Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,228 members, 7,825,886 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 05:01 AM

Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? - Culture (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? (90692 Views)

The 10 Most Expensive Cultures/tribes In Nigeria To Marry From / If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) / 10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by kagel: 9:03am On Feb 23, 2015
A friend of mine has being dating a guy for some years now. She's not an Anambrarian. She's a very lovely lady,beautiful, kind, down to earth and she loves the guy so much.

I'm worried because the guy hasn't proposed and he is from Anambra state . I don't know if he'll eventually marry her because I've heard and I've seen a lot of people from Anambra state marrying from their tribe.

I need to know why they do that even when most times it's against their wish. What's your advice for her? Don't you think that the guy may eventually leave her for an Anambra Lady?

Thanks

Those Anamberians HEEM! THEY HAVE EYE IN MONEY MOST OF THEIR POOR MEN PERSHES ARONUD LADIES FROM OTHER TRIBS OR STATE,
AND MOST OF THE FINE GIRLS FORCE THEM SELIES ON RICH MEN FROM OTHER STATE AND TRIBS SELFISHNESS. WHILE MOSE OF THIER RICH GUYS MARRIGE ARE BEEN DECIDED MY THEIR PARENT ESPECIALLY THEIR (MOTHER MAMA AYI SI)

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by hopeforcharles(m): 9:06am On Feb 23, 2015
Radoillo:
*sigh*

How many threads now on the issue of Igbos being too clannish when it comes to marriage?

Maybe I should also start a thread and talk about the two Yoruba girls I dated ( the first during my NYSC days in PH, the second while doing my Masters' in Birmingham) who both told me their fathers would kick me, an Omo Ibo,out of their houses if I dared to show up at their homes talking about marriage.

You just gave me an idea, I have dated a lot if non Igbo girls and I can tell you sincerely speaking there are things I don't like about them much. May be I will open a thread about it.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by RuggedAngel: 9:11am On Feb 23, 2015
Marrying for same tribe wil b less stress in marriage. Mutual and traditional understanding

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by blaQie(m): 11:04am On Feb 23, 2015
Ok, i hardly comment on threads here but this really has my attention. I'm a full blown NWA ANAMBRA(both parents), over time i've heard lots of comments like this even among anambra parents. OP i'm going to answer your question from practical experiences,although i'm not ready for marriage i remember my mum telling my eldest bro long time ago that "who he decides to spend his life with is his choice, that marriage is like plucking pear from the tree, allow someone to pluck by his/herself so that if its ripe he enjoys if its not ripe he either makes it ripe or suffers whatever consequences it brings" So, you shouldn't generalize on the matter. On another note, i know some anambrarians do not fancy distant inlaws BECAUSE they are protective(and you don't blam any parent for being protective), parents believe if their children marry from within then it makes its easy to deal with any marital issue that becomes public traditionally e.g disagreements or a spouse dies. Personally, I DO NOT SEE MYSELF MARRYING AN ANAMBRA CHIC Ooo. And before i forget, believe it or not 'most' Anambra guys know how to take care of wifeys kiss kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by ak47mann(m): 11:18am On Feb 23, 2015
scantee:

don't say what ur not sure of, if I tell you what is happening here in Shell where yoruba dominated administrative positions, if I open up a bit you will melt, I only thank God I am ranked above all of them in my department so no room for shits.

reminder two of my elder brothers got married to yoruba ladies one from Ondo and other from Oyo.

during my Msc in Uni lag I met a gal by name Bisi we had an open relationship for few months when I wanted to take it to the next level she boldly told me that she would have love to be with my but her parents na no go zone with igbos, I asked her why, her response was damm funny. that her parents believes that igbo husbands used their wives for money ritual.

smh
After you too have bleep urselves silly in ur open relationship and she can come up with stupid things like that? Guy i have dated non igbo women to my surprised they never mention anything like that to me though it is me that dont want to marry from different tribe am going back to my root is more better for me cool

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by ak47mann(m): 11:23am On Feb 23, 2015
donsheddy1:
To me, this is no big deal. My parents had no right to decide for me a life partner. I was dating an ijaw girl for 3 years and everybody in my family loved her so much. On the fourth year we were making plans for my marriage and in that same year she got pregnant for my friend. As usual she said it is the devil. I had no choice than to leave her with the devil. Now my parents are now bringing in the logic y we don't leave our teritory when we wanna get ourselves a wife. But the choice is still mine to make not theirs okay?
nawaoo she get pregnant for another man while she was with you for 4 good yrs?this one is a real whoreee cool
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by mrtimycc(m): 11:24am On Feb 23, 2015
CHM11:

Delta/Urhobo
Served in a PPA with 15 corpers, 11 were igbos and it was hell for the 4 of us non igbos.
Ur attitude to them must have been very disgusting! Deltans stingy die! Even at the slightest thing

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by ak47mann(m): 11:42am On Feb 23, 2015
megacity:
The Igbos are of Jewish descent, a royal and peculiar people. Traditionally, Jews weren't supposed to marry gentiles....
you are very correct,in london here am going for a seminar in university of london is about igbo womanhood. Apparently in the olden days igbo women was running most of the business activities in igboland they basically controls the economy. Igbo women can marry another woman is still practice till today no other tribe does that in nigeria but in the bible you can find such practices and culture, before the white man came and this is how they change the system and gave more financial power to igbo men, though during the Victorian time english people believes that women should stay at home and look after kids cool

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by coolted(m): 11:43am On Feb 23, 2015
My cousin dated this anambra Guy for 6 yrs,she dated d guy wen he had nothing,yet she was still with him only for this guy to get money he told my cousin dat "my mother said I shud marry from my tribe".meanwhile he claimed he loved her.y didn't he define d relationship from d onset instead of wasting her time. Come to think of it y will a Man not be able to make his own choice nd decisions for a life partner,I believe he knows nd understands her better than his mother does to know if she'll make a good life partner.it's high time grown up men not boys or babies speak for themselves.Any man who does this kind of thing will face God's punishment for life.

I am an IBO an IBO man. from anambra in dunukofia LGA. I am married to a wonderful woman from ilesa in osun state. we have 2 beautiful daughters. I can tell you my wife's parents and even her brother who happens to be my friend objected to this marriage all because I am IBO. later my family joined in. but you know what my girlfriend stood her ground and I also was firm on my choice of wife. it wasn't easy but today its something we laff about.
we dated 7 years before I popped the question.

if anybody says IBO don't marry another tribe, I always ask what kind of relationship is the guy and gal having. if an ibo guy refuse a gal marriage it has nothing to do with his gal rather him or the gal has some unresolvable issue.

IBOs are free spirit you can't make them do what they never want to do.

my Granny always say "Nke owuna inuta ginaya ebiri"

pls note, other tribes are guilty of this.
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by ak47mann(m): 11:46am On Feb 23, 2015
mrtimycc:

Ur attitude to them must have been very disgusting! Deltans stingy die! Even at the slightest thing
Urhobo wayo people but one thing about them they have hustling spirit like igbos.Individually i think they are wealthiest group in delta state but they have dodgy character cool
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Kriptic: 12:05pm On Feb 23, 2015
chillingbabe:
Most caring my A.ss, you can't change the fact that an Anambra guy Will NEVER marry a gal dats not from his state..Was Lola accepted easily into the okoye's family? Go and google wat transpired before she was finally accepted,MumuMugu like you..
The only igbo guys that can marry outside there state are guys from IMO,ABIA,ENUGU and DELTA(ibo) ..Stop being pained niccur! angry
Go easy on the generalization. I have seen countless Anambra men (and women) marry outside the state.

My elder brother is married to an Akwa-Ibom woman
My uncle's wife is from Imo state
My cousin is married to an Idoma woman from Benue
Even my aunty is married to a Ghanaian.

And they didn't meet any form of resistance from the family.

You really need to look around. The number of inter-tribal marriages especially between Igbos/Yorubas and Igbos/SS (Akwa-Cross region, Edo, Delta, Rivers, Bayelsa) is now higher than ever.

Even GEJ's son-in-law is from Anambra. (Simon Onyemechi is his name, I think)

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by PoorUgly(m): 1:14pm On Feb 23, 2015
oneeast:
You have said the fact! But your name sound un-Anambran! cheesy

Dont mind me, its a mask! When I was in school a lot of ladies rejected me because I was poor and ugly, so I kind of come to get too used to the words.

And started liking them.

I use them in positive sense now, just like black Americans got used to been called NIGGERS and they started using it positively.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by orble: 1:52pm On Feb 23, 2015
My cousin dated this anambra Guy for 6 yrs,she dated d guy wen he had nothing,yet she was still with him only for this guy to get money he told my cousin dat "my mother said I shud marry from my tribe".meanwhile he claimed he loved her.y didn't he define d relationship from d onset instead of wasting her time. Come to think of it y will a Man not be able to make his own choice nd decisions for a life partner,I believe he knows nd understands her better than his mother does to know if she'll make a good life partner.it's high time grown up men not boys or babies speak for themselves.Any man who does this kind of thing will face God's punishment for life.

U can keep this advice to ur little son sweetheart.
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by orble: 2:04pm On Feb 23, 2015
ak47mann:
you are very correct,in london here am going for a seminar in university of london is about igbo womanhood. Apparently in the olden days igbo women was running most of the business activities in igboland they basically controls the economy. Igbo women can marry another woman is still practice till today no other tribe does that in nigeria but in the bible you can find such practices and culture, before the white man came and this is how they change the system and gave more financial power to igbo men, though during the Victorian time english people believes that women should stay at home and look after kids cool

Stop the stewpidity, Woman marry woman never happened in the Bible.
U can stay home and be fed by ur wife... ur choice!
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Nobody: 4:43pm On Feb 23, 2015
UjSizzle:

I don't understand why they'll date for 6yrs and neither of them ever discussed their tribal 'barriers'. Who does that? Sometimes I think women like to punish themselves. I know a person who dated a guy for so long and then lost him to another woman for this same tribal issue. It's so common today it should be part of preliminary discussions once things begin to heat up between two people.
But to wait forever and cry foul later? undecided Op should just tell her friend to discuss her fears (or lack of) with this guy. If he is from Anambra, then she has to talk about it.

I forgot to mention that part

That reason escapes me too. Not knowing where the realationship is going yet they will cry foul when they dump their asses.

Good riddance to bad rubbish

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by huntila(m): 6:58pm On Feb 23, 2015
Nna ehhh. No vex.. Na uzolexis I wan quote
bigfrancis21:

Biko, onye di ife a? cheesy
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by uzolexis(f): 7:45pm On Feb 23, 2015
huntila:
Uzo don vex!!!!!!!!!!! Who's annoying my uzo?
huntila:
Nna ehhh. No vex.. Na uzolexis I wan quote

Yemi u don go find trouble....abeg no carry me join, see as my pple dey vex for this thread I no fit fight for u them go say I be saboteur, u r OYO on this thread.
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by VirginFinder: 10:59pm On Feb 23, 2015
DonDiego:

Same here. I hate the Ifeanyi/Paul Adefarasin combination. But I hail the Emeka/Modupe Anyaoku combo.

It's ok.
However the scenario I dont fancy rarely happens.

You will agree with me that most Yoruba/Igbo intertribal marriages are between a Yoruba man and an Igbo woman.

Any Yoruba lady who marries an Igbo must have done so out of frustration/desperation after having waited in vain for a Yoruba suitor.

Egba(Abeokuta) ladies find no qualms in marrying non Yorubas especially ibos. I dont know why.

Ondo/Ekiti men marry ibo ladies a lot.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by VirginFinder: 11:02pm On Feb 23, 2015
Calculia:

See them...Have u ever seen an igbo man talk about marriage with yoruba lady, as vice versa with yoruba men handing their life saving? Even if u beg e no go happen.

Yorubas are the most tribalistic groups in Nigeria. That is why their women will never suffice. Their eye go still remain in igbo, even if the igbo guy marries a chinese woman. That chinese becomes most interesting. It is a complex issue

Your post is incoherent.
Use simple English.
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by ronald4lif(m): 1:22am On Feb 24, 2015
Shezhawt:
IRep anambra.... #sueme

Correct babe. Anambra amaka smiley

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by DonDiego(m): 4:36am On Feb 24, 2015
Actually, from my own observation, frustration has nothing at all to do with the cases of Yoruba ladies married to Igbo men that I know of. In fact I know of a particular case in which a friend of mine was practically trying to freed himself from a Yoruba girl he was dating when the parents of the girl started making trouble for him because they said he was trying to deceive the girl into dumping a young Yoruba naval officer that the parents of the girl had bethroted her to. But the girl said she didnt love the officer; that it was my friend she loved. Things came to head. My friend said he was no longer going ahead with the relationship. The girl said she would remain single if she couldnt marry my friend. In the end reason prevailed after the intervention of the girl's grandmother whose words were highly respected. Today my friend and his wife have celebrated their 16th anniversary.
I could have married a Yoruba girl myself except that at the time the girl was ready I wasnt. She had a lot of suitors who were Yoruba but she said it was me she loved. I told her I wasnt ready at all at the time and she said she could wait. I was not comfortable with making her wait especially since I was just finishing my NYSC and wasnt certain when I would get a decent job before talking of settling down.
In all, people marry others for one reason or the other but I want to believe that frustration isnt exactly one of them.

VirginFinder:

It's ok.
However the scenario I dont fancy rarely happens.

You will agree with me that most Yoruba/Igbo intertribal marriages are between a Yoruba man and an Igbo woman.

Any Yoruba lady who marries an Igbo must have done so out of frustration/desperation after having waited in vain for a Yoruba suitor.

Egba(Abeokuta) ladies find no qualms in marrying non Yorubas especially ibos. I dont know why.

Ondo/Ekiti men marry ibo ladies a lot.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by kekeoj15: 9:54pm On Feb 24, 2015
For the most part, I think most Ibos that replied this question are brainless (Now, they won't read all my notes, they will come after me as usual -mob mentality). The person that asked this question was referring to an Anambra man who happens to be a clan in Igboland, the person only needed to know why Anambra guys or ladies will "rarely" marry outside their clan. He/ She was not asking why Igbo is not marrying Yoruba or vice-versa. As usual, many of the Ibos will never read what was posted, all they will be looking for is a way to pull the Yoruba (Their perceived arch enemy) down even when it was apparent that some of the contributors clearly stated their tribes, Ibo will still rope them with the Yorubas and call them names, anyone could ask this question for Christs' sake. I have heard friends asking why Ekiti or Ondo will not marry an Ijebu, does that implies they are talking about the Yoruba not marrying outside their tribe? Please, stop promoting all these unnecessary hatred. We are all one in the eyes of God. Nobody is bashing the Ibos here, this should be a platform to correct the misinformation people might have about a tribe or people. Thank you.[color=#006600][/color]

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by prettymiss4433(f): 11:24pm On Feb 24, 2015
kekeoj15:
For the most part, I think most Ibos that replied this question are brainless (Now, they won't read all my notes, they will come after me as usual -mob mentality). The person that asked this question was referring to an Anambra man who happens to be a clan in Igboland, the person only needed to know why Anambra guys or ladies will "rarely" marry outside their clan. He/ She was not asking why Igbo is not marrying Yoruba or vice-versa. As usual, many of the Ibos will never read what was posted, all they will be looking for is a way to pull the Yoruba (Their perceive arch enemy) down even when it was apparent that some of the contributors clearly stated their tribes, Ibo will still rope them with the Yorubas and call them names, anyone could ask this question for Christs' sake. I have heard friends asking why Ekiti or Ondo will not marry an Ijebu, does thaimplies they are talking about the Yoruba not marrying outside their tribe? Please, stop promoting all these unnecessary hatred. We are all one in the eyes of God. Nobody is bashing the Ibos here, this should be a platform to correct the misinformation people might have about a tribe or people. Thank you.[color=#006600][/color]
Well said.Dnt mind dem.
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by tonychristopher: 12:00am On Feb 25, 2015
prettymiss4433:
Well said.Dnt mind dem.

eh

I as an anambra man answered that ...do you have comprehension problem.

Why labeling igbo as daft

You and your parry are retarded
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Drkul(f): 10:47pm On Feb 26, 2015
I AM IGBO AND AM NOT A TRIBALISTangry

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by OpraMenu(m): 8:42pm On Feb 27, 2015
OpraMenu:
I DON'T MIND MARRYING FROM OTHER TRIBES IF ONLY SHE CAN COOK OFE AKWU, OFE EDE, OFE NSALA, OFE UDA, OFE NSU AKWU, OFE ACHI, OFE OWERRE, TYPICAL ENUGU PORAGE YAM, AFIKPO'S IKPA YI NKWUKWO AND THE REST.
COME TO THINK OF IT WHY DO OTHER TRIBES LIKE TO MARRY IGBO LADIES ?
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by whatx: 9:26am On Feb 28, 2015
somegirl1:

Does an Anambra person refusing to marry an Imo person make the Imo person less Igbo? or does an Imo person refusing to marry an Anambra person make the Anambra person less Igbo?

You can't use a single experience to judge not just one group but various groups of Igbos with different orientations.

There is no smoke without fire.

Deep thought
Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Nobody: 6:47am On Mar 02, 2015
Eeeya,see how frustrated you sound after being dumped by someone from Anambra. You can't even spell and you want my people to marry you,sorry,we don't need olodos. All of you killing yourselves here,We no want you,no be by force oooooooooooooo

kagel:

Those Anamberians HEEM! THEY HAVE EYE IN MONEY MOST OF THEIR POOR MEN PERSHES ARONUD LADIES FROM OTHER TRIBS OR STATE,
AND MOST OF THE FINE GIRLS FORCE THEM SELIES ON RICH MEN FROM OTHER STATE AND TRIBS SELFISHNESS. WHILE MOSE OF THIER RICH GUYS MARRIGE ARE BEEN DECIDED MY THEIR PARENT ESPECIALLY THEIR (MOTHER MAMA AYI SI)

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbos Especially The Anambrans Marry From Their Tribe? by Redoil: 8:46pm On Mar 02, 2015
bigfrancis21:

There are several Igbo ladies that dated Yoruba guys only to get dumped by the guy for a fellow Yoruba lady. Such happen constantly. These ladies didn't cry foul, they moved on with life. One particular Igbo lady I know is in her 40s today and single because she was dating a Yoruba guy in her early 30s for 4 years who promised her marriage, she was happy that she was finally going to get married and her prayer to have a husband was finally answered, only for the guy's mother to reject her because she is Igbo and her son followed his mother's advice. At 36 she was single and dumped, older with fewer prospects of marriage. Now she's in her 40s and she still isn't married yet.

I don't condone tribalism, whatsoever. What happened between the Igbo guy and girl happens constantly within Igbos, Yorubas and Hausas. Some Igbo people date only to separate years after. Same for Hausas and Yorubas. It happens steadily. It isn't unique if that happens between people of different tribes. It all depends on the guy. If he really wants it to happen, it would happen, believe me.

Now, answer me honestly. Had this guy in question been a Yoruba guy, for example, about to dump the girl, say an Igbo girl, would you have opened this very thread in the first place questioning why Yorubas prefer to marry Yorubas?
give me the lady contact

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (Reply)

Hero:king JAJA OF OPOBO Full Biography,history Battle With The British(pictures) / Urhobo Names And Their Meanings. / HRH Prof Chukwuemeka Ike Is Dead, And No Heir To The Throne

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.