot of the modern era, who got saved in a Crusade, with a 3-Minute Indomie Prayer.

He knew that he was talking to God.

If I served God for 100 years, I would know what God's Voice was, and what it was not.

Since I am in God's Covenant, with specific Laws, it is impossible for me to murder an innocent life, even if I think God were telling me to, because it would be a violation of His specific Commandment.
Re: Can You Kill Your Son If God Tell You To? by Krasid(m): 1:03pm On Feb 20, 2015
Honestly i don't think i can.
Re: Can You Kill Your Son If God Tell You To? by oaroloye(m): 1:37pm On Feb 20, 2015
Jephtha, however, is a different case entirely.

. JUDGES 11:29-36.

29. Then The Spirit of The LORD came upon Jephthah, and he passed over Gilead, and Manasseh, and passed over Mizpeh of Gilead, and from Mizpeh of Gilead he passed over unto the Children of Ammon.
30. And Jephthah vowed a vow unto the LORD, and said,
"If thou shalt without fail deliver the children of Ammon into mine hands,
31. "Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth
of the doors of my house to meet me,
when I return in peace from the Children of Ammon,
shall surely be The LORD's, and I will offer it up for a Burnt Offering."
32. So Jephthah passed over unto the Children of Ammon to fight against them;
and the LORD delivered them into his hands.
33. And he smote them from Aroer, even till thou come to Minnith,
even twenty cities, and unto the plain of the vineyards,
with a very great slaughter.
Thus the children of Ammon were subdued before the Children of Israel.
34. And Jephthah came to Mizpeh unto his house,
and, behold, his daughter came out to meet him with timbrels and with dances:
and she was his only child; beside her he had neither son nor daughter.
35. And it came to pass, when he saw her, that he rent his clothes, and said,
"Alas, my daughter! thou hast brought me very low,
and thou art one of them that trouble me:
for I have opened my mouth unto The LORD, and I cannot go back."
36. And she said unto him,
"My father, if thou hast opened thy mouth unto The LORD,
do to me according to that which hath proceeded out of thy mouth;
forasmuch as the LORD hath taken vengeance for thee of thine enemies,
even of the Children of Ammon."

JEPHTHAH VOWED TO GOD, in a state of Spiritual Excitement- and, as we saw, did not realize the implications of what he was saying. There was no way for him to get out of the obligation, except, perhaps, by sacrificing himself- which he obviously had no intention of doing.

. NUMBERS 30:1-2.

AND Moses spake unto the heads of the tribes
concerning the Children of Israel, saying,
"This is the thing which The LORD hath commanded.
2. If a man vow a vow unto The LORD,
or swear an oath to bind his soul with a bond;
he shall not break his word, he shall do according
to all that proceedeth out of his mouth."

AS A CHRISTIAN, I don't get to make such offerings, nor swear such oaths.
Re: Can You Kill Your Son If God Tell You To? by torchwave: 1:55pm On Feb 20, 2015
That would be in direct violation of the commands of God as spelt out in the Bible, and as such is anything but the voice of God.

The Bible is the Christian's yardstick to determine the authenticity or falsity of any voice that claims to be God's.
Re: Can You Kill Your Son If God Tell You To? by johnydon22(m): 2:06pm On Feb 20, 2015
torchwave:
That would be in direct violation of the commands of God as spelt out in the Bible, and as such is anything but the voice of God.

The Bible is the Christian's yardstick to determine the authenticity or falsity of any voice that claims to be God's.

So the one that talked to abraham was not the voice of God?

was the dude hallucinating on wet weed?
Re: Can You Kill Your Son If God Tell You To? by torchwave: 2:24pm On Feb 20, 2015
johnydon22:

So the one that talked to abraham was not the voice of God?

was the dude hallucinating on wet weed?
One thing is certain. God is not an author of confusion.

In the time of Abraham, God had not given any set of laws to guide mankind. And where there is no law, sin is absent.

Thus, in Abraham's case, his obedience was put to the test which was a symbolic action God used to show the world how He would sacrifice Jesus, His only begotten Son, to save mankind from eternal damnation.

After the laws came, never for once did God tell any man to commit a sin He has explicitly warned against in order to test their obedience to Him.
Re: Can You Kill Your Son If God Tell You To? by johnydon22(m): 2:41pm On Feb 20, 2015
torchwave:

In the time of Abraham, God had not given any set of laws to guide mankind. And where there is no law, sin is absent.

Thus, in Abraham's case, his obedience was put to the test which was a symbolic action God used to show the world how He would sacrifice Jesus, His only begotten Son, to save mankind from eternal damnation.

After the laws came, never for once did God tell any man to commit a sin He has explicitly warned against in order to test their obedience to Him.

Oh men!!! now their was no law then, remind again is it not because of sin that sodom and gomorrah were destroyed? No sin then? why was the world destroyed during the time of noah since their was no law no sin?

Common mehn you can do better than this...

Our humanity should be our guidance to tell us that it is wrong to kill talk more of killing your own child.

If i were the one i would say "No i cant kill my son it is not right" i wouldnt even attempt it..

You guys always use this law crap to suit your deception but always forgets everybody have read bible smiley

2 Likes

Re: Can You Kill Your Son If God Tell You To? by torchwave: 4:50pm On Feb 20, 2015
johnydon22:

Oh men!!! now their was no law then, remind again is it not because of sin that sodom and gomorrah were destroyed? No sin then? why was the world destroyed during the time of noah since their was no law no sin?

Common mehn you can do better than this...

Our humanity should be our guidance to tell us that it is wrong to kill talk more of killing your own child.

If i were the one i would say "No i cant kill my son it is not right" i wouldnt even attempt it..

You guys always use this law crap to suit your deception but always forgets everybody don read bible grin
Now let me break it down to your understanding. The fact that I said that sin was absent where Law was absent does not mean Law and sin were non-existent.

Abraham was righteous because He faithfully obeyed the laws of God and he made sure his household did, too.

God punished the people of Sodom and Gomorrah because they lived wickedly, rejecting His laws and though He gave them time to repent they continued in their wickedness which is disobedience to the laws of God. God said in His word that in the days of ignorance, He overlooks. If He did not overlook their sins, then surely they were not ignorant of His laws.

Where God had not expressly forbiden an act, it was permissible as long as God was giving the command to perform that act but it would never contradict His commands. For example, in the book of Acts of the Apostles, in a trance where God told Peter to kill and eat animals He had forbiden the Israelites from eating in the Old Testament, Peter replied that he had never eaten any unclean animal. That was telling God that He forbade it and, therefore, he wouldn't eat it. God had expressly forbiden it in the OT. But God said, "What God has cleansed let no man call unclean." Peter told God His law about eating unclean animals. Note, this happened after the death of Christ. It means the old pattern of Law was no longer relevant through the death of Christ.

In essence, my point is God will never test our obedience by telling us to do something He has expressly forbiden and that in cases where His will about something has not been made known, it is permissible only when God is the One instructing it except, of course, the case of Apostle Peter where God was letting him understand that the old Law was no longer applicable to the believers since after Christ died on the cross
Re: Can You Kill Your Son If God Tell You To? by johnydon22(m): 5:00pm On Feb 20, 2015
torchwave:
Now let me break it down to your understanding. The fact that I said that sin was absent where Law was absent does not mean Law and sin were non-existent.

[size=20]Abraham was righteous because He faithfully obeyed the laws of God and he made sure his household did, too.[/size]

[i]God punished the people of Sodom and Gomorrah because they lived wickedly, rejecting His laws and though He gave them time to repent they continued in their wickedness which is disobedience to the laws of God. God said in His word that in the days of ignorance, He overlooks. If He did not overlook their sins, then surely they were not ignorant of His laws.

Which law again is abraham obeying? Just ur post below you said their were no law and it means their was no sin..

torchwave:
[size=20]
In the time of Abraham, God had not given any set of laws to guide mankind. And where there is no law, sin is absent. [/size]

look at how confused you are contradicting yourself anyhow... Everybody that comes accross this two post of yours i quote here and see the enlarged text will shake head at your confusion seriously..

First their was no law so abraham was justified to murder his son.
i pointed out sodom and gomorrah you changed stance immediately and said their was law.

which law again abeg?
nawa ooooo shocked
Hahahahahahahahahahaha this is so funny grin grin cheesy
Re: Can You Kill Your Son If God Tell You To? by Kedam(m): 5:22pm On Feb 20, 2015
That's duiring the old testament I can't because I know he won't. That's during ancient time.
Re: Can You Kill Your Son If God Tell You To? by johnydon22(m): 5:24pm On Feb 20, 2015
Kedam:
That's duiring the old testament I can't because I know he won't. That's during ancient time.
So God wont ask you to do that now?

Is the old testament Yahweh different from the new testament yahweh?
why cant he ask you to do that now, he changed?
Obviously the christian version of yahweh is so so different from the jewish/judaic version of Yahweh..

Btw the question didnt even ask if he can still ask you now; The question is
Will you do it if he tell you to?
Re: Can You Kill Your Son If God Tell You To? by torchwave: 11:27am On Feb 22, 2015
Johnydon22, let me clear your miscomprehension of my argument.

You've read the Bible, haven't you? Then you should be able to tell me the standard by which God was able to judge people righteous or wicked. You should be able to tell me what it means to walk with God like Enoch did or how Noah was able to find favour in the eyes of God where others couldn't. You who have read the Bible, tell me why God looked at the sacrifice of Abel with favour but did not look upon the sacrifice of Cain in the same way? Don't tell me these people were lucky enough to be favoured by God or that God showed partiality by favouring them to the detriment of others or that you don't have any idea cos that will only be admitting that you've been laughing at your ignorance all this while.
Re: Can You Kill Your Son If God Tell You To? by johnydon22(m): 5:17pm On Feb 27, 2015
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Can You Kill Your Son If God Tell You To? by Nobody: 5:59pm On Feb 27, 2015
johnydon22:

Now my question is

God is no longer interested in blood sacrifices. Jesus has paid the ultimate price.
Re: Can You Kill Your Son If God Tell You To? by frank317: 6:18pm On Feb 27, 2015
emrain:

God is no longer interested in blood sacrifices. Jesus has paid the ultimate price.

Alright..God is no longer interested in drinking blood after taking enough of that of his son which also happens to be himself?

2 Likes

Re: Can You Kill Your Son If God Tell You To? by frank317: 6:21pm On Feb 27, 2015
torchwave:
Johnydon22, let me clear your miscomprehension of my argument.

You've read the Bible, haven't you? Then you should be able to tell me the standard by which God was able to judge people righteous or wicked. You should be able to tell me what it means to walk with God like Enoch did or how Noah was able to find favour in the eyes of God where others couldn't. You who have read the Bible, tell me why God looked at the sacrifice of Abel with favour but did not look upon the sacrifice of Cain in the same way? Don't tell me these people were lucky enough to be favoured by God or that God showed partiality by favouring them to the detriment of others or that you don't have any idea cos that will only be admitting that you've been laughing at your ignorance all this while.

If you were Abraham and a voice in your head asks you to kill your son would you? Whether law or no law, didn't Abraham have conscience?

What kind of a God will test his faithful servant by asking him to sacrifice his own son?

Leave all this ur long story about law or not low... Just as long as they were humans is OK by me.
Re: Can You Kill Your Son If God Tell You To? by Nobody: 6:27pm On Feb 27, 2015
frank317:

Alright..God is no longer interested in drinking blood after taking enough of that of his son which also happens to be himself?

yes
Re: Can You Kill Your Son If God Tell You To? by johnydon22(m): 6:39pm On Feb 27, 2015
emrain:

Since he got tired of his blood thirst and wanted to stop (Even tho you guys say he never change) why didn't he go ahead and stop it instead of taking the blood of his son in a bid to stop it..

Why must he take the blood of his son to stop his thirst for blood. why not just stop it...
Re: Can You Kill Your Son If God Tell You To? by Nobody: 6:54pm On Feb 27, 2015
johnydon22:

Since he got tired of his blood thirst and wanted to stop (Even tho you guys say he never change) why didn't he go ahead and stop it instead of taking the blood of his son in a bid to stop it..

Why must he take the blood of his son to stop his thirst for blood. why not just stop it...

you can as well go down on your kneels and ask Him.
He listens...
Re: Can You Kill Your Son If God Tell You To? by johnydon22(m): 7:07pm On Feb 27, 2015
emrain:

you can as well go down on your kneels and ask Him.
He listens...

You that have been going down on your knees since... what answers have he given you? grin

1 Like

Re: Can You Kill Your Son If God Tell You To? by Nobody: 7:09pm On Feb 27, 2015
johnydon22:

You that have been going down on your knees since... what answers have he given you? grin

He always answers me.
Re: Can You Kill Your Son If God Tell You To? by johnydon22(m): 7:12pm On Feb 27, 2015
emrain:

He always answers me.

Then give me the answers to the questions i just asked... am sure he must have told you the answers grin
Re: Can You Kill Your Son If God Tell You To? by Nobody: 7:18pm On Feb 27, 2015
johnydon22:

Then give me the answers to the questions i just asked... am sure he must have told you the answers grin

they are your questions not mine. ask Him and give us feedback.
Re: Can You Kill Your Son If God Tell You To? by frank317: 7:19pm On Feb 27, 2015
johnydon22:

Didn't u hear? He drank enough of spiritual blood from his son who happened to be himself... You can imagine the blood flow. The one he took will last him till rapture

(1) (2) (Reply)

Clearification, Mr Mario Joseph On Islam About Jesus And Prophet Muhammed. / After 50 Years Of Demise, Fr. Pio's Body Has Refused To Decompose. (photo) / Help!!!! Can God Ever Forgive Me. I'm A Bad Person..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.