Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,207 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:49 PM

Lieutenant Tobi Cohen, The Nigerian in Israeli Army - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lieutenant Tobi Cohen, The Nigerian in Israeli Army (60130 Views)

Nigerian Army Lieutenant Killed In Boko Haram Attack (photo) / Photos Of Another Lieutenant Killed In A Boko Haram Attack / Lieutenant Colonel B.U. Umar Killed By Boko Haram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lieutenant Tobi Cohen, The Nigerian in Israeli Army by Handsomeemmy(m): 1:42pm On Feb 24, 2015
Passover is holiday which symbolizes renewal and change. These two special qualities define Lieutenant Tobi Cohen, who came all the way from Nigeria to serve in the IDF.

Tobi grew up on the stories of her father, an Israeli who served in the IDF as a soldier in the Armored Corps. “At age 16, I decided that it was my time to make a change. I joind a program which send young people to Israel, and eventually helps them make Aliya,” Tobi says. “After one year I joined a ‘Mechina’ (a pre-military program), and it was there that I started to feel more connected to the army.”

Tobi Cohen had everything that she could ever want: a home, family, friends, school. But for many years she had a feeling that she was missing something. “I always wanted to come to Israel, ever since I was a small child,” says Tobi, who spent her childhood in Nigeria. “I wanted a deeper connection, to understand what ‘Israel’ is, and not just through stories.”

Tobi’s journey was not easy. The language barrier was a major difficulty for her. “New immigrants are often embarrassed and ashamed to speak, because they may say something wrong, and I was one of them,” Tobi says. “But at some point I realized that I couldn’t go on like this. I made a lot of mistakes along the way, and it was hard, but it was worth it.”

A Far Away Dream

“Here in Israel, everyone sees the army as something very ordinary – they simply grow into this reality,” Tobi says. “For me, it was a far away dream that I wanted to fulfill.” That’s probably why Tobi was so enthusiastic to become an IDF officer. “After a a few months in the army, I already wanted to become an officer. I know it might sounds strange, but I fell in love with the army.”

Lt. Tobi struggled her way to Officers Course, slowly overcoming her difficulties with the language along the way. Her family supported her all the way from Nigeria, she says. “They flew to Israel and surprised me at the end of the course.”

Lt. Tobi Cohen is in charge of all the tutorials of the Home Front Command. She serve as a Deputy Training Officer in Haifa region. These include guidance on how to act during natural disasters such as earthquakes, fires and floods, as well as emergencies such as rocket attacks or the threat of a biological/chemical weapon. She works both with soldiers and civilians, making sure everyone is prepared for the worst.

A Glance To The Future

In three months, Lieutenant Tobi Cohen will complete her military service. “I’m so happy that I went through this experience,” Tobi says. “It was not easy, I must admit, but I don’t regret doing it for a split second.”

“I think that joining the army is amazing, and gives you a different perspective on your life. No matter how long a soldier serves, even if it is for a short period of time, it is an experience that changes your life.”

http://www.idfblog.com/blog/2014/04/15/never-stop-believing-journy-tobi-nigeria-idf/

50 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lieutenant Tobi Cohen, The Nigerian in Israeli Army by fiverrwin(f): 1:45pm On Feb 24, 2015
Ok

3 Likes

Re: Lieutenant Tobi Cohen, The Nigerian in Israeli Army by Nobody: 1:47pm On Feb 24, 2015
Fine babe... grin

91 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lieutenant Tobi Cohen, The Nigerian in Israeli Army by papaejima1: 1:48pm On Feb 24, 2015
Good one.
Big ups sister.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lieutenant Tobi Cohen, The Nigerian in Israeli Army by ellguapo: 2:03pm On Feb 24, 2015
Come join NA embarassed after the clueless has left, the incoming General will appreciate your worth

March4Buhari

*modified

122 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lieutenant Tobi Cohen, The Nigerian in Israeli Army by Ashleyma77(m): 2:19pm On Feb 24, 2015
pretty lady.

I'm sure she is well armed during duties unlike a country I know in west Africa.

42 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Lieutenant Tobi Cohen, The Nigerian in Israeli Army by ISpiksDaTroof: 2:28pm On Feb 24, 2015
Another brainy African lost to the outside world, while the ignorant ones stay behind and support crooks like GEJ and co that are intent on destroying their future.

128 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lieutenant Tobi Cohen, The Nigerian in Israeli Army by patrickmuf(m): 2:30pm On Feb 24, 2015
Nice one...
Re: Lieutenant Tobi Cohen, The Nigerian in Israeli Army by tobtap: 2:46pm On Feb 24, 2015
YORUBA JEW? cool cheesy grin... SHE FINE OOO

65 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lieutenant Tobi Cohen, The Nigerian in Israeli Army by Nutase: 2:54pm On Feb 24, 2015
my spec..... lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Lieutenant Tobi Cohen, The Nigerian in Israeli Army by MisterLongman(m): 3:12pm On Feb 24, 2015
ISpiksDaTroof:
Another brainy African lost to the outside world, whole the ignorant ones stay behind and support crooks like GEJ and co that are intent on destroying their future.
Lol.......
No wonder they are labelled "Dark Continent" because of their dark mindset

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lieutenant Tobi Cohen, The Nigerian in Israeli Army by sinkhole: 3:27pm On Feb 24, 2015
tobtap:
YORUBA JEW? cool cheesy grin... SHE FINE OOO
Yoruba don get Jew again? its OK ooo!

11 Likes

Re: Lieutenant Tobi Cohen, The Nigerian in Israeli Army by daviddd(m): 3:36pm On Feb 24, 2015
Very beautiful young lady with a focus. This story lends credence to the fact that, if you dream big, there's nothing stopping you from achieving your dreams. Go for it. Keep your head up always. Impossible is nothing!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lieutenant Tobi Cohen, The Nigerian in Israeli Army by tobtap: 3:44pm On Feb 24, 2015
sinkhole:
Yoruba don get Jew again? its OK ooo!
bros....i no know oooo...just made it up cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Lieutenant Tobi Cohen, The Nigerian in Israeli Army by stevecantrell: 3:45pm On Feb 24, 2015
Iya, if you're a soldier then I'm your ISIS. You can take me down any day. grin

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lieutenant Tobi Cohen, The Nigerian in Israeli Army by thaoriginator: 3:52pm On Feb 24, 2015
If I give this babe one blow, she go faint if not die.. Who give her uniform?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Lieutenant Tobi Cohen, The Nigerian in Israeli Army by REMMEI(m): 6:40pm On Feb 24, 2015
Auntie Tobi..

Keep being beautiful..

7 Likes

Re: Lieutenant Tobi Cohen, The Nigerian in Israeli Army by Handsomeemmy(m): 6:58pm On Feb 24, 2015
REMMEI:
Auntie Tobi..

Keep being beautiful..

Aunty Tobi ke? The lady fit be your younger sister ooo

Read more about her below.

From Africa with love: IDF gets first female Nigerian officer
Lieutenant Toby Cohen, 21, was born in Nigeria to a Nigerian mother and Israeli father • "I have fallen in love with Israel. This is my home and I see myself continuing my life here," she says • Cohen serves in IDF Homefront Command.

Danny Brenner

Lieutenant Toby Cohen: "It is very touching to be the first woman officer from Nigeria in the IDF" | Photo credit: Michel Dot Com

The Israel Defense Forces, more than any other organization, represents Israeli society. It is a melting pot that includes soldiers from all ethnic, religious and racial backgrounds, men and women, but even this human collage always has something new. For example, Israel's first female Nigerian officer, Lieutenant Toby Cohen, 21, who was born in Nigeria to a Nigerian mother and Israeli father. Her parents and 8-year-old sister live in the town of Kanu in northern Nigeria, while she immigrated to Israel on her own at the age of 17. Cohen serves in the Homefront Command.

"Even when I was 3 years old I knew I wanted to come to Israel. My father was born here and served in the Armor Corps, and our home in Nigeria was full of stories about Israel and the army," she said. "On Rosh Hashana and Passover we would always travel to celebrate with Dad's family in Israel, and as I was getting older I wanted more and more to get to know Israeli culture and strengthen my connection to Israel."

When she turned 17, Cohen immigrated to Israel alone within the framework of the Jewish Agency's "Young Judaism" program, and joined the Metzar pre-army educational program at Kibbutz Metzar in the Golan Heights.

On the Metzar program, Cohen learned Hebrew and her friends helped her get to know Israeli society more intimately and experience the country more completely. Cohen recalls that when her enlistment day arrived, her father came to accompany her on the special day.

"He was just as emotional as I was," said Cohen. "For him it was a dream come true, and his being there really helped me."

Cohen initially served as an operations sergeant in the Homefront Command, but was later accepted into the officers' training course. "My mother and my entire family attended the officers' graduation ceremony. It is very touching to be the first woman officer from Nigeria in the IDF. Obviously I have fallen in love with Israel. This is my home and I see myself continuing my life here."

Tzvika Levi, who heads the kibbutz movement's national lone soldiers program, said: "Yesterday I accompanied 250 lone soldiers to Bakum [the IDF's main induction center at Tel Hashomer]. The State of Israel owes them an enormous thank you for their willingness, determination and desire to contribute."

Levi emphasized the many hardships facing lone soldiers, saying, "When people say 'Good job, IDF,' they are talking about the lone soldiers who leave behind family, friends, jobs, studies and a comfortable life in far away countries, and come her on their own."

Levi added that lone soldiers come to Israel "with only one purpose -- to serve the country and contribute to its security, the purest and most honest way possible, and with all their hearts."

http://www.israelhayom.com/site/newsletter_article.php?id=13945

5 Likes

Re: Lieutenant Tobi Cohen, The Nigerian in Israeli Army by UnimkeAk(m): 7:26pm On Feb 24, 2015
Now this is what you call a beautiful woman,
not the mofo calling linda beautiful in the other thread.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lieutenant Tobi Cohen, The Nigerian in Israeli Army by LieDetector(m): 7:35pm On Feb 24, 2015
Sai buhari

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lieutenant Tobi Cohen, The Nigerian in Israeli Army by Iyowuski: 8:09pm On Feb 24, 2015
her papa na Isreali so how this come be news again
she has gone to serve her father's land(Isreal)

5 Likes

Re: Lieutenant Tobi Cohen, The Nigerian in Israeli Army by Reminez(m): 8:20pm On Feb 24, 2015
Cute soldier.

1 Like

Re: Lieutenant Tobi Cohen, The Nigerian in Israeli Army by GboyegaD(m): 8:56pm On Feb 24, 2015
she looks gorgeous.

2 Likes

Re: Lieutenant Tobi Cohen, The Nigerian in Israeli Army by ayodave: 8:56pm On Feb 24, 2015
That's great, I wish I could serve in US marine. If I can't my dauther will.

1 Like

Re: Lieutenant Tobi Cohen, The Nigerian in Israeli Army by pekeyim: 8:56pm On Feb 24, 2015
She's Cute

Hmmmmmmmm

That's all I have to say.
Re: Lieutenant Tobi Cohen, The Nigerian in Israeli Army by felai: 8:56pm On Feb 24, 2015
A good one, Since your dreams are being fulfilled.

In other news
Toshiba 8GB USB 2.0 OTG Flash Drive for
Android Smartphone/Tablet provides the easiest way to
move Photos, Music, and Videos between your android
phone or tablet and your PC.

For more information,
Please call or whatsapp on 080-5115-0299

*pay on delivery to anyone within Sokoto, ilorin, Oshogbo
environs*
https://www.nairaland.com/2109913/8gb-usb-2.0-otg-flash

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lieutenant Tobi Cohen, The Nigerian in Israeli Army by omanifrank(m): 8:56pm On Feb 24, 2015
waoo
Re: Lieutenant Tobi Cohen, The Nigerian in Israeli Army by Nobody: 8:57pm On Feb 24, 2015
Make he come kan help us kill all dis islamic mad men cum boko haram!
Re: Lieutenant Tobi Cohen, The Nigerian in Israeli Army by omanifrank(m): 8:57pm On Feb 24, 2015
barcanista:
Fine babe... grin
fine wating.. u see the teeth
Re: Lieutenant Tobi Cohen, The Nigerian in Israeli Army by alienvirus: 8:57pm On Feb 24, 2015
Rubbish

1 Like

Re: Lieutenant Tobi Cohen, The Nigerian in Israeli Army by Nobody: 8:58pm On Feb 24, 2015
MILITARY ZONE

keep off!!!!!! do not trespass

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Godwin Okafor: Naira Notes Will Be Out Of Circulation Soon / Screening Panel Recomends ‘Safe List’ Of 13 Aspirants. (see Names) / Uche Secondus Elected PDP Chairman Amid Protests By Other Aspirants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.